The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Griff 03-29-2013 11:09 AM

*ouch*

footfootfoot 03-29-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 858772)
It'll be all worth it when she drops out Junior year to tour with her punk band.

I think Harvard has a few scholarship spots for punk rockers. Or maybe I'm thinking of varsity rowers?

Griff 03-29-2013 12:10 PM

Same diff, they're all from the same talent pool.

Sundae 03-29-2013 12:16 PM

If you can EVER influence a teen to do ANYTHING, do try to suggest she studies a year overseas.
Not a gap year (translation: drinking) some way of continuing to learn outside of America.
Nothing wrong with America. But expand her mind - not everyone is lucky enough to have the Cellar.

Of course I'd suggest England, but even if she doesn't have a second language, Australia, Canada, Holland (two big thumbs up, many Brits actually go to Uni there now) etc etc.

I've been very fortunate in that I earned money young, so travelled when I had no commitments. Still have no commitments but then I no longer have any money :)
Go when you can is my advice. And my teen-mum niece is prrof you never know how long your freedom will last.

You can move locations when you are older (like some Dwellars, although the ones I can think of might wallop me for the description) but it's a wrench. You may even have to import a husband...!

Congrats on raising such a bright girl, though. Proud Papa.

footfootfoot 03-29-2013 12:23 PM

OK w00t 4 m3!

I just arranged a sublet for the next 3 months so I can get out of the house while I make plans for the bigger, final move. I haven't broken the news yet, but I'm in as of Tuesday!

I negotiated the rent down to $400/mo. so I should just be able to swing that and the mortgage.

Griff 03-29-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 858798)
If you can EVER influence a teen to do ANYTHING, do try to suggest she studies a year overseas.
Not a gap year (translation: drinking) some way of continuing to learn outside of America.
Nothing wrong with America. But expand her mind - not everyone is lucky enough to have the Cellar.

Of course I'd suggest England, but even if she doesn't have a second language, Australia, Canada, Holland (two big thumbs up, many Brits actually go to Uni there now) etc etc.

I've been very fortunate in that I earned money young, so travelled when I had no commitments. Still have no commitments but then I no longer have any money :)
Go when you can is my advice. And my teen-mum niece is prrof you never know how long your freedom will last.

You can move locations when you are older (like some Dwellars, although the ones I can think of might wallop me for the description) but it's a wrench. You may even have to import a husband...!

Congrats on raising such a bright girl, though. Proud Papa.

Her sister is doing a semester in Italy this Fall. I'm sure she'll want to do something similar.

Griff 03-29-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 858799)
OK w00t 4 m3!

I just arranged a sublet for the next 3 months so I can get out of the house while I make plans for the bigger, final move. I haven't broken the news yet, but I'm in as of Tuesday!

I negotiated the rent down to $400/mo. so I should just be able to swing that and the mortgage.

Row of ducks, you has them!

glatt 03-29-2013 12:37 PM

Good news all around!

Nirvana 03-29-2013 12:38 PM

F3 You are on the path to happiness! Good Luck! :)

Sundae 03-29-2013 04:10 PM

Foot, I am a little confused as to the meaning of our post. Something about paying the rent?
But you seems pleased, and so do other Dwellars on your behalf.

So, congrats.

footfootfoot 03-29-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 858832)
Foot, I am a little confused as to the meaning of our post. Something about paying the rent?
But you seems pleased, and so do other Dwellars on your behalf.

So, congrats.

I'm renting a place for 3 months at $400/mo. I also have to continue making mortgage payments for the time being.

glatt 03-29-2013 04:32 PM

And we're pleased because he's making progress getting out of his soul sucking relationship.

infinite monkey 03-29-2013 04:55 PM

Yay! Too nice a soul to get sucked out and all ruined and stuff.

And I'm happy for this place and my friends. Thanks for today. :)

Chocolatl 03-29-2013 05:16 PM

Happy Friday, infi. Hope the weekend brings you some peace!

orthodoc 03-29-2013 05:35 PM

Congrats! On to better things, on a better path.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.