The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What is pissing you off this time? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18362)

glatt 11-25-2013 08:53 AM

How long will that oil last you (if they ever deliver it?) Will you make it through the winter on one tank?

Undertoad 11-25-2013 09:14 AM

Last winter was a three-tank winter. This year I am insulating harder, heating less, and hope to make it through on two. But this place is a sieve.

glatt 11-25-2013 09:21 AM

Our house is like that too, but with natural gas heat, it's a little cheaper. Not a bargain though.

I wonder if we'd save more money if the thermostat was coin operated. Or had one of those dollar bill feeders on it. "Got a chill in your bones? Insert $1 for the next hour of heat."

Lamplighter 11-25-2013 09:53 AM

Oregon also has this problem... and it is multiplying and multiplying and ...

Washington Post

Darryl Fears
November 24, 2013

Virginia acts to reduce population of wild pigs, the ‘most invasive animal’ in U.S.
Quote:

There’s a population explosion of large, wild animals in the Virginia woods,
and it’s not the cute, doe-eyed kind that conjures images of Bambi.

They have razor-sharp teeth, curling tusks and a nasty temper that prompts some to charge humans.
They’re called feral hogs, wild pigs or big boars, but the names are lumped together because,
said Mike Dye, a biologist for the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, “a pig is a pig.”

The animals were introduced to America centuries ago,
but the recent population boom, state game officials and biologists say,
is largely the fault of hunters who imported wild pigs to hunt year round.
The hunters either didn’t know or didn’t care that the pigs are considered
the most invasive animal in the United States
<snip>.

With no natural predator, a pig population can triple in just over a year.
To keep the population from growing, 70 percent of it has to be killed [annually], which is nearly impossible.
Virginia’s most recent estimate last year put the pig population at 2,500 to 3,000, with plenty of pairs to mate.<snip>

“As far as ecological damage, there is probably not a worse animal that’s out there,”
said Dye, regional coordinator for feral pigs in Northern Virginia.

Feral hogs date back to Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto,
who brought them to Florida as a food source in 1539.
Later, American colonists allowed some domesticated hogs to feed in the woods,
freeing many of them forever. They continue to escape from farm pens, Killmaster said.
But hunters are most responsible for Georgia’s population explosion, he said.
Echoing officials in other states, including Virginia, Killmaster said
they often free pigs to have something to shoot.

What really pisses me off is the hunters who lease land, and release hogs for hunting,
and leave a population feral hogs behind when their "lease time" is up
... or they simply move on to other things.

This may be the ONLY valid reason for a private citizen to own an AK-47 !

Undertoad 11-25-2013 02:16 PM

much better

http://cellar.org/2013/20131125oil.jpg

fargon 11-25-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 884373)

What is that?

Undertoad 11-25-2013 02:45 PM

That is the oil gauge, showing just over 3/4 full.

fargon 11-25-2013 03:27 PM

Is that good, or bad?

Nirvana 11-25-2013 03:44 PM

It pisses me off when I am at the grocery store and the check out girl hacks and coughs and snorts all over my purchases GAH!:mad:

monster 11-27-2013 10:05 PM

I'm all confused about what day it is and forgot to go to my class this morning. I did manage to mention these classes to a friend in an email and make a note to myself to put them in my diary, but I just didn't quite get that today was Wednesday. It feels like Saturday, yesterday felt like Friday....

Aliantha 11-27-2013 11:33 PM

I forgot to go to my doctor and learn how to inject myself today. They rang to ask where i was. :/

orthodoc 11-29-2013 04:33 PM

What is pissing me off today is

a $4,400 bill from WV for state tax they claim I owe for the six months BEFORE I moved there last year. We've gone back and forth twice already about this, and now they're talking liens on property. Now I find out that our tax person filed the wrong type of return last year - should have been a part-resident return instead of a resident return. I have to get an accountant immediately and file the right type of return, and I'll still be stuck for $589 in penalties and interest even though I don't actually owe the money. At a time when my husband has no income, has just been denied his private disability claim, and my salary doesn't quite cover the expenses for my apartment, let alone the house in smallville.

Grrr. :mad2:

Nirvana 11-29-2013 04:50 PM

This is the 3rd time in 2 years that I have to cancel my bankcard. I do not use it at all online and almost never anywhere else. I have only used it to make deposits in the ATM. But its seems my bank has had compromised accounts. I am not in Amsterdam!!! :eyebrow: :mad2:

Clodfobble 11-29-2013 06:31 PM

Where do you normally use it? Restaurants, grocery stores... think specifically of places you've gone to throughout the two years in question. There could be an employee regularly stealing numbers from cards they handle on the job. (They wouldn't be the ones making the charges, they would be selling your valid number to the guy in Amsterdam.) Think about any of those employees that you know you've seen more than once. You might catch a petty thief!

Bloke 11-30-2013 03:09 AM

I had this with a bank card once. It wouldn't let me withdraw cash due to an unusual spending pattern so I visited my bank to find out why. The guy I spoke to at the bank looked surprised that I'd managed to get back to England from India in under two hours...

Nirvana 11-30-2013 11:51 PM

I have never used the card in a restaurant or a retailer. I have maybe once or twice used it at a gas station maybe 2 times in the last 2 years. None recently. I use it to make cash deposits and these recent charges came before I made a deposit so I am stumped. I don't use it or that account for anything but credit card payments and they are direct bank bill pay. :eyebrow:

Aliantha 12-01-2013 12:11 AM

It could be a staff member at one of the companies you're paying to. Seriously, it is often very easy to get those types of details as an employee.

richlevy 12-01-2013 08:20 AM

Voting rights: I believe that everyone who is constitutionally allowed to vote should be able to do so with no interference. I believe that having states where in some districts the maximum wait to vote is 30 minutes and in others it is 8 hours is criminal. I believe that 'equal justice under law' extends to the voting booth.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...l?ref=politics

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/05/us...tiny.html?_r=0

Quote:

A Massachusetts Institute of Technology analysis determined that blacks and Hispanics waited nearly twice as long in line to vote on average than whites. Florida had the nation’s longest lines, at 45 minutes, followed by the District of Columbia, Maryland, South Carolina and Virginia, according to Charles Stewart III, the political science professor who conducted the analysis.

Lamplighter 12-01-2013 11:25 AM

Amen

.... especially when the differences are deliberate against certain groups

Bloke 12-01-2013 11:52 AM

Maybe I'm not getting it. Is it just a case of the more densely populated areas are having longer waits? Would increasing the number of places to vote decrease the wait times? It just seems a bit odd (having been through the system in Blighty) that there would be a problem like this.

Lamplighter 12-01-2013 01:36 PM

Ummm, Bloke... Examples are easy to come by

Given two neighboring voting districts, with equal numbers of voters.
.. one (Republican majority) has 10 voting machines
.. the other (Democratic majority) has 1 voting machine

Which has longer wait times ?

Given two gerrymandered voting districts where the Drivers License is a valid ID.
.. in one (Republican majority) suburban voters drive their cars daily
.. in the other (Democratic majority) urban voters do not have cars

Which has a more difficult time voting ?

There are many different versions of such games being played

richlevy 12-01-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloke (Post 884799)
Maybe I'm not getting it. Is it just a case of the more densely populated areas are having longer waits? Would increasing the number of places to vote decrease the wait times? It just seems a bit odd (having been through the system in Blighty) that there would be a problem like this.

There is a minimum number of machines per registered voter allowed. However, that does not take into account changes in technology. There is also the number of poll workers who take the voter's information to consider. Also, working class people who cannot take off time to work will tend to vote at the same times or on the Sunday before if early voting is allowed. Republican governors are keen to shut off early voting since conventional wisdom is that it helps the Democrats.

In the last presidential election, there were long waits in Florida and Ohio.

Bloke 12-01-2013 01:44 PM

Ah, right. I see it now. It's quite a bit different from over here.
I can see how people would get pissed at that system.

Undertoad 12-01-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 884800)
Given two gerrymandered voting districts where the Drivers License is a valid ID.
.. in one (Republican majority) suburban voters drive their cars daily
.. in the other (Democratic majority) urban voters do not have cars

Which has a more difficult time voting ?

Thinking that urban people don't have ID is now a signal to me of armchair liberalism.

Care really hard about those people. Don't have a clue how they live, what their values are, or whether they have ID or not.

Guess what. They have ID. In greater numbers than suburbanites. Don't believe me? Ask 'em. I have, over and over and over again.

The reasons why this might be true, I leave as an exercise to the reader. As a hint, answer this question: what do you think will happen to you if you walk down your local street without ID? And now, what do you think will happen to an urban dweller? How will your experience differ?

xoxoxoBruce 12-01-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 884800)
Given two neighboring voting districts, with equal numbers of voters.
.. one (Republican majority) has 10 voting machines
.. the other (Democratic majority) has 1 voting machine

Which has longer wait times ?

Well that's only right, after all the Republicans have to get back to work, while the Democrats just have to drive their Caddy full of rugrats to the liquor store to spend their food stamps. http://cellar.org/2012/bwekk.gif

Lamplighter 12-01-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

...what do you think will happen to you if you walk down your local street without ID? And now, what do you think will happen to an urban dweller? How will your experience differ?
... walk down a local street in the suburbs ?

That's a silly question ... no one walks in the pale ghetto

Big Sarge 12-01-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 884834)
Well that's only right, after all the Republicans have to get back to work, while the Democrats just have to drive their Caddy full of rugrats to the liquor store to spend their food stamps. http://cellar.org/2012/bwekk.gif

And you just might be surprised to see how often that is true in some parts of the country.

Lamplighter 12-02-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

And you just might be surprised to see how often that is true in some parts of the country.
and some just might be surprised to see how often it's not.
... at least according to the Mississippi Press

GulfLive.com

Sid Salter
11/18/13

Food stamp myths continue to cloud farm bill debate
Quote:

<snip>
The stereotypical food stamp recipient in political lore is more often than not black, female and poor.
In that scenario, the food stamp recipient is a Democratic voter who identifies politically as liberal.

But a Pew Center survey earlier this year found what they called "a bipartisan nation of beneficiaries."
The survey focused on federal entitlements including food stamps, unemployment benefits,
welfare, Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare programs.

The survey found that significant proportions of Democrats (60 percent) and Republicans (52 percent)
say they have benefited from a major entitlement program at some point in their lives.
So have nearly equal shares of self-identifying conservatives (57 percent), liberals (53 percent) and moderates (53 percent).
<snip>
Without question, Southern states with high poverty rates like Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky,
Louisiana, Mississippi and Tennessee are states where Republicans fare best in presidential politics.

There is a huge political disconnect on food stamps, particularly in states like Mississippi where food stamp dependence is highest
<snip>

xoxoxoBruce 12-02-2013 09:26 AM

Take Ron Reagan's Caddy driving welfare queen homily, add the ridiculous welfare ghetto trap, sprinkle with some racism, shaken, not stirred. Then you have the perfect ammo for the rich to convince the middle class to hate the poor.

But not for long, because the middle class is headed the way of the Dodo.
While the people fuck themselves by shopping walmart and voting corporate interests, I think most can see what's going on but figure they'll be OK, and screw everyone else. Silly bunnies.

I personally feel this explains the decrease in public support for handgun control legislation.

footfootfoot 12-02-2013 12:39 PM

pissed off that I found mouse evidence this morning. MY house had no mice, but this rental one does.

glatt 12-02-2013 01:00 PM

That time of year where they are coming inside. Or have been inside for a couple of weeks.

Good hunting.

Gravdigr 12-05-2013 04:02 PM

What is pissing you off this time?

Seeing people in the 'Thankful' thread, people who have so much, whether it was given to them, they worked for it, stole it, or fell ass-backwards into it, complaining so much about their lives, and not even noticing (seems like) how well they actually have it.

busterb 12-05-2013 08:08 PM

Wal-mart

BigV 12-05-2013 08:23 PM

the bird that shit on my head today.

orthodoc 12-05-2013 10:13 PM

Posting (a couple months ago) some pics of my oldest son achieving a significant goal only to see them completely ignored. Not pissed so much as, I don't know - wondering why no one was interested, when there's always plenty of interest in other offspring.

glatt 12-06-2013 07:38 AM

Huh. I honestly don't remember those. I wonder if I saw them and just didn't comment, or if I never saw them for some reason. Where are they?

You got a fairly large response about your daughter coming to her senses.

footfootfoot 12-06-2013 08:21 AM

Missed those pics (and most everything else lately

Griff 12-07-2013 08:53 AM

I thought I replied to that.

the next grievance...

bacefook: I could have gone on without knowing my younger cousin is a Birther.

footfootfoot 12-07-2013 06:01 PM

Me too, and I'm not even related.

orthodoc 12-08-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 885158)
Huh. I honestly don't remember those. I wonder if I saw them and just didn't comment, or if I never saw them for some reason. Where are they?

You got a fairly large response about your daughter coming to her senses.

Yes, people did respond to the update on my daughter coming to her senses.

I apologize for grumbling about the pics of my eldest son. They were the record of his second century ride within two months - but I know that no one here deliberately ignores the accomplishments of others (or their relatives). I was in a particularly low frame of mind a few nights ago as I approached a scheduled clinical follow-up with some anxiety over symptoms. I couldn't sleep and took out some of my angst on threads like this ... and I apologize. It wasn't appropriate. My son did what he did, he was pleased, I had a great time that day following all the riders, and the event was sufficient in itself.

Asking forgiveness, and I'm happy to admit that tonight, nothing is pissing me off.

glatt 12-08-2013 09:49 AM

Nothing to apologize for. We've all posted stuff before that was ignored, and it's not a good feeling. We want people to value our contributions.

So do you have lab results back from the other day? How are you doing? If you're in a better mood, hopefully that means everything is good.

xoxoxoBruce 12-08-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 885318)
...I'm happy to admit that tonight, nothing is pissing me off.

We can help with that. :lol2:

orthodoc 12-09-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 885340)

So do you have lab results back from the other day? How are you doing? If you're in a better mood, hopefully that means everything is good.

My basic lab tests were all good - bone marrow, liver, and kidneys all functioning normally, hooray! And no suspicious elevation of calcium, double hooray! I'm waiting to hear about my C15-3 cancer marker, and if they saw anything on 3D ultrasound that merits a closer look they'll call me this week. But I'm feeling good and expect it to be no news is good news.

I've reached the point where I rarely worry. The day before an appointment or test, though, in spite of knowing I'm doing fine, it's still tough.

Big Sarge 12-09-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 885318)
Yes, people did respond to the update on my daughter coming to her senses.

I apologize for grumbling about the pics of my eldest son. They were the record of his second century ride within two months - but I know that no one here deliberately ignores the accomplishments of others (or their relatives).

unfortunately, people don't post replies to pics of older children. I don't think anybody ever commented on my oldest son (age 30) unless he was shown with Addie. in fact, the last pics of Addie and Elizabeth went unnoticed for a week. sigh the older your kids get, the less noticeable they are

glatt 12-09-2013 09:41 AM

I'm glad you're doing well, Ortho.

And Sarge, I think you're probably right.

Aliantha 12-09-2013 02:30 PM

One of the cats meowing intermittantly from sparrow fart for the last three days. Sun comes up around 4am atm, so i am not impressed.

footfootfoot 12-10-2013 12:21 PM

sparrow fart?

orthodoc 12-10-2013 06:08 PM

I wondered about that, too. Is the cat in pain from having ingested sparrows?

busterb 12-10-2013 09:39 PM

Trying to drive nails, with no depth perception. Wonder my thumb doesn't look like 3foots.
Also trying to cut my candy into squares.

monster 12-10-2013 09:58 PM

Sparrow Fart = Dawn.

fargon 12-11-2013 06:25 AM

Animal abuse just pisses me off.
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/underc...ry?id=21161908

Aliantha 12-11-2013 06:50 AM

My fingertips. They are bleeding cracked and i have to do a cake tomorrow. I hope the cortizone does its magic tonight.

Undertoad 12-11-2013 08:15 AM

My total septic system failure, which causes all sewage for my house to drain into the back yard, has frozen solid in the 10F overnight temperatures and now all sewage for my house drains into my basement... again

glatt 12-11-2013 08:25 AM

I'm sorry UT.

That puts minor gripes into perspective. I know you're trying to be the model reasonable tenant, but when does it become untenable? The landlord is supposed to provide some value for what you are paying. Functioning plumbing is probably written into law, even in Pennsylvania.

Lamplighter 12-11-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

...model reasonable tenant...
No good deed goes unpunished.

Undertoad 12-11-2013 09:25 AM

Well the landlord is now on the case, and has a call in to the owner to see how they want to deal with this. They will probably have to dig the whole thing up, but I imagine they will at least want to wait until it's thawed.

http://cellar.org/2013/coldweek.jpg

The landlord thanked me for being "down to earth" about it, so there's my reward.

Lamplighter 12-11-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

The landlord thanked me for being "down to earth" about it, so there's my reward.
I was just trying to be silly...

I hope your trials and tribulations don't last long.

glatt 12-11-2013 09:45 AM

Maybe they can hook you up to the sewer system. From a landlord perspective, not having to deal with a septic system would be a big bonus. Septic systems have to be treated right, and rentals are kind of notorious for not being treated right. If I were a rental property owner, I'd pay for a sewer connection.

Gravdigr 12-11-2013 12:40 PM

Double damn, UT, sorry about your luck, dude.

That sucks.

Clodfobble 12-11-2013 12:42 PM

Make sure you take photos to document things, in case the relationship with the landlord/owner goes (even further) south. You might want evidence someday.