The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Pie 03-29-2009 08:53 PM

We met two more of our neighbors. One older man, living alone, and a couple with two kids (in local colleges). The all seem like nice people.

Clodfobble 03-29-2009 11:55 PM

Mr. Clod installed the new sink in the guest bathroom! This one is smaller and more compact, which is important in such a tiny corner bathroom, but it also does not have ugly decorative pointy bits all around the bowl's edge right at the perfect height to impale a toddler's head. And he has already removed a third of the wallpaper too.

DanaC 03-30-2009 05:59 AM

Finished watching series 3 Dexter last night. Bloody hell what a good story. That's the way to do tv series. In a big block across a couple of weeks.

It's a little thing but it makes me happy lol.

Undertoad 03-30-2009 10:50 AM

Telephone interview tomorrow for a sysadmin position.

It doesn't pay like my old job did, and it's an hour's drive away in Bucks County (and I hate long commutes). I'd have to get the shocks done on the Cellar Car -- but at least there's a Cellar Car to get me there!

Shawnee123 03-30-2009 10:52 AM

Good luck UT!

I'm happy because I'm leaving an hour early today. Yes, a mere extra hour of free time makes me very happy. ;)

Shawnee123 03-30-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 550986)
Finished watching series 3 Dexter last night. Bloody hell what a good story. That's the way to do tv series. In a big block across a couple of weeks.

It's a little thing but it makes me happy lol.

I need to watch that show. I loved Michael C Hall in 6FU. I was thinking I saw an episode of it some time ago, but I don't have Showtime so I wondered how: then I saw on wikipedia that an edited version of the series began airing on CBS on February 17, 2008 to make up for the shortage of new content caused by the 2007-08 Writers Guild of America strike

I'll have to look for it on DVD.

DanaC 03-30-2009 11:03 AM

Oh, don't get the edited version. Really, really. You want to see it in it's full form.

And it needs watching from the start. Not that someone couldn't get into it off the back of a random episode, but it would lose a lot of its depth and subtlety.

Shawnee123 03-30-2009 11:06 AM

Yeah, that's what I figured too. I could get a season at a time, or however it's sold. I just bet I'm going to love it.

Ibby 03-30-2009 12:14 PM

New MacBook today - birthday present!
Whoo!

Ibby 03-30-2009 12:17 PM

And dana:
OMGYES. I absolutely ADORE Dex.
About her repeatedly dying lemon tree: "I just.. kill things!"
Dex: "That must be terrible."

I just love the deadpan irony of Dex's character, the beautiful blend of comedy and drama, the right blend of sex, violence, and the cleaner stuff... its just a really brilliant show. One of the best around.

dar512 03-30-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 551129)
New MacBook today - birthday present!
Whoo!

Nice. Which one?

Ibby 03-30-2009 02:53 PM

13-inch backlit-keyboard MacBook, 4gigs of memory, upgraded processor and hd, with parallels XP.

ZenGum 03-30-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 551093)
Telephone interview tomorrow for a sysadmin position.

It doesn't pay like my old job did, and it's an hour's drive away in Bucks County (and I hate long commutes). I'd have to get the shocks done on the Cellar Car -- but at least there's a Cellar Car to get me there!

Fingers crossed good vibes positive visualisation focused manifestation really really want this to happen.....

DanaC 03-30-2009 05:58 PM

Ooo! Good luck Tony!

Tiki 03-30-2009 06:13 PM

I have a crush on a friend.

It makes me happy because it means my banged-up heart is finally healing enough for me to feel something for someone new... even if it's a very safe someone new and it won't go anywhere. :)

Ibby 03-31-2009 12:50 PM

got accepted to EMERSON COLLEGE, and as a theatre arts non-performing focus major too. WOOHOO!

ps. tiki, that quote is on my facebook quotes too. LOVE it.

sweetwater 03-31-2009 01:15 PM

The weather has warmed up enough that the water snakes* are out. I took photos of a largish one yesterday, then last night was given a new camera (Canon Rebel) to practice with before our trip to Paris, FR in May.
*mostly harmless, but all fascinate me when I see them swimming.

Tiki 03-31-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 551583)
got accepted to EMERSON COLLEGE, and as a theatre arts non-performing focus major too. WOOHOO!

ps. tiki, that quote is on my facebook quotes too. LOVE it.

Congratulations! That's awesome!

I LOLed hard when I saw the quote, and then I even had to look it up again and read it to a couple of friends, who also found it quite pleasing. :)

TheMercenary 03-31-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetwater (Post 551597)
The weather has warmed up enough that the water snakes* are out. I took photos of a largish one yesterday, then last night was given a new camera (Canon Rebel) to practice with before our trip to Paris, FR in May.
*mostly harmless, but all fascinate me when I see them swimming.

Post a pic in the pic thread. I love the wild snakes around my place. Even the nasty ones.

SteveDallas 03-31-2009 09:10 PM

I had my "last" filling this morning. I have now atoned in full for a dozen-odd years of dental hygiene neglect.

Now I don't have to see the dentist again for another 12 years . . . .

glatt 04-01-2009 09:05 AM

Holy crap. A vendor just stopped by with 22 boxes of Girl Scout cookies. That's a lot of cookies. I'll probably keep a couple for myself and then hand the rest out around the department, but the logistics of passing these out are a little bit of a hassle now.

Shawnee123 04-01-2009 09:07 AM

I got out of my old job in time. I keep hearing from old friends about the goings-on at my old job. That place has become the first stop for Armageddon. I mean, I can't divulge what's going on but every week there's a new WTF coming down the pike.

So, even with the things I'm having trouble adjusting to here, I am so glad and lucky I got out when I did.

I still thank my Cellar friends for giving me the confidence to make that very difficult move.

Shawnee123 04-03-2009 11:38 AM

Today: Friends who reach out to me, knowing me well enough to know it will help, and understanding me well enough to know that showing they care is really all I need.

I'm so very grateful for them.

Tiki 04-03-2009 11:42 AM

My bookkeeper just brought back my books for 2009, finished, with a handy-dandy form for filling out my tax forms. :)

Now all I have to do is add up my medical expenses and I'm ready to file my taxes, yay!

Pie 04-03-2009 01:11 PM

Shamelessly stolen from The Blue:
Quote:

The Iowa Supreme Court has just unanimously declared the state's ban on gay marriage to be unconstitutional. "The decision strikes the language from Iowa Code section 595.2 limiting civil marriage to a man and a woman. It further directs that the remaining statutory language be interpreted and applied in a manner allowing gay and lesbian people full access to the institution of civil marriage." (full summary PDF) The ruling effectively legalizes same-sex marriage in the state of Iowa.

...And in the comments:
Temporary, maybe. But in order to amend the Iowa constitution, the amendment needs to be passed by the Iowa house and senate twice in two consecutive sessions. Then it goes to a referendum. This isn't California. And apparently they're not even going to have a vote this session at all.

So the earliest people would even be able to vote on an amendment is probably 2012, at which point people would be less likely to vote for an amendment to ban gay marriage.

Oh and I should add that the Iowa house and senate are dem controlled.

Go Hawkeyes!

classicman 04-03-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

So the earliest people would even be able to vote on an amendment is probably 2012, at which point people would be less likely to vote for an amendment to ban gay marriage.
I read that twice and totally disagreed - Can't these people write clearer? Isn't that like all they do? Its another version of the double negative.

Oh and what Pie said.

Pie 04-03-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 552628)
Can't these people write clearer? Isn't that like all they do?

It was some random dude commenting on the thread. Not the reporter.

BigV 04-05-2009 02:15 AM

I am done sewing for the night.

That makes me happy.

Good night.

DucksNuts 04-05-2009 05:26 AM

Over the last 2 days I installed (on my ownsome) a 6'2" set of double gates at the end of the carport.

This will stop my bitch of a neighbour complaining about Clyde being out (when someone opens the front gate) and provide some additional security.

Only have a 4yr old and 6yr old as helpers, I have learnt to use props quite successfully.

Yay Me!! but owwwwww my aching shoulders from crowbarring.

DanaC 04-05-2009 06:22 AM

Wow, well done, Ducks! Colour me highly impressed.

Clodfobble 04-05-2009 07:19 AM

Can you post a picture, Ducks? I love seeing home improvement projects.

Shawnee123 04-05-2009 07:32 AM

@ Dana:

I am happy because Dexter is coming over, in 7 to 9 business days. :)

I found the first season at Wally World for 30 bucks, but I decided to check online. Amazon had it for 20. So, I ordered it.

DanaC 04-05-2009 08:10 AM

Oh! Oh you are in for a treat. It's wickedly funny.

And Michael C Hall. Y'know, I think I could overlook little foibles like killing and dismembering the odd childkiller. I'm pretty sure I could...what's the word?...oh yes, compartmentalise :P

sugarpop 04-05-2009 09:31 AM

They just showed video clips of the cherry blossoms in full bloom in DC. I love cherry trees.

Shawnee123 04-05-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 552958)
Oh! Oh you are in for a treat. It's wickedly funny.

And Michael C Hall. Y'know, I think I could overlook little foibles like killing and dismembering the odd childkiller. I'm pretty sure I could...what's the word?...oh yes, compartmentalise :P

I think I could too. I could have gotten over David being gay in 6FU!

I can't wait. I am desperately in need of a quality viewing obsession.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarpop (Post 552976)
They just showed video clips of the cherry blossoms in full bloom in DC. I love cherry trees.

You must have been watching CBS Sunday Morning. I saw it too. There was a segment earlier on Helen Keller that I was going to post about seeing. It was awesome!

sugarpop 04-05-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 552981)
I think I could too. I could have gotten over David being gay in 6FU!

I can't wait. I am desperately in need of a quality viewing obsession.

You must have been watching CBS Sunday Morning. I saw it too. There was a segment earlier on Helen Keller that I was going to post about seeing. It was awesome!

I just caught the tail end of the show. I always love the way they end that show. It's very comforting and serene.

Clodfobble 04-05-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123
There was a segment earlier on Helen Keller that I was going to post about seeing.

Why, just to rub it in?

;)

Sundae 04-05-2009 02:30 PM

I have the house to myself again until Wednesday - yay!
Still attending the day hospital, but I might be discharged this week, as I am considered fully detoxed now.

Still, the wheels of the NHS turn so slowly, I might be better off there until they work out if the Community Mental Health team are actually going to pick me up for psycho-therapy. Still, if not the alcohol counselling I'm going to get (starting tomorrow at 09.00) are another route to therapy. My GP wants to send me back to counselling - huh? That's what dragged up all the bad shit in the first place!

Oh and my Alli (Orlistat) arrived on Saturday! So I had my first full day today. Will report back in the weight thread next week as to how much difference it makes. A little concerned because the side effects can include loose stools, difficult to control bowel movements etc etc - I haven't had a poo since I took the first tablet Saturday night! No idea how this will be reflected in my weigh in tomorrow - I'm used to having two a day!!

Oh and I have finished up my Rose Red hair dye. When this fades sufficiently or the roots get too obvious (I have the last of it marinating my barnet right now) I have a lighter but brighter shade to move onto. All bought, as it another three lots of bleach (only if necessary) because there were deals on when I got the first lot, so I feel thrifty even if I wasn't. And I didn't get it all over the bathroom this time. Hmmm, better not speak to soon, it's the washing off that gets splashy...

Trilby 04-05-2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 553044)
Why, just to rub it in?

;)

:) clever girl.

BigV 04-05-2009 07:01 PM

Lit coals under SonofV's birthday ham. Shame I didn't get them started earlier. Oh well, it'll be done in the morning.

Shawnee123 04-05-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 553044)
Why, just to rub it in?

;)

Heehee.

They showed a clip of her and Anne Sullivan, with Sullivan explaining how she taught Helen to talk. Helen then spoke, and they had to caption it because it was very hard to understand, and she said that the only thing she wished she could change (and I'm really paraphrasing here) was her speech. She wondered what she might have accomplished if she had been able to speak clearly. This woman who overcame obstacles I could never begin to comprehend, and arguably one of the most intelligent women ever, who accomplished amazing things...wondering what she might have been able to do better.

capnhowdy 04-05-2009 08:03 PM

Louis Braille pm'd me and said all his buddies in France listened to that on the public radio broadcast this morning.

Aliantha 04-05-2009 09:01 PM

My first official day at home alone with Max. As much as I love Dazza and have enjoyed having him here with us for the last few weeks, he's started getting under my feet a bit. Max is into a pretty good routine now, so I can finally get to all those little things that seem to get put off when there's someone else in the house, even if it is your husband.

Am I the only full time mum who feels like this or do others of you know what I'm talking about?

BigV 04-05-2009 09:21 PM

I function differently when SonofV is not home. Some things are easier to get done. Laundry. Cleaning. Organizing. Meals are far simpler, much more like refueling.

Honestly, though, while I like the increased efficiency from reduced distractions, compared to laundry and cleaning and organizing and elaborate meals, SonofV isn't a distraction. He's just a far higher priority.

Tiki 04-06-2009 12:03 AM

I feel like I'm able to get more done, as a single mom, than when I was married. Funny. I guess it's because I fill the space that used to be occupied by my husband with things like cleaning and baking.

Today I feel pretty happy because even though I did not get to go canoeing with my friend, because he either drank too much last night or has food poisoning or both, my housemate babysat Little Orange (my smallest) and I drove out to the levee where the canoe ramp is, and it was pretty and there were turtles. Then Sir Talksalot called me and I went and watched him dig a trench for a while, and then I went home and collected Little Orange and we walked to the store and then to my sick friend's house to deliver him Vitamin Water, and then went to a BBQ, and just now got home and tucked Little Orange into bed! I'm so tired, I should go to bed too.

ZenGum 04-06-2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiki (Post 553171)
.... and I drove out to the levee where the canoe ramp is, and it was pretty and there were turtles.

In a Chevvy, I hope ;)

Tiki 04-06-2009 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 553176)
In a Chevvy, I hope ;)

Sadly, no! In a Volvo.

Made me want to get a Chevy, though. Something like this sexy baby:

http://www.parkavenueleasing.ca/imag...m%20Deluxe.JPG

monster 04-06-2009 05:57 AM

Yebbut what were the turtles driving?

sweetwater 04-06-2009 08:11 AM

Road trip today! Heading out to QQ, NM. I love road trips. This one's a shorty (4 days) but we are packing the dogs with us so I won't have to wonder/worry about how they are doing.

sweetwater 04-06-2009 08:12 AM

And I must remember to take that left turn when I get there. ;)

Queen of the Ryche 04-06-2009 02:16 PM

Is it wabbit season?

Sundae 04-06-2009 03:31 PM

I volunteered as a steward at London Pride this year.
Got an email to say I'm accepted.

Hurrah!

Tiki 04-06-2009 03:45 PM

Yay, that's cool SG! Sounds like fun!

I went and got a kayak. :D I still need a paddle and a lifejacket, and eventually a rack, but it's only 9'6" so it fits in my wagon if I lay the seats down. I'm so excited! I can't wait to take it out.

Trilby 04-06-2009 03:46 PM

You're going to be in some sort of London Stew Pride?

I hope it's not too hot, darling. And watch out for the potatoes.

Trilby 04-06-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiki (Post 553342)
I went and got a kayak... I'm so excited! I can't wait to take it out.

That's very nice, Tiki, and I am happy for you. You sound just like me when I get a new piece of jewelry; or a mani-pedi.

Tiki 04-06-2009 04:24 PM

Thanks!

I'm re-embracing my nature as a sporty nerdy girl. :)

classicman 04-06-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

... and eventually a rack,

Interesting if taken out of context.

DanaC 04-06-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Yay, that's cool SG! Sounds like fun!

I went and got a kayak. :D I still need a paddle and a lifejacket, and eventually a rack, but it's only 9'6" so it fits in my wagon if I lay the seats down. I'm so excited! I can't wait to take it out.

Very cool! I've only ever been in a kayak once. Liked canoes though. I used to have a brilliant Snipe slalem canoe when I was a kid. Gorgeous it was. Pale underside, sky blue on top with black parrelel lines down the centre and a black trim along the sides. Admittedly it spent an inordinate amount of time hanging from the hallway rafters, and very little time actually in the water, but I did like it :P

Tiki 04-06-2009 05:45 PM

Canoes are great too! I went with a kayak because it's small and light enough for me to manage by myself. I used to canoe in Puget Sound all the time, and I miss it!

jinx 04-06-2009 10:26 PM

Wow what a great deal on the kayak, congrats. Get a pic when you can...