The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

monster 05-08-2011 08:19 AM

I had the same initial reaction when i learned this is the normal way to buy chicks, Dana, but it's not like they're just shoved in an envelope and squeezed through the letterbox. And because it's the norm, the mail carriers are used to handling them. They dont get fed and watered en route, but generally the journey doesn't take too long. There is a new ordinance here allowing city dwellars to keep up to four chickens, so lots of my friends have been getting chicks by mail. Not many casualties, by all accounts.

DanaC 05-08-2011 08:31 AM

ok. That seems reasonable. As does the fact that it is the only way to maintain heritage breed stock.

*smiles*

I feel reassured.

[eta] Though...I am still somewhat bemused by the abortion comment...

Sundae 05-08-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 731962)
Hatchlings do have a high mortality rate, but you can blame Darwin for that.

Does he work for the US Mail now?! :eek:

Big Sarge 05-08-2011 09:31 AM

We'll see how this works with the mail. I sent a few chicks to Sundae and we'll see how they make it

Sundae 05-08-2011 09:46 AM

I'll eat them regardless. AND take photos.
Wait, shouldn't this be in the cunning linguist thread?

DanaC 05-08-2011 10:08 AM

Yeah.

Kinda lingers right?

Sundae 05-08-2011 10:29 AM

I was at the May Fayre at school all morning.
I loved it, only came home when I did because Mia was waiting for her lunch.

I wish I'd made a couple of big cakes for the cake stall after all.
There were only four, and they sold in the first hour. There were lots of little home-made cakes, and over double that number of bought ones. People do go for the home-made ones though. We were selling them for £4!

I saw a lot of my littlies. E & J turned up at my stall and promptly bought cakes their mothers had made - bless.
K was there with a Dad and sister, and an oriental woman. Could not have been the mother of either of them, simply going on skin tone (both very fair and very blonde) so must be step-mum. Surprised myself for being surprised.

Saw Tennant with his Mum. Apparently I am flavour of the month, everythng he says at home includes my name. Even when they were setting out for the Fayre he asked him Mum if I would be there. It may not last, but let me bask in unconditional admiration for a little while.

Kat was there, our problem child. I have posted about her before but I can't remember what name I used. She's the scowling dwarfish child who I have deliberately set out to woo. I was able to continue my assault on her when her Mum made a beeline for me. We sat on straw bales for about 30 mins to watch a Judo display. Kat had not spoken to anyone else all day. Not surprised, her mother is so keen to jump in and tell all her problems... Anyway I drew her out. Mum checked my name (Kat had replaced an L with an R) so obviously she has also spoken about me, despite Mum's claim that she says nothing about what she does at school.

I also saw Grace, my little chick from last year. She went to another school in September. So I made a fuss of her and she was delighted. She gave me one word answers but huge smiles. Children turn their loquacity on and off so quickly. Shyness. Sigh. Still, she came running over to me so I didn't feel I was imposing.

AND I took part in the Teachers vs PTA tug of war. We were trounced. Dismal failure. But there were three ladies on our team (plus me - not a lady) so at least the girls showed their fighting spirit. I think there were approx 20 on their team to our 10! Not whinging though, all great fun and I was so flattered to be asked. And no, I wasn't the anchor. Mr W is twice my size! And has a bigger beard.

Oh and finally I won some wine on the Tombola. Lovely!

Sorry to rattle on. With the 'rents away you're my only outlet when I've done something fun.

Griff 05-08-2011 10:41 AM

Glad to hear about it Sundae!

limey 05-08-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 731982)
We'll see how this works with the mail. I sent a cock to Sundae and we'll see how it makes it

FTFY

Aliantha 05-08-2011 06:18 PM

Sorry to have offended you Dana. It just seems to have a parallel for me. The whole idea of eggs and stages of development etc. At what point does the egg become a chicken. Is it before hatching when the chick is fully formed or not till after?

I hope you get what I mean.

DanaC 05-08-2011 06:22 PM

Ahhh. Ok yes, that makes sense.

I wasnt offended by what you said, I was just confused :p

morethanpretty 05-08-2011 11:56 PM

Got my last paper submitted! 6min before it was due...but hey...at least I got this one done. I hope to get a B, do not think I'll get an A, I just didn't have enough to say about myself.

morethanpretty 05-09-2011 12:38 AM

I was sooo close to an A! I got a 240 out of 300, 247 would have given me an A for the class! I have one test on Tues, with the potential of raising my grade 12 points, but I should probably not risk it and do another extra credit assignment also...

Damn! So close!

Griff 05-09-2011 05:38 AM

Go mtp!

monster 05-09-2011 07:31 AM

How on earth does a paper get graded so fast?