The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Sundae 09-07-2011 08:39 AM

Kind of odd, really. But that's why I come here.
I haven't been completely even in a long time.

Happy today because I was back at school!
A wonderful, wonderful day.

Every Wednesday the class is taken by Ms Mc - the teacher I worked with when I was volunteering. She is an inspiration (she inspired me to become a Teaching Assistant anyway!) and all the children adore her and want to do their best for her. She is now Deputy Head, and is just an extraordinary teacher. She is so effortless and natural, but works the children hard while playing up their positives. She teaches for all learning abilities and learning styles. Tiger doesn't really need me on Wednesdays!

He was pleased to be back too.
He has a new blue and green coat, but the zip is picked out in orange, so there is a little bit of Tiger left for me :)
He said just before I left today, "I really like it in this classroom." So that kept me smiling all the way home.

He had a bad night last night, Tiger-Mum said. He couldn't sleep and had lots of questions, then woke up at 05.00 and was worrying. I think he'll probably crash out tonight! But at least he's seen that I'm still there and I will look after him. And also he realises that school is still the same, it's just a different classroom. He won't see all his friends all the time, but he has at least three good friends in the class, and can sit and play with the others at lunchtime.

Tomorrow I spend time with my new teacher, Mrs M.
I've never worked with her before. Opinion is divided amongst the TAs - nothing really bad, just that she's very strict and can really yell. I'll get used to it. I can always look forward to Wednesdays! It will be a change for Tiger too - Ms Mc used to take Reception one afternoon a week, so he knew her. I think we'll weather it though. He responds well to a disciplined environment.

DanaC 09-07-2011 08:49 AM

There's a young lass at uni, a first year BA student who is studying on a 'research studentship' with my supervisor. She's so enthusiastic, in first flourish of obsession on redcoats and 18th century british army. She's doing blogs, and has written a wiki page, and is bouncing about all over Twitter :p

It's fun to watch. She's clearly got a ridiculously bright future as an academic if she chooses to go for that.

BigV 09-07-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 754781)
snip--
She's clearly got a ridiculously bright future as an academic if she chooses to go for that.

Oxymoron alert!

monster 09-07-2011 03:53 PM

You don't think it's possible to have a bright future as an academic?

BigV 09-07-2011 04:14 PM

I think the future for academics is dismal.

I see more magical thinking, more making shit up and calling it good, more conforming facts to suit conclusions than ever before. That makes me sad and discouraged.

Dana's description of this young woman's actions and energy does seem exciting, and if she's happy and finds happiness in academics, I'd be thrilled for her. If the definition of a bright future includes good pay, respect, career growth, etc, then I think the future for academics is grim.

Ugh. I should probably just turn Fox News Radio off now. I'm kinda makin myself sick.

DanaC 09-07-2011 04:24 PM

Depends which part of academia you're in. Eighteenth-century military history isn't where the big bucks and the worst practices are.

The immediate future doesn't look great in terms of employment conditions. But probably better than the working conditions in your average firm in the private sector. The difficulty is going to be tenure. That's a thing of the past i fear. But that still leaves a career to be had on diffferent terms that can be fulfilling. Historians aren't paid fantastically well, but in terms of job satisfaction and respect they do pretty well.

Sundae 09-08-2011 09:23 AM

Spoke to Lola a last night.
She's just such a sweet person.

Although apparently I speak too fast in my furrin accent :)
Maybe I should post some YouTube vids with subtitles to get her used to it.

Not seriously, but not poking fun.
I watch most programmes with subtitles when the option is there, stops me missing too much. It's especially helpful on American shows, where unfamiliar terms and pronunciations are used, as well as having "stirring" soundtracks to contend with.

Happy today because we had another good day settling down at school.
Mrs M was really easy to work with, and Mrs J (the other TA) has always been friendly and helpful, and continued to be such.
She's so experienced and works so well in her role that I might be intimidated with anyone else. But with her I know I can ask questions, and I don't have to be embarrassed at my lack of knowledge.

Bullitt 09-08-2011 10:04 AM

Got new tires on my bike. Cost a pretty penny but worth it. She feels very turny and has more grip. Should be fun.

It's the little things.

BigV 09-09-2011 06:33 PM

a nap.

back in a while.

footfootfoot 09-13-2011 11:11 AM

Got a scope mount for my 870 today and put a 4x scope on it. going to sight it in at the range on Thursday.

TheMercenary 09-14-2011 12:19 PM

Insurance company settled on my jet ski destroyed by someone else. Got a small chunk of change for it, less than the 4k I was asking but it was better than nothing. I am happy because I really did not want to go through the hassel of the insurance claim when it specifically stated that it was not covered if someone else was driving it, which they were. So better than nothing... Boat US is the bombdiggity.

Lola Bunny 09-14-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 756273)
Insurance company settled on my jet ski destroyed by someone else. Got a small chunk of change for it, less than the 4k I was asking but it was better than nothing. I am happy because I really did not want to go through the hassel of the insurance claim when it specifically stated that it was not covered if someone else was driving it, which they were. So better than nothing... Boat US is the bombdiggity.

:thumb2:

glatt 09-14-2011 01:23 PM

Good news! Still amazed that the dude broke your jet ski and wouldn't fix it.

TheMercenary 09-14-2011 01:32 PM

Yea, it is a sore point. I have since found out about some of his other actions in the community. He has a reputation. He owns a small business and has been implicated in some scams concerning failure to take care of people he sold equipment to and not repairing or replacing defective equipment.

Sundae 09-14-2011 01:39 PM

Pleased it wasn't a total loss for you Merc.
A costly lesson :( but once bitten...