The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Chocolatl 07-26-2008 09:58 AM

Got up early and did 14+ miles on the bike this morning. Woohoo! I also saw a mama turkey and a chick while I was on the trail. A nice way to start the weekend.

DanaC 07-26-2008 10:05 AM

Cool start to the weekend Choco:)

I got an email yesterday notifying me that my new computer will arrive with me on the 28th:) Yey! I am very excited about this.

Also, have discovered huge back catalogue of classic Doctor Who dvds in my local library. Yey again! Caves of Andozani here I come:)

DanaC 07-27-2008 03:18 PM

Oh joy! My Doctor Who audio play (cd) arrived this morning. Bought off Ebay. That and I am generally feeling pretty groovy today. Just woke up with the sun on my shoulder today:)

Clodfobble 07-27-2008 03:43 PM

We made new friends today.

Shut up, maybe it's super-easy for the rest of you, but I have lived my life being torn in two directions--the extrovert's desperate social needs, paired with the introvert's inability to step up and introduce myself. I've always relied on having one best friend who is a social butterfly and makes all my arrangements and introductions for me. But now my best friend has four kids, I have between two and four depending on the day, and we live 30 miles apart.

I have lived in my house for over a year, and I know no one in the neighborhood. I have met the people in the houses on either side of mine twice each, and I couldn't tell you their names, nor could I be certain to recognize them away from their house. But today we met a couple who live maybe a half-mile from us--he's a sysadmin like Mr. Clod, and she glazes over when her husband talks shop like I do. :) And she's pregnant with a little girl due in September, just 5 months younger than my baby girl. She mentioned future play-dates for the kids, and I managed to enthusiastically affirm rather than finding my throat glued shut (thus convincing her I must hate her, and even if she weren't convinced, I'd be so terrified that she were that I'd never speak to her again.)

So anyway, that's what's making me happy today.

xoxoxoBruce 07-27-2008 08:12 PM

When she calves take her a casserole, then wait awhile, and retrieve your dish. That gives you two shots at hooking up. ;)

Cicero 07-27-2008 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 471779)
We made new friends today.

Shut up, maybe it's super-easy for the rest of you, but I have lived my life being torn in two directions--the extrovert's desperate social needs, paired with the introvert's inability to step up and introduce myself.

:D
A new friend is always a good thing. I don't have any friends whithin a half mile. It's a big deal to me too. All my friends right now live a long way away. In fact, I was just bitching about this to my notebook. It's easy for me to talk to anyone. I just don't have any friends.

morethanpretty 07-27-2008 09:40 PM

A guy I like called me super intelligent, amazing, underestimated by myself, and said I make him a happier person! Yea! I usually distrust compliments but I'll happily accept his with a blush. He's very good at making me blush. Oh and said I'm cute :p.

jinx 07-27-2008 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jimmies

lumberjim 07-27-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morethanpretty (Post 471818)
A guy I like called me super intelligent, amazing, underestimated by myself, and said I make him a happier person! Yea! I usually distrust compliments but I'll happily accept his with a blush. He's very good at making me blush. Oh and said I'm cute :p.

kiss him! grab his tits!

monster 07-27-2008 10:24 PM

Was Friday actually. Taken me this long.....

On Monday, swim/dive championsips started. 13 and ups started warm up at 8, meet starts at 9. 8and under dive is in the afternoon. I'm cool, my kids are 10 and younger, I just have to deal with dive, but the eldest wants to go and support the big kids at their meet, so I'm awake before 7. she's getting a ride, tg -the pool is half an hour away.

just out of the shower and brushing teeth at 8:30, phone rings.
We didn't bring the results from the last dual meet. Can you bring them?
Um, no, I gave them to you.
I forgot them. They won't let us swim.
There's a copy in the pool house
Can you bring them?
I guess so, but they boys have to get to practice...
They won't let us swim otherwise...
OK

So I make babysiiting arrangements for they boys (TG for banana-lady aka MIL) and dashover to the pool. Is too early for anyone else, but I have a key. I unlock the door. But the damn thing won't open. it's so hot, the new paint is sticking badly and I can't pry the doors apart. It's a neighborhood pool, so I go up the road and knock on all the doors of people who have swim team kids. nothing. go back to pool. The mom I hate most in the world turns up way too early for practice. We still can't do it. We get a crowbar from the tool shed. While she's working out the best way to whack me with the crow bar, I manage to prise the doors apart and runin, grab the results and head off for the pool.

I arrive 10 minutes after the start of the meet, but 5 minutes before our first swimmers are due on deck. I have to park far away and sprint across the parking lot and through the school. They allow us to swim. They say thanks, I cool down (took a while, on-deck temps were 120ish) and head home

Now, I ain't shy here, but I have my moments in real life. I despise unexpected spotlights and mushy shit. But I felt safe at awards night. Mostly because the gits got me last year with the "Woody Ziegler Swimmer of the Year Award" -the only one adults get and never given two years in a row. But this year the evil sods did a one off "Winged Deliverer" award - a golden angel on a plinth. I coulda killed them. But they fessed up they only did it cause they knew how embarrassed i'd be and thought it would be funny and -now I've got over it- I have to agree it was. andI'm flattered that they did it because at the time i was pissed that they seem to think I had a duty to deliver the damn results. So, in hindsight, It's making me happy. I feel appreciated and loved. If they just wanted to appreciate me, they could have given money, but they made the effiort to embarrass me ;)

skysidhe 07-28-2008 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 471779)
I've always relied on having one best friend who is a social butterfly and makes all my arrangements and introductions for me. .

Yeah that used to be my trick too.

I am happy for you clod ..for being brave.

Tink 07-28-2008 11:58 AM

Peace and quiet for an entire week! Hall- F*%cking- lujah! No lectures for one whole week!

Griff 07-28-2008 01:15 PM

Loooooooooooong weekend of travel is over! Now I can focus on my house projects for a bit.

Happy stuff from this weekend: Friday, Lil' Pete got the girls 2nd place at the Penn State fencing camp and some really nice words from a coach there we have big respect for. Saturday she got the womens bronze and 8th overall in the Keystone Games Open Foil. Sunday she fenced the junior foil event getting the Jr. Womens Gold and overall bronze. She finished above the young lady who got the previous days gold, but they never got to fence due to the vagaries of a combined event. She fenced two brilliant bouts on Sunday which I may upload at some point so I'll hold off on describing what went down...

lookout123 07-28-2008 11:28 PM

I started the day by being pulled from work to retrieve Mrs L who found a flat tire upon coming out of the gym. It turns out the tire was irreparable and the other 3 would need to be replaced soon. As I thought about it and did the math of the impending maintenance needs quickly approaching and the price of gas... I decided a new vehicle was in order. So I filled the flat tire up and went to the dealership.

After carefully considering all of TW's wisdom I purchased a little Ford Focus. It's cheap, it's new, and it gets double the gas mileage of the truck I got rid of. Mrs L will drive my FJ so it will get fewer miles and I'll have the little runner.

Kind of a fun day.

HungLikeJesus 07-28-2008 11:39 PM

Most excellent, lookout.

I recently bought a Wacom Bamboo Fun digitizer tablet and I'm hand-writing this post.

It's a bit of a slow process, but I'm getting better.