The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

jinx 09-29-2008 12:21 PM

Nothing could possiblee go wrong Shawnee... congrats on your now brighter future.

Rosetta Stone spanish is making me happy today. The kids love it. The boy filled a notebook page with words he learned today and they are asking if they can work on it even when it's not on the schedule... "on Saturdays and stuff?".

Yay!

glatt 09-29-2008 12:24 PM

Rosetta Stone is really good. We've got a couple languages you can do for free through our local library's website if you have a card.

Shawnee123 09-29-2008 12:46 PM

Thanks all! Can't let myself sell myself short once again!

I have thought about trying out Rosetta Stone. Are the programs geared toward particular age groups?

sweetwater 09-29-2008 02:57 PM

Stunning news of the better-than-expected variety. Our condo that has sat empty for about a year now is due to close tomorrow afternoon. According to the HUD statement received today we will be getting a little more than $2K over what we expected.

DucksNuts 09-29-2008 07:16 PM

My Grimbley cat, I need to learn how to do a video and post it on da tube....he's so funny when I am watering the plants. Bengals really do love the water.

Horse dude is making me happy too, he's lovely. :)

Great news Shawnee....::::out with the negative, in with the positive::::

jinx 09-29-2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 487825)
I have thought about trying out Rosetta Stone. Are the programs geared toward particular age groups?

No I don't think so. There are 4 pictures and you click the one that you think matches the written/spoken prompt.

HungLikeJesus 09-30-2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 487781)
I have negative thoughts creeping in that something is going to go wrong.

Nothing can go wrong. Nothing can go wrong. Nothing can go wrong. Nothing can go wrong.Nothing can go wrong. Nothing can go wrong.Nothing can go wrong. Nothing can go wrong.Nothing can go wrong. Nothing can go wrong.Nothing can go wrong. Nothing can go wrong.

dar512 09-30-2008 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 487781)
I have negative thoughts creeping in that something is going to go wrong.

Things always get hairy from time to time. Have faith in yourself that you can handle whatever comes up.

Make a list of things you have overcome in the past. This will help you remember that you have the ability to work things out.

Shawnee123 09-30-2008 10:33 AM

Thanks so much to you all. I have caught myself "stinkin' thinkin'" and my theory is that I so believe something will go wrong, I make sure I remind myself what a loser I am so that when it does I at least can wallow in my worthlessness. This is the trait I have been working on overcoming, and I don't want to lend any more credence to the idea of self-fulfilling prophecy.

Funny aside though: sometimes I'll play a silly little game in the car: the next song that comes on relates to (insert whatever event I want it to describe.) On my way to my 2nd interview, I turned on the radio and We Are the Champions was in the middle of playing, so I said "OK, the NEXT song is my omen song."

Next song was Tom Petty--"Baby even the losers, get lucky sometimes."

:lol: Have you even known such a weirdo who isn't afraid to admit it?

Flint 09-30-2008 10:37 AM

Here's what you can do with bad thoughts: visualize the bad thoughts being stamped repeatedly with a big, red CANCEL stamp, and say to yourself "CANCEL, CANCEL, CANCEL." Feel the feeling that you have cancelled those thoughts and don't have to worry about them anymore.

kerosene 09-30-2008 10:37 AM

Shawnee, you remind me of me. Recently some really great things have come to pass for us and I catch myself thinking that something major is going to go wrong...or that I don't deserve it...

But, I also have this fear that if I think about it going wrong it is more likely to happen...so it sort of keeps me in balance.

Are there too many voices in my head?

Anyway, don't fear. All will be well. And remember...even if something goes wrong with the new job (which it won't) you are still no worse off than you were before. :)

Shawnee123 09-30-2008 10:40 AM

I'm lucky to know you all, seriously...thanks! :blush:

Sundae 09-30-2008 01:49 PM

Making me happy today
Something awaited, but not expected arrived. Wonderful wonderful, I feel loved.

And I had my 6 month probationary appraisal today
It went so well - yes they want to keep me

I don't think I mentioned it here, but my 3 month one went really badly
JT had picked up on some of the issues I was having with the artists and the fact I wasn't used to being tied to a desk for 8 hours - I'm front of house effectively. She said she wanted me to seriously consider whether I felt it was the right job for me, and that EEA would support me if I decided it wasn't.

I - of course- took this to mean they wished they hadn't employed me but was too ashamed to sound anyone out about it. Instead I put my head down and worked damn hard, in the process realising the issues I'd had had already passed by the time of the meeting, and that JT was trying to be supportive and not rejecting me.

Anyway, that's water under the bridge - we've talked it through twice now and I am happy here, there was only a period of about 2 weeks where I was questioning if I was in the right place and that was more to do with being so ubnhappy at HM's.

The positive response I got today and the fact I could talk with such confidence about my achievements in the last six months laid that ghost to rest.

And I love that my boss is a spunky, pushy Australian who wants me to better myself. And thinks I'm great, and funny (I asked her tonight why she was dressing up, she said, "It's the Stevie Wonder concert! [networking event]" I said, "I know... but he can't see you!")

glatt 09-30-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 488299)
I asked her tonight why she was dressing up, she said, "It's the Stevie Wonder concert! [networking event]" I said, "I know... but he can't see you!"

lol

It's like the time Bush waved to Stevie when he came out on stage.

Shawnee123 09-30-2008 03:52 PM

Yay SG! :)