The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

classicman 07-09-2012 10:28 PM

Awesome!
One correction -
Quote:

if the teacher is patient and doesn't mind repeating themselves about 200 times A DAY.
If you need any help or have any questions - PM me.

infinite monkey 07-10-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 818708)
I just saw a presentation by a Blue Angel pilot and his crew chief and logistics guy.

Just. Wow.

The Angels have long been a family favorite: we used to watch the air show from my dad's lake/land and they often did their turnarounds right over our heads.

And my nephew now being in flight school for the Marines...I get choked up just thinking of it all.

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This made me very happy on Sunday:

At mom and dad's, and my brothers are there. They're going to try to find some sneaky spot from which to see the blue angels. My brother had just the spot. I rode with older brother, dad, a kid friend of the family. In the other vehicle was little brother and wife and their girls. Later, my oldest nephew came.

It was in a ________ (let's just say a place where people are dying to get in) and it was filling up. No one was bothering anything, of course. A man came around to tell us we had to leave. We sort of started packing up but none of the other crowds were really moving either. Like dad said, he was just doing his job, but no one was making an effort to leave, they just kept pulling in. About 600-800 people probably. Guy gave up...what can you do. Dad said if they decided to arrest anyone they could have him since he's retired. :lol:

Anyway, the Angels' flight path back to the show was right over our heads. At one point you could see the guys heads (who were flying upside down in formation) and see the heat/fire from the jet engines. And the SOUND. You can't be that close to that sort of thing without it filling you UP. It was beautiful. I saw the numbers on the planes and saw my buddy from the presentation.

I was so glad I had the opportunity.

I can't explain how thrilling it is to me, to all of us.

glatt 07-10-2012 12:08 PM

That's cool. I've seen both the Blue Angles and the Thunderbirds, and now that I think of it, I've never taken the kids. I should do that next time they come by.

infinite monkey 07-10-2012 12:12 PM

I've seen the t-birds too. Angels, probably because of the Marine thing, have a special spot in my heart.

You should take the kids. Mom took us, and in particular my younger brother, when we were kids...now my younger brother is taking his daughters and they are thrilled. Wouldn't be surpised if one of them took up piloting. :)

BigV 07-10-2012 06:34 PM

The City of Seattle has joined the federal case against DOMA.

wtg Seattle.

orthodoc 07-10-2012 10:56 PM

I am divorced. Got my decree in the mail today. I've actually been divorced for four days, I just didn't know it.

Not quite sure how I feel ... no gloating. Relief. Sadness. Grief for all the wasted years. But on some level, happy ... happy to be able to move forward. I hope I will be wiser in this new part of my life.

DucksNuts 07-10-2012 11:45 PM

I got divorced on my birthday...its the only reason I celebrate that day now :)

BigV 07-10-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 819391)
I am divorced. Got my decree in the mail today. I've actually been divorced for four days, I just didn't know it.

Not quite sure how I feel ... no gloating. Relief. Sadness. Grief for all the wasted years. But on some level, happy ... happy to be able to move forward. I hope I will be wiser in this new part of my life.

An observation, if I may.

You may well be wiser, this would not surprise me. But, if you are wiser, then "all those years" were not wasted.

I'm not just being pedantic. I have walked this road, and I'm a few miles ahead of you. I know something about what's behind me and ahead of you. I know I felt my time was wasted; later I realized I didn't waste my time. Some of it was genuinely good, and the parts that weren't good were instructive. But not a waste.

I'm happy you're in a much better place now, regardless. Congratulations.

limey 07-11-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 819391)

Wow, that was quick! Take your time to get to know your new status ...

DanaC 07-11-2012 05:35 AM

Already? Blimey.

Congratulations chika! Onwards and upwards from here :)

DanaC 07-11-2012 05:44 AM

What's making me happy is that Carrot no longer has to be shut in his crate at night!

Took the plunge night before last and let him have the whole of downstairs (it' such a small space anyway not like he had oceans to rattle about it!).

It was time. The last week or so every now and again at night he'd attempt to settle on a cushion outside the crate (pen) and I'd have to scurry him in instead.

I'd already decided in the day that's what I'd do, and had been about the place to make sure nothing to dangerous was left about for him to chew. Turned off all electrical outlets at the plug etc. Come nighttime, I said to him 'ok, Carrot, time for bed' as normal and he slunk off to his crate. I called him back out and told him to get on the couch. As he lay down on the couch I said 'there you go. bed time, night night' so he knew this was his new bedtime routine. Oh he was soooo pleased. Kicked his little legs back behind him and snuggled right into the cushions.

letf him there and closed the door to the stairs so he couldnt follow me up. Woke up late the next morning and he was fine. He'd done nothing untoward, no mad chewing that I could see. He'd obviously been awake for some time before me as the recylcing van had been and crashing bottles would have woken him up no doubt.

Last night again he was fine. Came down this morning to find him sat in the middle of the living room waiting for me (he'd have heard me moving ariound upstairs).

Really pleased. Been wanting to do this for a while. nearly did about a month ago, but held off as he was mad teething. But I am convinced thathe hasnt been sleeping well in the crate. Hot stuff nights despite the daytime rain. Room in the crate to move about and lie down, but not to change sleepng spot if it gets too hot. He'd been really tired a few mornings in a row. Now he's all full of bounce and happiness :0

BigV 07-11-2012 11:12 AM

Hooray for Bounce!!! :)

orthodoc 07-11-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 819397)
But, if you are wiser, then "all those years" were not wasted.

I know I felt my time was wasted; later I realized I didn't waste my time. Some of it was genuinely good, and the parts that weren't good were instructive. But not a waste.

I'm happy you're in a much better place now, regardless. Congratulations.

I don't exactly regret the years spent ... I couldn't have done this years ago, in fact I tried and didn't succeed. But I regret having missed out on a good relationship, one based on mutual consideration and respect, one in which both of us, not just one of us, showed love. There were good times, of course - there always are - but I wish I'd had the chance to experience a bond that grows stronger, a deep mutual connection.

However. I've had some good experiences in other areas of my life. And it all adds up to where I am today, and from now on I can choose who I wll be with, and under what circumstances. I'll happily be alone for the rest of my life rather than be in a bad relationship. For now I'll take a little time for myself. As you say, Limey, I need time to adjust. And thanks, Dana, hopefully things will look up from here!

Sundae 07-11-2012 12:47 PM

Our lovely Deputy Head is back.
And she brought me in some clothes and bits for the twins (she's been off on materniry leave). No idea how this will go down with my sister, but I hope Abs will appreciate them, as they are mostly larger sizes and all good names (like Gap) and most don't even look as though they have been worn.

I raised this in conversation with her about four months ago, but she is just the sort of good person who remembers and then delivers. She's included some toiletries and bottles as well as a couple of gift items which I could tell weren't to her taste :)

So kind.

Am going to pass them on to Abs when she goes home, which may be as soon as tomorrow! Question - I would really like her to send Ms Mc a Thank You card. How do I broach that? Take a card round and ask her to sign it? She won't do it off her own back. And I think it would seem like an arse-lick if I did it... Tempted to get one and get Mum to sign it so she doesn't recognise my writing!

BigV 07-11-2012 12:59 PM

Well, she did the favor for you. Not for Abs, not for the boys, though they are the direct beneficiaries of the gifts. It's not inappropriate to thank her yourself. It would be additionally nice to be thanked by Abs, and she's capable of understanding and doing. How much help/support/motivation is needed to get that done... I don't know. I'd be fine with getting the card and asking Abs directly to sign it after you've shown her the haul. Of course she'd sign it.

my two cent's worth. :)