The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

DanaC 10-05-2009 04:20 PM

*cheers*

Shawnee123 10-08-2009 07:15 AM

I just got word they found a liver for my ex cow orker and he went into transplant surgery Tuesday night. Waiting for word on outcome!

classicman 10-08-2009 07:44 AM

OMG - Thats such wonderful news Shaw!

monster 10-08-2009 09:12 AM

fingers crossed...

Shawnee123 10-08-2009 09:17 AM

Thanks guys. Isn't it wonderful? From death's door (more than once) to hopeful recovery. My ex-school put the word out to bombard him with cards, and I had just put one in the mail that had a big mean cat on it that said "Are you going to get well soon?" The inside said "Or am I going to have to get crabby?" LOL...I think he'll like it because we did some serious crabbing (and laughing) when we both worked there. :)

Shawnee123 10-08-2009 09:33 AM

New news: off respirator and breathing on his own. Liver and kidneys functioning, getting color back. He's a little behind in recovery because he was so weak to start with, but it looks good.

happy dance! By Gawd, I'm gonna see that effer at NEXT year's Chicken Festival. :)

classicman 10-08-2009 09:37 AM

I'm praying for him.

Clodfobble 10-08-2009 12:36 PM

That's awesome, Shaw!

Make sure you're signed up to be an organ donor, y'all. It might save someone's life.

Shawnee123 10-08-2009 12:38 PM

Good point, Clod. Thanks! :)

DanaC 10-09-2009 05:32 AM

Oh Shawnee that's so fucking amazing. *big hug* What wonderful news.

What's making me happy, is a haircut. yes, I know, after Shaw's that sounds woefully trivial but...I've avoided going into a hair dressers for most of the last decade. Every so often, maybe four times in last ten years, I've gone to a salon. It's always been stressful and a Big Deal. Mainly because I have eczema on my scalp and am very self-conscious about it if there's someone messing about with my hair. And also because it generally feels like a big spend to me, especially if I am wanting to colour it too. And then using the colour is always stressful, in case I react. So...making an appointment a few days ahead, I'd end up dreading it. And then half the time I've walked out not entirely happy with the cut.

I am fortunate that both my mum and my SiL can cut hair pretty well. But a professional haircut is a different thing.

Having some back-up cash in the bank (from Dad), removed a big chunk of stress from the idea and I've been mulling it over. Then I suddenly thought yesterday that actually, the eczema is hardly there at the moment. Haven't felt it much for a few days. So on my way into uni to see my supervisor, I dropped into the campus salon (in the underground campus shopping centre) and booked in for a cut and colour for after my meeting.

They were lovely. The place wasn't brimming with Beautiful Young Things as I had originally thought it might be. The Hairdresser I saw was great. Really nice atmosphere in there. Gave good advice on styles and colours. I was out of there in less than 90 minutes (pretty good with a permanent colour) and it only cost me £35 (plus £5 tip). Booked in a couple of hours ahead, so no build-up to stress. Didn't even have to travel to it, because it's right there on campus. Relatively cheap, but a nice salon; didn't feel stressed about the money because Dad's chased the wolf from the door.

I've gone to a darker and richer shade of brown. And I like the cut.

capnhowdy 10-09-2009 07:04 AM

I, too schedule haircuts around my sporadic eczema outbreaks. What an aggravation.

DanaC 10-09-2009 03:12 PM

Har! I just bought a new laptop and digital camera:)

I dont like travelling with my council laptop in case anything happens to it...and anyway I haven't got admin powers on it. My old digital camera has been a pain in the butt for a while - battery needs replacing and it's only 5mp.

I needed a decent one for my research trip at the end of the month, so I can take pics of the records rather than trying to note down all relevant details at the time. I also want a laptop I can work on comfortably. So...

Got an Acer Aspire 5536 Laptop (2.1Ghz, 1MB Cache; 4gb Ram; 320gb Hard drive) with a Sapphire blue finish.
And bought myself a Casio Exilim EX-S12 (plus additional 4gb Kingston memory card)

Did I mention I booked my research trip? *skips about a bit* oh yes. Travelling down to Kew Gardens on the monday (26th) spend all day tues and wed in the records office, travel back Thursday.

lumberjim 10-09-2009 04:33 PM

AND a new iPod?

you must have gotten a new sponsor?

Edit: ah..just saw your previous post. good for you, D. Material things CAN make you happy. it's just a matter of appreciating them.

ZenGum 10-09-2009 06:25 PM

Watch out Dana, you'll be a mainstream consumer/capitalist before you know it! You're on a steep, slippery slope!

Now, where's the instruction booklet for my home latte frother...

DanaC 10-09-2009 07:40 PM

Honestly, I find the whole choosing and making decisions on purchases too painful to start going through it as some kind of regular hobby :P The ipod was easy to choose, because I'd already tried mum's. The laptop on the other hand has taken several trips to look around stores and two or three stints of web-searching and reading reviews etc. Likewise the camera. And I am not sure I was making an informed choice so much as a blinded by too much information choice.

Ran the laptop spec past J before buying it and seems I lucked onto a decent choice...which was fortunate because two hours earlier, I'd been a mouse press away from panic-buying a £600 custom built Dell on account of being able to have it in blue. The machine I bought was £379. It's blue. See...my brain turns to mush if I have to make major/important purchase decisions.