The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Sundae 11-28-2007 04:36 PM

I talked it through with HM and we both agreed I should treat this as my priority. So if it comes down to it I tell the Job Centre and my GP the truth. Fingers crossed there won't be a clash and I'll have the course under my belt and have a job by end of Feb.

BigV 11-28-2007 04:54 PM

SG--

Good luck to you. I have no words of advice on your other endeavors, but wrt alcohol, I can say that it's been well worth it to me to forgo drinking. I made this choice a long time ago, and I do not regret it. I only speak about it to give you a first hand account that it is both possible and good.

You can do it!

kerosene 11-28-2007 05:22 PM

I agree on the alcohol...sobriety is highly underrated. Good luck, SG!

Sundae 11-28-2007 05:27 PM

I'm down to 2 or 3 sessions of drinking a week and on those nights my consumption is lower than it was. Just looking to keep bringing it down until I'm within health guidelines (so by about half). This will be the equivalent of a bottle and a half of red wine a week.

Clodfobble 11-28-2007 06:32 PM

The other great thing is that as you are able to start drinking less, you will be consuming a lot fewer calories and your already impressive weight loss routine will be even more successful!

classicman 11-28-2007 07:32 PM

Just my :2cents:
I wanted to quit smoking for the longest time. I've smoked for well over 20 years. I tried cutting back till I thought it was manageable, 1/2 pack a day from 1 or 2 packs, then I would decrease slowly till zero. Well although that plan seemed logical, it never worked. Finally I just decided one day I had to stop and I did. I took no drugs, no patches, no gum...nothing.

The one thing that changed was my attitude. I always cringed at the thought of NEVER smoking again. This time I just said I'll take a break till I'm 70, then I'll smoke all I want. I know it sounds stupid, but its made it so much easier. I am several months not smoking and I can't imagine smoking any time soon.

Go for it SG and don't let anything or anyone get in your way! It feels so good.

Aliantha 11-28-2007 07:38 PM

I reckon quitting smoking has to be cold turkey. I did it without patches etc too, and I've not even had one drag while out socializing and I'm glad. My kids are so much happier about it. They still say how wonderful it is that I don't smoke anymore and it's been about 4 yrs for me now.

Congrats classic. You're a star (just like me). ;)

Michaela 11-28-2007 08:22 PM

Way to go! Smoking is out but I can't turn away the going out with the gang for a drink after work. More power to those that don't have either vice. Woo Hoo

Sundae 11-29-2007 06:42 AM

I quit smoking cold turkey. I was just a habitual smoker though, and less than 20 a day. I never believed I was addicted and proved it when I stopped.

I'm happy today because I just cancelled yoga :)
I know it sounds bad, but I checked all my gym clothes an hour and ten minutes before the class started - all used and sweaty! Damn, how did that happen? So I figured it wasn't enough time to get them washed and dried (not in our machine anyway). So I cancelled on the personal proviso that I go to the gym about 15.00 - when they will be dried.

And it really cheered me up :)

Oh and Dylan purred for me for the first time since we moved down here in July. If my sausages thaw in in time for tea it'll be a good day all round!

LabRat 11-29-2007 07:12 AM

I got my SS recipient...yesss!

Thanks monster, for rounding this up!

Sundae 11-29-2007 07:29 AM

I'm pleased with my recipient too, thanks Monster for the work so far.
I'm just happy all round today - I was singing in the bath just now.
It reminds me that I have been down recently and days like this will become more frequent.

YAY!

Cloud 11-30-2007 10:45 AM

totally embarrassed to have read, and enjoyed, (this being the "happy" thread) a whole series of Transformers slash fanfiction.

Yep. Sam and Bumblebee are Doing It.

shina 11-30-2007 12:27 PM

My man is moving to the NW corner of the US. Yes!

Griff 12-02-2007 06:51 PM

Lil' Pete got a silver medal today and earned her "E" rating in foil!

sikcboy 12-02-2007 07:21 PM

hunting a deer with just my 2 dogs and a knife then fuckin my girlfriend with a bottle of wine until she bled