The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

SteveDallas 09-07-2008 10:15 PM

It's different with digital ones, HLJ. What you do is strip off about an inch of insulation from the middle of the power cord. After you plug the clock in, touch the bare wire... I guarantee you'll experience a nice feeling.

HungLikeJesus 09-07-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 481887)
It's different with digital ones, HLJ. What you do is strip off about an inch of insulation from the middle of the power cord. After you plug the clock in, touch the bare wire... I guarantee you'll experience a nice feeling.

I thought that that was how you stop them from wetting the bed.

SteveDallas 09-07-2008 10:43 PM

No, no, I said YOU touch the wire... not the dog.

Sundae 09-08-2008 03:24 AM

not quite happy, but a sense of relief.
I found out last night that the pub will exchange either the first or the second week in October.

So it's going to be cutting it fine, but I will have the money to move before I have to leave.
The downside is my slim hope of being able to stay in the pub has been dashed - the man buying it wants to gut the whole upstairs and create en-suite rooms for guests. He'll therefore need all the space he can get and won't be interested in a tenant.

Still, as I say it was a long shot.

Today I plan to update my profile on Find A Flamate or whatever it's called. I'll start actively contacting people next week (I've found that people only advertise rooms available immediately). And create a notice for the pub, asking if anyone has a room to let. It might encourage someone who wasn't thinking about it to offer me a spare room to make some money. They would be local, know me by sight and after all it wouldn't have to be a long term thing.

Chocolatl 09-08-2008 07:24 AM

Cicero -- Osa looks like an adorable little troublemaker. Good luck with all the training in the next few weeks.

Sundae -- I'm glad to hear you know a little bit more about how things are going to go in the next few weeks. Uncertainty makes me crazy, so I imagine it feels good to at least be able to make a plan of action.

What's making me happy today?
1) I have my first ever driving lesson today! (I am not counting the time I bounced my husband's manual transmission around the parking lot and stalled the car half a dozen times.) The lesson is a with a professional instructor in an automatic, so keep your fingers crossed for me... and the instructor... and all the nearby squirrels and assorted other woodland creatures...

2) I received my placement for my Practicum course this semester. I'll be in a classroom for half a day, once a week, observing at first and later teaching. The teacher I've been paired with teaches English 2 (which should translate to 10th grade, or 15/16 year olds) and Intensive Reading. I am surprisingly excited about the Reading course, as I'm starting to realize that getting people to read is one of my major passions in life. (The "why" behind this is a whole 'nother thread...)

3) I found a handful of gray hairs this weekend. Most people -- especially most people in their early 20s -- would not be happy about this, but I've always known I was going to go gray early, so I'm actually kind of relieved.

sweetwater 09-08-2008 08:24 AM

RE: #2 - good for you! Reading & writing are such wonderful gifts to share with another. I am trying to get one of my Meals on Wheels route days changed so I can work with an ESL instructor at the library who volunteers her teaching skills for 10 -20 students. For me, it would balance the 'give a fish / teach a fish' equation. Love to hear your 'why' story sometime.

Shawnee123 09-08-2008 09:27 AM

Cicero...me want doggy! Him so cute!

Pico and ME 09-08-2008 12:32 PM

My husband just called me to let me know that the photographer canceled our 2pm appointment.

This makes me happy because I'm such a lazy ass and now I dont have to get dressed and go out ( I just got out of the shower).

wolf 09-08-2008 12:49 PM

Okay, so this is from yesterday, but it's still making me happy.

I was just finishing eating dinner and watching the House marathon yesterday (both of which are happy-making events) and I was hearing the sounds of a live mostly 60s cover band floating across the field in front of my apt.

So, I decided to walk over and see what was going on. Yep. There was a group of four overweight 50 year old men playing music. There was also a moon bounce and a couple of inflatable slide-thingies set up behind the township building.

Turned out that it was The Township Day's Raindate. As the band was winding up their set I noticed that an awful lot of cars were coming into the parking area rather than leaving it ... so I hung out a bit longer, just in case, and was treated to a most excellent fireworks display!

I likes the fireworks.

Pico and ME 09-08-2008 12:55 PM

Wolf, you were treated!

Seriously, its those kind of nice surprises that are the best.

Shawnee123 09-09-2008 03:10 PM

Great thunderstorm last night (finally!)

Get to go home in 50 minutes and we're having cheezeburgers, corn on the cob, and cantaloupe (last two fresh from the farm.)

Then I can curl up on the couch and read, because I'm so darn tired today.

HungLikeJesus 09-09-2008 03:20 PM

We? What time should we be there?

Shawnee123 09-09-2008 03:22 PM

What time do you feel like cooking?

Trilby 09-09-2008 03:48 PM

Yeah, what's this "we"?

I thought you threw the bum out?

or...is this a new and improved sort of bum? :)

Shawnee123 09-09-2008 03:56 PM

Bum still there.

I just can't do it. Most of the time I really want to, but I can't. And it's still weighing on me financially. :(

Can I rent a spine?