The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

monster 01-30-2009 10:44 AM

Bri's breezed back in. allegedly.

Clodfobble 01-30-2009 12:28 PM

I have perfected the art of the microwave baked potato. Even faster than a sandwich!

Sundae 01-30-2009 02:43 PM

Snow forecast! Ooooooooh!
Mum says if she wakes up to let the cat out (their cat) and it's snowed, she'll wake me up.

We'll probably get it Sunday night.
I am very snow-wary - it's always promised and rarely delivered, but I'm allowing myself to get excited this time.

classicman 01-30-2009 03:05 PM

Bri's back, It's Friday and well uhhh ummm ya see.... that's all. That's enough.

limey 01-30-2009 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 528530)
I have perfected the art of the microwave baked potato. Even faster than a sandwich!

Oh! Please share!

Clodfobble 01-30-2009 06:03 PM

For a medium potato, 4 and a half minutes on full power (don't forget to poke it full of holes,) then let it sit for another 5 minutes--the inside will continue to cook. Cut it open and dump any number of delicious things inside.

limey 01-31-2009 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 528699)
For a medium potato, 4 and a half minutes on full power (don't forget to poke it full of holes,) then let it sit for another 5 minutes--the inside will continue to cook. Cut it open and dump any number of delicious things inside.

Thank you!

Sundae 01-31-2009 04:11 AM

But... but... but...
The skin is all nasty and soft!

I'll stick to the long slow cooking, thanks.

Chocolatl 01-31-2009 08:58 AM

I have to spend the weekend creating a lesson unit for my freshmen (which really should be in the "What's mildly irritating you today?") but what's making me happy is that the unit is centered on media. As a kid I wanted to work as a cinematographer, so it makes me happy that I can use what little knowledge I have for a good use. All of the other teachers in the department are a little freaked out by this unit because they feel they don't know much about film.

The main film we've been asked to use is Edward Scissorhands, and as a Tim Burton/Johnny Depp fangirl this is very helpful because I already have a book with storyboards for The Nightmare Before Christmas, the soundtracks for Edward and Nightmare, and a handful of movies that I plan to use for demonstrating shots/camera angles (namely Big Fish and Pirates of the Caribbean).

I think this is going to be a really awesome unit if I can just convince the kids to get on board.

Shawnee123 01-31-2009 09:01 AM

How awesome Chocolatl. I am a huge Depp fan: without saying a word he nailed Edward Scissorhands.

What a great teacher you must be. :)

On a side note: have you seen Ed Wood?

Chocolatl 01-31-2009 09:07 AM

Keep your fingers crossed that my students think it's great, too! The classes I'm teaching it to are all sophomores and juniors that failed freshman English and are repeating the class so that they can graduate. One would think it might mean higher motivation, and for a handful it does, but the grand majority of them feel that if it wasn't interesting for them the first time around it sure as hell isn't gonna capture their imaginations this time around. They've never had a media unit before, though, so I'm hoping I can grab them by working in recent movies.

I've seen the first half of Ed Wood, but for whatever reason I didn't have the chance to see it all the way through and don't remember much of it except for something about an angora sweater.

It's on my list of movies to see, when I have time in my next life. ;-)

Shawnee123 01-31-2009 09:10 AM

It's one of my favorite movies.

Good luck. I bet you grab a lot of them. :)

limey 01-31-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 528864)
But... but... but...
The skin is all nasty and soft!

I'll stick to the long slow cooking, thanks.

[threaddrift]Thanks for the warning! I read somewhere that if you cooked it (baked potato in a microwave) wrapped in kitchen paper the skin'd be crispy? Does anyone know?[/threaddrift]

Shawnee123 01-31-2009 10:25 AM

I do like a nice baked potato from the oven...but a quick microwave potato will do.

I eat the skin...so many people I know leave it. It's the best part!

Clodfobble 01-31-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey
I read somewhere that if you cooked it (baked potato in a microwave) wrapped in kitchen paper the skin'd be crispy? Does anyone know?

I wrap mine in a paper towel, and the skin is dry but admittedly not crispy.