The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

ZenGum 07-20-2009 11:22 PM

Congrats again, Dana; I haven't heard the word graduand since I was one!
I have never worn a mortar board either. My bachelor's involved a hood, and the D was a giant floppy hat. Walk proud across that stage, and don't rush it. Savour the moment. Wear a handshake buzzer. Or wheelies.

Flint, yeah, nice one.

Re Clod's drains:
I agree with Glatt - condensate cannot be mineralised. It is literally distilled water. And if your A/C is a refrigerative unit - most are - it doesn't take tap water.
Yet Clod reliably describes beige chunks of calcified crap blown out of the pipes.

So, WTF is it and where is it coming from?

Here's a theory.
Regular condensation is trickling down the pipes. This allows slime and algae to thrive. The conditions in Texas add a steady supply of wind-blow dust which collects in the pan and is washed down into the pipe by the flowing condensate. It is trapped by the algae and incorporated into the make-up of the algae. This mix of dust and slime is your beige crap. Technically, this might even be a stromatolite.
If this is correct, then you may even be able to see layers of dust/algae/dust/algae in a cross section of the chunks, but maybe not.

Suggestions:
Examine the beige crap to see if this theory might be right. Look for slime and dust layers. A modest optical microscope might reveal the layers, or algal cell structures, and might also show up obviously wind-blown debris: pollen, feather fragments, leaf fragments, etc etc.
You said calcified - one test for calcite is that it bubbles vigorously when Hydrochloric Acid is dropped on it. If you don't have HCl ready to hand, try the CLR and see.
Ultimately, I suggest taking some samples into a university geology lab and asking around. Someone will be willing to help.

If it is this mix of dust and water-nurtured slime, I suggest seeing if it is possible to reduce the entry of dust into the system. Regardless of the cause, regular flushing maintenance sounds wise.

I would also suggest getting a camera-on-a-hose-thingie to have a look at your other drain pipes before you commit to pouring strong chemicals (yes, Flint, and money) down your drains on a regular basis. It may well be that only the AC drain is affected this way.

glatt 07-21-2009 07:38 AM

Maintenance of HVAC air handlers. I should do this, but don't.

Shawnee123 07-21-2009 07:40 AM

Enjoy, Dana! You've worked hard for this.

PS Mortar boards are all in fun until someone throws theirs and someone loses an eye.

Trilby 07-21-2009 07:50 AM

What's making me happy? That Dana has empathy for cockroaches.

for some reason, this is unsurprising and delightful at the same time.

TheMercenary 07-21-2009 10:41 AM

Congrats Dana. From what I have been reading on here over the last few, you have completely deserved it. Enjoy.

What's the next degree? :D

Shawnee123 07-21-2009 12:12 PM

Since the salad bar at work now sucks, I've brought in my own sunflower seeds and chinese noodles. Today, they didn't even bother re-filling the cottage cheese. So I wandered around the cafe for what seemed like days trying to find something to eat that wasn't fat-stuffed carbs or carb-stuffed fats. I noticed, amidst the Vegetarian Hummus Grand Wrap With Bacon and Feta and Alfalfa Sprouts and someone's Special Sauce that you can actually buy a (drumroll please) Turkey and Cheese on Wheat sandwich. Just a regular old sandwich. No, I don't want mayo. No, I don't want whatever Flossie Mae dug out of her backyard sprinkled with peppercorns and a hint of garlic paste and sun-dried tomatoes and organic dirt. Just a sandwich.

Really, there's way too much going on in food these days.

ZenGum 07-21-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 582857)
What's the next degree? :D

Third.

:nadkick: :smashfrea:dedhorse:

DanaC 07-22-2009 03:05 AM

:P The next degree is a Mastership by Research:) Starting in September.

Crimson Ghost 07-22-2009 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 583021)
Third.

Then you can decide if you want to go Scottish Rite or York Rite...

sweetwater 07-22-2009 01:13 PM

My husband surprised me with a longhorn cow with a 3 month old calf, and a 1 year old donkey. Been busy teaching the calf & donkey halter manners and grooming the donkey - who really needs it. I haven't worked with an equine for years.

Sundae 07-22-2009 01:47 PM

Got my snit in perspective.
Back where I belong.

DanaC 07-22-2009 04:36 PM

Good lass :)

TheMercenary 07-22-2009 07:48 PM

SG is back. :)

capnhowdy 07-22-2009 08:08 PM

Me happy.

capnhowdy 07-22-2009 08:09 PM

SG maketh me happy.

monster 07-22-2009 08:23 PM

me 3

BigV 07-22-2009 08:32 PM

I'm on vacation.

Alaska, HO!

monster 07-22-2009 08:37 PM

What will you ask the ho?

Jaydaan 07-22-2009 08:42 PM

I got a laptop today. An old one, but its mine... all mine :P

ZenGum 07-22-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 583230)
I'm on vacation.

Alaska, HO!

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 583232)
What will you ask the ho?

Well, now that she isn't governor anymore, she needs to make a living somehow.

monster 07-22-2009 09:24 PM

but can she screw russia from her porch?

TheMercenary 07-22-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 583254)
but can she screw russia from her porch?

Yep, from right here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...31842&t=h&z=10

http://www.pbs.org/harriman/current/...s/diomede.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diomede_Islands

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Diomede_Island

limey 07-23-2009 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetwater (Post 583143)
My husband surprised me with a longhorn cow with a 3 month old calf, and a 1 year old donkey. ... I haven't worked with an equine for years.

:eyebrow::eek::blush:

limey 07-23-2009 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 583152)
Got my snit in perspective.
Back where I belong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 583174)
Good lass :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 583218)
SG is back. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by capnhowdy (Post 583222)
Me happy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by capnhowdy (Post 583223)
SG maketh me happy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 583226)
me 3

me6

Shawnee123 07-23-2009 07:15 AM

Upgraded computer at work. What a difference. I have two monitors, for reconciliation purposes, and they were also upgraded from 15" to 17". They seem huge. I feel like I'm parked in the front row at the drive-in movie theater.

DanaC 07-23-2009 11:44 AM

Har! I am no longer a lowly graduand! I have graduated *does the happy happy dance*

More details and pics when I have sobered up:P

Shawnee123 07-23-2009 11:59 AM

:celebrat:

Queen of the Ryche 07-23-2009 12:03 PM

Woot for V's vacation,
Double Woot for Dana! Way to go babe!!!
And Triple Woot that Cherry is back! The cellar felt dark without you!!!

Trilby 07-23-2009 12:04 PM

I'm sneezing like a ---oh, wait. Wrong thread.

TheMercenary 07-25-2009 08:38 AM

We just got our order of "Dead like Me" DVD's in the mail. I can't wait to watch the whole thing from start to finish. If no one has had a chance to see it you can read a review here. Basically it is a dark comedy about this 18yo girl who gets killed by a toilet making re-entry from a dead Soviet Space station and she becomes a Grim Reaper. They help people transition to death but she is stuck in this pergatory doing the work. It really is funny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Like_Me

Sundae 07-25-2009 08:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Aw thanks darlin's.
It means a LOT.

Mr Shah (corner-store owner, proper stereotype) told me today I looked lovely.
I don't. Not to me, and surely not to a 70+ asian man.
But hey - if he likes me make-the-best-of-it baby mohowak, I'll just accept the compliment :)

Dani - yay! You go girl! Congrats on your graduation.

PS - I was smiling at Mr Shah, not doing a fake-punk snarl.

Clodfobble 07-27-2009 09:49 PM

I am happy because Mr. Clod has actually kept up with his newly-inspired workout schedule. He has cut a piece of plywood to balance across the arms of the treadmill, and figured out how to make his laptop a slave to the PVR over the wireless. So not only is he exercising, he's finishing off countless episodes of crappy anime series, so I don't have to be subjected to them in the livingroom.

Madman 07-28-2009 01:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It don't get no better than....

monster 07-28-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 584545)
I am happy because Mr. Clod has actually kept up with his newly-inspired workout schedule. He has cut a piece of plywood to balance across the arms of the treadmill, and figured out how to make his laptop a slave to the PVR over the wireless. So not only is he exercising, he's finishing off countless episodes of crappy anime series, so I don't have to be subjected to them in the livingroom.

awesome. sadly too late for beest and his Battlestar Galactica directors' podcast fixation, but next time he latches onto something aweful I'll remember this....

Undertoad 07-29-2009 09:07 AM

Finally put new rear struts on the Cellar Car. One of the rears was totally shot and was bottoming out, and the whole thing was getting seriously unsafe. I could hardly accelerate on some rainy streets -- the weight shifted to the rear so hard that the front wheels lost traction! Now it rides like awesome and makes me happy.

Queen of the Ryche 07-29-2009 04:20 PM

Just got two tix to Priest/Whitesnake at Red Rocks for $61.50!!! Woohoo! And a friend got us tix for Rain too......considering Crue Fest too........I am a live music whore!!!

capnhowdy 08-01-2009 07:15 AM

I am going to pick up my "new" motorcycle this morning. I paid for it and did the paperwork yesterday evening at the local Honda shop, but we were having torrential rain so I left it there. Pics pending. WOO HOO!

Trilby 08-01-2009 12:50 PM

I am not now drunk. That makes me happy because it's not always the case.

Sundae 08-03-2009 01:15 PM

I'm not drunk too!
Not what I came here to say, but it's always worth saying for me.

I booked tickets to La Cage Aux Folles today :)
Mum had theatre vouchers as a present when she retired (3 years ago) but she and Dads could never quite agree on the show. When I told Mum I'd love to see John Barrowman (Cap'n Jack) as Albin - thinking tickets in The Gods - she offered to use her vouchers as long as I booked it. OPENING NIGHT! And we're in the stalls!

Given my druthers I'd have booked one of the cabaret tables later in the run (same price as stalls, just harder to get hold of) because the lead sings directly to you. If you're in seat A1 they hold your hand in one certain number. I asked Mum and - get this - she said. "I'd do it for you" which is a complete reversal of Mum's usual abhorrence of being looked at. For me! I didn't go for it but it was worth a lot. I mean, seriously - I am so made up about our tickets, but more than that - Mum wanted us to go together AND Mum would have been in a public seat to please me.

I decided first night was better, because even though La Barrowman is a seasoned performer, you can't tell whether he'll be ill on a specific night. But let's face it, even if he has swine flu, he won't miss his opening night - he might have to be wheeled on at the end, but we can star-spot anyway. And whatever Mum says, I know she will be happier in the stalls. And I do love her, and this is her treat after all.

Oh - just realised I forgot to say - Mum & I had a really intense conversation last week.
Too intense to report at the time.
I actually managed to say how worried/ upset her anger made me, and suggest she went back into counselling. She shared more about how my drinking had affected her, without being nasty. It was all painful, but crikey I felt better after. Like getting a head on a spot.

Oh - and Yo Sushi have a Monday deal :)
I'm gonna take Mum to Yo Sushi - which Dads would hate - and have a blue plate special. Even if she doesn't love it (the food) she'll love it (the experience) because she'll be telling all her friends about it for months. I do love her, you know. She can cut me to the bone, but I love her. And I know despite her horror at silly things like my hair and my clothes, she quite likes having a daughter she can talk about.

TheMercenary 08-03-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capnhowdy (Post 585428)
I am going to pick up my "new" motorcycle this morning. I paid for it and did the paperwork yesterday evening at the local Honda shop, but we were having torrential rain so I left it there. Pics pending. WOO HOO!

Congrats! Can't wait to see it. That makes 4 of us, I think, who ride.

TheMercenary 08-03-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 585773)
I'm not drunk too!
Not what I came here to say, but it's always worth saying for me.

I booked tickets to La Cage Aux Folles today :)
Mum had theatre vouchers as a present when she retired (3 years ago) but she and Dads could never quite agree on the show. When I told Mum I'd love to see John Barrowman (Cap'n Jack) as Albin - thinking tickets in The Gods - she offered to use her vouchers as long as I booked it. OPENING NIGHT! And we're in the stalls!

Given my druthers I'd have booked one of the cabaret tables later in the run (same price as stalls, just harder to get hold of) because the lead sings directly to you. If you're in seat A1 they hold your hand in one certain number. I asked Mum and - get this - she said. "I'd do it for you" which is a complete reversal of Mum's usual abhorrence of being looked at. For me! I didn't go for it but it was worth a lot. I mean, seriously - I am so made up about our tickets, but more than that - Mum wanted us to go together AND Mum would have been in a public seat to please me.

I decided first night was better, because even though La Barrowman is a seasoned performer, you can't tell whether he'll be ill on a specific night. But let's face it, even if he has swine flu, he won't miss his opening night - he might have to be wheeled on at the end, but we can star-spot anyway. And whatever Mum says, I know she will be happier in the stalls. And I do love her, and this is her treat after all.

Oh - just realised I forgot to say - Mum & I had a really intense conversation last week.
Too intense to report at the time.
I actually managed to say how worried/ upset her anger made me, and suggest she went back into counselling. She shared more about how my drinking had affected her, without being nasty. It was all painful, but crikey I felt better after. Like getting a head on a spot.

Oh - and Yo Sushi have a Monday deal :)
I'm gonna take Mum to Yo Sushi - which Dads would hate - and have a blue plate special. Even if she doesn't love it (the food) she'll love it (the experience) because she'll be telling all her friends about it for months. I do love her, you know. She can cut me to the bone, but I love her. And I know despite her horror at silly things like my hair and my clothes, she quite likes having a daughter she can talk about.

Great stuff SG! Glad to hear you are healing some relationships with your Mum.

capnhowdy 08-03-2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 585785)

I've hardly parked it long enough for pics since I picked it up Sat. AM..... I'm going outside to try some in the dark now. If it don't work out I'll get some maybe tomorrow.
BTW... I'll be in Sav'h Sat. 8/08 for a Moose lodge Legion meeting. I'll be with a group of fellow officers and I'm not sure about the schedule yet. If I can break away from biz long enough I'll let you know via laptop. A lot of ifs right now.... will know more soon.

TheMercenary 08-03-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capnhowdy (Post 585874)
I've hardly parked it long enough for pics since I picked it up Sat. AM..... I'm going outside to try some in the dark now. If it don't work out I'll get some maybe tomorrow.
BTW... I'll be in Sav'h Sat. 8/08 for a Moose lodge Legion meeting. I'll be with a group of fellow officers and I'm not sure about the schedule yet. If I can break away from biz long enough I'll let you know via laptop. A lot of ifs right now.... will know more soon.

No problem. I have a 48 hour shift 8/9. Friday night would be my only possiblity unless you are around the following week, just let me know.

Can't wait to see the pics.

capnhowdy 08-03-2009 08:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pics not too good tonight... will get some tomorrow in daylight.
Attachment 24361

Attachment 24362

ZenGum 08-04-2009 12:33 AM

VROOOMMMMM! :D

DanaC 08-04-2009 05:25 AM

The Cellar is making me happy today.

I've been a little low of late. The last week or so. Been able to feel depression nibbling at my heels. That's the trouble with Summer, if you're involved in academic pursuits...you have to stop running for the Summer. You stand still. Deadlines are a thing of autumn and spring. Summer is a hiatus: deadlines are selfimposed and lack the urgency to keep you in motion. Enter stage left: intrusive thoughts. Unhelpful, pessimistic, self-deriding little tendrils of something dark and unwanted. Took a while to recognise their flavour.

Today is a better day. Recognition brings acceptance, and fresh mindset. So today I logged on to the Cellar and was open to its charms. I am reminded again of the warmth and ordinariness of these connections.

Specifically what's made me happy is an update pm on a dwellar's tribulations; and Sundae's little entry above. With little steps we climb the mountains. Our little expeditionary force of humans. And every such step is worth a smile.

Griff 08-04-2009 05:32 AM

My kid was homesick at fencing camp the first night but I've had three joyful calls home since.

Got some good news in the PM box as well, let's all keep hoping.

Shawnee123 08-04-2009 08:16 AM

A KILLER thunderstorm early this morning (Bri can attest, I'm sure.) It was absolutely awesome!

Queen of the Ryche 08-04-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 585785)

Five :D

Trilby 08-04-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 585948)
A KILLER thunderstorm early this morning (Bri can attest, I'm sure.) It was absolutely awesome!

It WAS! COOL! It's still sorta going on down here, Shawnee....your way too?

Shawnee123 08-04-2009 03:01 PM

I don't know about home, but I've been watching the window here all day, lightning and rain, wishing the electric would go out. I am sleeeeeeeppppppyyyyyyyy. :zzz:

Flint 08-04-2009 03:02 PM

You have windows?! Sometimes I forget that windows exist.

Shawnee123 08-04-2009 03:04 PM

I got lucky, got a window cubie in the cube farm. I can see some hospital from my window. :)

Flint 08-04-2009 03:09 PM

That brick wall on the backside of the hospital with no windows on it is where I sit.

dar512 08-04-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 585985)
You have windows?! Sometimes I forget that windows exist.

They don't exist for you, you IT Morlock. Get back to work.

Trilby 08-04-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 585990)
That brick wall on the backside of the hospital with no windows on it is where I sit.

coz you're a radiation guy, right? gotta keep those mrem's down.

Flint 08-04-2009 03:56 PM

Nah, that radiation jazz ain't for me, baby. I just manage the PACS. I never was an RT--I skipped that part.

Aliantha 08-04-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 585929)
The Cellar is making me happy today.

I've been a little low of late. The last week or so. Been able to feel depression nibbling at my heels. That's the trouble with Summer, if you're involved in academic pursuits...you have to stop running for the Summer. You stand still. Deadlines are a thing of autumn and spring. Summer is a hiatus: deadlines are selfimposed and lack the urgency to keep you in motion. Enter stage left: intrusive thoughts. Unhelpful, pessimistic, self-deriding little tendrils of something dark and unwanted. Took a while to recognise their flavour.

Today is a better day. Recognition brings acceptance, and fresh mindset. So today I logged on to the Cellar and was open to its charms. I am reminded again of the warmth and ordinariness of these connections.

Specifically what's made me happy is an update pm on a dwellar's tribulations; and Sundae's little entry above. With little steps we climb the mountains. Our little expeditionary force of humans. And every such step is worth a smile.

It's probably also got a lot to do with finally graduating Dana. At some level you're probably still trying to create new meaning over your new status and all that mumbo jumbo.

I'm glad you're feeling better now though.

capnhowdy 08-04-2009 09:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I am a shitty photographer, but anyway....
Attachment 24365

Attachment 24366

Glinda 08-06-2009 12:01 PM

This evening, I shall be dining on yummy, delicious sushi. Haven't had sushi in over a year - I'm really looking forward to it!