The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

monster 05-07-2008 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 451771)
The rhythm of soles on pavement, lungs filled with the sweet smell of blooming crabapple trees, following the scent back to my childhood backyard.

I misread. I was trying to imagine why Crappable trees would be a good thing.....

Cicero 05-07-2008 09:39 PM

First celeb. e-mail through work. lol! Wow. :)

elSicomoro 05-08-2008 10:08 AM

Percocet :grinnylov

Cloud 05-08-2008 12:33 PM

Wow! Got a $4,500 check out the blue. Nice surprise!

BigV 05-08-2008 12:42 PM

Rode the bus to work today.

WTG Cloud!

Shawnee123 05-08-2008 12:43 PM

OK, I need to know who "The Blue" is and how to get into contact with him. I got some cable TV to get, before it's too late! :p

Good surprise, Cloud.

Cloud 05-08-2008 12:56 PM

no kidding. I inherited a bunch of little oil and gas interests, and I get checks dribbling in. They've been going up--no big surprise there, but -- nothing like this. This amount is about 10 times the entire royalties from this provider for last year.

Apparently we hit a big pocket of gas! :D

I don't have any particular need or use for this money, so I'm sticking it in savings. It's about 4 months' worth of gas, so maybe it will keep up!

Maybe I'll take a real trip, like off the North American continent.

Trilby 05-08-2008 01:32 PM

belated congrats, Dana! and to you, too, cloud---always nice to get a check!

Shawnee123 05-08-2008 01:37 PM

Heck, I hit a big pocket of gas earlier today and got nuttin'! Seriously, that is cool.

Oh, and I've been a bad lurker...congrats DanaC! :)

Ibby 05-09-2008 12:32 PM

Today, I realized just how surreal my life is.
This realization came while watching two extremely hyper, fairly attractive asian girls dancing wildly to Prince in my living room (well, more like den) at midnight.

lemme back up a bit.
tonight was the second and last night of Paradox Plus, one of the TAS theatre events. I acted as the lead in one short play, as a silent extra in a second, and as the on-stage director in a seated reading of a play I had written. Everything went off extremely well, and the show as a whole (10 15-minute one-acts) went brilliantly. Then, I hosted a cast party at my house, with i'd say around 20 people showing up and having a great time eating junk food and listening to some great vinyl and just hanging out for a couple hours.

really, it was all just pretty amazing.

Sundae 05-09-2008 01:00 PM

Ibs that's pretty cool.
Remember that in years to come, when you wonder where your extremely hyper, fairly attractive asian girls are. You've already had your fair share.

For me it's Friday afternoon. Well, Friday evening.
I've been semi-avoiding HM because of a HORRIFIC row we had Weds night - I couldn't face him properly til we had time to talk. Called him this afternoon to say - genuinely - I was working late preparing for the Board Meeting on Sunday, and could he feed the boys? And when I asked if he was in later because I wanted a chat, he was fine. He told me not to worry.

So I feel light as air, and will make this the best board meeting ever - still proving myself in my new job.

Oh and it's summer here! Not altogether my bag, but it makes everyone else so happy. Tomorrow I intend to lie in and then go & read The Other Boleyn Girl in Greenwich Park, in the shade. After feeding the squirrels. Now I know I'm not going to be kicked out of the house I mean.

Happy days.

Shawnee123 05-09-2008 01:32 PM

You kick some board meetin' butt, SG!

Why is it when you describe your happy days it makes other people's days happy, too? :)

BigV 05-09-2008 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From last Sunday, but it still makes me happy today and every day:

BigV 05-09-2008 05:26 PM

Even better:

Going to the baseball game tonight, with Tink!

Cloud 05-09-2008 05:43 PM

cool new silver Birkies!

elSicomoro 05-09-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 452407)
Even better:

To see the M's? What, are you a glutton for punishment? ;)

DanaC 05-09-2008 06:24 PM

Both the research projects that I had an extension for were due in at lunchtime today. I had them both submitted by about 10.30...having worked from fairly early Thursday morning right through the day and night, with a couple of breaks to walk the dog, post a bit in the cellar, eat a sandwich. Thank God the selection of research topics included some with online primary sources (Parliamentary 'Blue Books' and the Mass Observation Archive). I only made my decision on the topic on Tuesday afternoon, was too busy trying to get the other project somewhere close to finished.....

Chosen source: a royal commission on childrens employment in mining and manufacturing from the mid-19th century.....the pdf scanned text is 2100 pages long and difficult to read, physically, I mean, the font and the faded pages in parts.

Other research project involved writing an historical wiki page for the universities wiki project ... I think the course is designed in such a way that you might spend the whole semester building up the actually writing the page.....as opposed to glance at the script commands and short cuts identify a few sources and write the intro then abandon it til 6 days before it's due.

All done. All completed. Took an all-nighter like the last one did, but I got there yey! I'm having the weekend off (apart from a bit of labour party stuff) and so went to the library and got a big bag of fiction to read!

Sundae 05-10-2008 07:01 AM

Yay for you Dana
Although you do make me feel so... plebian. With yore eddication and all.

I'm enjoying the unexpected slice of summer - in my own way.
I was sat outside in the yard this morning, with Dylan buzzing around, keeping me company. Have come in during the hottest part of the day and will put a t-shirt on before I go out again to protect my shoulders and chest.

I feel so happy and comfortable. Like a real person again, having a real weekend.
Even though I'm minuting the Board Meeting tomorrow and then working in the pub in the evening. But then I've never been bothered by work, with the added bonus that these days I enjoy it.

Little bit more Cellar, then off to show my legs the sun again.
Back later this afternoon.

DanaC 05-10-2008 09:58 AM

Oh isn't it glorious out there, SG? It's lovely in the North too. I just took pilau for a walk through the field at the top of Blake hill (I posted a picture ofthe valley from that field a while ago, it's the one with all the dry stone walls) the grass is high and emerald green, with bright flashes of yellow, carpeted in places there are that many buttercups and dandelions, daisies and cowslip. The air is hot and still and heavy with the smell of flowers.

This morning I went to the Group meeting for the second part of our annual general meeting where we decide strategy for the first council meeting of the year... two minutes back in the job and I find myself at the centre of trouble and controversy again....about to break the group's line in council and vote against the group position. There's one other person voting with me. In theory they could withdraw the whip for it, but I doubt they'll try. We'll see.

Anyway, that's a tale for another day. The point is, the meeting is over, the dog is walked, I have a book I am enjoying reading and am about to pick up again (when I finish posting this!). I have a bottle of Peroni lager and a ready rolled smoke, no assignments hanging over me, and nowhere I have to be. I even got my act together last night and washed the pots, did a bit of a tidyup so its a pleasant house to sit in. The window is swung fully open and there are a variety of birds singing outside.

Basically I have the central components of my perfect Saturday afternoon. Glorious.

SteveDallas 05-10-2008 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 452407)

To the Mariners? Have you tried their DS service?

Sundae 05-10-2008 01:18 PM

Right now, Dr Who (current episode called The Doctor's Daughter)
Oh my, David Tennant still makes me want to lick the screen.

I'd have his daughter.

Anyway it's a good fun episode.

DucksNuts 05-11-2008 05:11 AM

A week without sleeping pills :)

Shawnee123 05-12-2008 12:44 PM

I got a double spork at Taco Hell today. Two sporks in one package. Or maybe it was one spork and one foon. That has to mean something. Doesn't it? Come on, work with me, I'm glomming on to whatever I can get at this point. ;)

SteveDallas 05-12-2008 12:48 PM

Oh shit! Just make sure you don't let them breed!!!!

classicman 05-12-2008 12:52 PM

A woman.

LabRat 05-12-2008 01:26 PM

The smell of freshly cut grass coming in through my open window, and knowing that I'll be skipping out of work early for a run in a little while.

I love my job sometimes.

And despite getting my period this weekend when we thought for sure we got the job done on vacation, I had a great Mother's Day. I am a lucky lucky woman.

HungLikeJesus 05-12-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 452996)
A woman.

For a minute I thought I had wandered into this thread.

Undertoad 05-12-2008 07:08 PM

Now that my new car from LJ is all legal and stuff, yesterday I drove it 4 hours on the PA Turnpike, and with the cruise set at about 68 mph, I achieved 30.2 miles per gallon for the trip. The car is rated at 27 highway and so this achievement makes me feel like I got a good one.

Cicero 05-12-2008 07:15 PM

wow. LJ sold you ya' car? Awesome! Photo of this car anyone? Awesome!! 30.2 mpg's? I am so jealous!!

Undertoad 05-12-2008 07:21 PM

His top salesdude sold it to me, but LJ financed it with fine-tuned expertise. I'm overdue to give y'all a picture of it.

lookout123 05-13-2008 11:48 AM

wow. I'm totally jealous. I've considered ditching my FJ for something that won't cost as much in fuel department.

Shawnee123 05-13-2008 12:00 PM

Still happy from graduation ceremony Friday. The faculty/administrative staff leaves the ceremony before the graduated students. On my way out, I heard a couple voices yell "Thank you (Shawnee!)" I turned and looked and it was this young married couple I have been helping for the last few years. They worked hard and made it and to be thanked like that was more than I could ask for, and more than upper management would ever acknowledge. I will float by on that for at least a couple months. :)

HungLikeJesus 05-13-2008 12:48 PM

It's perfect snow-man making weather. We have about 6 or 8 inches of wet heavy snow on the ground, and it's still coming down. The tree branches are loaded and I see an occasional avalanche drop in front of my window.

Of course, I'm sitting in my (home) office working, and am not outside playing. Maybe I'll go out at lunch and throw some snowballs at the neighbor's dogs.

Sundae 05-13-2008 01:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:eek:
Snow?!

It's super duper hot here (won't last)
So I've just bought myself a cute little dress off eBay

Am already training my ankles for heels - then I'll have to break in each individual pair (lots of blisters, bleeding, scabs, sigh)
Even with all those I gave to charity when I moved I still have at least three pairs that will look great with this!

DanaC 05-13-2008 03:20 PM

That's very you, sundae!

kerosene 05-13-2008 04:42 PM

That is adorable, Sundae! It will look great on you.

BigV 05-15-2008 11:35 AM

NORTHBOUND pdf file!!!!!!!!!

:does happy dance:

Shawnee123 05-15-2008 12:35 PM

Starting next week, the campus will be closed on Fri, Sat and Sun throughout summer. This is supposed to save costs. We will still be getting our hours in, but it will be difficult to do the extra hours we are used to since the day will already be 10 hours and there will be no popping in on the weekend to catch up. When they say closed they mean NO access. I can't work from home like some because 1) I don't have internet 2) DOE software could not be installed at home and 3) We're not allowed to lug SSNs around.

But, we will have 3 day weekends every weekend until August, and we will actually have a 4 day weekend for Memorial Day and the Fourth of July.

The days will seem long but I think it will be great. We will also save on gas and I don't have to figure out clothing rotations for an extra day each week. ;)

HungLikeJesus 05-15-2008 12:40 PM

That's great Shawnee, though I guess you'll only be here four days per week then? If you're not here on Fridays then I won't be here either.

Shawnee123 05-15-2008 12:41 PM

Funny.

Yeah, I was thinking I heard a collective sigh of relief from Dwellars and a "Can't wait for Friday" rejoicing sound.

:lol:

elSicomoro 05-15-2008 01:05 PM

This was the day before I traded in my Malibu, when it hit 100,000 miles. I finally learned how to take a video on my phone and get it into YouTube:

What can I say? I'm retarded.

Sundae 05-15-2008 07:48 PM

The return of the Wolf.
Welcome back.

HungLikeJesus 05-16-2008 10:37 AM

I might actually have high speed internet by this afternoon (after living with dial-up for the last thousand years).

BigV 05-16-2008 04:31 PM

:heartpump
:heartpump :heartpump :heartpump Tink!!! :heartpump :heartpump :heartpump

SteveDallas 05-16-2008 06:38 PM

How come? She finally let you install that electric griddle in the backyard pool?

HungLikeJesus 05-16-2008 07:09 PM

I do, I do, I do have high-speed internet.

SteveDallas 05-16-2008 07:23 PM

This fucking week is fucking over.

HungLikeJesus 05-16-2008 07:32 PM

Be careful crossing the street.

elSicomoro 05-17-2008 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Sundae 05-18-2008 04:35 PM

Yay for you Syc!

For me, once again it's Dr Who.
Watching it on catch up TV this week though.

Nothing can improve on seeing M Tennant on TV. Except having Catherine Tate as his sidekick, but that happens every week. But set in the 30s, one of my favourite periods. And with Felicity Kendall? Ooh. And the bloody hot ginger chap I saw playing Peter Cook in the West End two years ago and fancied immediately googling tells me he is Tom Goodman-Hill, watch that name!)...?

Good Lord. If they'd shoehorned Steve Pemberton into the episode (he's in a later one) I'd have slid off my chair.

kerosene 05-18-2008 07:05 PM

I have never seen Dr. Who and Perth keeps telling me I need to watch it with mini-caser. We just got Netflix, and there is a ton of Dr. Who to be seen there over the web. Perhaps I will have to watch some.

Cicero 05-18-2008 09:36 PM

My landlord is going to let me have a dog!!! YES!!! I'm going doggy shopping!! (and yes I will be a good cicero and possibly get a poor doomed black one)

YEA!!!

DucksNuts 05-18-2008 09:54 PM

sex

DanaC 05-19-2008 05:45 AM

Cool beans Cic!

Sundae, I also am very happy about Doctor Who lol. Gotta say though "The Doctor's Daughter" is my favourite episode of the series. Goddamn, Tennant can act!

classicman 05-19-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DucksNuts (Post 454873)
sex

details

Shawnee123 05-20-2008 05:15 PM

Yes, folks, I am very very happy at the moment.

I was called into the bosses bosses office (I haven't a clue how to punctuate that correctly and don't care right now) a short while ago.

They brought me in to tell me that the president has agreed to reclassifying my and my cow orkers job title and classification. The title and the job description much more closely match everything that I (and my good friend cow orker) do.

It also comes with reclassification to the appropriate coordinator level pay grade, where it should have been all along...they even admit.

It also feels good because I started out here as entry level front line person, was promoted twice, and since I have been here we have made great strides in making others realize we do so much more than "data entry." Laughingly enough, that is what the ex controller used to say we did. HA. I feel so great about it all.

I'm so happy I can't concentrate on anything else today! I'm glad I have been getting so much work done or I might feel guilty.

What a difference a week makes; last week I wasn't sure how much longer I'd be here.

I want to shout from the rooftops (but for one thing it's not my place or style to brag or to let on that our pay increased...especially in this flat and dismal budget year) but I'm just bursting inside.

Is there a smilie big enough? :) :blush: :p :3eye: :)

Thanks for a venue to share my good news!

Aliantha 05-20-2008 05:17 PM

That's great Shawnee. Good for you!

I'm happy today because I'm picking the kids up after school and they're spending the night with us.

Sundae 05-20-2008 05:25 PM

:celebrat: Shawnee -I am SO happy for you.
Many congratulations on a job well done and a promotion well won.
Fantastic that they appreciate your input - you deserve it.

Ali - ah, good to hear it's still a to and fro process. Makes the initial wrench a little less traumatic I imagine? Enjoy them!

BigV 05-20-2008 06:24 PM

HAWAII!

Cicero 05-20-2008 07:19 PM

@Shawnee-Hell, even I knew you do more than data entry. Awesome! Maybe you can get a computer at home now! We have to cellar-hop still.
:)