The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

nowhereman 06-02-2014 06:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice! Free bees are good bees. I went through my hives yesterday - they're building up quickly. These are 2 new packages of Italians this year, plus a nuc of Carniolans. Added upper deeps to both. Here's a nice frame of brood.

xoxoxoBruce 06-02-2014 11:33 AM

Oh, nice save Griff!

nowhereman, you should have been around here when a truck dumped about 20,000,000 bees on I-95. Talk about free bees. :haha:

monster 06-02-2014 05:24 PM

The I ninebeehive?

Griff 06-02-2014 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nowhereman (Post 900371)
Nice! Free bees are good bees. I went through my hives yesterday - they're building up quickly. These are 2 new packages of Italians this year, plus a nuc of Carniolans. Added upper deeps to both. Here's a nice frame of brood.

Looking good man! Do you have a preference for the Italians? I have video of my bees marching into the hive, that was so cool. I'll post it if it ever loads to youtube.

orthodoc 06-02-2014 08:32 PM

I'm planning to start beekeeping once back in PA in July. I have to read up on it beforehand ... griff, nowhereman, do you have any recommendations for references? My qualifications are that I'm not allergic. And I have a small orchard and tons of flowers. And four awesome hugekultur raised beds that my family built for me in the last short while, that I have to post pictures of as soon as I can. :)

Griff 06-03-2014 05:35 AM

We've got a few different books. Beekeeping for Dummies is nice because it doesn't tell you all the choices you could be making. The Beekeepers Handbook by Sammataro will give you more depth. There are a few bloggers with good info as well. Joining your local beekeepers association will be invaluable.

Here is the swarm video.

nowhereman 06-03-2014 06:42 AM

These Italians are doing really well so far, we'll see how they do going in to fall and winter. The Carnis overwinter with a smaller cluster and are more efficient with stores. They also winter lower in the hive. My first overwintered Carnis were down in the lower deep hive body, so I didn't see any activity in the top box. Thought they were goners, but once it warmed up a bit there they were. The photo of the honey I posted last year came from those bees.
Orthodoc, "The Backyard Beekeeper" is pretty good as a start. If you have time, I would seek out and join a local bee association. They can be of great help. If they run a bee school, that is always helpful. There is also a forum called "Beesource" that you may find interesting, but take the information there carefully. As with anything, if you ask 6 people, you may get 6 different answers.
Mike Palmer from Vermont is a well respected beekeeper - his opinions are always worth noting. Beekeeping, like most hobbies, is a slippery slope both time wise and financially. Enjoy !

glatt 06-03-2014 07:40 AM

That was a cool video, Griff! I've never seen bees marching like that.

orthodoc 06-03-2014 09:09 AM

Thank you both! I'll check into local bee associations and get a couple of books. There's no deadline for this, so I'll learn enough to feel comfortable before diving in.

xoxoxoBruce 06-03-2014 10:34 AM

Wow Griff, I didn't know they would do that.
That video needs Bill Millin and his bagpipes urging the marchers onward. :haha:

footfootfoot 06-03-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 900578)
Thank you both! I'll check into local bee associations and get a couple of books. There's no deadline for this, so I'll learn enough to feel comfortable before diving in.

What an epic lost chance at bee puns!

I am disappoint.

footfootfoot 06-03-2014 11:11 AM

I moved back into my house last night and haven't unpacked, but it feels great to be back. Once the shoulder gets better I will commence repairs.

glatt 06-03-2014 11:20 AM

Excellent! This makes me happy. It's your damn house, with all the work you put in it.

BigV 06-03-2014 12:33 PM

wonderful news about reclaiming your home.

good job.

Griff 06-03-2014 08:10 PM

Yeah, your gd house!