The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

DanaC 07-05-2011 06:36 AM

Awww. Poor bears. They just lookin for food.

HungLikeJesus 07-05-2011 07:05 AM

If you feed the bears here the DOW will shoot them.

Nirvana 07-05-2011 09:05 AM

I don't think it went thru a cow :)

Sundae 07-05-2011 01:27 PM

Got an email from a friend I had at school - and after. She was one of my bridesmaids.

We were so close at school, but drifted apart after my divorce.
I felt my friend was very unsympathetic when I told her I was spearating from my husband, which lead to us not really talking.
When we got back in touch later I was still stung by her reaction and still felt I needed to bring it up, which meant our new contact withered on the vine.

Since then there's been FAR too much water under our prospective bridges to worry about it. I established contact with a lighthearted email and she responded in kind - although hers was actually funnier [damn!]

We'll never had what we did as 15 year olds living in eachother's pockets, but it's a nice feeling healing something I was responsible for breaking over ten years ago. Because we didn't lose our friendship because we grew out of eachother, and she can obvio7usly still make me laugh.

Maybe we'll be silver-haired old Grannies together.
And you don't have to have children to be a Granny. You just have to get on a bus and complain.

footfootfoot 07-06-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana (Post 743517)
I don't think it went thru a cow :)

N's Hubby's ring was shamanic
With properties astoundingly tonic
While waiting to hump
A cow took a dump
Thus Nirvana's delight became chronic

morethanpretty 07-06-2011 02:31 PM

Sister has an interview tomorrow! 1st since she started her hunt in June. Even if she doesn't get the job (as an admin assistant) hopefully this will give her an ego boost she needs. Really hopin she doesnt end back up at her hated job.

Sundae 07-07-2011 12:57 PM

Had a drumming assembly today.
I've never heard the African Drumming group perform before, although I have heard them rehearsing.

I loved it, but more importantly, Tiger did too.
40 minutes of sitting still and listening with no more fidgets or talking than the average 5 year old.

I had a quick look on t'internet in case there were any workshops running over the summer (I'd simply suggest it to Mum, it would be up to her whether she thought it would be suitable) but there's nothing in our region.

And secondly, I chopped half the legs off my old pair of jogging bottoms - the ones already scarred from various hair bleaching/ colouring sessions. They don't look any more respectable for the loss of the stains, but I feel cooller and I never wore them out any more anyway.

I now have a pair of shorts that look like they lived with Bluebeard. Or have met a News of the World journalist.

Clodfobble 07-07-2011 02:53 PM

:) Our medical clinic sponsors a monthly drum circle for spectrum kids. It is wildly popular. I'm not sure how the language barrier might interfere, but over here the phrase "drum circle" is likely to get a lot more relevant hits than "workshop." Drum circles are all about the free-form, express-yourself, just-have-fun kind of drumming attitude, whereas a workshop is more like drum lessons from a teacher. Like I said, not sure if the translation would hold up though.

Sundae 07-07-2011 04:09 PM

I'll try it. I did see Drum Circle come up, but it was for (musical) adults rather than a bang-about taster workshop.
He's too young to be part of a group on those lines, but I'll still let Mum know.
She's bound to have information I can't access.
It might be there is a Special Needs programme they can access and she might not consider without knowing Tiger is interested.

I know I can help in this way.
For example, Tiger is slowly progressing from his food issues by sampling small pieces of food from his friend's plate and enjoying them (he has no issues with digestion)

And he now eats two types of fruit at break.
This still means he rejects three, but the two additions are without any adult presure.
And Mum would not know without me. He ate none before.
Not bigging myself up (I am not there at break when fruit is available) but I do get the chance to write a note.
From a boy that would only eat toast it's a breakthrough.

From simply observing, I'm helping, even when the progress is not instigated by me.

ZenGum 07-09-2011 01:07 AM

Maybe not directly instigated ...

I can think of many ways in which drumming could be good for Tiger, but one of my rules of life is never give a child a drum unless you really hate their parents. :2cents:

DanaC 07-09-2011 04:00 AM

Awesome stuff Sundae. Tiger sounds like he's coming on in leaps and bounds.

Well: I gave my first academic paper at a conference on Thursday morning. Was incredibly nerve-wracking lol. Only put finishing touches to it late Wednesday. Was well-received and only got hit with two questions, both of which I was able to answer *releived*

Was a great time overall. Loads of interesting papers and had a riotous good laugh at the Gala Dinner that night.

Decided against staying over in Leeds for the two nights as I originally intended, 'cause Dante's in a bit of a bad way, so not fair to lumber Mum with a secon dog for two nights. Meant travelling in both days and back again, but worth it.

Will post more about this (and the Dante sitch in pets thread) later. Still recovering from alcohol/excitement/sleepless nights getting paper sorted:p

SamIam 07-09-2011 09:58 AM

The manager of the Bates Motel and her hubby are off to the big city for 4 days. Yes! I will control the vertical. I will control the horizontal. No more "but Carmine always lets me" - have a room for $10.00; lets me stay for free; would trade this cruddy necklace for a room for me and my husband and our three children and two uncles and our grandmother; let us park our truck filled with baaa-ing and stinky sheep in the motel lot - fill in the blank.

Not THIS weekend, suckers! Carmine is 400 miles away and I am right here! No livestock, no free-loading, no more atrocities committed in Carmine's name. I don't have her cell phone number and I am MEAN and loving it! :p:

casimendocina 07-09-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 744004)
Well: I gave my first academic paper at a conference on Thursday morning. Was incredibly nerve-wracking lol. Only put finishing touches to it late Wednesday. Was well-received and only got hit with two questions, both of which I was able to answer *releived*

:cheerldr:

DanaC 07-09-2011 10:44 AM

Why thankyou casi *grins*

@Sam: enjoy The Power !

casimendocina 07-09-2011 10:52 AM

MTP, how did sis go with her job interview?

BigV 07-10-2011 01:29 AM

I don't have a picture.

I've been looking and looking--screw it.

here's what's making me happy today. Today, I'm finally giving notice to all of you that I've put up footfootfoot's dandelion wine. Today is the notice, the bottling was a couple months ago.

Perhaps in a few more months, I'll post the pitchur.

Sundae 07-10-2011 05:16 AM

Hey Dani, big congrats!

DanaC 07-10-2011 09:07 AM

Thanks m'dear:) First one's always a nervy thing! But it's reassuring when you hear topflight historians in your field give a paper and stumble over their words::P

Bullitt 07-10-2011 01:07 PM

First date dinner tonight. Fuuuuu.

I haven't been on one of these in a long ass time.

DanaC 07-10-2011 01:38 PM

Woot! Enjoy :)

Sundae 07-11-2011 12:17 PM

I'm going to end up having four holidays this year!
Count them - FOUR.

Already had the first - my two day trip to Glasgow with the girls last January.
2nd - my birthday present, four nights in Great Yarmouth with Mum & Dad.
3th - I'm going back to Cardiff in August (see below)
4th - Up to Glasgow again as we're catching the beginning of the season this year to avoid any illness scares.

Re Cardidd - my brother has very kindly given us a voucher for a free night in Cardiff in August. He and his wife realised they simply weren't going to make it in time. Mum has offered to pay for a second night, albeit at a cheaper hotel (£106 per room or £18 a room? Tough choice).

I'm paying my own travel, but that only comes to £6. Good old Megabus.
We both plan to be on strict diets at this point, and promise to help eachother stick to them. We might even manage it :)

Keep your fingers crossed for good weather and I'll bring back some new pics.

DanaC 07-11-2011 12:41 PM

ya found 'em then? :p

Sundae 07-11-2011 01:24 PM

Oh, yeah :blush:
Thing is, I was CONVINCED they were in a brown envelope.
So my brown-envelope-hunting frenzy was never going to get me anyway.
The white envolope was also a different size to the one I expected too.

But I was right in that I left them on the bed.
Where I don't usually leave things because Mr Nose (aka Diz) tries to file them away for me.
This time down the side of the bed.
Just didn't want me going away I guess.

monster 07-12-2011 09:27 AM

Two days and Bullit hasn't checked back in.......

Griff 07-12-2011 08:29 PM

He is busy with the intercourse.

LJ4 07-12-2011 10:09 PM

breakfast~

LJ4 07-12-2011 10:12 PM

all my colleague and my work

Bullitt 07-13-2011 12:07 AM

Went fine. There will be a second for sure. ER nurse, rides horses, tiny thing though like 5'3" and 120 soaking wet. Just makes it easier to hold her up in the air.. heh.

monster 07-13-2011 06:23 AM

Soaking wet can be a lot of fun.....

DanaC 07-13-2011 06:31 AM

Need details ...

Spexxvet 07-13-2011 08:15 AM

yahoo calendar is working again.

Going to Harvey's Lake this weekend.

infinite monkey 07-13-2011 08:16 AM

Did you forget until your calendar started working again? ;)

Spexxvet 07-13-2011 08:32 AM

No, I have 2... 2... 2 reasons to be happy.:)

classicman 07-13-2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 744458)
Need details ...

... hopefully in the NSFW thread.

infinite monkey 07-13-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 744470)
No, I have 2... 2... 2 reasons to be happy.:)

:)

Pete Zicato 07-18-2011 08:53 AM

Yesterday Zing #1 and I went to see the Harry Potter conclusion at the early show, then went for lunch. Both Zings are off to college soon, so I really appreciate these last outings.

BigV 07-18-2011 04:40 PM

Do not despair. They're not the last.

Big Sarge 07-19-2011 01:28 PM

I'm so proud of my oldest daughter. She was at a Methodist Youth Conference at Purdue last week. She donated 16 inches of hair to help make wigs for kids with cancer

Pete Zicato 07-19-2011 01:49 PM

As well you should be, Sarge. What a beautiful thing for your daughter to do.

jimhelm 07-19-2011 03:18 PM

A nice Turkey club on Rye toast.

Aliantha 07-19-2011 07:14 PM

I enjoyed sustenance in the form of a coffee this morning. I might follow it up by eating a banana next.

Pico and ME 07-20-2011 04:22 PM

A drink I made up with ingredients I have on hand.

Pineapple juice, maraschino cherry juice and vanilla flavored vodka - garnished with pineapple slices and maraschino cherries.

Its too yummy for words.

Spexxvet 07-20-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 745316)
I'm so proud of my oldest daughter. She was at a Methodist Youth Conference at Purdue last week. She donated 16 inches of hair to help make wigs for kids with cancer

I'm encouraging my son to do the same thing.

SamIam 07-20-2011 06:39 PM

I have a job interview tomorrow! It's not for the greatest job in the world, but every little bit helps. The local newspaper needs someone with a truck to deliver bundles of papers to surrounding communities. The job just might be the stepping stone I need to gain some independence. If I get the delivery job and continue on with the Bates Motel, I can start saving for a camper trailer. That would allow me to apply for jobs as a campground host with the Forest service and the National Parks. I wouldn't be dependent on the whims of congress for my housing anymore. What a relief that would be!

Ooooh, I hope that job pays enough to cover gas plus wear and tear on my truck with even just minimum wage left over. And if it does, I really hope they accept me to be their new delivery girl. Everybody keep your fingers crossed for me!

Aliantha 07-20-2011 06:50 PM

Good luck with that Sam. :) Campground host sounds like an awesome job (except when you have to tell drunk people to be quiet at 2am).

Griff 07-20-2011 06:51 PM

Good luck Sam!

I made some sawdust this evening. :)

Jaydaan 07-20-2011 07:14 PM

I came home from a long boring day at work, with very sore feet and just blah.... to a hubby who suggested we go out for dinner, and go see Harry Potter tonight. Out of the blue! As he was folding lundry!!
This comes from a guy that HATES going out for dinner. We have also seen 2 movies in the theater in the past 5 years... lol
So this tired old body is going to get changed, perk up my hair, change my $#%$@#% shoes, and go out for dinner, drinks and a movie with my husband :)

DanaC 07-20-2011 07:16 PM

Woot! Way to go Sam, good luck!

@ Jaydaan: oh what a lovely thing to come home to! Have fun!

Aliantha 07-20-2011 07:17 PM

Max and I just picked two zucchini's, a boc choy and some broccoli from our garden for dinner tonight.

infinite monkey 07-20-2011 07:51 PM

This evening I became a great aunt! Well, I've always been a great aunt but now my oldest niece and her husband had a little girl. My big brother and sis-in-law are ecstatic grandparents. Life is good! :)

Lola Bunny 07-20-2011 10:15 PM

Sam: fingers and toes crossed!

Jaydaan: That's wonderful. And to make the day end perfectly, perhaps a foot massage. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 745544)
This evening I became a great aunt! Well, I've always been a great aunt but now my oldest niece and her husband had a little girl. My big brother and sis-in-law are ecstatic grandparents. Life is good! :)

Man, you're old. :eyebrow: :lol:

infinite monkey 07-21-2011 09:35 AM

I love sharing the good times with my friends in the Cellar.

The love, the camaraderie, the all around feeling of community. It's almost enough to make one ambivalent. I think I'll stick with being a sarcastic bitch. ;)

monster 07-21-2011 11:32 AM

infi, you old fucker, get off my lawn!

infinite monkey 07-21-2011 12:35 PM

I know I'm old. Luckily I'm still so freaking gorgeous...

footfootfoot 07-21-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 745605)
I love sharing the good times with my friends in the Cellar.

The love, the camaraderie, the antibiotics, the all around feeling of community. It's almost enough to make one ambivalent. I think I'll stick with being a sarcastic bitch. ;)

footfootfoot 07-21-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 745616)
I know I'm old. Luckily I'm still so freaking gorgeous...

and it's not how you feel, but how you look...

infinite monkey 07-21-2011 02:45 PM

I feel about 25. Is that good enough?

infinite monkey 07-21-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 745630)
and it's not how you feel, but how you look, and you look mahvelous...

sexobon 07-21-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 745635)
I feel about 25. Is that good enough?

A Catherinette at heart.

SamIam 07-21-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 745536)
Good luck with that Sam. :) Campground host sounds like an awesome job (except when you have to tell drunk people to be quiet at 2am).

TY, Aliantha! And everyone else for your good wishes! I'll post how the interview went on the irritating thread. :eyebrow: