The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

HungLikeJesus 12-20-2008 12:39 PM

1) I fixed my dishwasher yesterday while my lunch was cooking. I had to pull it out and do some re-wiring. I'm glad I didn't have to call in that Maytag guy.

2) My wife's Xmaz present arrived yesterday. I had to test it, of course, and make sure it was OK. Now I want it.

3) We leave for Mexico again in a few days.

lookout123 12-20-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

2) My wife's Xmaz present arrived yesterday. I had to test it, of course, and make sure it was OK. Now I want it.
I really really hope you cleaned it before wrapping it.

HungLikeJesus 12-20-2008 02:08 PM

What makes you think I'm done playing with it?

DanaC 12-20-2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 515485)
What makes you think I'm done playing with it?

I think that line bears repeating out of context...

footfootfoot 12-20-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 515437)
...after a few weeks of controlled drinking. Just watch for patterns dear.

??? Link please.:p

Griff 12-21-2008 08:08 AM

Well, this isn't double-blind but...

ZenGum 12-21-2008 10:11 AM

I went for an afternoon walk in some hills overlooking the city today, to watch the sun go down. It was still very warm: 30 C or so. The sunset was obscured by a large cloud bank :( which turned out to be an electrical storm :) which I sat and watched roll in over the city, over the dusky street-lighting. Coooooll.

Cloud 12-21-2008 11:12 AM

Two new piercings! Drove to Albuquerque (and back) yesterday; got my other nipple done, and a chest anchor; i.e., a single-point piercing at the top of my cleavage.

Yay!

SteveDallas 12-21-2008 02:49 PM

"Anchor" in the sense of pulling you down to the bottom of the pool? Or of attaching something else to it to hold it down?

Sundae 12-21-2008 02:51 PM

Diz caught a worm last night.
Mighty hunter.

HungLikeJesus 12-21-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 515697)
Diz caught a worm last night.
Mighty hunter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 515698)
What have I been saying all this time? Immunise, people, immunise!


Sundae 12-22-2008 05:24 AM

LOL

I'm happy today because my Mum isn't here.
No, I'm not being mean, she had a hospital appointment at 08.30 this morning, but was worried they wouldn't be able to go ahead with it (endoscopy) because of her cold. She said that if they couldn't do it she'd be back within half an hour. So the fact that she's not here (or my Dad who will be driving) means that she's been able to go through with it.

It's not a nice thing, obviously. I'd be happier if they weren't here because they were going to Paris for lunch on the Eurostar. But she wanted it out of the way, and it's been preying on her mind. So it'll be done before Christmas and she can relax.

Trilby 12-22-2008 07:14 AM

I'm glad your mom is getting this over with. She looks so sweet and friendly. (but, of course, my mother does, too and she's a MONSTER [with no offense to our own monster]).

I'm happy because i'm done with Christmas shopping. I am officially out of money, so therefore: done!

Sundae 12-22-2008 07:37 AM

She has Barrett's Oesophagus like her brother. Pre-cancerous cells. She'll get the official news on her follow up visit, but they confirmed it for her today verbally. She also has a large Hiatus Hernia.

Not really something to be happy about of course, but she knew both of the above anyway, so it's good to have it confirmed and know she will be able to receive any appropriate treatment.

But she has to lose weight and stop drinking, which won''t lead to harmony in this house I can tell you. Mum can give up drink easily - she has a casual relationship with alcohol, but Dad will find it very hard. He'll cut back, but Mum will be Ming the Merciless if he is ever under the influence when she is sober. I love her, but her tongue can be a WMD when she is in the right mood.

Ah well, I'm glad she's on the right track healthwise. And perhaps we can face this battle together - living here has made it harder for me to stick to healthy eating so far just because of the goodies I'm being faced with at every turn. I'll scour the internet for low fat recipes Mum & I can share and I'm sure Dad will come along for the ride. And after all, not drinking is really important for me too, and having my Mum on the warpath is a terrifying enough prospect to dry out someone far more alcohol dependent than me.

PS - Bri? Mum confirms she would have reacted exactly as you suggested, but forgives you anyway ;)

Nirvana 12-22-2008 11:41 AM

I am so happy that it is 10 F instead of - 5 F with 50 mile and hour winds! :eek:

HungLikeJesus 12-22-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 515508)
I think that line bears repeating out of context...

Now it's my user title.

Cloud 12-22-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 515695)
"Anchor" in the sense of pulling you down to the bottom of the pool? Or of attaching something else to it to hold it down?

neither. anchor as in the sense of a piece of metal which is anchored under the skin.

http://www.anatometal.com/catalog/microdermals.php

Sundae 12-22-2008 02:41 PM

I still don't get it, sorry.

Pico and ME 12-22-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skysidhe (Post 515276)
Maybe I just never noticed before but I find you are very funny lately HLJ.

Im an HLJ fan. I love his ad libs.

monster 12-24-2008 03:31 PM

Surprise pressies and nice words :D

Sundae 12-24-2008 03:58 PM

I'm so pleased for you!
What made me happy was something similar - an unexpected card and lovely words.

Bu then Christmas Eve with Mum and Dad has just been a lovely day anyway.

Merry Christmas you all, and to all a good night.

Ibby 12-28-2008 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 517009)
Just one little update...
her christmas present:
http://asia.swarovski.com/data/docs/...fitAndCrop.jpg

Zoomed:
Attachment 21123


TheMercenary 12-30-2008 08:37 AM

yesterday is over.

classicman 12-30-2008 09:27 AM

Tomorrow is only a day away

Clodfobble 12-30-2008 12:36 PM

New audio gigs! Technically, I have yet to be paid for either of them, but they both look to be ongoing-contract type things.

Griff 12-31-2008 08:34 AM

We made dinner for our lawyer/fencer friends last night. There was much raving about the timber frame and the fireplace. :blush:

Trilby 12-31-2008 08:50 AM

I can't figure out Griff's life.

Griff 12-31-2008 08:53 AM

So far, it's taken me 44 years to figure it out myself.

Shawnee123 12-31-2008 09:02 AM

I was thinking: if I ever need a lawyer, I want a fencing one coming into the courtroom! :)

It took me 44 years too, Griff. Well, I'm not quite there yet but I'm getting closer!

Griff 12-31-2008 09:12 AM

Our kids fence together but I think he's going to start. The cool part is, I was able to do dinner without any booze and make small/medium talk without any anxiety. That is kind of a big deal for me.

Shawnee123 12-31-2008 09:14 AM

Good for you, Griff! Bravo!

Trilby 12-31-2008 09:48 AM

good for you Griff. I know how very hard that is for me to do. You've been sans booze for quite a while now, right?

Griff 12-31-2008 09:49 AM

One year a couple days ago.

Shawnee123 12-31-2008 09:56 AM

A person very close to me, and I won't say who because well, it's his business, has been sober for over 10 years. No one, and I mean NO ONE, is funnier or sweeter or goofier than he is. I am so proud of his accomplishment.

You go Griff.

xoxoxoBruce 12-31-2008 09:58 AM

Bah, ya quiter... just for that I hope you live to be 100. ;)

Trilby 12-31-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 517791)
One year a couple days ago.

If you don't mind, Griff, can you say a little about the challenges (or, lack of challenges if that's the case) this has brought about in your life? Were you ever really, really tempted? Did you ever feel sorry for yourself? Did you ever wish you could just let it all go and get smashed just one more time? Did people at parties ever grill you about it? Do you feel a lot better or the same?

If these questions are not cool, I apologize. I'd just like to know how you feel after a year without booze.

Sundae 12-31-2008 10:50 AM

Me too.
I'll share mine in return. Next year.

Griff 12-31-2008 12:48 PM

The biggest challenge for me is not getting pasted at parties. Being sober in a large group of drunks is really hard. I had no experience being sober at parties until this year. I drank whenever in a large group from high school on. The other time I'm tempted is when work gets stressful, but right now my work isn't getting to me. I'm focused on monitoring my mood and using self-talk and breathing exercises to get me over the hump. The most dangerous thing for me is the little voice that says I can control my drinking now, as if a quarter century of evidence to the contrary is meaningless. The questions are very cool, especially if I can help anyone else kill the monkey.

Griff 12-31-2008 12:57 PM

oops there were more questions. People have been good about it and I've convinced myself that they don't see me as weak because I lack control once the key is in the ignition. I really wanted to hit the whiskey during the holiday season, I miss the bite, a lot. I am much sharper physically and mentally. I actually finished 8th out of 22 fencers at a holiday tournement last weekend in foil which is my #2 weapon. I firmly believe we can rewire ourselves a great deal within the limitations of our biology.

Trilby 12-31-2008 01:20 PM

You're an inspiration, Griff.

I admire your ability to do this.

*hugs*

Griff 12-31-2008 01:24 PM

Thanks!

TheMercenary 12-31-2008 01:48 PM

Well done Griff. You have much to be proud of and many good years ahead of you.

Cicero 12-31-2008 01:49 PM

Hey Griff. I have heard that you need to keep yourself occupied with tasks around a bunch of drunks at parties if you don't want to hit the sauce. I'm not sure what kind of party you are attending, but maybe keeping yourself intellectually stimulated by playing games might work. Well, I know it works because I've done it, but you may not be going to a party that is that casual.

Nice work Griff!

Flint 12-31-2008 02:30 PM

Jamming with my old band members at a party tonight.
Might have to borrow some mini-drums from the kids.

All 16" kick, like Tony Williams meets Drum n Bass.

HungLikeJesus 01-01-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 517883)
... I actually finished 8th out of 22 fencers at a holiday tournement last weekend in foil which is my #2 weapon. ...

Griff, can you post a picture of you wearing your foil hat?

Shawnee123 01-01-2009 10:43 AM

Always with the pictures, ya bunch of voyeurs. ;)

monster 01-01-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 518094)
Griff, can you post a picture of you wearing your foil hat?

I remember a pic of someone in a foil hat -wasn't it big sarge when he was a noob? damn that shoulda made it into the advent calendar

Pooka 01-01-2009 12:49 PM

My son and his desire to "feed" me... despite his unwillingness to accept a bite from anyone but himself.

limey 01-01-2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 518105)
I remember a pic of someone in a foil hat -wasn't it big sarge when he was a noob? damn that shoulda made it into the advent calendar

It's there on his profile page ... :tinfoil:

monster 01-01-2009 05:41 PM

cool, thanks

HungLikeJesus 01-01-2009 11:35 PM

It just occurred to me that I haven't had a shower since I got back from Mexico (last night), so I still have ocean water on my skin.

I don't know why that should make me happy but it does.

In fact, I may not shower again until Thanksgiving.

zippyt 01-01-2009 11:52 PM

I have a Hat Crusted with salt from the Last time i was at the Ocean .

I plan to wash it the Next time go back

Griff 01-02-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 518094)
Griff, can you post a picture of you wearing your foil hat?

I made that redundant with a tin foil house.

DanaC 01-02-2009 06:03 PM

And then the wolf huffed, and she puffed, and she blew the house down...

Aliantha 01-02-2009 06:06 PM

cooler weather is making me happy. It's been stinking hot here for the last week or so.

Griff 01-03-2009 09:33 AM

Solar gain. The morning sun is pouring in and I can hear the blower from the solar heater cranking away. (sorry Ali, its a hemisphere thing)

Sundae 01-03-2009 11:17 AM

What's making me happy is a sense of community, and people being kind.

Trilby 01-03-2009 11:39 AM

for once, I have some money.


Look! - there it goes!

Sundae 01-04-2009 07:18 AM

We're going out for a pub lunch.
To a carvery!
It's all very retro, and very exciting.

If only my camera battery was charged.
I might make my Dad take his camera instead.
Time travelling is always worth a photo.

limey 01-04-2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 518814)
We're going out for a pub lunch.
To a carvery!
It's all very retro, and very exciting.

If only my camera battery was charged.
I might make my Dad take his camera instead.
Time travelling is always worth a photo.

Are you going to have Prawns Marie Rose for starters and black Forest Gateau for pud?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.