The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   April 26, 2009: Seehorse (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20154)

xoxoxoBruce 04-26-2009 12:21 AM

April 26, 2009: Seehorse

Tabitha Darling is not blind, but she is legally blind, which means Federal Law allows her ride her "service animal" into Target.
Quote:

"I do think there should be an allowance for comfort and therapy animals, simply because who are we to judge when somebody needs something?" Darling asked.
http://cellar.org/2009/seehorse.jpg

Carolyn Finefrock is blind, uses a dog to get through life, and objects to the expansion of the "service animal" list.
Quote:

Finefrock is concerned that an expanding list of service animals — from snakes to ferrets — are used by people who may not really need them. "Are they disabled enough to have the right? Are they disabled at all? Are they faking?" she asked.
Quote:

"It is a very touchy situation," said Charlotte Steward, an advocate for the rights of the disabled. She is opposed to any changes. "If you need that to feel comfortable or secure in yourself, or to deal with your disability, why shouldn't you be able to?" "It's just like using a walker or a cane, in my opinion, to get around in the community," Steward said.
Hmmm, riding your horse inside Target is the same as using a walker/cane?
As far as I know, walkers don't shit, bite, kick or step on people.

Maybe because I grew up with the accepted notion of seeing eye dogs for the blind, but that doesn't bother me at all. And therapy animals visiting nursing homes/hospitals, I have no problem with, great idea.
But I also grew up with horses and don't think they belong in stores.

For me the whole, "comfort and therapy" critters in the stores and malls is pushing it. Does that mean I can take my rattlesnake to the store because it makes me more confident? :eyebrow:

link

JuancoRocks 04-26-2009 01:08 AM

Seehorse

"Fresh muffins on aisle 12" takes on a whole new meaning.:D

hipshot 04-26-2009 01:15 AM

They are on their way to the cough drop aisle because....

(drumroll)

he's a little horse!!!!:rotflol::jig::lol2:

(I'm killin' myself here!)

corydodt 04-26-2009 01:52 AM

What's not clear from the article is how well the horse is actually trained. If it's trained as well as a seeing-eye dog, then it doesn't bite, shit, kick or step on people either. And if it doesn't, then that horse is totally fine in my book. In fact, in many ways it is a better solution than the dog, because the horse offers physical protection from harm - by being large, and by being faster than an attacker.

xoxoxoBruce 04-26-2009 02:04 AM

Protection shouldn't be an issue inside the store.
That Target store is in Texas but I've never seen any store in the northeast with aisles that wide. Up here you can screw things up with one shopping cart. :haha:

Cyber Wolf 04-26-2009 04:37 AM

Never heard of a horse being trained not to drop a load, solid or liquid, where- and whenever it feels the need. But this should take care of that issue. No need to stoop or scoop. Doesn't appear she's got one on that horse though...

SPUCK 04-26-2009 04:48 AM

Tabitha Darling = Dipwad

Aliantha 04-26-2009 04:58 AM

Yeah...I don't think horses belong in stores.

Griff 04-26-2009 06:23 AM

Bonifacio 04-26-2009 08:44 AM

Assistance/Service horse?

Actually, they've been training miniature horses as service animals for quite a while now. They can do a lot for folks with disabilities.

http://www.guidehorse.org/

(Be sure to read the part about their shoes!)

The biggest advantage to them over a dog is that they live a lot longer. Training a licensed service animal is a big investment of time and money. So service training agency can offer a lot more with a trained horse.

But this seems - well - a little over the top...
:rotflol:

capnhowdy 04-26-2009 09:16 AM

Like most everything else in America, a great idea goes to shit because everybody wants to jump the bandwagon. A line has to be drawn somewhere.
"If he can have a dog in a store, why can't I have a pony?"
"If he can take his pony in the store, why can't I take my horse?"
"If he can take his horse, why can't I take a bull?"

Who will have the right of way, the horses or the lazy, fat motherfuckers on those goddam scooters?

How do you define handicapped? Maybe stupidity is an illness.:eyebrow:

Pie 04-26-2009 10:01 AM

It is. Just not a terminal one.

dar512 04-26-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie (Post 560381)
It is. Just not a terminal one.

I have to disagree here, Pie. It is terminal in more advanced cases. Subtle indications like the line, "Hold my beer and watch this." will often indicate that the disease has progressed.

sweetwater 04-26-2009 12:46 PM

I'm glad the horse can take her to and from the stores, but it does not belong inside a store, out of concern for the other shoppers and especially the rider. The link shows a photo of her on horseback going through the doors. No helmet. I'd like to introduce her to a former coworker who is seriously brain damaged from thunking her head in the barn while astride her beloved, longtime, calm, well-trained horse. Except for that one time, you know.

Razzmatazz13 04-26-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capnhowdy (Post 560371)
Like most everything else in America, a great idea goes to shit because everybody wants to jump the bandwagon. A line has to be drawn somewhere.
"If he can have a dog in a store, why can't I have a pony?"
"If he can take his pony in the store, why can't I take my horse?"
"If he can take his horse, why can't I take a bull?"

Who will have the right of way, the horses or the lazy, fat motherfuckers on those goddam scooters?

"WAIT! What do you mean I can't just drive my car through the aisles? I NEED TO PICK OUT MY NEW SWIMSUIT, but walking is for losers. Heh, look at you, you walking loser you."