The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Sundae 06-21-2013 08:13 AM

Oh, put in an application form for an evening job stocking shelves today.

No doubt they'll be inundated with applicants, but having got the job at Waitrose I am now much more hopeful about my employability.

Clodfobble 06-21-2013 12:17 PM

Just heard that two of my brother's songs got licensed to be played in a future episode of "Roadtrip Nation" on PBS. They're paying him real money for it (not a lot of money, mind you, but still actual money.)

glatt 06-21-2013 12:23 PM

Way to go, Clod bro!

BigV 06-21-2013 12:30 PM

that's the intersection of talent and luck you told us about! Congratulations!

limey 06-21-2013 02:18 PM

Good luck Sundae! Excellent, Clod!

Sent by thought transference

orthodoc 06-21-2013 10:03 PM

I am happy.

Finished the last class I'll sit through in this entire program; wrote the last exam until Boards; escaped and drove and drove north until I found my way to my own little patch of paradise.

I walked around my gardens, visited my trees. Checked on the fruit, the flowers, the wilder part. Sat very still and watched the does nibble at the slope and then fade back into the brush to bed down. Fed the small creatures.

Tomorrow promises so much. i have to fix the tomatoes and other veggies, do what must be done to get that deep green amazing growth going; and I have to go into town to the market house and visit the 17 year old who makes amazing wooden kitchen utensils as his means of funding university. I'll buy a few more things than I really need. And I'll stop in to the local family-owned bakery and buy some pizza and some cinnamon flatbread and whatever else they've got going, and listen to the local jazz for a bit ...

and I'll bring my treasures back and pound out that paper on polio immunization in Nigeria, once the WHO suspension is lifted ...

and it will be a great Saturday. At the end of the day I'll take my second son out for a birthday dinner (lots of birthdays this month) and encourage him in his recovery from many physical and psychiatric issues.

I am happy.

BigV 06-23-2013 11:05 AM

Ahhhhhhhh.......

Griff 06-23-2013 11:12 AM

Early ride today, reached the trailhead at 7. Trail conditions were ideal everywhere [retrogrouch]except where some highly motivated folks ruined a technical climb by turning it into a banked curves downhill for kids too lazy to get in shape to ride.[/retrogrouch] The trails were wicked fast and there is a really tight single track section that's been getting more traffic lately so its hard-packed with a lot of dips and quick turns... nice. Walk and short run after. now sweaty

Undertoad 06-23-2013 03:12 PM

5000 btu air conditioner is not expensive and makes life comfy

Chocolatl 06-23-2013 06:29 PM

Got to meet up with old high school friends at a wedding this weekend. Among them were an ex and a boy I had a crush on in 10th grade (lo these many moons ago.) Both of them are still single and, from a woman's perspective, understandably so.

While I was glad to enjoy their company, seeing them made me really, REALLY happy I did not pursue long term relationships with either if them. :lol:

glatt 06-25-2013 03:31 PM

We had this amazing HVAC guy who also did electrical work. He was a real gem. Old guy who knew everything and really loved our old house with all it's idiosyncrasies. He helped us out 3 or 4 times when we first bought the place. We were so sad when he retired about ten years ago and sold his business to a guy who had been apprenticing with him. We had that new guy do some maintenance on our AC and he was fine, but he wasn't Joe.

Well, today my wife noticed a problem with our AC. Which sucks. So she called the new guy and he said one of his technicians would be over later, and who shows up but Joe! I figured he would be in a nursing home by now.

Anyway, I'm really happy. Happier than I should be. I mean, our fucking AC is broken. But Joe is on the job! I hope he's still there when I get home. I mean I don't really. I hope he just reconnects a wire or something and the AC works again. But I'd love to see him.

glatt 06-25-2013 07:47 PM

It was more than just a loose wire, but Joe hooked us up and we have AC again!

Apparently some insects got into a little transformer in the condenser and shorted it out. He had to replace the part.

ZenGum 06-26-2013 06:10 AM

A good tradie is a damn good thing to have.

glatt 06-26-2013 07:23 AM

He checked the fuses out by the condenser, and even though they were good, he left us a spare fuse for free* in case one ever goes out. That's the kind of small thing that will buy loyal customers and give great word of mouth business. Joe rocks!

*Considering the whole service call was a few hundred bucks, the fuse wasn't exactly free, but it felt like it.

Most people wouldn't give you a freebie like that. This is the same guy who years ago gave us a radiator key so we could bleed our radiators ourselves, and who noticed that the pressure relief valve on our boiler didn't have a drain pipe to take any potential scalding water discharge down to floor level where it wouldn't burn us, so he installed one for free. He had an extra one in the truck from a water heater he had removed earlier in the day. Took an extra 2-3 minutes. Each time, he was charging us for the visit and these were all freebies.

Griff 06-26-2013 07:41 AM

That is really cool glatt! The electrician who signed off on my panel way back when stopped by a couple days ago. It was really nice talking shop with him. He was wondering if our whole house electric on demand water heater held up and we talked about alternatives if I ever have to scrap it (not making a sales pitch). He has a lot of alternative energy background and ideas... and I gave him a chance to complain about militarism and the NSA so he was happy too. :)