The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Griff 04-20-2020 06:27 AM

I'm pretty chuffed.

Getting back to work is gonna be weird for everyone, glad he survived.

xoxoxoBruce 04-20-2020 02:07 PM

Are all those trees going to be planks or some for posts and beams?

Griff 04-20-2020 08:09 PM

Right now, I’m guessing what I’m going to need for a not yet designed table for Pete. I will probably turn the rest into sizes more typically useful. I have a lot of projects in my head that probably should be on a drawing table but sometimes you just need to make chips fly

footfootfoot 04-20-2020 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 1051091)
My son, the barber, just finished his application to request a gap year before enrolling in the University of Vermont.

I was worried it wouldn’t be approved, because with the uncertainty around Covid, literally every high school senior should be taking a gap year. But they responded within a couple hours approving his request.

He’s going to do forestry work at Philmont Scout Ranch in NM for most of the gap year. It’s perfect for him.

Groovy UV. One of my alma maters. Took dendrology 101 there. Great course in 1984.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Griff 04-21-2020 06:54 AM

Seems like a good course in 2020. I had a roommate in college who found stoned tree identification to be most soothing.

glatt 04-21-2020 07:19 AM

The expectation he has, based on conversations with Philmont staff, is that he will be cutting down trees and clearing brush in the Fall and stacking it up in big piles every 50 yards or so through the woods.

He's also going to join the skeleton crew that works the winter season. They have the honor of burning all those piles of timber.

All this is in some of the most beautiful country in the US. I'm not sure if he will be hiking in and camping to do this work, or if they stay at the base camp in cabins and drive out to the work site each day on the network of dirt roads on the ranch. But either way, it's exactly the kind of thing he loves to do. Room and board included, I think. The food situation is pretty good too. A step above backpacking food.

He's applied with a good buddy of his that had done trail work with him last summer as part of a trail crew at Philmont, and they worked well together. It should be fun for him, and a lot of hard labor.

Griff 04-21-2020 07:27 AM

Is it habitat restoration?

glatt 04-21-2020 08:14 AM

Wildfire mitigation, I think.

monster 04-21-2020 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 1051091)
with the uncertainty around Covid, literally every high school senior should be taking a gap year.

Looks like they are. Uni of Mich -my main place of job application- just announced a complete hiring freeze with the exception of the hospitals due to the projected income deficit due in part to the uncertainty of student numbers/tuition fees for next year :(

I had found a job Sunday night with a deadline of yesterday and I was just working on a cover letter when the press release came out :( so after a grocery run and dinner prep, I decided fuck it, banged out a quick cover letter (probably shittiest ever but....) and submitted it at 11:59pm. I guess that made me feel accomplished for a brief while yesterday, even if it was a completely pointless exercise

BigV 04-22-2020 11:33 AM

Well done monster.

I've been in the same position scrambling to meet a midnight deadline for a job posting. I'm glad I did, despite not getting the job. You're doing the right thing for the right reasons. Keep it up.

monster 04-23-2020 07:05 PM

I cut my hair!

It's shorter and I can spike it again and I can't believe how much happier it's made me. It was driving me nuts. Nutser than I realized, apparently.

I'm no newbie to hair cutting. I always cut my own pre-kids (but it was longer then, which is easier to do on yourself), and beest's, and the kids' until they were middle school, but it does take time and so once we had a little more money and I went shorter and the cheap production-line places like Great Clips were a thing... I paid someone else to do it (and hated every second of it)

And Bajaboi made delicious dinner (which is how I found time. kinda. dinner was ready before I was completely done, so I'mm'a tweek the back another time, but only I know what isn't as I would like it there ;) )

And I ran my 50th mile since Parkrun stopped so that's an accomplishment. Happy is not a word I associate with running.

glatt 04-23-2020 07:10 PM

Well done!

Clodfobble 04-23-2020 09:29 PM

Nice!

limey 04-24-2020 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1051457)
I cut my hair!

It's shorter and I can spike it again and I can't believe how much happier it's made me. It was driving me nuts. Nutser than I realized, apparently.

Gah! I know what you mean. Mine's going to get like that soon (and after not making it to the hairdresser's for far too long far too frequently recently the last time I was there I was crowing that I'd be back on a schedule at last! [nope]).
Mr Limey is not, I think, a hairdresser in the making so either I do it myself or go stark. STARING. MAD!

Carruthers 04-24-2020 05:03 AM

I was in dire need of a haircut before this caper began.

Not only do I now resemble a badly thatched cottage, I'm beginning to feel like one.

Can dry rot in the purlins and Deathwatch beetle be far behind? :eek: