The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My animal experience... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4315)

DNK 11-10-2003 05:08 PM

My animal experience...

Well, lets see. My ordeal began May 7th, 2003. A lady was evicted from the house she was renting on my street. She was about two houses down, across the street. She abandonded two dogs upon her departure. One was a puppy we (my wife and I) dubbed Happy, the other was older and a Chow we dubbed Sing Chi. We already have a beagel named Taxi, and three cats, Wally, Alley, and Rose. So we rescued these two new pups and they went into the back yard. I called the county animal control looking to have the lady brought up on charges for abandoning these dogs, but they told me since they were currently in my yard, they were my problem. So we went about calling adoption agencies and after a couple of weeks was able to get the puppy off and on it's way to a home. The chow, however, was a different story. We had to keep him around by default, being that we couldn't catch the damn thing. Two weeks after the puppy was gone, a german shepard mix ends up in my yard too. He was running free so I went outside to see if I could locate the owner. Well, this little bastard came running up to me and literally laid belly up on my feet. I leashed him and walked the neighborhood. We also put signs up on every exit from the neighborhood. Alas, his name is Charlie.
So to my ordeal. Three weeks ago we scheduled a vet appointment for both dogs, the chow and the shepard. Again, we couldn't catch the chow and only took the shepard to be fixed, get shots, and come to find out, treatment for heartworms. The very next day, the chow, along with our neighbor's dog, got out, went down the street, killed a cat and bit some old lady. I was fingered as the owner of the chow, but I argued with the officer that it was a stray, being that nobody can touch or catch it. He wrote me four tickets anyway with possible fines of around $1200.00.
Last Friday I went to court. I had prepared a ton of shit trying to support my case. I got four letters from neighbors confirming that the dog was a stray. Before I could begin my case, the officer stepped to the bench and said something to the judge I didn't hear. The judge then turns to me and says, "Upon the testimony of the officer, it is confirmed that the dog in question is not your dog. All charges are dismissed." I said "Thank you, ma'am" and high tailed it out of there.
So were we sit now, three strays in the last six months, one adopted out, one fixed and going to be a keeper. Two out of three ain't bad, is it?

GBA

DNK

bmgb 11-10-2003 05:29 PM

Oh, man.

I'm glad it turned out OK.

xoxoxoBruce 11-10-2003 07:15 PM

Call your Doctor. Tell him your suffering from an enlarged heart.:D

ThisOleMiss 11-10-2003 07:30 PM

You have my sympathy. Since we moved here we've been 'gifted' with three stray cats, one of which was pregnant and gave birth to five kittens, and five dogs, one that use to belong to the neighbor but decided he liked us better, and four puppies we found sleeping in the road. Two of the stray cats were fixed and now live with us, mama cat and her five babies, and the four puppies went to the animal shelter and have since been adopted out, hopefully to someone who has sense enough to get them neutered.

DNK 11-11-2003 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Call your Doctor. Tell him your suffering from an enlarged heart.:D

It's actually worse than I let on. The attack happened on a Monday. We were ticketed on Friday. That night, my wife and I went up to her parents two hours north to pick up the shepard from the vet on Saturday. When we got home Saturday, I helped my neighbor, the one on the otherside, drug the chow and carry him into her house and placed him in a crate. She has found an organization that vetted the dog and she's fostering him til they can find a home. An hour after I carried the dog from one neighbor's backyard, across my front yard, into my other neighbor's backyard, the dog catcher showed up. He placed a live cage on the side of my house in hopes to catch the stray. After court, he asked me about the black dog. I told him I hadn't seen it since that Saturday.

So I'm actually 3 for 3 in the last six months. But, I've got permission from the one who must be obeyed to not allow anymore strays in. At least for a while.

GBA

DNK

r9703410 11-11-2003 09:01 AM

Ah

lumberjim 11-11-2003 05:09 PM

dnk, what you need is a contact at a good vietnamese restaurant. wink wink

Griff 11-11-2003 07:09 PM

As soon as I read chow, I knew the story was gonna turn ugly.

xoxoxoBruce 11-11-2003 08:46 PM

Quote:

But, I've got permission from the one who must be obeyed to not allow anymore strays in. At least for a while.
Unless they're cute or hurt.:D

DNK 11-12-2003 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Griff
As soon as I read chow, I knew the story was gonna turn ugly.

The chow was so skittish, I really believe it had a secondary role in the cat killing. The lady whose cat it was was at court and essentially fingered my neighbor's dog as the main cat killer. It's ashame, cause my neighbor's dog is really sweet, just hyper. But yes, I was always a little apprehensive dealing with the chow, not really knowing where it came from.

GBA

DNK

hot_pastrami 11-17-2003 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ThisOleMiss
...one of which was pregnant and gave birth to five kittens, and five dogs, one that use to belong to the neighbor...
When I first read that, I thought you were claiming that the cat gave birth to a litter of ten... five kittens and five dogs. Gah! Had to reread it. I guess that means it's time for me to go home.

BrianR 11-18-2003 01:59 PM

I feel yer pain

as a veteran stray dog-dropoff, I can tell you that you never know what you're gonna get. Usually, they are just strays who eventually go back where they belong, but now and then I wind up with an unwanted dog and either keep it or find a home for it. I rarely resort to the SPCA, preferring a no-kill shelter or rescue organization.

On a side note, ALL my doggies to date have come from the pound and most have been very good dogs, except the Akita, who was abused and poorly trained/socialized and tended to bite first and ask questions later.

Junior, my current dog, was a stray and when I found the owner, he was apathetic towards the dog and was in the service besides. Dogs and the service do NOT mix. So I told him I was taking the dog away from him before something bad happened and he didn't seem to care one way or the other. Landlord was another story, but relented after meeting the dog and realizing that I was moving out in a few weeks anyway.

Bottom line, Good on ya, Mate!

Brian