The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   My Kid is a Damn Nutter (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18924)

Pico and ME 05-18-2009 02:55 PM

Seriously adorable!

Clod, I was inpressed with how fast he leaned over to put an arm around minifob when she made motions to get off the chair.

DanaC 05-19-2009 05:06 AM

Been reading your blog. Really good! Y'know, when my mum was trying to cook for me on weird and wonderful diets, a site like this would have rocked her world. Well done.

Gorgeous kiddies btw. :)

Clodfobble 05-19-2009 07:21 AM

Thanks!

Clodfobble 05-30-2009 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And the emotional roller coaster, it just keeps going...

Minifob's still having constant, terrible diarrhea. It got briefly better right after we started the diet, but then slowly eased back into the horror it's always been. On the one hand, his massive cognitive and behavioral improvements do confirm that we're taking good steps overall, but on the other hand, I know he can't really get better until his digestion is functioning properly. I've been living and breathing his food diary for weeks now, experimenting with one thing after another... and I think I've got it narrowed down to the most horrible possibility. I think it's the rice. (Yes, it is possible to have an intolerance for rice, for the record.)

So that's lined up as my next experiment, removing one of only two major substitute grains left in his diet. I technically started already tonight, because he refused to eat any kind of dinner--either because he's getting sick, or because he loaded way the hell up on rice-flour birthday cake this afternoon. :) Happy birthday, kiddo. Maybe next year you can have a cake made of quinoa flour or some crazy thing.

monster 05-30-2009 11:09 PM

rice? oh fuck! But happy birthday, minifob!

Beestie 05-30-2009 11:42 PM

Gotta hand it to you Clod. There is no quit in you.

I remember when this discussion first started. Boy did I not get it. I think I get it now.

I'll say it again. You are one good Mommy.

And I plan on making your shepherd's pie this week!

classicman 05-30-2009 11:50 PM

Clod, I just gotta say I am constantly amazed at what you are doing.

xoxoxoBruce 05-31-2009 01:00 AM

Rice? I guess that leaves lard, whiskey and cigars. :rolleyes:

ZenGum 05-31-2009 04:46 AM

One for the desperate: you can make flour from acacia seeds / wattle seeds. Australian Aborigines used to make a kind of bread from it. I have no idea if it is suitable for minifob, but certainly, it MUST be cooked: in the raw state it contains anti-nutritional components. You MIGHT be able to get it at health food stores.

Just FYI, FWIW, which might not be much.

Best of luck.

Clodfobble 05-31-2009 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Rice? I guess that leaves lard, whiskey and cigars.

Whiskey is a grain alcohol, it's full of gluten... ;)

DanaC 05-31-2009 08:19 AM

Oh honey. I feel for you on the Birthday stuff. I don't know, but I may have already mentioned some of Ma's heroic birthday efforts over the years. My personal favourite (for giggle value...it tasted awful :P) was the jelly (jello) made from green seaweed.

Also, word of warning: arrowroot is not a good baking substitute for flour.

[eta] I haven't followed all the details of diet, so forgive me if this has already cropped up, but how is he with oats? If they're ok for him, you can make some great oat based party snacks.

Clodfobble 05-31-2009 10:23 AM

Pure, wild oats are technically gluten-free. However, there is basically no such thing in this country as harvested oats that have not been contaminated with gluten as part of the processing. I could grow them in my own backyard, or buy them from very specific expensive retailers, but that's about it. Most oat recipes still require finer-ground flours to fill out the texture, so it's just a nutrition additive at that point.

Undertoad 05-31-2009 10:35 AM

You're... you're gonna sow your wild oats?

Can we watch?

Clodfobble 05-31-2009 10:42 AM

:lol: I don't have many left, I'm sorry to report. That was called college.

And actually, I may be able to use oats as a substitute for small amounts of breadcrumbs, which could be very helpful if I can no longer use crushed up Rice Chex. It just won't help me bake a loaf of bread.

limey 05-31-2009 11:53 AM

I am in awe, clod. Great Praise to you indeed.