The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

HungLikeJesus 08-04-2007 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uisge Beatha (Post 371495)
Foxes, both of you? I don't know if that's a good omen, but it's pretty darned cool. The most exotic we get around here is a raccoon - whoopee. :neutral:

Whiskey Beat - you know what they say, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

DanaC 08-04-2007 07:31 PM

Uisge, you have no idea how exotic a raccoon seems to me :P

Griff 08-04-2007 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamore (Post 369817)
I got out of jury duty...I had to sit through voir dire, but I'm not on a jury. Now I have tomorrow off...I'm gonna kick back and schmoke some weed!

(Of course, that's not gonna happen...but I will kick back and do nothing tomorrow. Maybe I'll just play PS2 all day.)

This is the worst bit about being a registered Libertarian, no jury duty. I'll never be able to get all jury nullification with them.

DucksNuts 08-05-2007 12:52 AM

Your fox visitor is totally cool HLJ, and your sighting is too SG.

I love foxes, my parents not so much. They have a little family of them picking of their specially breed chooks one by one. It breaks my Mums heart.

We go there for dinner most Friday nites, last weekend when my headlights hit the verandah...there was Mummy fox n 4 pups eating the cat food.

HungLikeJesus 08-06-2007 05:32 PM

I got my luggage from the airline tonight. My wife's is still MIA, but that's ok.

Piccolo Padawan 08-06-2007 05:36 PM

I found out today that I made the top band for piccolo today.

I'm pee my pants excited.

DanaC 08-06-2007 05:45 PM

Awesome Piccolo! Well done you :))

xoxoxoBruce 08-06-2007 06:25 PM

Top band? Is that a promotion within your band or another band, like an all star band?

Piccolo Padawan 08-06-2007 09:45 PM

There are four bands (in order from top to...least top...=x)

Wind Ensemble, Symphonic, Concert A and Concert B.

WE is for the students whom 'show the up most in musical ability and all that fancy stuff, and Concert B is for the students who can't play the Bb scale which is the first thing learned. and Symphonic and A are for those in between.

but each year you try out with music that was given to you, and you play off for the director. Then s/he decides from your yearly performance, your previous performance, if you are an upperclassman and how well you played the try out music as far as musicality and all that jazz. and then s/he places you in a band from there.

xoxoxoBruce 08-06-2007 09:48 PM

So you made WE, congratulations. Very cool.

UH, "top to...least top"? Are you planning a career in politics?

Piccolo Padawan 08-06-2007 09:52 PM

you caught me. :P

DanaC 08-07-2007 08:07 AM

*chuckles* you'll go far :P

Deuce 08-07-2007 11:49 AM

Every day I come to this thread empty handed...

I'm bringing nothing to the party...

I go away quietly, disturbing no one, unseen by all.

I should try harder.

ok

Today I had a hot shower. Not only did that make me happy, it makes everyone around me happy too.

Shawnee123 08-07-2007 11:50 AM

See, deuce...humor! Very good! :)

jester 08-07-2007 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce (Post 372401)
Every day I come to this thread empty handed...

I'm bringing nothing to the party...

I go away quietly, disturbing no one, unseen by all.

I should try harder.

ok

Today I had a hot shower. Not only did that make me happy, it makes everyone around me happy too.

Awww, don't be so hard on yourself - have you read some of mine?

Helloooo - obviously I don't have a lot to offer either. It's all good;)

yesman065 08-07-2007 02:49 PM

Some days all I have to offer is that I'm still here. Some people will probably put that in the "Whats upsetting you today thread" Oh well.

Deuce 08-07-2007 02:50 PM

yman's presence in the cellar makes me happy today.

kerosene 08-09-2007 10:04 AM

Seeing Deuce's presence in this thread makes me happy. :D

HLJ's comment about the one eyed man made me laugh...I think that counts as happiness.

My husband really liked the vegetable moussaka I made him last night for dinner and that happiness carried over into today. Does that count?

DanaC 08-09-2007 11:31 AM

Quote:

My husband really liked the vegetable moussaka I made him last night for dinner and that happiness carried over into today. Does that count?
Damn straight it does!

kerosene 08-09-2007 11:46 AM

:)

Thank you, Dana.

Shawnee123 08-09-2007 12:26 PM

I'm not very mad at myself today!:)

HungLikeJesus 08-09-2007 05:51 PM

Just for completeness, I should mention that my wife's luggage arrived last night.

Tonight we went to a weinlube, which was some kind of festival where everyone was drinking wine and lubing, I guess, and on the way back to our friends' apartment we stopped at a little bar or tavern, what ever they call them here in Ludwigsburg. Our friends went on home and we sat at a small table in the small dark corner of the small dark bar, or tavern, or whatever they call them here.

We planned to drink one beer and look at the carved wood and go back to our friends' apartment, but we got caught up in someone's good fortune and ended up, in addition to the beer and wein, drinking champagne and sitting, and chatting, with practically everyone in this local local, including Fidi and Peter, and some woman whose name I didn't get, but whose watch I'm now wearing. I said to my wife that I should go back tomorrow with the watch I brought with me from home, a 1957 (or so, no one really seems to know) Hamilton and make a fair exchange. That's how things seem to go when our friends drops us for a drink at the local local - strangers become friends and friends become stranger (but that's not right, they can't really become that).

So maybe I should be posting in the Meaningless Drunk Thread, or the City and Travels thread, but I am right now happy, and not quite drunk from hours of drinking and heavy thinking that I had it made.

What more I know I cannot say, but in the Cellar I wanted to stop and say...

Good bye.

Good bye.

DanaC 08-09-2007 06:08 PM

Pilau is making me happy today. Don't get me wrong, I still think he is rubbish and I'd be better off with a gerbil, but today he is making me happy. Literally. I was moping (I have no kinder word for it) in my house, being generally moody and disconsolate and not paying any attention to his furriness, so he took matters into his own paws and decided to entertain me. Picked up a toy and flipped it in the air then stood laughing (no really) then grabbed the toy again and flicked it in a different direction, looked at me, dropped down on his front paws and wagged his tail.

DucksNuts 08-09-2007 06:52 PM

I'm off to Melbourne again tonite, this always makes me happy.

I get to drive my shiny broom broom, get put up in a very flash hotel and spoiled rotten.

Hmmm, now I put that in print, I think that makes me a whore?

Oh well, someone has to wear that hat :)

glatt 08-10-2007 08:06 AM

Vacation starts at COB today. Woot!

Ibby 08-10-2007 08:17 AM

Last day of work today here, too!

Now I get six days of break before school... yay. Sike.

But...

GUITAR COMES TUESDAY!
FUCK yes!

Deuce 08-10-2007 02:32 PM

My sister slipped a book into my bag: Grace For The Moment by Max Lucado. It opens with this prayer, which I found soothing and powerful and true. If you wanted to know about me, you would do well to read and understand this poem.

As a special comfort to my profound sense of aloneness, I read the poem to myself, imagining my Dad was reading it to me, instructing me, guiding me, fathering me. When I did this, I substituted the word "You" for each instance of the word "I". I felt better having him speak to me this way.

Thanks sis. Thanks Mr Lucado. Thanks Dad.
Quote:

I choose Love...

No occasion justifies hatred;
no injustice warrants bitterness. I choose love.
Today I will love God and what God loves.

I choose Joy...

I will invite my God to be the God of circumstance.
I will refuse the temptation to be cynical...
the tool of the lazy thinker. I will refuse to see
people as anything less than human beings,
created by God. I will refuse to see any problem as
anything less than an opportunity to see God.

I choose Peace...

I will live forgiven. I will forgive so that I may live.

I choose Patience...

I will overlook the inconveniences of the world.
Instead of cursing the one who takes my place, I'll
invite him to do so. Rather than compolain that the
wait is too long, I will thank God for a moment
to pray. Instead of clenching my fist at new
assignments, I wil face them with joy and courage.

I choose Kindness...

I will be kind to the poor, for they are alone.
Kind to the rich, for they are afraid. And kind to
the unkind, for such is how God has treated me.

I choose Goodness...

I will go without a dollar
before I take a dishonest one. I will be overlooked
before I will boast. I will confess before I
accuse. I choose goodness.

I choose Faithfulness...

Today I will keep my promises.
My debtors will not regret their trust. My associates
will not question my word. My wife will not
question my love. And my children will never fear
that their father will not come home.

I choose Gentleness...

Nothing is won by force. I choose to be gentle.
If I raise my voice, may it be only in praise.
If I clench my fist, may it be only in prayer.
If I make a demand, may it be only of myself.

I choose Self-Control...

I am a spiritual being...
After this body is dead, my spirit will soar.
I refuse to let what will rot, rule the eternal.
I choose self-control. I will be drunk only by joy.
I will be impassioned only by my faith.
I will be influenced only by God.
I will be taught only by Christ.
I choose self-control.

Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,
faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
To these I commit my day.
If I succeed, I will give thanks.
If I fail, I will seek his grace.
And then, when this day is done,
I will place my head on my pillow
and rest.

Max Lucado
When God Whispers Your Name.

Deuce 08-10-2007 02:51 PM

I should add that I am not happy today. Though this poem, reading it over the past several days and nights, has helped me endure. It has definitely helped. I feel it has a place in this thread.

Please don't feel as if I'm proselytizing--I'm not. Feel free to beep out any words you don't like. Certainly, there are parts of the poem that harmonize with me more strongly than others. But harmony is about holding the differences together, simultaneously. It is not about singing an identical tune. There is beauty and truth here for all.

DanaC 08-10-2007 02:55 PM

I thought it was a very restful piece.

Hime 08-10-2007 04:33 PM

At work, I just got put on a project that I really wanted to work on. I'm excited to finally have something to do that actually interests me beyond "well, I guess this pays the rent." :D

DanaC 08-10-2007 04:39 PM

That's totally cool!

JuancoRocks 08-14-2007 02:02 AM

What's making you happy today?

Actually tonight......
It's raining here in Phoenix, Arizona right now.
It's 95 degrees and cooling off as a real nice rain is coming down bringing the pungent desert smells and a cooling breeze.

Unlike other places where you mother made you come in out of the rain, in the desert we go out and stand in it and revel in the wonderful things the rain will do to the desert. The purple desert sage will bloom with flowers for the next week because of the rain and the creosote bushes will give off that sweet smell that only comes from the desert along with a fresh earthy smell...

Sometimes the simplest things are the best......

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...r/P1010815.jpg

DucksNuts 08-14-2007 04:29 AM

That is a stunning picture Juanco

DanaC 08-14-2007 06:11 AM

Wow. What a superb picture.

Sun_Sparkz 08-14-2007 07:29 AM

my ipod.

sometimes the material things are good too ;)

DanaC 08-14-2007 08:08 AM

The fact that I woke up feeling quite good for a second day in a row. Yesterday i didn't feel down, all day. Last night, I slept and wasn't plagued by insomniac, depressive meanderings. I think I'm through the bout of depression and at the other side:) I don't feel I have a silent cry lodged permanently in the back of my throat. I feel .....normal:P

minnmirman 08-14-2007 02:31 PM

sometimes i feel like normalcy is the most comforting feeling in the world

jester 08-14-2007 03:50 PM

Van Halen's gettin' back together (again):)

BigV 08-14-2007 04:49 PM

R-o-l-a-i-d-s

jester 08-14-2007 04:51 PM

Sooo, you can spell "relief"?:)

DucksNuts 08-15-2007 05:21 AM

Rolaids are?

Clodfobble 08-15-2007 05:25 AM

Indigestion medicine, with an old ad campaign asserting that "R-o-l-a-i-d-s spells relief."

DucksNuts 08-15-2007 05:36 AM

Ahhhh, thanks Clod.

You have the answer for everything.

fargon 08-15-2007 07:36 AM

I spell relief Fart, and or Belch.

LabRat 08-15-2007 09:02 AM

Boss #2's birthday today. I brought in Boston creme pie and strawberry swirl cheesecake (storebought, sue me).

I'll be meeting my fruit and dairy requirements for lunch...as well as my fat intake for the week :).

Cloud 08-15-2007 09:18 AM

I always like it when I see this thread toward the top--it means someone's happy!

BigV 08-15-2007 10:52 AM

My wife does **NOT** have cancer.

Shawnee123 08-15-2007 11:11 AM

Wonderful, BigV! If you had mentioned it might be possible I missed it, but I'm very glad to hear she is in the clear! :)

DanaC 08-15-2007 11:21 AM

Great news BigV!

Cloud 08-15-2007 01:21 PM

well, that's certainly a happy thing, Big V!

Clodfobble 08-15-2007 03:20 PM

What a coincidence--I don't have cancer either! ;) But seriously, folks... I'm really glad your family is in the clear, BigV. You have my deepest congratulations.

jester 08-15-2007 03:38 PM

Great News, V

LabRat 08-15-2007 04:20 PM

Good! Whew.

theotherguy 08-15-2007 04:21 PM

Good news V!

BigV 08-15-2007 05:07 PM

Thank you all very very much. As you might imagine, the period of uncertainty was agony. Now, it's just the regular sh*tstorm of life. But life without that particular turd.

Again, Thank you all.

yesman065 08-15-2007 08:53 PM

Great news about your wife!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 375035)
01-20-09

. lol^^^^^^

bluecuracao 08-15-2007 11:43 PM

The regular sh*tstorm is far preferable to cancer, thank god. Glad to hear, V.

Griff 08-16-2007 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 374963)
My wife does **NOT** have cancer.

That is a wonderful blessing.

LabRat 08-16-2007 08:51 AM

"YOU: on a diet" be damned. The last piece of Boston creme pie was delecious for breakfast. I ran this morning.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm.....

LabRat 08-17-2007 09:27 AM

One of my bosses had been bustin' my chops about mistakes that I seemed to be making (long story short). He called me at home last night to apologize when he realized that the mistake was his, and my work was fine.

I'm happy because A) I wasn't fucking up and B) that I work for a cool boss.

Well, they are both kickass actually. I am spoiled.