The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

monster 06-04-2009 10:21 PM

yeah, couldn't find the most recent. But I did go with that over the mudpack one

Aliantha 06-04-2009 10:24 PM

That was very kind of you. lol

monster 06-04-2009 10:37 PM

I have my moments

Aliantha 06-04-2009 10:39 PM

yeah me too. ;)

glatt 06-05-2009 10:53 AM

I've posted before about the kid's show "Fetch, with Ruff Ruffman" on PBS and how good it is. Well, I recently found out that a friend I had in college works for that show, and after talking with her on Facebook, she sent me a bunch of goodies from the show for my kids. Pencils, stickers, posters, trivia cards. Very cool. The best part was a personalized letter that Ruff wrote to my family. It was so good, it's on our fridge.

classicman 06-05-2009 10:56 AM

Thats grrrrrreat! glatt. Little things like that make all the difference.

Sundae 06-05-2009 11:29 AM

Lots.
And nothing (specific anyway)

Today is a good day and I'm happy.

I got some flowers from Big Sarge yesterday.
They did make me happy, but it wasn't a great day, so I didn't feel I could do justice to them here. (Thursdays are therapy days, so they're never really the highlight of my week)

I took a pic this morning, but thought I will wait until more of the flowers are open, then take another and post it. Because you won't be standing there, bewildered, as a HUGE box with your name on it arrives. And you won't be checking out the side which has the name of florists in France and the Netherlands and slowly realising someone has sent you flowers. And you won't open the box with a kitchen knife because it's on the table and you are too excited to get something more appropriate. So you might not realise how amazing they are when 50% of them are still buds. But I did, and it made me happy.

Anyway, today.
I sent my CV off for a 10 hour a week admin job.
I posted a letter.
I got confirmation that I will be starting an OT (Occupational Therapy) class next week - Pottery.
I went to 3 supermarkets to find the best (value) salad for lunch tomorrow.
I painted my toenails.
I'm cooking stirfry tonight for Mum and me.

Voila.

ZenGum 06-05-2009 06:58 PM

I am happy that Sundae is happy.

Thank you Big (-hearted) Sarge!

Big Sarge 06-07-2009 10:03 AM

Now everybody knows I have a crush on SG. LOL

DanaC 06-07-2009 10:44 AM

...yeah, cos we really hadn't noticed before :P

BigV 06-07-2009 11:33 AM

Koko Taylor is featured on KEXP.ORG!

You all can listen live, or stream the show (Preachin' the Blues) for another week. I recommend both!

Sundae 06-08-2009 05:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
As promised, here is roses pic.
Aren't they beautiful? I'm not just saying that because I got them, they really are a lovely mix of foliage and flower.

And also, blowing my own trumpet pic.
I decided to ease out of my own weight loss thread and show how well I'm doin on the board proper.

DucksNuts 06-08-2009 05:22 AM

WOW, they are beautiful Sundae!! Well done, Sarge.

Very impressive loss there babe, big dip at the end there.

capnhowdy 06-08-2009 06:47 AM

You are crushing the "competition". You go, girl!

TheMercenary 06-08-2009 07:06 AM

Wow! that is fantastic SG! Good work. :thumb:

ZenGum 06-08-2009 08:45 AM

Applause!!!

:notworthy:

glatt 06-08-2009 08:56 AM

Excellent SG!

Big Sarge 06-08-2009 10:38 AM

That is some weight loss!! I wish I could do as well as you are.

monster 06-08-2009 11:19 AM

bacon and hash browns.

what?

sweetwater 06-08-2009 01:34 PM

I have finally started the other half of my better half's Christmas present (last Christmas!). I gave him a camp stove and am painting a picture on the lid, as I promised. It feels great to hold a brush again. It has been far too long.

capnhowdy 06-08-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 571724)
bacon and hash browns.

what?

:D good one, Monnie!:D

glatt 06-09-2009 02:27 PM

Today is the Virginia Democratic primary. Finally. No more robocalls until the Fall! It's been a heated one. Every day, we got about half a dozen calls, one right after the other. This was after each of the local candidates came to our doorstep in person.

I love voting in the primaries though. Nobody does it, so my vote is actually worth something. Must be why they come to my door.

It will be nice to have the commercials off the TV, the signs down, and a quiet phone again.

capnhowdy 06-09-2009 05:29 PM

I would election time way better if it were way shorter.

Aliantha 06-09-2009 10:40 PM

My family loves me. :)

DanaC 06-11-2009 07:19 PM

I am back up to eight and a half stone (119 lbs) :) Which puts me back into the healthy BMI band (just). I was down to seven and a half stone (105 lbs) after the stress of that last semester followed by the gastroenteritis (sp?), which was ridiculous for my height.

I'm happy about this because it's been an effort to try and eat. My appetite hasn't really come back properly. It did for about three days after I stopped being ill, then it sank back down again. I've discovered though, that if I have complan( a meal drink) in the morning I am able to eat something proper by the afternoon. And if i don't manage to eat much during the day I can always have a second complan in the evening. That guarantees me between 250 and 500 calories of actual nutrition and means I am definitely getting at least 25% of all the vitamins and minerals I need.

It's working I think. I'm finding I have a proper meal at least once a day, most days now and sometimes a second light meal as well!

I'm happy about this because frankly I was looking awful. Thin may look nice in the magazines, but there's nothing sexy about a visible rib cage and hands that look like talons. Or indeed pinched and gaunt features. And skinny jeans dont look good if theyre hanging off you and have to be held up with a tight belt.

Aliantha 06-11-2009 07:22 PM

You should come to my house Dana. I'll fatten you up quick smart. ;)

Clodfobble 06-11-2009 07:28 PM

What's a complan? Is that like an Ensure drink?

DanaC 06-11-2009 07:40 PM

It's a meal drink that you have when yuo are recovering from illness, or often is used by the elderly to boost their diet

BigV 06-12-2009 12:15 AM

SonofV passed his First Class Board of Review!

I am ecstatic!

He went from IHATESCOUTS!!!! at 7 pm to I love Scouts! at 9 pm. Now we can go to Alaska this summer. We're going to hike the Chilkoot Trail. It's going to be the trip of a lifetime.

DanaC 06-12-2009 04:14 AM

Excellent news V! You must be so excited:)

classicman 06-12-2009 08:08 AM

Big congrats to both of you.

Juniper 06-12-2009 11:23 PM

Air Conditioning! :D

DanaC 06-13-2009 04:23 AM

Strawberries!

My friend Jill has been going on about some gorgeous straberries she got the other day. So much so I ended up buying a punnet....which I ate...all of it...in omne sitting.

[eta] lol oh I think I should leave the typo as is, it's kind of freudian.

xoxoxoBruce 06-13-2009 04:28 AM

punnet
noun: a small light basket used as a measure for fruits

omne
beats the shit outta me?

:lol2:

DanaC 06-13-2009 04:32 AM

Omne : om and one: a noun to describe a single sitting of nom

xoxoxoBruce 06-13-2009 04:39 AM

My god, you mean you didn't nom nom nom, but did the whole punnet in one nom? :eek:

DanaC 06-13-2009 04:44 AM

Oh! There's something else that's making me happy *does the happy, happy; joy, joy dance*

If anybody has been following the ups and downs of my final undergrad semester theymay recall I caught a 5% deduction on my dissertation and was really worried that this would drop it down from the expected 1st class mark and crash my grade average. I also got a 15% deduction on an essay but that was only worth 20% of a 2 semester module's overall mark, where the dissertation is worth 100% of a two semester module's overall mark. 5% deduction on this could be criticial to my final degree class.

So...the happy bit is: my tutor emailed me last week to apologise that my feedback sheet couldnt be emailed as she'd done it separately from the others, by hand (mine was on extensed deadline) but that it was a 'comfortable first' and that she'd written to the head of school and exam board to see if anything cuold be done about the 5% deduction (which she thought was a little unfair). I'm not going to put too much hope in that part of it, because you never know how inflexible the system might be; but I emailed her back to ask if it would stil be a 1st with the deduction...I got an automated on holiday reply and have been waiting all week for her to get back lol

She emailed me yesterday: with this:

"Yes, definately!"

*grins* I am soooo happy. That means before the deduction it must have been a mid or high 1st. Getting a high 1st in a history dissertation at Leeds is not easy, it's a few percent at the top. To get a high 1st means original ideas. I think I may have pulled off my slightly bold new theoretical construct. Even if it's a mid 1st that's still good. Most don't get a 1st at all. I think maybe 15 or 20 %? Not sure of exact figures. But her emphatic reply I think means it was High 1st.

xoxoxoBruce 06-13-2009 04:49 AM

Enjoy your well earned happy dance. :D

DanaC 06-13-2009 04:51 AM

*grins* oh I am. That's what gets looked at in a history degree, if you're wanting to progress through the next levels. First they look at overall mark; then they want to know about the dissertation. That's what says what kind of historian you have become.

limey 06-13-2009 04:54 AM

Oh Dana! Well done! Congratulations!

ZenGum 06-13-2009 04:54 AM

:jig:

Hive five Dana, that is awesome.

DanaC 06-13-2009 04:56 AM

Thanks! :) There's still a couple of bullets to dodge (exam results and that module with the nerfed essay mark)that still could mess with the final degree mark; but at a personal level this was big deal, in terms of proving something to myself (and the academics I'm trying to impress :P

Juniper 06-13-2009 10:37 AM

Eeeeexcellent!

skysidhe 06-13-2009 10:48 AM

woohoo dana...good for you! you original thinker you

What will you do next with your degree and esp a high 1% except for the obvious distinction?

There is so much a History degree can work into. What are your plans? ( that is if you even want to say at this point )

Shawnee123 06-13-2009 01:07 PM

When is your graduation Dana? I think you said but I'm too lazy to look. We want pictures.

Congrats!

My first graduation at my new job was last night. It's way huger than than the old place. An entirely different atmosphere. I was giggling with my cow orkers. It was fun, but not as meaningful as the old ones where I knew a great number of the students personally. Those could make me emotional. This one was nice...but different.

Must have been a long week: I slept until 1:30. Few things make me happier than waking up and looking at the clock and realizing I can sleep more.

Trilby 06-13-2009 01:32 PM

way to go, Dana! happy for you! :)

a posey :flower: for ya!

Crimson Ghost 06-13-2009 06:06 PM

Good going, Dana.

Undertoad 06-13-2009 09:51 PM

History is one of the very best things to know.

capnhowdy 06-14-2009 06:47 AM

Especially if we can learn from it.

SteveDallas 06-14-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capnhowdy (Post 573993)
Especially if we can learn from it.

That's a great idea... I'd never heard that before.

capnhowdy 06-14-2009 02:27 PM

Yep. Chalk me up for another dumbass post.

BigV 06-15-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 574067)
That's a great idea... I'd never heard that before.

You needn't worry about that.

You'll be hearing it again someday.

Queen of the Ryche 06-15-2009 11:42 AM

We knew you had it in you, even if you didn't Dana! We are witness to your brilliance on a daily basis - CONGRATS!!! (On the weight gain too - been there done that, and a lot of people don't realize for some people gaining is harding than losing....woot!)

And enjoy Alaska, V! Pics upon return, or it didn't happen.

BigV 06-15-2009 01:17 PM

*snort*

I can't believe you challenged me to take pictures of my camping trip. OF COURSE there will be pictures. I am guilty of not sharing/inflicting them on the general population though. I can see how you might imagine that I hike without a photojournalistic care in the world.

Queen of the Ryche 06-15-2009 01:46 PM

Wel I didn't see a camera in the FAWET lists...

Sundae 06-16-2009 08:13 AM

Diz caught a bird!
I am so proud of him.
He's a proper grown-up cat now.

I was downstairs watching TV as the 'rents were out and I could indulge in reality shows.
Diz was in the garden.
Then I heard him do one of his mad-cat-scramble runs up the stairs. All normal for the Diz Olney household.
Or so I thought...
A few minutes later he was still crashing, banging and walloping upstairs.
Now this is not normal - usually he only does that when he is shut in.
It did cross my mind that he might have a guest, but not with any conviction.

But when I went upstairs, there he was.
Hunched over with a young starling in his mouth.
He was very good, and opened up for me pretty quickly.
Clarisse got entangled in the net curtain, and I had to free her with one hand while opening the window and holding Diz. But he was quite happy to watch this new development, only scrambling down when she was finally perched on the sill. He sent her on her way with a farewell pat.

No blood and only one or two feathers were shed.
And he walked around waowing for a while to prove how important he was (he got some of Dad's special deli ham too)
He does keep salinking into the bedroom in case she's come back, but that's typical Diz behaviour (see previous post about Diz and the spider dispensing door).

I know I am not supposed to be proud of something I had no hand in.
But soddit.
He's my clever boy. And those naughty birdies better watch out.

TheMercenary 06-16-2009 10:56 AM

Happy today and yesterday. My wife surprised me with a brand new 2009 Harley Davidson Classic Road King in a rare color. Still a little shocked at how she pulled it off. It was for our 25 Wedding Aniv (Aug 09), my BD (July 09), and Fathers Day. What a woman. :thumb:

Sundae 06-16-2009 10:58 AM

Crikey me, Merc
I should think you're pleased!

Pics please

TheMercenary 06-16-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 574610)
Crikey me, Merc
I should think you're pleased!

Pics please

I will when I get it. Can't pick it up til next week.

Queen of the Ryche 06-16-2009 11:40 AM

What color Merc? Is it a man mobile, or did she get the comfy seat on the back to accompany you?