The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

glatt 10-21-2008 11:33 AM

Sunday night, before heading to bed, I watched a little of the local news. Top story was a little boy who was possibly abducted from a local supermarket while his grandfather was distracted. By the time of the broadcast, he had been missing for the entire day, and the police were very concerned, issuing an amber alert. There was a frost warning for that night, and and in addition to the dozens of officers, the police were adding helicopters with infrared cameras to help look for the boy.

The local news stories like this never have an impact on me, but as I nestled in under our warm down comforter in bed that night, I was thinking about that boy and hoping he was OK.

Well, as it turns out, only a short while after I went to bed, a guy in DC who had just turned off his news received a visit from his friend, accompanied by a woman he didn't know. The woman had this young boy with her who matched the description of the missing boy. The boy said a couple of times that the woman was not his mother. So the guy called the cops. The woman ran away before the cops got there, but she was caught the next day.

I just read about it in the paper this morning, and it was really nice to hear that the boy is fine and is back with his family, and the crazy stranger is in jail.

For once, the sensationalistic local news actually made things better. That never happens.

DanaC 10-21-2008 11:59 AM

Great news Glatt.

We had a similar case recently when a local lass went missing. She was missing for about three weeks or so I think. Massive police search operation. Nobody expected her to be found, let alone found alive. It was wonderful to then hear news reports that she'd been found :)

Shawnee123 10-21-2008 03:11 PM

Hi all!

Love it here...but I hate the beginnings of a new job. My training schedule is stretched out over 2 weeks, meeting with each person to describe their job, and I have a lot of down time in between with nothing to do. I know one day I'll be busy but right now I'm bored.

I have a cubie, but I also have a giant window and can see parts of the city from my office.

Hope all is well.

Vote Obama! ;)

glatt 10-21-2008 03:25 PM

Glad you have time for the Cellar, if only for a bit.

limey 10-21-2008 05:14 PM

I started a new job today, too, Shawnee. Is there anything you can be doing in the down-time? Learning who's who, what's what and where's where? Doing yourself diagrams of workflow or lines of responsibility? Drawing up Christmas card lists? Getting familiar with the in-house computer files/systems? Filing your nails? Mapping any good practices from your previous job (were there any?) to current situations? I'll be thinking of you tomorrow - think of me, too, hey?

Sundae 10-21-2008 06:30 PM

All my best wishes to Shawnee and Limey.
Good luck - at least you know your new companies have impeccable taste in recruitment.

DanaC 10-21-2008 07:01 PM

*Smiles* how exciting. Best of luck to both of you in your respective New Jobs :)

footfootfoot 10-21-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 495969)

I have a cubie, but I also have a giant window and can see parts of the city from my office.

Which parts?

Griff 10-21-2008 08:10 PM

happy = snow flurries

Aliantha 10-21-2008 09:09 PM

Only two more sleeps till Dazza gets home!

lookout123 10-21-2008 09:10 PM

The tan line thread.

Shawnee123 10-22-2008 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 496049)
Which parts?

lol...actually I looked out the other day and thought I was looking at the interstate, and I thought "man, the interstate is like a parking lot." Turns out I was looking at an actual parking lot! It is the top of the parking garage. :blush:

Other than that it's just some buildings.

Me so crazy.

Finding my way around has been insane...it's much much bigger than my old place.

:)

Treasenuak 10-22-2008 10:53 AM

Happy... I get a little extra time in Tennessee, and will be getting dancing and fencing lessons for free; also, will be putting my seamstressing skills to work! Me so excited. I love sewing, and I like learning new skills. Not sure how fencing will be useful in a day-to-day work environment, but if I DO decide to get involved with the SCA ( www.sca.org ) then it will DEFINITELY be useful. WHEEEEEE!

HungLikeJesus 10-22-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 495831)
Cool. What kind of driving school?

I had a friend who went to a spy driving school. He learned how to run cars off the road, do those high speed reversing direction turns, and things like that.

We spent hours on the track (well, a big parking lot at the local speedway) practicing slalom, high-speed lane changes, evasive maneuvers, braking while turning, etc.

It was a lot of fun, we burned up lots of gas and tires, and everyone was worn out by the end.

Aliantha 10-22-2008 05:54 PM

Dazza gets home tomorrow!