The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

chrisinhouston 05-24-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 865915)
Yo mama so fat ...

:bolt:

:hide:

And if I had posted that my wife had died or was injured would you have responded the same way? Asshole!

ZenGum 05-24-2013 07:16 AM

Of course not. So, no.

BigV 05-24-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisinhouston (Post 865913)
I am happy because my wife is alive and safe in Seattle waiting to fly home for the weekend. Last night she headed south from Burlingham, Washington and crossed the I-5 bridge in Mt. Vernon over the Skagit River.

An hour after she crossed it the bridge collapsed. :eek:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/C...208760201.html

I'm glad Mrs Houston is ok.

btw, that's Bellingham.

morethanpretty 05-29-2013 06:55 AM

I start today!

glatt 05-29-2013 07:22 AM

for real this time!

good luck!

chrisinhouston 05-29-2013 07:58 AM

Got my Land Rover back up and running by replacing the XYZ switch with one I got on eBay for $140 instead of $600 from the stealership! ;)

glatt 05-29-2013 08:14 AM

Excellent!

xoxoxoBruce 05-29-2013 08:56 PM

Have you found a way to waterproof it?

limey 05-30-2013 08:45 AM

A bag full o' crispy duck in the freezer, reinstating what the Big Snow took away from me. I now have:
roast duck bitz in the freezer
plum sauce in the fridge
rice pancakes (courtesy of Sundae ;)) on the shelf
In a day or two I'll go get us some cucumber and syboes (spring onions) and we'll have the crispy duck pancake thang! :yum:

footfootfoot 05-30-2013 12:21 PM

Do folks hunt ducks where you are or are they farmed? I have to admit that I associate Scotland with nothing but the thinnest of soils that barely support grass and sheep. I always wondered how you all manage to eat. And for being practically in the water there isn't much talk about Scottish fisherman. It's always Irish fishermen.

What, exactly, is going on over there? Where do you get ducks?

limey 05-30-2013 01:00 PM

This duck came from the Co-op (what passes for a supermarket here).
The late lamented remains of the Christmas duck was free range at a farm up the road. We've already placed our order for the next one.
You are right about the thin soil, especially here on Arran which is just a rock sticking out of the sea with a thin covering of top soil. The Irish fishermen have pinched all of our fish (as have many other nationalities).
If'n you want to shoot at stuff, there's a couple of guys here who raise pheasants for that, or have the stalking rights (for the red deer).
Most people go to the shops for their food :p

Sundae 05-30-2013 01:42 PM

Limes, the rice pancakes need to be soaked.
They're more a wonton covering than a pancake covering, as I discovered to my chagrin. Otherwise you may as well eat your duck from a cereal box.
Mmmmm, crunchy!
Fine if you are able to steam them I assume.

Happy today?
You betcha.
Group interview for W (high-end supermarket) today.
Seemed to go well, said we would hear in 2-3 weeks.
Just checked my email:

Quote:

Thank you for taking part in our recent interview. I am very pleased to tell you that we will now be considering your application further for job matching for Aylesbury. You will hear from us to let you know either that we have successfully matched you into a position, or that we plan to place your application on hold as we cannot match you. I will advise you by email when the job matching will be taking place once we have completed all of our interviews.

If we place you on hold and a suitable vacancy comes up within the next three months we will get back in contact with you. In the meantime, if you review your status on the system, it will state that your application is on hold following group interview.
We were advised at the interview that this was the second step.
Third step is exactly what it says above; from 1500 candidates they invited 350 for group interview. From 350 they had 140 vacancies to fill. Now it's simply (!) matching the working patterns and hours requested to what they require. As I said I was available for all shifts on all dates, I stand a very good chance of getting through to stage 3, which is simply JOB OFFER!

The only criterion I expressed was a minimum of 15 hours, because below that I am simply better off on benefits. Sorry to say it, but it's true. There is no point in me taking a job for 5 hours per week (their minimum shift.)

Just gotta get through the reference stage, hmmmmm.

Yes, it's a supermarket.
But it's one I really like.
And it seriously looks after its employees. Sorry, partners; it ha sno shareholders and an annual bonus to all staff. Opens 8 August. And I was looking forwar to it so much. But now if I don't get a job, how can I ever cross the threshold without resentment?

Yeah, I'll manage it for a penguin's egg.
Ostrich egg, I mean.

Clodfobble 05-30-2013 05:15 PM

Nice to hear, Sundae! Good luck all around with it.

Chocolatl 05-30-2013 07:10 PM

Good luck, Sundae!

Lola Bunny 05-30-2013 11:22 PM

Good luck, Sundae!