The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

infinite monkey 08-12-2011 01:35 PM

HA! Yeah, they know when my brow knits and I look like I'm about ready to cry...the genius is under the pressure. ;)

I love reconciling. It's why I wanted this job. It's just that I get so busy putting out the fires in the front the main part of my job gets put on the back burner. And it takes a ton of concentration to juggle these kinds of numbers.

I'm so freaking happy I can't stand myself. I've been a stress mess for too long!

footfootfoot 08-12-2011 07:29 PM

I think it's kind of funny that they would be willing to pay you for a few weeks to find a missing $2,000. At what point do they say let's just cut our losses?

DanaC 08-12-2011 07:43 PM

I've got my PhD Transfer coming up (about a year into the phd, you have to go through this process, where they look at your plan and some other stuff, and decide if there really is a Phd in it, and if it looks like you'll be able to complete the project within the allotted time).

I've been 'working' at it for a couple of months, but for the most part it's been like pulling teeth. Have to produce a sample chapter, or long essay of around 10k words, plus a report on the project to date, plus a chapter plan, or thesis outline and a working bibliography.

Anyways, after it just being a real bloody nightmare for weeks, it's started really coming together the past week. I have almost finishe dthe chapter/long essay. Just the conclusion to write and then the referenes and editing. Done the story so far on the prject and research, and got about half the bibilography done.

The long essay is good, i think. And so is the story so far. I'm really pleased with them. Also, whilst it's been a painful problem trying to pull this together into a structured form at such an early stage, it's been really useful. I am starting to see how this thesis might actually look.

Clodfobble 08-13-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae
Why does it always arrive all at once?
I sent Bri a postcard too, and she got it aaaaaages ago!

Do postcards take longer than regular mail? When I took a trip to England in high school, I mailed postcards to family and they didn't get them for like 3 or 4 weeks... But at the same time, I know packages usually only take a week or two, even if they're mailed through the regular post office. How long does a standard letter take, comparatively? Does real mail get higher priority than postcards, maybe?

Sundae 08-13-2011 04:24 PM

Within this country, postcards arrive in exactly the same way as any other post.
Overseas - who knows?

It's standard for people to arrive back from holiday a week or two before their postcards.
I sent and received back a DVD from Australia before I got my parent's postcard from Spain.

Perhaps it's just that they are small and light and get left behind in bags...?
Your guess is as good as mine.

footfootfoot 08-14-2011 01:29 PM

This is actually what's making me happy yesterday but there is some residual happiness today, so, whatever.

I completed the hunter safety course and got another 100. Awesome for me.

TheMercenary 08-14-2011 02:14 PM

F3, sweet. Did you ever get that gun?

footfootfoot 08-14-2011 02:54 PM

Still saving for it.

TheMercenary 08-14-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 750264)
Still saving for it.

Which one? make a solid decision?

BigV 08-17-2011 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm out of work, so, my cash flow ain't.

However, I'm not *at* work, so I can spend my days with SonofV. Today he asked if he could hang out with his friends. I said ok, and they decided to hang out here at the house. I stole this picture of them while they were all focused on the Mortal Kombat match. They're all friends at school, they're all good kids, most of whom have spent the night. I've seen them all before (actually, K, the girlfriend of J1, she's new to me). It makes me happy that SonofV is having a good time with his friends, that he's comfortable having his friends here at our (small) house, that he and his friends are practically oblivious to my presence. I'm just sitting here at the computer in the other room looking in on them. They're having a ball playing Xbox. They also have someone's laptop connected to the stereo so they can play the youtube videos at high volume.

They're such good kids. As a couple left, they said thanks, shook my hand, put away their dishes, just... just... solid young citizens.

I wish I was working, but I wouldn't trade this for a bazillion dollas.

glatt 08-17-2011 08:37 PM

I'm happy to be back home in Virginia with my father-in-law's NJ apartment contents sitting in my driveway in a UHaul I just drove down.

Tomorrow, I move his apartment contents into his new digs across town. I'll be happy when that's done.

classicman 08-17-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

I wish I was working, but I wouldn't trade this for a bazillion dollas.
damn straight. good on you & for you.

Aliantha 08-17-2011 09:22 PM

I love being able to be at home with my kids. I'm really very fortunate that we can afford (just) to do this. I do feel really sorry for families that don't get to spend a decent amount of time together, and I have to say that I think me being here makes a big difference to how they grow up socially and emotionally.

Sundae 08-18-2011 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Much as I denigrate my family, I do really love them.
In fact that's probably at the root of the issues I have with my sister (unrequited love).

She came over today to do Mum's nails & toenails.
Used my nail kit (birthday gift from Dani) and even more unforgiveably, did a bloody good job.

Nah, I'm not actually jealous. She's always been great at personal grooming. I used to "borrow" her things when we shared a room and I never made anything look as good as she did. Mum's nails look amazing, which means she's happy and therefore so am I.

Three generations.

BigV 08-18-2011 09:15 AM

nice!

you look really, really, *really* young in that picture Sundae.

Sundae 08-18-2011 09:17 AM

Snigger

I can't see myself in any of their faces.
But none of them seem to have been hit with the ugly stick - which I grew up believing I was.

DanaC 08-18-2011 04:27 PM

Funnily enough, as I was looking at the photo, before scrolling down to your last post, I was thinking your sister's lass looks more like you than her.

I am happy because I have finally fucking finished the sample chapter/long essay for my PhD transfer! Just shy of 10k words, and I am pretty happy with it. The 'story so far' research report is a hop, skip and a jump away from finished: just a few references to locate and put in. And I need to throw together a working bibliography (probably no more than an hour or two of work tomorrow).

I can't believe the chapter's done. It was like pulling teeth for most of it. Really only hit my stride about two weeks ago.

Lola Bunny 08-18-2011 05:05 PM

Sundae: That's a great pix of the female side of your family. Although I think they all have great smiles, I think you've got the best, sunniest smile. :D

Dana: Yay!! Congrats. That is a great accomplishment. :)

ZenGum 08-18-2011 10:47 PM

Great work, Dana!

However, I want to warn you about this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 751234)
And I need to throw together a working bibliography (probably no more than an hour or two of work tomorrow).

:lol2:

Words like those seldom come true.

Big Sarge 08-19-2011 01:35 PM

Love the pic Sundae. But you have to admit, you are the prettiest

Trilby 08-19-2011 03:23 PM

The West Memphis Three have been freed!

I'm so happy about that! I hope they can adjust to life on the outside.

Sundae 08-20-2011 12:13 PM

Lovely Bri on the phone.

Trilby 08-20-2011 12:14 PM

:lol:

Sundae beat me to it! was great talking with you!!!

I forgot to tell you - I had just finished watching episode six of Case Histories! I'll mail it to you when I'm done!

Sundae 08-20-2011 12:18 PM

I was super-quick wasn't I?
But we have a phone next to the PC.

No - don't mail it to me, if it has your approval I can watch it online (a new skill learnt because Starz has Torchwood: Miracle Day six days before the BBC)

If you want to post me something send me something cheap and light and uber-American.
Snax n candy n fings (nix on the peanuts tho).
I'll return the favour.

Trilby 08-20-2011 12:19 PM

Ok!

:)

Personally, I am liking it. It's *not* the books, but so few things are any good anymore...(crotchety old crone talking) and I DO enjoy looking at Jason Isaacs.

Sundae 08-20-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 751395)
Love the pic Sundae. But you have to admit, you are the prettiest

Pssssht. I grew up in my sister's shadow.
Until I was 19 I didn't have a boyfriend that didn't fancy her more than they did me.

I certainly do not think Abs looks anything like me, but it's probably more about her character.
My sister didn't bring her up to beleive she was strong and amazing and the world could go fuck themself if they disagreed.

But being a parent is 24/7 and if she'd been mine she might be really screwed up as opposed to just meek and mild and embarrassed by anything "flamboyant".

footfootfoot 08-20-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 751612)
Pssssht. I grew up in my sister's shadow.

That explains her extreme tan and your relative paleness.

Your sister has a very similar smile to you.

Sundae 08-20-2011 01:13 PM

The girl can tan, I'll give her that.
They'd just come back from Gran Canaria.

Personally I don't want to look like a cheap sideboard, but to each their own.

Do you really think we have the same smile?
Gutted.
It was the one thing I always thought I had over her.
The BFs who didn't fancy her always said that - "But you've got a beautiful smile" and as I got older the tits were an advantage too, but they never meant as much to me.

I don't compare myself to her looks-wise any more of course.
We're as different in that respect as we are in personality.
But of course the envy is still there, especially as she is in the same job as I am (and doesn't love it the way I do).

Sorry, this is the happy thread.....

DanaC 08-20-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 751637)
Personally I don't want to look like a cheap sideboard, but to each their own.

Sundae channeling Joan Rivers lol

Your smile is way nicer than your sister's and it was way nicer when you were kids too judging by the pics I've seen. I also think you were a more attractive child too. Like you say each to their own, and really not to put your sister down or anything, but she wasn't pretty in an interesting way. You were and are more striking.

Mum and J have both commented on how attractive you are from the photos they've seen.

Sundae 08-20-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 751639)
Mum and J have both commented on how attractive you are from the photos they've seen.

Now that's happiness! I am so easily flattered.
Thanks muchly x

Happiness today - I called up Tennant's Mum.
She's the one who had thyroid cancer, and never missed an opportunity to tell me how much Tennant adored me.

I asked for his (their) address so I could send a postcard - something children just don't get these days. I followed it up two weeks later with a pic of me on the beach (posted here - fully clothed! just with pink hair).

I left it a while because I didn't want to look like a stalker. I needn't have worried. She was really happy to hear from me, and we're going to meet up in the next week. Tennant was so pleased with my postcard and card he has both pinned up on his bedroom wall.

Big Sarge 08-20-2011 03:59 PM

Sundae. You've adorned my office & bedroom walls for years. You've had guys in Iraq and at the PD drooling over you. Even my girls love your hair & comment how cute you are. Take a bow, beautiful. Whenever someone asks, I tell them that is my dream girl!

Gravdigr 08-20-2011 04:22 PM

What's making me happy today?

The fact that it can't go on forever.

Sundae 08-21-2011 05:54 AM

Thanks everyone (esp Sarge) made me feel really good.

Dad's just told me that he saw my ex-husband yesterday. (Please note, my ex husband was a lovely man, not ever to be confused with the Evil Ex who I did not marry, just sold my soul to for far too long).

He called to Dad across the carpark they were both parking in, so it was contact initiated by him not Dad. That makes me happy - he got along well with both my parents and I'm pleased he still feels he can talk to them. Of course, being Dad, he came back with absolutely no information! I'd have loved to hear he was married with children and in a job he loved, that our cats had had good lives (17 years ago - chances are they have died by now).

Still, he made an effort to talk to Dad and that has really pleased me.

Griff 08-21-2011 12:30 PM

Awesome mtn biking today. That is all.

jimhelm 08-21-2011 03:05 PM

Rented a Harley. Rode to the beach. Sitting in Whitehouse subs now.

Pico and ME 08-21-2011 04:23 PM

How long a ride was that for you?

monster 08-21-2011 08:22 PM

Soldier Soldier on youtube :)

monster 08-21-2011 08:47 PM

(bye, family, see you in a week or so....)

jimhelm 08-21-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 751782)
How long a ride was that for you?

About an hour each way. Through the rain but sunny down there. I just got home and I am pooped... more on this tomorrow.

monster 08-22-2011 06:45 PM

Beest fixed my cuckoo clock :)

zippyt 08-22-2011 07:51 PM

Hey Now !!!
there is a NSFW thread for stuff like That !! ;)

monster 08-22-2011 08:01 PM

give it time....

monster 08-22-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 751792)
Soldier Soldier on youtube :)

Fuckers. Only Series 1 is on there :(

Sundae 08-23-2011 09:52 AM

Got an opinion in on 5 Live today.

It's a BBC Talk (and sport) radio station which we listen to all day every day here.
Well - I get bored when the sport is on, but I do sometimes listen to it in the evenings because it's a good indicator that I'm in the toilet or bathroom, but I'm mostly intersted in the talk side of things.

This is not Shock Jock radio - people with strong opinions get through, but not absolute fruitloops. All calls are screened and people with a coherent argument get to say their piece. I texted rather than called, and was amazed to hear my text read out. 5 Live has a huge listenership, but rarely covers things I can contribute to - although often I am interested in.

Julia Donaldson (author of The Gruffalo et al) was on - she's the Children's Laureate at present. Now I know how popular The Gruffalo is, and didn't think I had a chance, but sent in an anon text to say how much Tiger (description not name) adores the book and could not only recite it, but would copy the pictures, despite being unable to draw from imagination. And how proud that made him. She said that kind of feedback made her so proud.

11p very well spent.

monster 08-23-2011 11:40 AM

The pump to fix the pool is HHHHHEEEEEEERRRRRRRREEEEEEE!!!! woot woot woot

Rhianne 08-23-2011 01:24 PM

Sprouts are back in the supermarkets!

jimhelm 08-23-2011 01:26 PM

have been for a while. why were they gone?

Sundae 08-23-2011 01:48 PM

Brussels Sprouts are seasonal, and at least over here should herald Winter.

The sale of beansprouts may have been affected by the E:coli issue in Europe recently, traced back to a German farm (after their Parliament blaimed it all on dirty foreign cucumbers, yuk yuk yuk).

I like the seasonal variety of vegetables.
I slip up sometimes; I love lychees and figs. But I try not to buy things out of season.
To me it's less special to eat cherries in October, strawberries in March, parsnips in July. (I lie - I don't like parsnips at any time of year)

Sundae 08-23-2011 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I included the full pic of this in a thread a week ago, but having reviewed it, I did have to give a small cropped picture here.

It's so joyful.
Little Sikh/ Jain boy absolutely delighted to be allowed to run around in his pants!

footfootfoot 08-23-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 752151)
I included the full pic of this in a thread a week ago, but having reviewed it, I did have to give a small cropped picture here.

It's so joyful.
Little Sikh/ Jain boy absolutely delighted to be allowed to float into the air in his pants!

FTFY

infinite monkey 08-23-2011 05:33 PM

Thoughtful people who show they care, sometimes subtly, sometimes almost psychically.

More on this when I climb out of this dark hole, but thank you...you know who you are.

glatt 08-23-2011 07:20 PM

As I type this, my father in law is in his new assisted living facility just 8 miles away. The move from NJ went very well, even with an earthquake striking just after his train got in, and the facility being evacuated when he arrived.

classicman 08-23-2011 09:41 PM

Good to hear all went well glatt.

monster 08-24-2011 01:54 PM

I worked for money today. Not much, but you have to start somewhere and I already have more lined up. Gardening, of all things. :lol:

footfootfoot 08-24-2011 03:05 PM

Remember the male plants are virtually worthless yet carry the same penalty as the female plants.

monster 08-24-2011 03:38 PM

I got my second gig, start that tomorrow. And something else which might not work, but we'll see. Yes, my friend has started project "find monster paid work" after she said, "oh I started paying my son $20 to take out the trash and recycling" and I said "hell, I'd come and do it for that!" :lol:

limey 08-24-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 752388)
Remember the male pants are virtually worthless yet carry the same penalty as the female pants.

FTFY

zippyt 08-24-2011 06:28 PM

makeing Me happy you ask ???
we leave for Fla in the AM !!!!!!
WWWOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!

monster 08-24-2011 06:30 PM

Are you looking for hurricanes?

zippyt 08-24-2011 06:36 PM

they wouldnt DARE fuck up our vacation !!!!!!!