The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

fargon 12-23-2018 08:26 PM

I would read that cover to cover many times.

Carruthers 02-05-2019 01:58 PM

My 1992 VW Passat passed its annual test today!
Total mileage is just over 72,000 and I've only done 1,280 miles since the last test.
I hope that it survives another twelve months but if a sudden catastrophic failure is visited upon me I shall treat it to a day out at the scrap yard.

I'm kind like that.

xoxoxoBruce 02-05-2019 02:04 PM

No sentimental bullshit, eh.
No alimony either. :haha:

fargon 02-05-2019 02:08 PM

That car ain't even broken in yet. Check your belts and hoses, and replace as necessary. Change your oil once a year at least, and drive it every once in a while. You may also want to replace the ground wire. That's all I can think of right now.

Carruthers 02-05-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 1025113)
That car ain't even broken in yet. Check your belts and hoses, and replace as necessary. Change your oil once a year at least, and drive it every once in a while. You may also want to replace the ground wire. That's all I can think of right now.

It also had necessary maintenance and servicing today.
I take it to a mate who is a mechanic and he carries out any work needed.
He also takes the car to the testing station for me.
If it fails the test, as has happened once or twice, he'll do the required work after calling me and then present it for re-test.
It gets driven once a week when I go into town for grocery shopping (twelve miles there and back) and there are the inevitable trips to the Doc for Dad which fill in the gaps.
I tend to charge the battery during cold weather the day before my supermarket run.
If anything stops me doing that Dad thinks that starvation will strike in an instant! :eek:

fargon 02-05-2019 02:30 PM

Never be afraid of old equipment, as long as it's maintained. Got a picture handy?

limey 02-05-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 1025110)
My 1992 VW Passat passed its annual test today!

Total mileage is just over 72,000 and I've only done 1,280 miles since the last test.

I hope that it survives another twelve months but if a sudden catastrophic failure is visited upon me I shall treat it to a day out at the scrap yard.

I'm kind like that.

Wahey!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carruthers 02-06-2019 05:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 1025117)
Never be afraid of old equipment, as long as it's maintained. Got a picture handy?

Apologies for the less than perfect photos which were taken this morning during the supermarket run...

Attachment 66337

It's never going to win anything at a classic car show but condition is pretty good for its age so I'll keep it going as long as possible.

Attachment 66338

Not the tidiest, I will admit, but hoses are all in good condition, no leaks, belts all OK.
The rocker cover gasket was replaced this time last year.

USP? It goes! :thumb:

Gravdigr 02-06-2019 09:36 AM

Carruthers (1992) has GrandCherokeeOne (1994) beat by two years.

Anyone have and older daily driver here in the Cellar?

I know Bruce probably has us beat with something, idk if it's his daily driver or not, though.

xoxoxoBruce 02-06-2019 10:17 PM

Nope, my daily driver is also the newest at 2006.

Glinda 02-10-2019 12:11 PM

Today, I'm happy to be alive. Honestly felt like I was dying yesterday.

On January 26, after two days in the DR, I began feeling cold symptoms; scratchy throat, primarily. After two or three days, that turned into chest congestion. Another two or three days and it moved to my sinuses. That rotation has been going on ever since. Symptoms have been mild but ongoing for two solid weeks.

Yesterday, I woke up in a coma, or damned close to it. Full-on flu symptoms, complete with a splitting headache, chest congestion and heavy coughing, a chill that I simply could not quell, massive body aches, and utter exhaustion/fatigue. I managed to get out of bed and move to the sofa in front of the TV, where I stayed the entire day. Got up only to drink fluids, or soak in the tub trying to stop the chills.

This morning, the headache and chills are gone, body aches are nearly gone, but the cough persists, and of course, I'm weak as a newborn pup. BUT, I think I'm going to live, and for that I am happy.

I'll be seeing the doctor Monday afternoon. I set up the appointment on Friday because the never-ending cold was really worrying me. Now this weird one-day flu thing. :eyebrow:

I'm convinced I contracted some sort of tropical cootie sickness that just won't stop. I'll be asking for a complete blood panel and whatever else is needed to look into that. Updates as they become available.

:thumb:

sexobon 02-10-2019 12:17 PM

Did you get a flu shot this season?

Glinda 02-10-2019 12:18 PM

Yup. :eyebrow:

sexobon 02-10-2019 12:20 PM

Do you have any fragmented memories of being probed aboard an alien spacecraft?

Glinda 02-10-2019 12:23 PM

HA! :D

sexobon 02-10-2019 12:41 PM

It's good that you have a doctor's appointment. There's no law saying that if you catch something on the flight over that you can't catch something else while there too. The CDC has current info for clinicians on what travel related illnesses to look for.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...nican-republic

Glinda 02-10-2019 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1025508)
It's good that you have a doctor's appointment. There's no law saying that if you catch something on the flight over that you can't catch something else while there too. The CDC has current info for clinicians on what travel related illnesses to look for.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...nican-republic

This is excellent information. Thank you! I'll be mentioning this CDC page to my doctor.

Gravdigr 02-11-2019 11:30 AM

Did you knowingly (or UNknowingly) participate in any voodoo rituals?

Srsly, tho, feel better.

Soon.

Glinda 02-11-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1025542)
Did you knowingly (or UNknowingly) participate in any voodoo rituals?

Srsly, tho, feel better.

Soon.

I avoided all potential voodooism, as far as I know. ;)

Still feeling pretty punky, and have really been taking it easy. Dragging myself to the doctor's office later this afternoon. Wish me luck!

Gravdigr 02-11-2019 12:52 PM

:fingerx:

fargon 02-12-2019 07:00 AM

Glinda how did the Doctor visit go?

Glinda 02-13-2019 10:21 PM

Doc said "Yep, you've got the flu. Go home and sleep it off. Give me $20." :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, he's pretty sure it's not a weird tropical disease or a voodoo curse.

Still wiped out but feeling a bit better each day. Good thing, because I have a new pet sitting job and a new proofreading project starting tomorrow.

No rest for the wicked (or the cootified) ! :rolleyes:

fargon 02-13-2019 10:43 PM

I'm glad it's not some tropical Cooties. Get Better Soon.

Griff 02-14-2019 06:38 AM

Our February Christmas with Pete's old man was trimmed down to a diner visit because the flu took out half the family. Feel better Glinda!

Glinda 02-14-2019 11:04 AM

Thanks for your good wishes, everyone. I can't remember the last time I got the flu . . . I sure don't remember getting slammed so badly. The latest complication (started yesterday) is conjunctivitis. Yay.

Today should be interesting. One of my pet sitting clients is out of town for a month (Costa Rica), and I'm job-sharing their visits with another pet sitter. She got the first week, during which time the client's home was buried in a foot and a half of snow. This wouldn't typically be a problem for my 4WD truck, except this particular client lives on a very steep private road (not plowed) way the ever-lovin' fuck on top of a local mountain.

The other sitter has only been able to get up to the house a few times in the past week (she's got a little SUV, but no 4WD). Says the closest neighbor has been going to check on the cat when she hasn't been able to get through. Yesterday, the other sitter actually walked up the mountain. Jesus, God.

There's no way I can do that, given my current state of health. I just hope my truck can plow through whatever's up there now. Wish me luck. :(

Gravdigr 02-14-2019 12:09 PM

Be careful.

Glinda 02-14-2019 01:30 PM

The good news is that it's raining like it's the end times right now, so hopefully the rain is busting up some of that snow. The possible bad news is that it's 38 degrees here and there's no telling what the temp is up on top of that mountain.

:neutral:

Clodfobble 02-14-2019 02:58 PM

I went to the Container Store today, got everything I wanted, and still stayed under $100.

Then I got a 15% off coupon to come back, which is great because it turns out there is more I want. :)

Flint 02-14-2019 05:28 PM

I was talking to a friend from Idaho who didn't know what a Container Store was, and me and my other friend were like OMG LET US TELL U ABOUT THE THING

Undertoad 02-14-2019 05:31 PM

if it's not under $100 it's

PLEASE HAVE A COMPLETE LIFESTYLE THEY ARE ONLY $1200

DO YOU NOT HAVE A MUD ROOM? YOU ARE MISSING OUT

PEG BOARD IS FOR THE LOWER CLASSES

all that said i do enjoy it there

Undertoad 02-14-2019 05:34 PM

also i enjoy the irony that the store itself is a container

Flint 02-14-2019 05:50 PM

I once bought some shelves off Craigslist, and I needed replacement parts, and they had them at the Container Store, and when I went to the container store, the shelves that everything in the store was on were the kind of shelves I was buying parts for.

I was like yo dawg i herd u like shelves

Griff 02-14-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 1025742)
I once bought some shelves off Craigslist, and I needed replacement parts, and they had them at the Container Store, and when I went to the container store, the shelves that everything in the store was on were the kind of shelves I was buying parts for.

I was like yo dawg i herd u like shelves

I just Ecosiaed Container Store, turns out that’s a thing.

Clodfobble 02-14-2019 09:23 PM

And now I just Googled Ecosia...

xoxoxoBruce 02-15-2019 12:47 AM

Ve haf vays to make sie buy das baume. :haha:

Flint 02-15-2019 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1025747)
I just Ecosiaed Container Store, turns out that’s a thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1025748)
And now I just Googled Ecosia...

motherƒucker. I Googled Ecoasia and learned I could Ecosia Google, so I had to do it to em

Glinda 02-15-2019 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 1025725)
The good news is that it's raining like it's the end times right now, so hopefully the rain is busting up some of that snow. The possible bad news is that it's 38 degrees here and there's no telling what the temp is up on top of that mountain.

:neutral:

Made it. No stress, no strain. Oh, there was still a lot of snow up there, and in some places it was very icy/slippery, but none of it was tougher than my Silverado.

:cool:

Griff 02-15-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 1025762)
motherƒucker. I Googled Ecoasia and learned I could Ecosia Google, so I had to do it to em

I have amused myself.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 1025768)
Made it. No stress, no strain. Oh, there was still a lot of snow up there, and in some places it was very icy/slippery, but none of it was tougher than my Silverado.

bravo

xoxoxoBruce 02-16-2019 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 1025768)

Excellent, you da boss. :thumb:

Glinda 02-20-2019 04:15 PM

Embiggens

https://i.imgur.com/F4lggRv.jpg

Gigantic IPA

:D

BigV 02-20-2019 09:42 PM

it *is* a low IBU, but I'd try it.

recently I had one named... Atlantic Hazy IPA from Frontstreet... First street... fuck I don't remember but I do know it was DELICIOUS. I had it at a seafood joint in Aberdeen on the way back from the coast. Would. Happily. Drink. Again.

Glinda 02-20-2019 11:56 PM

I've never been a huge fan of IPAs - probably because I don't drink enough beer to know any better. Nevertheless, I find that IPAs are a bit too bitter for me. I do however keep a few random bottles of craft beer in the spare fridge at all times. Just in case a visitor drops by. ☺

Last night I made pork chops with potatoes and sauerkraut (gramma's recipe), which calls for half a beer. Pulled this one out of the fridge and couldn't believe the "embiggen" on the label. :eek:

Until a month ago or so, I'd never heard this word. It was Cellar dwellers that enlightened me.

You lot are an amazing collection of brilliantly impressive weirdos. I thank you all for sharing your madness with me.

I am embiggened. :D

xoxoxoBruce 02-21-2019 01:11 AM

Thank Homer Simpson for edumacating us.
Citrusy? Have to be hot a thirsty for that methinks.

Gravdigr 02-21-2019 01:16 PM

Embiggen...I thought I invented that non-word.

Where mah check?!?

I've been thinking about giving up thinking.

It's just something I've been thinking about.

Carruthers 02-21-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1026304)

I've been thinking about giving up thinking.

It's just something I've been thinking about.

That thinking feeling.

Best avoided.

monster 02-21-2019 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A text conversation:

Pologirl: you didn't order cat socks to my apartment did you?

Pologirl: as in socks with cats on, not socks for cats?

monster: I mighta

Pologirl: Oh lol, they're cute, but I thought I was going crazy for a sec

Pologirl: So they are mine? So I can open them?

monster: YES! for you

Pologirl: Thanks :)

Pologirl: trying on

monster: I heard cat socks alleviate thesis stress and similar ailments

Pologirl: **sends pic of no-show cat socks**

Pologirl: I think I can feel it working already

Pologirl: **Sends pic of thigh highs** They're really comfy, I love them

Attachment 66544

::happyhappyhappyhappy::

glatt 02-21-2019 08:56 PM

Well done.

Clodfobble 02-22-2019 07:18 AM

Cute!

Gravdigr 02-22-2019 01:28 PM

Grandmadigr turned 101 today.

:celebrat::celebrat::celebrat:

Clodfobble 02-22-2019 02:01 PM

Hey, happy birthday Grandmadigr!

Carruthers 02-22-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1026414)

A good innings!

limey 02-22-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1026414)

Wowsers! HB GMD!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glinda 02-22-2019 03:37 PM

Just before mom was buried, I removed the big pavé diamond ring that she'd worn for years. When I finally got home, I wore it for awhile in her memory, but eventually stashed it somewhere in my house so it wouldn't get lost or stolen.

Of course, I lost it. Completely forgot where I put it, and I've been looking for it for a year and a half.

Found it yesterday! w0oT!!

:cheerldr:

Oh, and Happy Birthday, Grandmadigr. :)

BigV 02-22-2019 08:23 PM

Nice gams for 101 years old!

xoxoxoBruce 02-23-2019 12:08 AM

Why is it girls taking pictures of their feet, or are aware someone else is, always usually stand pigeon-toed? :confused:
It's like duck lips for feet.

Clodfobble 02-23-2019 07:55 AM

It puts you off-balance, which means means vulnerable and thus attractive. Feet turned outward shows that you are ready for running/pouncing/fighting. It's not all for the camera; a lot of women just stand that way naturally, the same way men hook their thumbs into their belts to draw attention to their schwanz.

sexobon 02-23-2019 08:21 AM

When only one foot is turned in: Right pigeon-toed, left brain. Left pigeon-toed, right brain. Guys want a gal who's right pigeon-toed in public and left pigeon-toed in the bedroom. Pictures are presumed to be going public.

In this case, I suspect she rotated her legs so the cats' eyes were facing forward for the picture.

Clodfobble 02-23-2019 09:58 AM

It should also be noted that women's legs are more loosey-goosey in general, with our inefficient rotational hip design.

Gravdigr 02-23-2019 10:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1026461)
...the same way men hook their thumbs into their belts to draw attention to their schwanz.

Look. Look at it! Look at my Schwan's!!!

Attachment 66557

Gravdigr 02-23-2019 10:26 AM

I appreciate yall's B-Day wishes toward Grandmadigr.

She's been doing great lately. No talking to the dead relatives, or talking out of her head and such in quite a while. And, outside of an iron supplement, no meds at all.