The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

monster 02-01-2013 10:36 PM

oh wait, this is the hqappy thread.... retract that. no don't ....puppies turn into dogs. :(

get a kitten, iM. u can has kitteh. ;)

monster 02-01-2013 10:51 PM

Making me happy? not a whole fuckload but I'll give it a go.

1) The effects of the paindkillers i took in order to be sensible and follow the guidance of those who know about these things have worn off. NEVER AGAIN.

2) I found Thor's phone

3) I got some cleaning done (the type hat no-one ever notices until it doesn't get done, but hey.....)

4) I took a nap! I actually slept and everything, albeit at 6pm rather than 11am when i really really needed it. Baby steps......

5) um..... maybe I'll get back to you.....

5)

footfootfoot 02-01-2013 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 851173)
you cannot have a puppy, IM

Nor:

sexobon 02-01-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 851146)
Hello from Denver.

I thought John was dead. It doesn't matter, so long as you get that Rocky Mountain high. Stop by the Denver Mint and ask for free samples.

BigV 02-02-2013 03:12 AM

Too late.

infinite monkey 02-04-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 851152)
This looks like FUN!!!

Sent by thought transference

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 851173)
you cannot have a puppy, IM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 851175)
oh wait, this is the hqappy thread.... retract that. no don't ....puppies turn into dogs. :(

get a kitten, iM. u can has kitteh. ;)

I didn't go to my friend's house to watch Puppy Bowl, since I was sick, but I watched it from home. It was heeelarious! Just a bunch of puppies on a gridiron playing with toys and jumping all over each other and stuff. Halftime show was kittens playing with kitten toys, theh mounds of confetti raining down. It was really adorable and funny.

I maybe get a kitteh this spring? Ill see how it goes. :kittysmilie:

Aliantha 02-05-2013 05:05 PM

Get a kitty. It will love you and snuggle with you. :)

I'm happy thinking about my upcoming weekend away with an old friend. It's been so long since I had any time where there wasn't at least one kid around one way or another. Years. I don't get time to myself really because Dazza is away so much. It's no wonder I go a bit crazy at times. The problem is too that his travel is never on a schedule, so I can't even go to a regular thing each week for me time or anything like that.

Sux.

That's why I'm sooooo looking forward to this weekend. Two whole days of no kids, pets or husband. I may even turn my phone off!

infinite monkey 02-06-2013 08:01 AM

Have a great time, Ali. Relax with some 'your time.' :)

Sundae 02-07-2013 02:20 PM

Had my latest blood test results yesterday,
Almost all in the normal range - one at the high end of normal, but showing an increase (good) since the last test.

The important enzyme is still too high.
But it started at 400. Now 148. Needs to go down to 50-60.
Quite dramatic progress shown. Fair enough. More work to be done. Doc doesn't feel I need I need another test for 6 months unless I go on a significant bender.

Almost all minor symptoms absent now - bowels reasonable (eating habits - meh), no nosebleeds, no more nausea or bloating or severe abdominal pain.

As per the apprehensive post though, it may all have been for nothing.
Which doesn't belong in the Happy Thread.
But then this is not about papering over the cracks any more, this is about staying alive.
Doc says if I get my enzymes down to 60 my liver can be classed as recovered.
But it does rely on abstinence, probably for life.

I had no idea how close that bullet came.

limey 02-07-2013 04:56 PM

Fantastic improvement, Sundae! Well done grrrl!

footfootfoot 02-07-2013 05:50 PM

What's the difference between an enzyme and a hormone?

Clodfobble 02-07-2013 06:00 PM

Want to answer the question seriously, but I'm too afraid I'm being set up for a punchline...

Lamplighter 02-07-2013 06:33 PM

One climbs the wall, the other makes you want to climb the wall.

footfootfoot 02-07-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 851797)
Want to answer the question seriously, but I'm too afraid I'm being set up for a punchline...

Consider the source. You ought to know that I know the difference so you are right in expecting the punchline:

You can't hear an enzyme

Sundae 02-08-2013 06:19 AM

Excuse me Foot.
I am not particularly vocal during intercourse, neither do I charge for it.

The fact that I moan on the internet is neither here nor there.
I resemble your remark.

(j/k of course, made me laugh)

jimhelm 02-08-2013 08:38 PM

I just discovered that my mom snuck a bar of Cock Soap into the basket she brought when she came to visit....http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/09/e9a7ugur.jpg

uh huh huh.... My mom is cool [/butthead]

footfootfoot 02-08-2013 09:41 PM

It's not on a rope, Jim. What is she implying?

Nirvana 02-08-2013 10:09 PM

I just bought an infrared sauna [cheap]I can't wait for it to get here so I can sweat. We start calving cows in 2 weeks and the oldness in my bones is lurking. Should this be in post whore? [winter brain go away]

footfootfoot 02-08-2013 10:49 PM

I would love a sauna right now.

Nirvana 02-08-2013 11:07 PM

all of you but your hand :)

footfootfoot 02-09-2013 12:02 AM

I'd keep that part out the door

orthodoc 02-09-2013 08:33 AM

Would love a sauna, too! Can we all come try your sauna, Nirvana? :p:

I am seriously happy this morning. No vomiting, not even any nausea!! I feel like I can take on the world.

footfootfoot 02-09-2013 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I built a counterflow wort chiller and it is amazing. Wort goes in at 190°f and comes out at 70° a few seconds later. They look something like this:

It's awesome that I can chill 5 gallons of wort in about two minutes. Last month I put a 5 gallon pot of hot wort outside in the snow in 10°f weather and it took 8 hours to go from 190° to 87°.

Timer is calling me! Time to chill.

ZenGum 02-09-2013 09:10 PM

Sounds like it was wort your while.

Nirvana 02-09-2013 09:31 PM

Chillus Convolutus

Love to have you share the sauna unfortunately it is the "Two Broke Girls" kind, one at a time please :) {cheap, portable}

xoxoxoBruce 02-09-2013 09:33 PM

Yeah, never let 'em see you sweat. ;)

footfootfoot 02-09-2013 10:01 PM

Two Broke Girls?

I'll bring my toolkit.

Pete Zicato 02-12-2013 07:39 AM

Leftover brisket sandwich and chex mix for lunch.

Sundae 02-13-2013 06:41 AM

I am wearing my £5 cardigan. Is fur trimmed. Probably real cat!
It may not survive the first wash, but unless I spill something down it, I can put that off for a while; I'll always be wearing it over clothing.

Diz now seems used to it. He only needs a little dissausion to stop biting it. I think he thinks I've grown some fur, because he was proper snuggled in to me earlier.

It's a warmth choice as well as a fashion choice - if something bought off Milton Keynes market can be called fashion! I am saving my "good" clothes for school (if I am ever allowed back) and t-shirts and strappy tops no longer cut it in this weather now I'm not over-heated by drink.

Saying that, it is 18 (65) now, next to the radiator. I might have to take my hat off soon.
Probably go out for a walk first though, good for me as well as having a cooling effect.

nowhereman 02-13-2013 01:02 PM

3 of my beehives have good activity today, the 4th is probably ok, just a different strain of bee.:D

orthodoc 02-13-2013 01:52 PM

Good to hear. The bees in our area have suffered in the past few years. I wouldn't mind keeping a few hives (in future) - sort of minimalist beekeeping if there is such a thing.

jimhelm 02-13-2013 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 42831
Early Valentimes pressie!
A Money Tree!

Sundae 02-14-2013 05:52 AM

Permission to be jealous, sir?

Griff 02-14-2013 05:53 AM

Nice!

Chocolatl 02-14-2013 07:48 AM

I had a money tree, once.

It died.

I imagine that can't have been good for my financial mojo.

jimhelm 02-14-2013 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 42838

It works!

footfootfoot 02-14-2013 10:47 AM

And the copper will keep the powdery mildew at bay during the hot, damp summers!

limey 02-14-2013 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Double bling from Mr Limey today :)
The single stone ring is our wedding ring (he has one, too). I couldn't make up my mind and neither could he,so he got both!

Sent by thought transference

Sundae 02-14-2013 01:31 PM

Limes that's gorgeous!
Happy VD, bling-girl :)

Give Mr Limes an appropriate kiss from me.
Maybe just a buss on the cheek for being such a good man.

And give the boys one too.
But you can be all cuddly and extravagant with that one.
In fact Mr Limey might want to share that duty.

Diz got all my cuddles today (still poorly - am a little concerned).
It's not quite steak and a BJ, but I cleaned his dirty bottom and was sanguine when he dribbled on my neck. Can't say that about any man I've ever dated.

DanaC 02-14-2013 01:49 PM

VD?

Sundae 02-14-2013 02:07 PM

Valentine's Day.
As abbreviated by dried up old crones.

Gravdigr 02-14-2013 02:09 PM

@ Limey:

I thought I was white, but, dayum girl! I bet you glow in the dark!

:p:

jimhelm 02-14-2013 02:28 PM

Oooooh! Shiny!

orthodoc 02-14-2013 02:29 PM

Beautiful, Limey!

limey 02-14-2013 04:20 PM

Oh golly that's come up huge - perhaps a mod could make the pic a little more modest, please???
Thanks peeps! I'm well please :)

footfootfoot 02-14-2013 04:48 PM

I thought they were bracelets. Seriously. I couldn't figure out why the wrist looked so unwrist-like.

Nice bling!

Nirvana 02-14-2013 04:54 PM

Jim took my words! Shiny! :O Very nice Limey!

And Sundae you are as juicy as a plum :) Anyone would be lucky to pick you!

Aliantha 02-14-2013 06:40 PM

I got my car back after a week of no car. I am happy. :)

Pete Zicato 02-15-2013 11:28 AM

Taking a day off.

Griff 02-15-2013 11:28 AM

ditto

DanaC 02-15-2013 12:04 PM

Jan's thinking of doing a masters at my uni, so when I went in for my office hour today, the two J's were in the foyer for the open day. We had a coffee together and a natter before I went to the office and they went off for the funding talk.

was kind of nice seeing them on my turf so to speak. Made all the nicer by the way lots of people coming through the foyer said cheery hallos to me.

One of those 'yes, this is where I belong' moments :P

Mind you...this is in theory the last year of my PhD...no idea what I'll do after. So...may not belong for very much longer lol

BigV 02-16-2013 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 851007)
In other news--

My aunt is in the hospital. I am taking my mom to go see her. This is a *serious trip*. She's sedated to stop the seizures enough to get the medicine in her. She's on a respirator. My uncle called me this morning to tell me she's in the hospital. It's the latest trip of many after a fall where she smacked her head. The swelling did not respond to moderate interventions, so two weeks ago she had major brain surgery. She'd been home a week, today, when she started seizing again.

My mom had a major stroke in 1997 and traveling with her is an ordeal. Having her only sister dying in the hospital will make the traveling seem like an insignificant distraction. I don't know how long I'll be gone. I need to get all this shit together then call my uncle with the details of our itinerary.

I feel powerless to help, immersed in busy work, unable to relieve any of the anguish they're suffering. Now to my list. :cry:

Going home today. Wheels up in a few hours. I'm tired, sad; my aunt died. But I did my best for her and my uncle and my mom and that makes me happy.

Knowing I'll see Twil and the rest of my family in a few hours makes me very happy.

DanaC 02-16-2013 05:56 AM

Well done V. You did right by your people.

*hugs*

Safe trip home hon.

BigV 02-16-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 851146)
Hello from Denver.

Goodbye to Denver

Come on SEATTLE!!!

orthodoc 02-20-2013 05:05 AM

Wrote a midterm yesterday that I'd honestly thought I couldn't manage. It wasn't my best work but I got it done. Small victories. Two more to go this week. (That prospect isn't making me happy but ... one half-day at a time. What would make me truly, deliriously happy: a good night's sleep.)

Sundae 02-20-2013 05:23 AM

Diz is eating again.
He's more lively.
And HE DID A POO!

I think he is on the mend.
Really wish I could have taken him to the vet, but it does look like it was just a bug.
Need to start a Diz Welfare Fund (ha ha ha - me saving!) so I never have this worry again.

Also had my scan today.
Don't get the results until next Thursday.
But at least it's out of the way.
She proper jabbed it in under my ribcage though. Ouch.

Well done, V. Did what you had to.
Ditto, Ortho, just in a different way.

orthodoc 02-20-2013 07:01 AM

Glad to hear that Diz is on the mend, Sundae. I hope your scan results next week are good. Any chance of you posting more of your excellent menus and even a few recipes? I don't have enough energy yet to cook at night but reading your healthy menus keeps me looking forward to it.

@V, a wearing week but important and well done. You must be glad to be home.

footfootfoot 02-20-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 853666)
Wrote a midterm yesterday that I'd honestly thought I couldn't manage. It wasn't my best work but I got it done. Small victories. Two more to go this week. (That prospect isn't making me happy but ... one half-day at a time. What would make me truly, deliriously happy: a good night's sleep.)

You know what they call the woman who graduates at the top of her class?
Doctor.

You what they call the woman who graduates at the bottom of her class?
Doctor.

If they gave handicaps for chemo brain on papers and exams I'm sure you'd have aced it.

xoxoxoBruce 02-20-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 853666)

Has anyone told you you're absolutely fucking amazing, lately? :corn:

orthodoc 02-20-2013 12:35 PM

Thank you, foot and Bruce ... I don't feel amazing, just so exhausted that I could lie down on the floor and go to sleep at any given moment. Except at night, when I lie awake staring at the ceiling until sunrise! Chemo definitely messes with Circadian rhythm. But thanks for your encouragement; it's been a disheartening few weeks. One half-day at a time.