The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

HungLikeJesus 09-28-2008 10:06 AM

FStop, it sounds like you made a good move. I hope you're enjoying your new job.

Tulip 09-28-2008 12:24 PM

What's making me happy today?.......ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! Is there a "What's making you pissy today?" thread??

limey 09-28-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulip (Post 487572)
What's making me happy today?.......ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! Is there a "What's making you pissy today?" thread??

Take your pick ...
this one
or
this one!

Tulip 09-28-2008 11:10 PM

I thank you. But others won't. What would a woman on PMS say when she has a place to vent? Nothing pleasant, I assure you. :headshake

Juniper 09-28-2008 11:35 PM

Dropping sociology class!!! :D

Sundae 09-29-2008 03:58 AM

Cats!

Hely is getting more comfortable in here. She is still focussed on me, but happy to come in when I am not here, just for the company. She's sitting on my boss's desk right now, grooming herself, whereas before she would only sit on mine, or under it in a bed I made her (out of a bag and old clothes!). JT isn't in today, so I'm not worried about shooing her off, she'll come back to me when she's ready.

Diz last night gave me a lesson in how cats' minds work - not like ours!

A big spider came into the room - only big by UK standards, but it was a proper charlie-walker. Knowing how Diz loves to chase anything that moved I tried to point it out to him. Of course he was more interested in the ends of my fingers than what I was pointing at, stupid cat.

In the end I poked the charlie-walker with a stick and it scuttled off, engaging Diz's interest. He scrabbled about with it for a while, then it managed to find refuge under the door. Diz wouldn't give up on it even then, and went from one side of the door to the other trying to make it play again.

A bit later, when he had returned to bed, worn out, I went to see if I could find the spider. His legs were poking out from under the door in a way that suggested he wasn't going to use them again. So I took the same stick as before and poked him out, retiring to bed myself while Diz did something interesting to make him disappear (nom nom nom).

The funny thing was, Diz went back to the door a couple of times last night, as if it was a spider dispensing machine. And again this morning. Despite having chased the spider there himself, he seems to assume that because there was one spider under the door, there might be more.

Bless.

Shawnee123 09-29-2008 07:35 AM

Glad you found Diz , SG. I'm thinking of "unfinding" Gaines right about now...he's really ticking me off! ;)

Met with the Director Friday. I'm the only one she's interviewed. She said they were starting to think they were way off base trying to get someone to fill the unique niche of my (major) area of FA knowledge. This is why, the last time they posted (have tried 3 times) they made it a professional position and revamped the duties of the other FA officers. Still, it was just a fluke that I happened to check their website that day.

Now it goes through HR. I wonder if my rough and rowdy past will catch up to me.

I made a list of pros and cons concerning a job change. To be honest, the list of cons is very very short. The drive (which turns out to be not bad at all due to my current location near the interstate, and them being right off the interstate) and the fact that it's new with new people. I've hit it off with the committee and the director, famously even, so I know that would pass. The other thing is my misguided sense of loyalty to this place. I will miss my boss, but I know even she will not be here forever. I talked to a friend whose wife just left here for higher ground (and he has been herer for years), and he talked about how they lull you into that sense of duty, and that we're just a big family, but the loyalty is not mutual. It's true, and I'm sad to say, because at one point this job meant everything to me.

This morning already I've been reminded by half a dozen things that I'm not happy here. Regardless of my love for most of my cow orkers, I haven't been happy for quite some time.

Let's see: more money, less of the crap I hate, more support from the college for technical improvements and staff needs, a new start. There really isn't much this place could do to keep me.

So that's where that's at. :)

ZenGum 09-29-2008 08:06 AM

Great stuff Shawnee!

Yeah don't fall for that corporate loyalty crap. They'll keep you on exactly as long as it suits the corporation, and a good manager will cause you to fell it's because they're loyal to you. The same one will regretfully let you go when they have to.

I have no doubts that you will make new friends in your new place.

Oh the tiiiiiimes, they are a changin'...

Sundae 09-29-2008 08:08 AM

It's made for you.
Sure there'll be a period of settling in - there always is.
But it sounds like such a great move.

Where are you at in the process now?
Have they made you an offer, or is it dependent on references?

Shawnee123 09-29-2008 08:10 AM

It is now in the hands of Human Resources...background check (at least I have to fill out a paper, I wonder if they'll really do a full blown check as I am currently working at a state instititution) and check references.

I've already mentally cleaned out my office. ;)

ZenGum 09-29-2008 08:22 AM

It sounds like the job is yours if you want it - if they've advertised three times and have found only one possible candidate, obviously you fill a very unusual niche they need filled. In fact, you could probably hold out for more money.

Shawnee123 09-29-2008 08:23 AM

I know! I'm going to be visiting Flint's thread a la money talks.

How high above "minimum starting" should I ask for? I mean, all they can do is say no, right?

Trilby 09-29-2008 08:27 AM

Hey, Shawnee! Great! Make it a double and get a new HG, too! :) Srsly. I know it's hard to do, but once you get the hang of it...

It's a BeaUtiful day in the neighborhood!

I talked to my First Born this morning as he drove back up to school (he went to see the Bengals lose to the Browns yesterday) and my Second Born is doing really well in his junior year. I have GREAT kids! YAY!

classicman 09-29-2008 08:30 AM

Congrats!

Shawnee123 09-29-2008 10:50 AM

I have negative thoughts creeping in that something is going to go wrong.