The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Griff 02-24-2019 10:00 AM

Excellent

Carruthers 03-04-2019 06:57 AM

Today my mobile phone contract cancellation has taken effect.
It was costing me £17.50 ($23.10) per month and was rarely used.
I still have my old PAYG phone which I kept going by using it once a month and that's all I need.
There's £9.50 credit on it and that will be sufficient for months.
I only need the mobile for when I'm out of the house so Dad can get hold of me and I'll make what few calls I need to from the home landline.

I feel curiously liberated.

Glinda 03-04-2019 10:14 AM

I've used Tracfone ever since I got my first cell phone. It costs about $80 a year. Liberating indeed!

Gravdigr 03-04-2019 11:58 AM

If they would let you use the data ports on their fones...

Or let ya get pics off one of their fones that don't use data cards...

Or let ya bluetooth photos off the fone...

Or had customer service that was actually worth a shit...

Or, meh, you get the idea.

But they are cheap. My TracFone only cost $4. Wasn't even on sale.

I've used them for a number of years, but TracFone is basically useless and a joke for anyone who actually uses a cell phone.

Glinda 03-04-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1027345)
If they would let you use the data ports on their fones...

Or let ya get pics off one of their fones that don't use data cards...

Or let ya bluetooth photos off the fone...

Or had customer service that was actually worth a shit...

Or, meh, you get the idea.

But they are cheap. My TracFone only cost $4. Wasn't even on sale.

I've used them for a number of years, but TracFone is basically useless and a joke for anyone who actually uses a cell phone.

Which makes them perfect for me!

I can get pics off my phone (I just email them to myself and open the email on a computer). Bluetooth? I don't know nuthin' about no Bluetooth. I can make calls and send texts, but the calls are iffy out here in the mud and the blood and the beer. Usually I have to go stand out in the front yard.

But the reception issue isn't related to Tracfone - at least not in my neck of the woods. The problem is there are damned few cell towers here. Friends with Verizon can't even get reception most of the time. So I figure, why pay for a "prime" service plan when I can get the same lousy reception for $6.50 a month? :D

Bottom line, I HATE cell phones, but I have one . . . just in case I break down on the road, or get stuck going to some pet sitting job out in the boonies (might not even work then, but better safe than sorry).

Gravdigr 03-04-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 1027373)
Bottom line, I HATE cell phones, but I have one . . . just in case I break down on the road, or get stuck going to some pet sitting job out in the boonies (might not even work then, but better safe than sorry).

Dittos.

ETA: My other Tracfones, I could do the email thing, but this one won't attach the pic to the email. It says it's doing it, it ain't doing it.

Glinda 03-04-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1027379)
Dittos.

ETA: My other Tracfones, I could do the email thing, but this one won't attach the pic to the email. It says it's doing it, it ain't doing it.

Time to splurge and spend $10 on a Tracfone phone. :3eye:

Gravdigr 03-04-2019 10:02 PM

I haven't mastered this one yet.

xoxoxoBruce 03-04-2019 11:39 PM

I got an email from Billy today, he just got my Christmas card I mailed on December 3rd. :facepalm:

Gravdigr 03-05-2019 03:18 PM

Nothing.

limey 03-05-2019 03:33 PM

Successful construction of baked onion bhajis to send away with Mr Limey tomorrow as a gift for his host for two nights away back on the Old Island. Except I'd rather keep and eat them. Will have to make more for Food Night here on New Island on Thursday I think.

Sent by magick

xoxoxoBruce 03-06-2019 12:42 AM

Food night, that sounds interesting. Weekly? Everybody brings something or a few cook each time when their turn comes up? At the bar or is there a community hall/room?

Gravdigr 03-06-2019 11:57 AM

This guy at the bar, one of the regulars, occasionally brings food to the bar (for urrbody, not just himself), which is also a 200 seat restaurant.

He's brought spaghetti, and chili, a couple of times. Dude's kinda strange. He's bought a raw steak to take home and cook hisownself, and he's brought his own steak for them to cook.

Weird. But they don't seem to mind.

limey 03-06-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1027524)
Food night, that sounds interesting. Weekly? Everybody brings something or a few cook each time when their turn comes up? At the bar or is there a community hall/room?

Weekly in the winter. Everybody (that turns up) brings something. In the bar (though there is a community hall, too).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Griff 03-07-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1027590)
This guy at the bar, one of the regulars, occasionally brings food to the bar (for urrbody, not just himself), which is also a 200 seat restaurant.

He's brought spaghetti, and chili, a couple of times. Dude's kinda strange. He's bought a raw steak to take home and cook hisownself, and he's brought his own steak for them to cook.

Weird. But they don't seem to mind.

Sounds like a bit of an odd duck.
Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 1027627)
Weekly in the winter. Everybody (that turns up) brings something. In the bar (though there is a community hall, too).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Y'all are very intentional with your island living. When my friends lived on an island in Maine it seemed similar.