The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

glatt 02-25-2014 07:09 PM

Excellent!

orthodoc 02-25-2014 07:29 PM

Thank you! I was also happy to see two recently-ordered books sitting on my doorstep tonight. They're part of my reading for Boards in October - Control of Communicable Diseases Manual and Understanding the US Health Services System. Good stuff but hefty at 500+ and 700+ pages. And the microprint, did I mention the microprint? I swear the publishers use smaller print every year ...

Aliantha 02-25-2014 07:32 PM

Yes ortho. Thats the one. A lot of people dont know what they are if you say it. lol.

Good news on the abstract. Whats the time frame for it?

orthodoc 02-25-2014 07:48 PM

I've read about masticating juicers and how I should have one ... haven't got one yet. Maybe that's the problem; my Breville makes only a little juice but a lot of mess.

The conference is the last week of April in San Antonio, Texas. I have to get my poster and short talk ready by the third week of March, though, for a dry run in front of my faculty and academic advisors; I have a formal presentation and defense for my MPH degree in front of a mixed faculty panel in mid-April. By the time the conference rolls around, I'll be giving that talk in my sleep!

The project came out of a paper and powerpoint presentation that I did while I was at OSHA headquarters in Washington, DC last fall. I like my powerpoint and script, but everything will have to be severely pruned to fit on a poster and into a ten-minute timeframe. I hope to submit the paper to a journal as a review article ... we'll see.

Griff 02-25-2014 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 893322)
I've read about masticating juicers...

orthodoc 02-25-2014 08:10 PM

Trouble is, I think he'd make more mess than my Breville ...

Aliantha 02-25-2014 11:16 PM

I made a huge mess today. I hope tomorrow will be less messy. lol. I need to remember the proceedures again, and also which veges/fruits are more pulpy.

sexobon 02-26-2014 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 893322)
... The conference is the last week of April in San Antonio, Texas. ...

I lived there for four years while teaching at the Academy of Health Sciences, the medical training and doctrine proponency for all branches of the US armed forces. If you're just spending a day there, watch the movie The Alamo before you go and then visit the enshrined remains located right in the downtown area. Have a meal in a rotating restaurant at the top of the Tower of Americas (like Seattle's Space Needle) for a bird's-eye panoramic view of the city; or, at a restaurant down on the River Walk.

Sundae 02-26-2014 10:47 AM

Meeting Carruthers today, which I will write up properly later.

I'm just killing time while I wait to get ready for Mum's Girls' Night In. And that has been making me happy all week.
I'm about to try folding paper napkins (aka serviettes) into roses.
No use to man or beast once they're done, but a nice touch.
And we all like a nice touch, right?

Moroccan Lamb all done; couscous will take ten minutes; green beans and potatoes (tcah, Mum!) all prepped. Cinnamon vodka with gold flakes in freezer, Arabic Lounge CD on player; incense ready to burn.
Just have to get dressed (I have full outfit) light candles and kill Mia.

Oh sorry. Not kill Mia, even though she is driving me bloody crazy.

Aliantha 02-26-2014 04:39 PM

Ooh i was drinking that cinnamon vodka with sparkling apple juice over xmas. Tastes like drinking an apple pie!

orthodoc 02-26-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 893333)
If you're just spending a day there, watch the movie The Alamo before you go and then visit the enshrined remains located right in the downtown area. Have a meal in a rotating restaurant at the top of the Tower of Americas (like Seattle's Space Needle) for a bird's-eye panoramic view of the city; or, at a restaurant down on the River Walk.

Thanks, sexobon. I'll be there a week so I should have time to look around. I definitely want to visit the Alamo. I'll try the restaurants/areas you mention, too.

Sundae 02-28-2014 09:26 AM

Bought some Pain de Campagne today.
Well, I baked the damned thing, at least I know it was clean (until I touched it, anyway :lol:)
Had some for lunch, having more with tea. Very good, pats on back all round.

Just had a potential buyer round. He seemed quite seriously interested.
Sadly he seems to be moving his brother and sister in, so I can't rent a room if he does buy. Very tall well-spoken Asian man from Essex.

Griff 03-01-2014 10:14 AM

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hbogameofthr...ame-of-thrones

You got: You’d be mauled by a direwolf!
You’re easily agitated and consider yourself a loner. Most people would describe you as grumpy, and you’d describe most people as stupid. While you might be right, you often miss out on life due to your attitude. Such a disposition makes you great fodder for an angry direwolf.

Sundae 03-01-2014 10:27 AM

No idea what this means as I've never watched it.
But as a silly pop-quiz it's sadly true.

You'd fall through the Moon Door!

You're tough! But not as tough as you think. Your best trait is your loyalty, not your strength - you'd do well to rely more on your friends. This miscalculation is enough to send you through the Moon Door.

IRL I've had calls from two Dwellars today who have my interests at heart.
Which is heart-warming.

BigV 03-01-2014 10:52 AM

Moon door for me.

Hm, I wonder... Will sundae be there to cushion the impact at the end?