The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

DanaC 01-19-2010 04:22 AM

Love that hat and jacket. That's a great look. You look like you just came from Camden Market in the 60s!

Sundae 01-20-2010 07:13 AM

Did have some good news yesterday, just didn't fancy reporting it.

I had a letter at the beginning of the month from Leicester City Council. They claimed I owed £270 council tax from 2007-08 and it was at the point where I would be expected to attend court and could be imprisoned for non-payment.

Now a year ago, or two years ago that would have sent me into a huge panic. I probably wouldn't have opened it in the first place, when I saw it was from Leicester in case it was bad news (which it was).

Instead I opened the letter, filled in the details on the back re my ability to pay and added a query as to what period this referred to given that I moved in July 2007 and had in fact already received a refund for monies paid.

Got a call yesterday from a very helpful lady at the Council. They had re-opened my file because of a letter from the solicitor working on behalf of the landlord back in 2007 to say I was no longer resident at the property. The letter was dated November 2007, so the assumption was made that I had been resident until that time. Which meant I was also liable to repay the refund.

Anyway, we cleared it all up. I do not owe them any money and they will be sending me a letter to this effect. Which is of course a good thing. But better is that I dealt with it all myself, no panic, no tears, no suicidal thoughts. I dealt with it like a normal healthy person would. What a wonderful realisation.

glatt 01-20-2010 07:23 AM

Well done, Sundae!

limey 01-20-2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 628428)
Well done, Sundae!

Yes, well done SG. You done good!

Pie 01-20-2010 02:02 PM

Dealing with the taxman is never any fun -- you handled it in a more adult fashion than many other people would have!

glatt 01-20-2010 02:10 PM

If you figure a penny saved is a penny earned, and SG spent maybe 20 minutes on the phone, she was making £810/hr for the time she was on that phone. Not bad at all.

Madman 01-20-2010 03:08 PM

My wife called and told me the Sun was shining. I had to go out and look... sure enough is!

monster 01-20-2010 08:22 PM

I passed my toe loop.

xoxoxoBruce 01-21-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 628426)
But better is that I dealt with it all myself, no panic, no tears, no suicidal thoughts. I dealt with it like a normal healthy person would. What a wonderful realisation.

I'm not sure about "normal", most people melt to quivering jelly when confronted by the taxman. :lol: But you surely did the right thing, good for you. Most of these things can be straightened out if you're calm, logical and organized... you aced that exam. Kudos!

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 628629)
I passed my toe loop.

Sounds painful, sorta obscene, kinda kinky.

Oh, wait, you mean figure skating... nevermind ;)

Pico and ME 01-21-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madman (Post 628554)
My wife called and told me the Sun was shining. I had to go out and look... sure enough is!

Which part of the heartland is that? Cuz this part hasn't seen sun in ...weeks?

limey 01-21-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 628629)
I passed my toe loop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 628882)
...Sounds painful, sorta obscene, kinda kinky ... ;)

I'm afraid that's exactly what I thought :blush: :o

Griff 01-23-2010 11:25 AM

I found a couple yoga stretches for my back and things are looking much better. A new mattress might finish the whole issue.

Pico and ME 01-23-2010 11:28 AM

Griff...you just gave me an idea for a poll.

Yznhymr 01-23-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 629459)
I found a couple yoga stretches for my back and things are looking much better. A new mattress might finish the whole issue.

Anyone have a yoga stretch for hip flexors? Mine is killing me. Started running again back in October and over use is causing severe pain.

Oh, and since this is the happy thread...running makes me happy!

Griff 01-24-2010 08:09 AM

I do a stretch (may or may not be yoga) that seems to help. I sit on the floor with one leg straight out and the other leg bent and over it with the foot dangling. I put my arms around my elevated knee and pull it to my chest. I only do this after a warm-up. Remember though I'm just some guy on the internet, don't hurt yourself.