The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Undertoad 06-20-2013 03:58 PM

Niiiiice!

Lola Bunny 06-20-2013 07:11 PM

64 degrees?!? It's 93 degrees down here. Ugh!

Griff: smart kid you've got. :thumbup:

glatt 06-20-2013 08:41 PM

Way to go, little Griff!

orthodoc 06-20-2013 08:46 PM

Congrats to Li'l Griff!! May she attend the school of her choice and conquer!

Took my 3rd son out for a 23rd birthday dinner tonight, had a very good meal while taking in a lovely view over the valley here in Almost Heaven, and just enjoyed the evening. Perfect temperature.

zippyt 06-20-2013 09:34 PM

About a month ago i had this weird fucked up thing happen ,
I was driveing and all the sudden my vision went all Swirlly , closeing 1 eye didnt make it go away , so I pulled over and we went to the ER ASAP , so blood work, cat scan , xray , and other tests later i had NOT had a stroke , Bp ok , Sugar level ok , white blood cells count with in norms , liver function ok , etc,,, the only thing they saw was a spot on a lung ,
I went to the eye Dr and he did a THURO exam , according to him i had the Aural part of a migrane
So work wise I finally got time to get a Hi rez cat scan of my chest the other day ,
i heard this afternoon i heard the spot was from a syst or sum such and is benign , nothing to worry about .

The worst case stuff has been running in the back of my mind for a while ,

Nirvana 06-20-2013 09:55 PM

Wow Zip I was thinking abut your user title after you posted! :eek:

Long Live King ZippyT per Feetz and now Vana!

Clodfobble 06-20-2013 10:10 PM

Holy crap, Zip, that sounds scary. Glad it's benign.

zippyt 06-20-2013 10:38 PM

Thanks , now i get to be put to sleep and a camera cramed down my throat to see what the restriction is , monday is going to SUCK !!

Chocolatl 06-21-2013 03:04 AM

Whoa. Be well, zip!

Griff 06-21-2013 05:25 AM

Good news zip, that was a scarey episode!

Sundae 06-21-2013 06:25 AM

"Shadows? On me lungs? I'm being eaten away, this is the end of me. Oh God in heaven help me."

From Alfie.

(and Carter USM)

Glad it turned out the bullet you dodged was a rubber one, Zip.
It's not been a great year for Dwellars health-wise, so it's wonderful to have good news.

glatt 06-21-2013 07:12 AM

glad you're OK, Zippy. And extra bonus points for you, going to the ER immediately after the symptoms.

zippyt 06-21-2013 07:33 AM

That clip hits the nail on the head Sunday !!!!

ZenGum 06-21-2013 07:43 AM

Eep. I hope everything turns out well.

footfootfoot 06-21-2013 08:03 AM

The swirly vision shit sounds scary enough.

Good luck on Monday afternoon after they pull the camera out of your lungs. Let's hope it's a point and shoot and not a DSLR.

Glad to hear it isn't serious.

Sundae 06-21-2013 08:13 AM

Oh, put in an application form for an evening job stocking shelves today.

No doubt they'll be inundated with applicants, but having got the job at Waitrose I am now much more hopeful about my employability.

Clodfobble 06-21-2013 12:17 PM

Just heard that two of my brother's songs got licensed to be played in a future episode of "Roadtrip Nation" on PBS. They're paying him real money for it (not a lot of money, mind you, but still actual money.)

glatt 06-21-2013 12:23 PM

Way to go, Clod bro!

BigV 06-21-2013 12:30 PM

that's the intersection of talent and luck you told us about! Congratulations!

limey 06-21-2013 02:18 PM

Good luck Sundae! Excellent, Clod!

Sent by thought transference

orthodoc 06-21-2013 10:03 PM

I am happy.

Finished the last class I'll sit through in this entire program; wrote the last exam until Boards; escaped and drove and drove north until I found my way to my own little patch of paradise.

I walked around my gardens, visited my trees. Checked on the fruit, the flowers, the wilder part. Sat very still and watched the does nibble at the slope and then fade back into the brush to bed down. Fed the small creatures.

Tomorrow promises so much. i have to fix the tomatoes and other veggies, do what must be done to get that deep green amazing growth going; and I have to go into town to the market house and visit the 17 year old who makes amazing wooden kitchen utensils as his means of funding university. I'll buy a few more things than I really need. And I'll stop in to the local family-owned bakery and buy some pizza and some cinnamon flatbread and whatever else they've got going, and listen to the local jazz for a bit ...

and I'll bring my treasures back and pound out that paper on polio immunization in Nigeria, once the WHO suspension is lifted ...

and it will be a great Saturday. At the end of the day I'll take my second son out for a birthday dinner (lots of birthdays this month) and encourage him in his recovery from many physical and psychiatric issues.

I am happy.

BigV 06-23-2013 11:05 AM

Ahhhhhhhh.......

Griff 06-23-2013 11:12 AM

Early ride today, reached the trailhead at 7. Trail conditions were ideal everywhere [retrogrouch]except where some highly motivated folks ruined a technical climb by turning it into a banked curves downhill for kids too lazy to get in shape to ride.[/retrogrouch] The trails were wicked fast and there is a really tight single track section that's been getting more traffic lately so its hard-packed with a lot of dips and quick turns... nice. Walk and short run after. now sweaty

Undertoad 06-23-2013 03:12 PM

5000 btu air conditioner is not expensive and makes life comfy

Chocolatl 06-23-2013 06:29 PM

Got to meet up with old high school friends at a wedding this weekend. Among them were an ex and a boy I had a crush on in 10th grade (lo these many moons ago.) Both of them are still single and, from a woman's perspective, understandably so.

While I was glad to enjoy their company, seeing them made me really, REALLY happy I did not pursue long term relationships with either if them. :lol:

glatt 06-25-2013 03:31 PM

We had this amazing HVAC guy who also did electrical work. He was a real gem. Old guy who knew everything and really loved our old house with all it's idiosyncrasies. He helped us out 3 or 4 times when we first bought the place. We were so sad when he retired about ten years ago and sold his business to a guy who had been apprenticing with him. We had that new guy do some maintenance on our AC and he was fine, but he wasn't Joe.

Well, today my wife noticed a problem with our AC. Which sucks. So she called the new guy and he said one of his technicians would be over later, and who shows up but Joe! I figured he would be in a nursing home by now.

Anyway, I'm really happy. Happier than I should be. I mean, our fucking AC is broken. But Joe is on the job! I hope he's still there when I get home. I mean I don't really. I hope he just reconnects a wire or something and the AC works again. But I'd love to see him.

glatt 06-25-2013 07:47 PM

It was more than just a loose wire, but Joe hooked us up and we have AC again!

Apparently some insects got into a little transformer in the condenser and shorted it out. He had to replace the part.

ZenGum 06-26-2013 06:10 AM

A good tradie is a damn good thing to have.

glatt 06-26-2013 07:23 AM

He checked the fuses out by the condenser, and even though they were good, he left us a spare fuse for free* in case one ever goes out. That's the kind of small thing that will buy loyal customers and give great word of mouth business. Joe rocks!

*Considering the whole service call was a few hundred bucks, the fuse wasn't exactly free, but it felt like it.

Most people wouldn't give you a freebie like that. This is the same guy who years ago gave us a radiator key so we could bleed our radiators ourselves, and who noticed that the pressure relief valve on our boiler didn't have a drain pipe to take any potential scalding water discharge down to floor level where it wouldn't burn us, so he installed one for free. He had an extra one in the truck from a water heater he had removed earlier in the day. Took an extra 2-3 minutes. Each time, he was charging us for the visit and these were all freebies.

Griff 06-26-2013 07:41 AM

That is really cool glatt! The electrician who signed off on my panel way back when stopped by a couple days ago. It was really nice talking shop with him. He was wondering if our whole house electric on demand water heater held up and we talked about alternatives if I ever have to scrap it (not making a sales pitch). He has a lot of alternative energy background and ideas... and I gave him a chance to complain about militarism and the NSA so he was happy too. :)

Sundae 06-26-2013 12:07 PM

We ordered pizza last night.
Dads is in hospital for at least the next four days; probably more as he didn't start his steroid drip until this morning.
Mum left with him at 09.00 and didn't get home until 19.10. Delays, delays, delays, then having to repeat all the information given to the GP, and the last consultant, and the one before that, and the results of the last ECT and...... you get my drift.

So she came home fuming and said, "SOD IT!"
We're not "allowed" to order in pizza when Dad is here.
Because it's cheaper from Tesco.
But it's so much nicer delivered!

Given my recent wait-a-thons in hospital, I think Mum was really pleased to have me to come home to and moan to. Quite justified moaning.
And I know she was pleased to tuck into pizza with me.

So we had a lovely night, eating too much; I had a can of beer - just one - Mum had wine which she left in the fridge and I did not touch. And we watched the silly things we both bond over and really laughed.

When we get on, we get on well. And I know we both went to bed relaxed and un-fraught. I'll bet Mum woke in the night and worried. She called him first thing after all. But I'm doing what I can.

I've organised our first Tesco (supermarket) online delivery for tomorrow - woohoo!
First-timer discount wipes out the delivery charge and still makes it cheaper than shopping yourself and getting a taxi home. And although I've hauled around bulky items for years, I'm trying to show Mum & Dad an easier way.

Given that Dads is going to have to seriously take things easy when he gets back, I think it's a worthwhile experiment. Will wait and see how many substitutions there are...

Anyway, Mum & I are going to have Chinese tomorrow, Friday or Saturday night. Depends how she feels. It's a surprise :neutral:
Tesco Chinese. But that's the least I can do. And she does like the old Tesco Chinese.

Apart from that I'm doing the things she usually does even before I wake up, or I have to make appointments to do: washing, ironing, hoovering, dusting etc.
Trying to be a good girl. It's times like this I realise how much she loves him, despite how angry she gets. Which by association means she loves me too.

Clodfobble 06-26-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae
I had a can of beer - just one - Mum had wine which she left in the fridge and I did not touch.

Sundae, you know I love you, but--dammit, woman. I am pretty angry at your mother for enabling you. If you were my daughter, I wouldn't have alcohol in the house, even if it meant I didn't get wine with my occasional pizza. I know you fight your own struggle daily, and you're doing the best you can, but our families are supposed to be safety nets, not tripwires.

chrisinhouston 06-28-2013 09:08 AM

I feel pretty good as I was able to help my step son and his wife by painting the interior of their old home on the west side of Houston as they hope to rent it out next month. It is a 3 bedroom, about 2000 sq ft and I boutht10 gallons of paint and so far have used about 7 to 8 and am only left with some touch up. I painted it the same color throughout which made the going easier but it has a fair amount of wear and tear what with 5 kids living there. Need to do some trim work on the door and window frames.

They and the kids are on a summer road trip to the east coast to visit family for 2 weeks, it was a good time to paint while they were gone and it took me 4 days although I typically only painted between 9am and 3pm to avoid heavy cross town traffic.

Not that I would want to do it for a living but I wonder what a professional painter would have charged?

footfootfoot 06-28-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 868826)
...but our families are supposed to be safety nets, not tripwires.

Yeah, I guess The Gruppenführer (soon to be ex mrs. foot) didn't get that memo. (and her TPS reports need work too.)

BigV 06-28-2013 05:58 PM

Scored tickets to see Macklemore!

They sold out in fifteen minutes.

ZenGum 06-28-2013 06:35 PM

Um, Sundae ... what Clod said. Double. :grouphug:

BigV 06-28-2013 06:47 PM

I thought about making such a comment as Clodfobble and ZenGum made. I feel that way, sure.

But.

Having more first hand experience in my family than I wish I did, I know that it's a losing battle to try to manage the alcoholism of another. The whole fucking deal is one giant slippery slope. "How much compensation is too much or not enough?" etc etc. No matter what amount of work from totally de-alcoholizing my house to buying a pitcher of beer for a shared meal will make fuck-all of a difference should the alcoholic choose to drink.

Sure, there's supportive behavior. There's unsupportive behavior. But the choice to drink or not is at all times in the hands of the individual.

In my opinion, Sundae, you should not drink alcohol. I base my opinion on what you told me about the serious negative effects it has on your health. That's my piece.

Now, if we were having dinner together and you asked me to forgo having a beer with our pizza, I would consider it, and probably grant your request. I might even ask you directly, "do you mind if I have a beer with dinner?". I have done that in the past in similar situations. But I don't want to be implicitly responsible for the your actions.

Sundae 06-29-2013 06:31 AM

Oh gosh, I feel a bit sick now.
I don't know whether I'm ashamed for me, or embarrassed for my Mum or just generally guilty.

Sorry.

ZenGum 06-29-2013 08:04 AM

:grouphug: please take care of yourself.

footfootfoot 06-30-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 869028)
Oh gosh, I feel a bit sick now.
I don't know whether I'm ashamed for me, or embarrassed for my Mum or just generally guilty.

Sorry.

You don't owe anyone an apology.

monster 06-30-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 868826)
Sundae, you know I love you, but--dammit, woman. I am pretty angry at your mother for enabling you. If you were my daughter, I wouldn't have alcohol in the house, even if it meant I didn't get wine with my occasional pizza. I know you fight your own struggle daily, and you're doing the best you can, but our families are supposed to be safety nets, not tripwires.

Sundae is an adult. She is not her parents' responsibility forever. Hopefully she will outlive them. What then?

WTG on keeping the beer to one and not drinking the wine, S.

Sundae 07-01-2013 04:47 AM

Thank you.

We're having my birthday lunch in Wetherspoons today. Maybe a poor choice on Mum's part, but it is the cheapest place to eat in town where you can be sure of the quality.

I've told her I will not have a drink. And I won't.
Like you say, I'm going to have to face these choices all my life.

I have a sneaky suspicion we're going to be using the gift card I got Dad for Father's Day. Bless him, he's not had a chance to use it yet!

Big Sarge 07-08-2013 05:33 AM

I received pics & videos of my youngest daughters. I posted them in my summer vacation thread

xoxoxoBruce 07-08-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolatl (Post 868678)
Both of them are still single and, from a woman's perspective, understandably so.

:lol2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 868766)
Anyway, I'm really happy. Happier than I should be. I mean, our fucking AC is broken. But Joe is on the job!

It's an electro-mechanical device. You know it can be fixed, it's just how long and how much. But having someone fixing it that you trust, is better than the cool side of the pillow. :thumb2:

morethanpretty 07-11-2013 12:13 PM

Yesterday Della had a great time playing with a friend's dogs. I've finally found someone to have regular play dates with!

To top it off I've been dating a super sweet guy for a bit and I just made him my boyfriend officially.

All of my docs and family members are amazed at how well I'm doing!

BigV 07-11-2013 12:23 PM

Official Boyfriend, that's awesome!

Internet High Five!

Chocolatl 07-11-2013 01:09 PM

Sounds like things are looking up for you, MTP! Hooray!

limegreenc 07-11-2013 06:17 PM

Lift Off in the park

Balloon festival/concert series in the park starts today-hey a dinosaur just went over my house...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

ZenGum 07-11-2013 07:43 PM

Howdy LimeGreenC! Did anyone say

:welcome:

to you yet?

Sundae 07-12-2013 01:31 PM

Uniform fitting at Waitrose today.
YAY!
Am an employed person again!

Dad didn't know I'd gone out, although I did call out as I left.
He thought I was upstairs, asleep.
This seems to be a recent trend for my parents. Can't hear me? Asleep. Can't see me? Asleep. Can't smell me? Yeah, you know...

Anyway, got home and was greeted by Mum and showed her my new uniform and contract, so she knew I'd been out earning money, so that's fine (she was doing her volunteer job.)

Shirt is well baggy :D
Checked it was suitable for the shop floor dress code. It is.
Lovely uniform-fitter was able to tell the size of the shirt just by stretching it out. An Asian Ianto. Am pleased it's large rather than tight, so I didn't ask for a replacement. As Uniform Chap said, it's mostly covered by my apron anyway.

And he complimented the length of my arms. Apparently many staff have problems with the length of the sleeves. I have lovely long arms. Yes I do. They are both lovely and long. Thank you.

glatt 07-12-2013 01:48 PM

The little old ladies can ask you for help reaching the eggs on the top shelf.

Sundae 07-12-2013 03:19 PM

Nah, I'm on the Deli counter.
But I can reach the unreachable cheese.

Perry Winkle 07-12-2013 03:47 PM

Can you get that bit under my little toe?

footfootfoot 07-12-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 870103)
Nah, I'm on the Deli counter.
But I can reach the unreachable cheese.

Can you fight the unbeatable foe and bear the unbearable sorrow?

Sundae 07-13-2013 04:06 AM

I can bare, but you have to log on with a Premium Rate username.
UT takes the profits, but I get to flash my norks.

BigV 07-13-2013 01:24 PM

http://www.seafoodfest.org/

Lutefisk eating contest at 1300 GMT-8.

97 minutes hence.

Last year, I came in second by a nose to the fellow who'd won the previous eight competitions. I'm gonna kick his ass this year.

Griff 07-13-2013 02:14 PM

I realized Friday that I'm happy in my classroom. :) All the adults coming in are fully on board with my PBS (positive behavioral support) methodology. Everyone is engaging with the kids at their level working that mirror neuron mojo.

BigV 07-13-2013 02:21 PM

Your post makes me happy, Griff!

Griff 07-13-2013 02:22 PM

I figure after all my whining this winter I'd better say something when things are going well.

BigV 07-13-2013 02:59 PM

I don't remember eating all these damn butterflies!