The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Boston Bomb Scare (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13220)

Elspode 01-31-2007 06:02 PM

I think we need to make up a bunch of these that have a scrolling display that reas, "This is not a bomb, you dimwits", and the stick them all over the place.

Then, if touched, the display should suddenly change to an animated explosion, with the word "BOOM!" in it.

Happy Monkey 01-31-2007 06:05 PM

The reporting was pretty consistently calling them "hoax devices", which upon first glance makes no sense, as they obviously were not intended to look like bombs, but that is the terminology in the terrorism law.

Spexxvet 01-31-2007 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 311916)
Quote:

"We regret that they were mistakenly thought to pose any danger."
Revised from: We regret that they were mistakenly thought to pose any danger, you fucking morons.

"but we're really glad we've gotten all this free publicity"

Kitsune 01-31-2007 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Funniest paranoia event of 2007 so far.

Flint 01-31-2007 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 311942)
"but we're really glad we've gotten all this free publicity"

I was telling my wife about this, and how they were supposedly in all these other cities for all this time, so what was it that made them a "bomb threat" in Boston? She says "Someone from Turner Broadcatsing 'reported' them in Boston?"

xoxoxoBruce 01-31-2007 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 311890)
WTF? It's just an LED throwie on steroids.

That was my first thought.

[soapbox] Don't be so quick to condemn the mayor and all the city agencies that responded to this. They're doing their job. They're doing what we want them to do for a change.... protect the public. They have to respond to any unknown with maximum caution.
Just because they are within it's range and not watching on TV from a thousand miles away, dictates extreme caution.

How do you know the next terrorist bomb won't have blinky LED cartoon characters on it? Once the bomb is placed, that would be a way to attract the maximum curious people close.

So there's no reason to break their balls for doing their job the way they have scripted and rehearsed it. [/soapbox]

As you were and thank you for your attention. :cool:

Kitsune 01-31-2007 09:05 PM

The stupidity continues following an incident in which the city of Boston protected its citizens by detonating advertisements. A student that works for the advertising company has been arrested and charged with "placing a hoax device that results in panic".

Quote:

“It is outrageous, in a post 9/11 world, that a company would use this type of marketing scheme. I am prepared to take any and all legal action against Turner Broadcasting and its affiliates for any and all expenses incurred during the response to today’s incidents. Boston will look to coordinate our efforts going forward with Cambridge, Somerville and any other affected agencies.”
So the city of Boston, instead of admitting they mistook a harmless set of lights for a bomb and tied up traffic for hours after announcing to the public that possible bombs had been planted around the city, pulls the "9/11 terrorism card"? And they're trying to tell us the advertising employee caused the panic?

You don't need to plant an actual bomb to bring a city to a halt, scare the public, and cause economic damage. All you have to do is hang a motherboard from a telephone pole or duct tape a flashlight to a bridge girder. That's essentially what this boils down to, right? If the police see something and don't know what it is, the default conclusion is that it's a bomb set by terrorists. And even if the package is harmless, if you're the person that left it, your ass is going to pay for causing panic.

Note to self: don't ever accidentally leave lunch box in the park, again.

I never thought the law enforcement organizations that protect our communities would be reduced to these types of unrealistic, excessive reactions. This is fucking ridiculous.

rkzenrage 02-01-2007 01:24 AM

They freaked out as if they had no brain, then acted like, and continue to act like, a bunch of assholes... that is all.
The terrorists have won, we have no Constitution and our "protectors" are a bunch of fucking ninnys.

xoxoxoBruce 02-01-2007 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsune (Post 311978)
[Note to self: don't ever accidentally leave lunch box in the park, again.

Absolutely, ever wonder how many do turn out to be bombs? Quite a few in this area, a rash of pipe bombs, the last couple years.
Muslim terrorists aren't the only ones that build bombs. Oklahoma City? :unsure:

If anyone would care to volunteer to check out suspicious packages, there's lots of openings, just contact the police.

tw 02-01-2007 05:04 AM

But again a well proven concept is demonstrated:
85% of all problems are directly traceable to top management.

A mental midget president has promoted fears in excess (for personal popularity). Even an advertisement must be a terrorist device. Same advertisements were in 10 other cities without calling out the bomb squad or National Guard. But hype and fear - this is how George Jr promotes popularity - because the boggy man is everywhere.

Of course we had more than enough security before 11 Sept. What changed? The administration stopped investigation after investigation that would have found Atta and his peers. The president, instead, promotes more fear, more dictatorship powers, more money, subvert the courts, torture… so that even LED displays “contain components of an inert bomb”. 85% of all problems are directly traceable to top management.

Secret Service must even check under the president's bed every night. He fears. It once got high approval ratings.

Sundae 02-01-2007 05:22 AM

What can I say - get used to it. Said with sympathy and sadness.

When I lived in London I lost count of how many times my journey was disrupted by a suspect package - in my 3.5 years there not a single one turned out to be a bomb.

And in the 10-odd years of staying with my grandparents in the school holidays I wasn't able to use a litter bin on a station platform because they had all been removed. True, London was still being bombed by the IRA during this time, but it was an everyday inconvenience all the same.

I'm not suggesting that the authorites didn't over-react in this case, but this is the way the world has been for a while and it seems to have finally caught up with America. In some ways you're lucky that the terrorists only seem to want to make big gestures in your country. It makes the plots easier to uncover.

Kitsune 02-01-2007 06:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dear City of Boston,

After witnessing the horror of yesterday's terrorist scare, I must warn you there are many more suspicious packages in your city! Included is a map of just a handful of the dozens that are hidden in many of your public, populated areas and are concealed in your parks where children play. These packages are often dangerous-looking ammunition boxes, camouflaged plastic bins, and magnetic holders attached to USPS mailboxes and benches. The contents of these packages is a mystery. They are placed by people using a system employed by the 9/11 hijackers, GPS, and are visited frequently by suspect persons attempting to keep their actions secret. Prepare your citizens for the mass panic to come! For more information on what roads to close, buildings to evacuate, and where to deploy your bomb squad/homeland security forces, simply follow this link.

We all pray for the best possible outcome, that these are hoax bombs, and that the criminals involved are quickly arrested and charged for their horrific actions.

Kitsune 02-01-2007 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 312022)
...but this is the way the world has been for a while and it seems to have finally caught up with America.

I heard this same argument used, on both sides of the Atlantic, after 9/11. I don't buy it in either instance and I hope that the US never becomes the police state that the UK is and that Australia is becoming. Just because the people in those countries submitted to it doesn't mean the US should tolerate excessive police force, cameras monitoring every angle of every block of city, and "hoax bomb" freak-outs.

You people are trying to ban pointy objects. Stop being so damned afraid of everything.

Flint 02-01-2007 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 312021)
But again a well proven concept is demonstrated:
85% of all problems are directly traceable to top management.

I was thinking about this yesterday. Fear. It's a great political tool, very useful in securing elections. It crushes all dissent, it spawns awful new laws, unimaginable (to a reasoning mind) legal precedents. So, it's a great tool for those interested in securing power.

But, what will they be securing power of?

A crippled society. A dysfunctional populace.

Fear changes the nature of the society, from the inside out. The country that you've wrestled into submission... Is it something you would even want any part of, now that it's a slobbering brain-dead goon, lumbering along in constant reactionary mode, stumbling forward with no clear goal, cringing at it's own shadow? Is it worth it? Now you're in control, total control, of a wasted, worthless society. You'll be on top for a few short years before the whole house-of-cards collapses.

I don't think the Fear card has been fully considered, before being brought into play.

Undertoad 02-01-2007 08:42 AM

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
-F.D. Roosevelt, during his first inaugural address. He went on to secure three more presidential elections.