The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   My Kid is a Damn Nutter (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18924)

jinx 11-11-2009 07:09 PM

I can't even imagine how hard it would be to restrict ALL foods from a kid, but I think it's the right thing to do, the fastest way to heal him and move forward. Sending you strength and patience vibes.

monster 11-11-2009 08:01 PM

man, clod. that totally blows. Poor little guy, poor family.

classicman 11-11-2009 08:59 PM

Speechless, Clod. I hope and pray for a successful outcome for your kids. I wish I had a magic solution to this. I am constantly amazed at your resolve.
Sorry this suck so bad, but you are AWESOME!

Clodfobble 11-11-2009 09:37 PM

Nah, see, I may be awesome during the weeks when my kids are making progress... but times like this, I swear to God I'm shoving him in front of the TV for upwards of 3 hours straight every day just to make him be quiet(er). It's not my proudest moment.

monster 11-11-2009 10:07 PM

um... clod... for many parents that's the norm. If the kids are lucky, the parents suggest they might want to do their homework while they watch. trust me on this. People Invite my kids over for marathon platdates and when i say "are you sure?" they say hell, yeah, they'll probably just watch TV or play video games most of the time".

footfootfoot 11-11-2009 10:14 PM

Clod, you should seriously ease up on your self. It's not like you're shoving him in front of the TV for three hours just to qui -

Umm lemme finish reading your post.

j/k you know I think you are the 2nd best mom I know.

footfootfoot 11-11-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 607830)
um... clod... for many parents that's the norm. If the kids are lucky, the parents suggest they might want to do their homework while they watch. trust me on this. People Invite my kids over for marathon platdates and when i say "are you sure?" they say hell, yeah, they'll probably just watch TV or play video games most of the time".

eek.

I send them into the yard to play. We don't have a TV or Video games. Not even tetris or pong. I feel guilty about sending them outside to play instead of teaching them how to do something useful.

monster 11-11-2009 10:21 PM

yup. I hear ya. of course it means mine are awesomely behaved on playdate because they get to look at the box with magic pictures.... :lol: ...and that is also invaluable for road-trips.

xoxoxoBruce 11-12-2009 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 607721)
It's become obvious that I seriously screwed up.

And you probably will again, that's life. After the crap you've been going through, the things you've had to learn, much of it on your own breaking new ground, it's a fucking miracle you haven't made more mistakes.

I think you've done a miraculous job, and I worry people don't realise how much you've sacrificed, how much of yourself you've put into the battle... especially the people closest to you. From what you've written about what friends/family have said and done, or at least proposed to do, they don't get it... and don't appreciate your efforts.

I know your personal life is none of my business, but you've laid out so much in this thread, I'm concerned what toll this lifestyle is taking on you. Yeah, I know you don't have a choice, some might, but you don't. But please don't be too tough on yourself, you don't need or deserve that... mkay?

limey 11-12-2009 03:11 AM

What xoB said.

Clodfobble 11-12-2009 07:09 AM

I think I forgot to mention, I did find a local support group of biomedical moms awhile back. We have a messageboard, and meet in person once a month--in the late evening, after we've all put the kids to bed, because if there's one thing these women understand, it's that Daddy can't do the bedtime routine by himself. :) They've been pretty invaluable.

xoxoxoBruce 11-12-2009 10:37 AM

Cool, there's nothing like support from someone that's walked a mile in your(similar) shoes. :thumb:

Shawnee123 11-12-2009 10:45 AM

What Bruce said, squared!

Queen of the Ryche 11-19-2009 01:37 PM

I don't even know what to say Clod other than wow, dammit, and here's a hug. (And you more deserve the three hours of TV time if it gives both of you a break.)

Clodfobble 11-25-2009 10:29 AM

I'm very emotionally ambivalent about the last two days.

By some accident of calendar cramming, yesterday was both the day we started Minifob on the liquid diet, and his checkup with the neurologist, who hasn't seen him since April.

I was stoked about the neurologist appointment. Because this is a guy who, while not a sanctimonious know-it-all like the pediatrician, did waffle on the possible effectiveness of the GFCF diet when I told him we had (just barely) started Minifob on it last time we saw him. So I was very excited to bring him back and show him our amazing progress.

But we didn't even get to see him. The assistant lady (I don't know exactly what she is, but it's somewhere between the nurses who take your height/weight and the doctor himself) was suitably impressed with his gains, and asked a lot of interested questions about his dietary stuff... and then said that was pretty much it, we didn't need to come back unless something drastically changed. As if they saw this all the time, as if they hadn't told me 6 months ago that this wasn't going to make a difference. She just smiled and shrugged and said, "Whatever you're doing, it's working, so my advice is don't change anything." Maybe she was sparing me any discouragement from her humbug boss living in denial, or maybe she was protecting him from me. :)

But at any rate, Minifob's no longer a viable candidate for any of the neurological drugs routinely prescribed for autistic kids. Good to know.

Meanwhile, the liquid diet's going okay. He's not enjoying the drink mix, but he's willing to bargain individual swallows of it for things like another 5 minutes on SesameStreet.org, or another blow on the bubble wand. And when he isn't being specifically reminded about food, he's been in a really stellar mood. He's not making it as hard on me as his sister did, not by a long shot.

Anyway, I finally got around to putting together a new progress video last night. Mr. Clod made fun of me for the final title screen, ("You don't have to go all Oprah about it...") but I told him he could bite me. :)