The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

footfootfoot 03-20-2011 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 717589)
I was watering the Spargoose bed this afternoon , and Look what I saw ,

Then another , and another , and another , and WOW They are Sproutn All Over the Place !!!

:(

Here's my Aspararagus:

monster 03-20-2011 04:37 PM

Hebe got 1st place in the 100Y breaststroke at tri-county championships. Seems once she found her killer instinct it was hard to lose -and she did it from sixth seed, lane 7. This is a hat-trick of breaststroke firsts in multi-team meets after her very first one just three weeks ago. I am a proud and happy mama. She dropped time and placed onher two other individual races too.

DanaC 03-20-2011 05:39 PM

Waved Sundae off at the station bout 90 mins ago. We had such fun! Lots of laughter.

Oh, and walking around central London is an entirely different experience when you aren't on your own, and when the person with you knows their way around! Awesome. Kicked around Covent Garden for a bit, taking in the sights (and buying a ridiculously expensive bathrobe from the Covent Garden Bathrobe Company...oh gods but it's beautiful.)

Sundae knew a really lovely Belgian restaurant, so we had our dinner there. I'd never have even noticed it if I'd walked past, what a hidden treasure. Really nice, low-key, chilled atmosphere. Really unusual interior desiign. And prices that wouldn't be out of place in a Halifax pub/restaurant.

I was so glad to have her company for the weekend. Made this a fun trip, rather than just a work trip. Bless her she even watched a Being Human episode with me. Even though it really isn't her thing :p I probably shouldn't inflict my obsessions on my friends, but I just have to....it's a sickness :p

Good fun, great company, and the sights of the city. Yey.

zippyt 03-20-2011 06:23 PM

Someone told me once that asparagus takes three years before it actually produces an above-the-surface plant. Is that even remotely true?

From what I have seen , read and heard that is true , also if you take Care of the plant ( Dont Over harvest , Let it do its thing Mostly , Cover it in Mulch in the winter , etc,,,) each Plant can Last up to 10 years .
We started from seeds a few years Back , Have a dedicated Bed Just for the Sparagooes , and Hope fully ( under the dirt ) it is Just a Big ole WAD of Sparagoose Plants that will keep comeing back year after year !!!!

zippyt 03-20-2011 06:24 PM

Rock on HEBE !!!

monster 03-20-2011 06:42 PM

I just got some sparrowguts plants for the first time. They will be Hebe's project, along with the strawberries.

zippyt 03-20-2011 07:30 PM

Clodfobble 03-22-2011 12:50 PM

My brother rocking out on a mandolin (maybe?) at SXSW. Unlike some of his other music, I can dig this one. :)

footfootfoot 03-22-2011 12:58 PM

that's a mighty banjo-looking mandolin.

Clodfobble 03-22-2011 01:47 PM

But it's only got 4 strings--I thought banjos had, like, 12? Maybe he restrung it. Hipsters do things like that.

Pete Zicato 03-22-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 717996)
But it's only got 4 strings--I thought banjos had, like, 12? Maybe he restrung it. Hipsters do things like that.

No. Seems to be a matter of choice. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banjo

Most I've seen have been called five string, but are really four and a half. :D

Clodfobble 03-22-2011 05:51 PM

Yes, my mom corrected me when I mentioned it in a later email--apparently a standard banjo is 5 strings, but the 5th is too short to reach the other tuning pegs, so it gets an extra little peg halfway up the fretboard. Some have double the number of strings, but it's just repeats of all the existing strings, I guess so you can play extra notes in one strum and thus play faster.

I'm pretty sure they're the only Banjo/Trumpet/Xylophone/Bass/Drum band out there.

footfootfoot 03-22-2011 06:05 PM

Cool video, where was the venue? Looked fun.

Clodfobble 03-22-2011 06:15 PM

It's a small bar/patio called Shakespeare's. They don't always have live music, but during SXSW, everywhere has live music, almost 24 hours a day, just so bands can say they "played at SXSW."

footfootfoot 03-22-2011 06:16 PM

Did you shoot it?

Clodfobble 03-22-2011 06:28 PM

No, I wasn't even there. I have to rely on video links because going downtown right in the middle of dinner/bedtime is not usually feasible. I keep telling him that as soon as his band gets big enough to play after 8PM, I will be there. :)

Spexxvet 03-23-2011 09:57 AM

My forsythia is blooming.:D

HungLikeJesus 03-23-2011 10:08 AM

See a doctor and get rid of it

SamIam 03-23-2011 01:16 PM

I have to pay an old fine to get my driver's licence re-instated. I haven't bothered with it until now, since I haven't had a car in two years. But now that I will be buying a vehicle soon, I figured I'd better pay the fine and become a legal driver again. I figured that I would have to pay around $300.00. After fighting with various court systems for 3 days, I finally got an answer as to what the fine was and where to send the cash. It's only $30.00! I still have to pay a re-instatement fee of $95.00, but $95 plus $30 sure beats $95 plus $300! :jig:

Flint 03-23-2011 01:40 PM

Not the kind of thing I expected to see here, but glad to see you're finding the positive!

Sundae 03-23-2011 03:08 PM

Congrats Sam.
It's almost like a windfall when a debt is lower than expected. I know.

Today I am happy because of school.
I was the only LTA working this morning (the other two were on a course) but I managed to get 30 Krispie Cakes made in an hour. That's 4 x 15 minute sessions which include calling the children to the sinks, having them wash up and put on aprons, a quick chat about the difference between putting a piece of chocolate on Liam's head, and pouring melted chocolate on it (this was science after all) and getting them to fill their own labelled cupcake-case. I won't deny there were times when I thought I couldn't do it. But I prevailed.

Also I still managed to get a 20 min session with Tiger, when the others were all on the carpet doing phonics. I took him outside as the day was so mild and it's his favourite place to be. It also meant no distraction from the others, although he has improved so much in this aspect. We were working on above and beneath just using a whiteboard and pen, and he drew an amazing picture of the two flashing rubbery "animals" we throw to eachother to say hello at the start of each session. He included so many details. Usually his drawing is.... haphazard?..erratic? It doesn't seem to interest him. Drawing Squidapod and Mrs Hedgehog he seemed really focused. I wonder if it's an imagination thing. I will experiment further with drawing from pictures and/ or real objects and see if it brings more form to his work.

Anyway, it is more to put in his progress folder. And that makes me happy.
And he walked away happy because he got to blow bubbles outside. And they go much further and he can leap about more that way :)

classicman 03-23-2011 10:14 PM

I got to meet Wolf in November 2010. She helped me out in a very troubling situation.
Wolf was/is one of the sweetest, kindest, most considerate people I've had the pleasure of meeting.
I've been meaning to thank her for her generosity in some way ever since.
I got the chance to do so in a very small way today. Hope you like it Wolf!

THANK YOU :hug:

monster 03-23-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 718255)
I got to meet Wolf in November 2010. She helped me out in a very troubling situation.
Wolf was/is one of the sweetest, kindest, most considerate people I've had the pleasure of meeting.
I've been meaning to thank her for her generosity in some way ever since.
I got the chance to do so in a very small way today. Hope you like it Wolf!

THANK YOU :hug:

You sent her the woman with demons in her basement? :eek:

plthijinx 03-24-2011 12:01 AM

ok so this is a few days late but i met up with tulip last friday and had a wonderful lunch. she surprised me with a bottle of my fav cologne. i had mentioned to her on the phone that i wanted to get another bottle but that it was way low on my priority list. meeting her then her doing that? wow. just wow. she put a wonderful smile on my face that day. thank you tulip.

footfootfoot 03-24-2011 12:09 AM

:thumbsup:

Tulip 03-24-2011 12:22 AM

Glad I made you smile. :) Btw, you do have a wonderful smile indeed. ;)

plthijinx 03-24-2011 12:24 AM

next time i will take you to taste of texas beats the spaghetti warehouse!!

Clodfobble 03-24-2011 02:03 PM

I had my 16th birthday party at a Spaghetti Warehouse! That place is awesome.

Tulip 03-25-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plthijinx (Post 718292)
next time i will take you to taste of texas beats the spaghetti warehouse!!

Ha! I'm gonna take you up on that offer so you better not regret it! :D

Tulip 03-25-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 718429)
I had my 16th birthday party at a Spaghetti Warehouse! That place is awesome.

You ate there when you were 16? Is the restaurant still around? :p: I like their spumoni, but certain locations have a more liquor taste...me likey better.

Clodfobble 03-25-2011 03:10 PM

Yep, it's still there in downtown Austin. I don't know about the Houston location(s,) but the one in Austin has an old-school train car inside the restaurant. I can't remember anything about the food though, haven't been there since.

glatt 03-26-2011 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After a morning of cleaning up files and backing shit up. My home PC is working well again. I think I can put off buying a new one for at least another year. May need to buy a bigger external hard drive before then though.

HungLikeJesus 03-26-2011 02:32 PM

Did you delete your old restore points? Those usually take up a lot of space.

glatt 03-26-2011 03:02 PM

no. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the tip.

HungLikeJesus 03-26-2011 03:12 PM

You can do that from the Disk Clean up menu.

Sundae 03-28-2011 01:09 PM

A local pub is advertising for staff.

Doesn't sound as if the hours will suit me - well, I mean they are not possible with my current job - but she suggested I came to get an application form anyway.
If they were swamped with applicants she's have brushed me off, so perhaps they are having trouble filling other shifts as well. I said I could work weekends/ evenings/ weekends and that's often good news.

So I'll pop down their tomorrow with my experience and who knows. Might end up with a little more money in my pocket.

monster 03-28-2011 01:10 PM

Is it really a good idea to work in a pub?

Sundae 03-28-2011 01:11 PM

It's a proper chain place - a family eating pub.
Every single measure of alcohol is calculated and audited, even down to what is in the drip trays vs sold beer.
Most of their income is from food.

It shouldn't be any different than working in Deep Pan really.
I have been looking for other work, this is the first I've found which is even close to viable.
I'll keep looking though - what I want ideally is a weekend retail job.

The website

monster 03-28-2011 01:15 PM

I didn't mean I thought you'd steal drinks! I meant wouldn't you find it hard, surrounded by something you enjoy but can't have?

Sundae 03-28-2011 01:17 PM

No, I didn't take it that way :)
I meant it is not a convivial atmosphere for staff drinking.

You do your job, you clean up, you go home.
Not like a freehouse where locals stand you drinks and you hang about after hours for a lock in.
I'll just be envying all the perfect little nuclear families that can afford to eat out if anything. Will try not to stab anyone with a fork though.

monster 03-28-2011 01:19 PM

Also, check it won't be frowned on by the schools -I know they're worse about it here than there, but teachers have been fired for posting pics of them drinking on facebook....

monster 03-28-2011 01:20 PM

I'm a right unPollyAnna today, aren't I?

infinite monkey 03-28-2011 01:25 PM

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm y'are. ;)

(which is the polly calling the kettle rebecca!)

footfootfoot 03-28-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 719092)
I didn't mean I thought you'd steal drinks! I meant wouldn't you find it hard, surrounded by something you enjoy but can't have?

Part Scottish and part Irish?

Sundae 03-28-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 719095)
Also, check it won't be frowned on by the schools -I know they're worse about it here than there, but teachers have been fired for posting pics of them drinking on facebook....

One of the LSAs in the year above works in a town centre pub. This school at least is okay with it.

plthijinx 03-28-2011 05:32 PM

i say go for it SG. paraphrasing monie though, weigh out the pro's and con's.

infinite monkey 03-29-2011 07:58 AM

For the life of me I couldn't remember what I'd done with my crockpot. I was sure HG had used it and left it somewhere.

Welllll, no...I used it and left it somewhere. I was talking to my friend who I used to work with, and she was telling me a friend of hers who I met at an OSU football party at her house...year before this last season, was stationed in Iraq (really cool girl, btw, I only met her the one time but we hit it off like old friends) but is home for a while and she's going to visit her, and my friend writes BTW I still have your crockpot. :lol:

Crockpots, pens, and lighters...they migrate.

jimhelm 03-29-2011 08:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Today getting into my new demo made me happy.

It's tiny and cute, and handles great, and it's quick! Nissan Juke. AWD, turbo, and 29mpgs! win win win.

footfootfoot 03-29-2011 08:11 AM

does it come with a crockpot?

infinite monkey 03-29-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 719272)
does it come with a crockpot?

It should!

That is an awesome looking car.

glatt 03-29-2011 08:24 AM

I'm out of touch with car styles today. A new car hasn't turned my head in at least a decade.

plthijinx 03-29-2011 03:28 PM

gonna have the house to myself for 10 days!!!!!! wooooooohooooooo!!!!!!

Sundae 03-29-2011 03:50 PM

Oh Plt, I envy that.
I'll have the house to myself halfway through next month. A welcome relief!

Today I am happy because Tiger was crying.
How awful of me.

Full story.
He came to me saying an older boy had told him off.
I sorted it - with explanations both side.
To the older boy, a reminder that this was only a five year old and he should remember they are easily upset (he's a nice lad and was horrified & baffled he'd made Tiger cry). To Tiger a gentle talk that in football, especially with older boys, they don't mean to upset you, they are just excited. Sometimes they shout but if he is confused he can always come to me.

I'm not Tiger Right Or Wrong. I will bring this up again tomorrow as a semi-social story.
All the littlies will be told to keep out of the way at some point in the 20-odd aside football matches.

I'm just really pleased he came to me.
He recognises me as the person he works with and someone who will help him.
FTR I watch him every lunchtime, but without being a complete shadow I have to rely on his input too.

AND he sat on my lap about 15 mins after the incident.
I was sat cross legged on the field and he simply deposited himself.
Many children do this - I move them on after a couple of minutes. This is the first time he has done so. I'm not bigging up physical connection (that would be weird). I'm just happy about it as a show of trust.

plthijinx 03-29-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulip (Post 718654)
You ate there when you were 16? Is the restaurant still around? :p: I like their spumoni, but certain locations have a more liquor taste...me likey better.

boy i've been busy working. a lot to catch up on here. yeah, the original houston location downtown is still there. as for the one on 59? i dunno...

limey 03-29-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 719436)
... I'm just happy about it as a show of trust.

It sounds like you're doing a great job, SG. WTG!!!

infinite monkey 03-29-2011 06:27 PM

That is really great SG. :)

plthijinx 03-29-2011 06:46 PM

SG posted earlier comment from phone and didn't read your post. how rude of me. way to go hun! sounds like you handled it perfectly! :thumb:

err correction, i just didn't read. (hey i admit when i'm wrong! lmao!)

plthijinx 03-29-2011 06:51 PM

oh and NOW it's official! i have the house to myself for 10 days! gonna throw an old fashion roman orgy! who wants to cum? magna! togas are required.

monster 03-30-2011 08:29 AM

PASSPORTS! arrived. The hockey weekend in Canada may commence.

glatt 03-30-2011 08:30 AM

About fucking time! Awesome news though.