The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

monster 05-20-2008 07:24 PM

Wedding Anniversary. Ivory. Darling clever beest adopted me a wild African Elephant. And made me a card with Ivor the Engine on it (Brits may remember him) -so that was Ivor-y too :D

jinx 05-20-2008 07:48 PM

Nice.... but he shoulda got you something with a trunk.

monster 05-20-2008 07:51 PM

ha. I don't do trunks, I'm the practical hatchback sort. and I still call them boots anyway.... ;)

I have a picture and a certificate and a little fluffy elephant and everything. aw.

SteveDallas 05-20-2008 10:56 PM

Way to go Shawnee!!!

Shawnee123 05-21-2008 07:13 AM

Thanks all. It's been a long road and I am still in a state of shock!

(When I think about it, I have to thank the Cellar. The work rants I've posted here probably saved me from going over the edge...the Cellar is my stress relief! Usually.) :blush:

Ali: hope you have a great time with the kids!

Congrats on your anniversary, monster. That's a neat gift.

Hawaii? Now I'm just jealous!

monster 05-21-2008 07:26 AM

Oooh Shawnee, so sorry, missed your news -that's awesome. And not a moment too soon. :D

Now, would you come over and have a word with beest's employers.... :lol:

Shawnee123 05-21-2008 07:28 AM

I'm checking on some things. lumberjim fired everyone and I'm trying to find my name on the safe list.

Help?

;)

Trilby 05-21-2008 08:21 AM

way to do it, Shawnee!

I just got my refund for all three classes winter quarter! Saved!!!

HungLikeJesus 05-21-2008 09:13 AM

Shawnee, good news. Now I'm glad we didn't talk you in to leaving for that other job last year.

Shawnee123 05-21-2008 10:32 AM

I guess it was destiny that I was too lazy and complacent and resigned to my position to go for that other job. ;)

HungLikeJesus 05-21-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 455646)
I guess it was destiny that I was too lazy and complacent and resigned to my position to go for that other job. ;)

Density? Oh, destiny?

Shawnee123 05-21-2008 11:09 AM

Hey, leave me alone. I'm densitive.

headsplice 05-21-2008 11:13 AM

This week:
Having one of my best friends in town for seven days.
Going to the ring designer tomorrow.
Having the motorcycle running again through my own blood and sweat.

Shawnee123 05-22-2008 11:26 AM

Today:

The sun is shining, it's warming up, and this is actually like Friday. 4 day weekend coming up...in on Tuesday then off to conference at a resort in Huron, OH for three days next week.

Thanks to you all for sharing my happiness this week, and for putting up with my giddiness. I know I'm hard to take sometimes.

You've been there with me through some good and bad times. It means a lot.

(I have been slacking badly today...meet with auditors at 1 then I have to TRY to stay out of here.)

:)

Sundae 05-22-2008 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Shawnee you're a gem
You deserve happiness with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles and don't you forget it.

What is helping to cheer me today - I bought some really lovely flowers this week (partly because I knew they would help, partly because we had a Director level interviewee who I hoped to impress).

And my kitsch Garfield is a trinket box which now holds my paperclips and cost me £1.50 ($3) from a charity shop.

Shawnee123 05-22-2008 11:39 AM

Those flowers are almost as pretty as you, SG. You remind me of a sunflower, they just make people smile and feel good. Thanks.

SteveDallas 05-22-2008 11:46 AM

The flowers are beautiful.

On behalf of all right-thinking Americans, I apologize for having exported Garfield.

Shawnee123 05-22-2008 12:51 PM

The auditor's findings did not include ANY of my work. :) The other stuff they found was small, normal mistakes, but they didn't find anything on my part. Yay!

HungLikeJesus 05-22-2008 12:54 PM

They couldn't find any of your work? Good job!

Flint 05-22-2008 01:53 PM

What exactly would you say... you do here?

classicman 05-22-2008 03:38 PM

Spending the weekend fishing with my Dad and my sons.

skysidhe 05-22-2008 04:29 PM

I asked the apartment management receptionist if they could install a ceiling fan if I bought one. My return call was yes do you want us to buy one? I said ok, with a light he asked? why yes thank you I said.

Then last night I ran into a co-worker. We were talking about those awful cardboard cat scratch boxes. I mentioned I was going to get a cat pole. She said she had a brand new one I could have. I said I would give her something for it but she said, oh no. Just come and get it.

I feel so lucky this week. :)

HungLikeJesus 05-22-2008 04:36 PM

You have a cardboard cat?

I'm sure it's low maintenance, but you probably don't want to get it wet.

(In Mexico, they call those Pinatas.)

skysidhe 05-22-2008 04:39 PM

*laughing* :)

I love those pinatas! As a child I was never strong enough to break one open or fast enough to get much but they were still fun. So of course when I grew up and made pinatas at those times I taught crafts.Lot's of fun!

Clodfobble 05-22-2008 04:54 PM

It's that time of year again (technically one of two times of the year,) when we must buy presents for the hardest girl to shop for in the world.

This would be in the "mildly irritating you" thread, BUT I am happy to say that after about 2 hours of aimless internet wandering this afternoon looking for inspiration, I have found not one but two very likely gifts. And I still have a month left to look!!

Cloud 05-22-2008 04:59 PM

awful cardboard cat scratch boxes? Why are they awful? Cats like 'em.

skysidhe 05-22-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 456186)
awful cardboard cat scratch boxes? Why are they awful? Cats like 'em.

Well that's exactly what we were saying. We knew other people swore by them but our cats didn't use them so....I guess her cat dosn't like the cat pole either. So I get it...and they can be expensive so I am happy...

The cats tear up my furniture. I am planning on getting a wicker furniture set at some point. A nice set not any funky resin or white ones either.

Sundae 05-22-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 456182)
I am happy to say that after about 2 hours of aimless internet wandering this afternoon looking for inspiration, I have found not one but two very likely gifts. And I still have a month left to look!!

Clod those are great gifts!
If my niece was 3 years younger I'd be after that pearl kit like a shot. And in fact I'm tempted by the toaster plates idea for my nephew. Best find out if he even eats toast first!

SteveDallas 05-22-2008 08:52 PM

The pearl thing looks cool. I would buy the toaster for myself, if these people would make a version of it.

Clodfobble 05-22-2008 09:18 PM

Well there's always this option, too.

Ibby 05-24-2008 08:25 AM

Sitting around drinking a nice, cold bottle of iced tea.
...long island, that is.

:angel:

when the folks get home...
...whats wrong with a nice bottle of nestea?

Sundae 05-25-2008 05:50 PM

I had a vision of an angel.

Fuzzy barely there hair. A bit drunk. Sometimes furious, sometimes hard as diamond, sometimes soft as butter.

It stayed with me and is still making me happy.

x

Ibby 05-26-2008 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 456571)
Sitting around drinking a nice, cold bottle of iced tea.
...long island, that is.

:angel:

when the folks get home...
...whats wrong with a nice bottle of nestea?

x2

DucksNuts 05-26-2008 05:48 AM

Im going on a date...like, a real one. Not one that will end in the exchange of body fluids...but a fair dinkum one.

It will end crappily, but the prospect makes me :)

bluecuracao 05-26-2008 02:54 PM

Somehow it all came together and made sense, and I learn-ded Dreamweaver with the HTMLs and CSS-es this week...so today I'm designing a website that I will actually make work all by myself. God, I feel like such a retard. But I'm a happy retard!!

lookout123 05-26-2008 03:08 PM

I got the go ahead from Mrs L to devote some extra time to exploring the creation of a new NonProfit organization. I have received a couple of commitments for start up funding for it as well. The rough plan is a nonprofit designed to ensure that all kids in the area have the ability to play soccer at the appropriate level (rec/club) regardless of family finances. It can be a very expensive undertaking and we've dealt with issues as they've come up, but in a mostly by the seat of your pants manner. This year a couple of us stepped up to pay the fees for a new kid from a family going through divorce and can't pay the expenses for the year. Helping him is all well and good, but he isn't the only one out there.

So the plan is to partner with as many of the local clubs and rec leagues as possible to make them aware of available assistance for kids that need a little help covering tuition and training fees.

The second arm is an equipment exchange center. No kid should be showing up to practice or a game with a broken styrofoam cup stuffed in his socks to fulfill the requirement for shinguards. Proper soccer pads and shoes aren't just meant to make you look cool, they are designed for functional safety reasons.

Every kid who wants to play should be able to play with all the appropriate equipment.

It will be a lot of work, but I'm starting the planning now. and loving it.:D

Cicero 05-26-2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DucksNuts (Post 456958)
Im going on a date...like, a real one. Not one that will end in the exchange of body fluids...but a fair dinkum one.

It will end crappily, but the prospect makes me :)

Now you are obligated to update us on the happenings.
:D

Will it turn into a exchange of fluids unlike you say? Maybe even out of holiday depression? Hmmm......

DanaC 05-26-2008 03:21 PM

Wonderful idea Lookout. There's a local group in the ward I represent who do something similar.

monster 05-26-2008 09:41 PM

Awsome, lookout. Sound like you know what you're doing already, and I'm sure there's probably nothing I can help with, but our swim team runs on the same basis and just went through 501c(3) certification, so if you do ever hit a brick wall be sure to shout out, just in case.

DucksNuts 05-27-2008 06:04 AM

My date went well, I am in unknown territory a little.

I have to pull out the dating handbook....I cant remember how long it will be before he calls.

classicman 05-27-2008 08:51 AM

Hope

Sundae 05-29-2008 05:44 AM

I've just won a £10 voucher!
Yay!!!
It's less about the prize and more about the winning - I love to win stuff.

I'm taking part in a monitoring scheme for a public service.
There is a small payment, and as an added incentive you are entered into a daily and monthly draw. I won one of today's daily prizes. The monthly prize is £750 - oooh I'd like that please.

elSicomoro 05-29-2008 01:01 PM

My wife was quoted as an "expert" in a newspaper story today...she rocks!

dar512 05-29-2008 01:41 PM

Very cool Syc. April's 15 minutes of fame. Important story on the ATVs, too.

elSicomoro 05-29-2008 01:51 PM

That's going to be her baby for the summer, with ATVs roaring like crazy and fairs coming up. I believe she'll be in Springfield (IL) and Sedalia (MO) for the state fairs this year.

Then in the fall comes the new safety store at the hospital: a $100,000 grant (that I helped write) to build and stock the store with illness and injury prevention items (car seats, socket covers, etc.).

I'm so proud of her...she's done a lot of good work there in just 2 years.

DanaC 05-29-2008 07:27 PM

Congrats to April, Syc :)

Hey Sundae *high five* that means you're a winner!

TheMercenary 05-29-2008 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamore (Post 457890)
That's going to be her baby for the summer, with ATVs roaring like crazy and fairs coming up. I believe she'll be in Springfield (IL) and Sedalia (MO) for the state fairs this year.

Then in the fall comes the new safety store at the hospital: a $100,000 grant (that I helped write) to build and stock the store with illness and injury prevention items (car seats, socket covers, etc.).

I'm so proud of her...she's done a lot of good work there in just 2 years.

Very cool. Good work, congrats.;)

elSicomoro 05-30-2008 12:38 AM

Another story, which uses one of my wife's quotes from yesterday. Apparently, there are going to be 3 or 4 articles this week in the paper about ATV safety.

Oh, I started a new delivery job last night...I enjoyed my first shift, and I'm optimistic about a future there. Here's to more happy days!

Shawnee123 05-30-2008 12:42 AM

Good for her. Tell her to keep up that good work. I applaud her.

Ibby 05-30-2008 02:58 AM

2160 on my SATs!

Sundae 05-30-2008 05:16 AM

I've no idea what that means, but if it's making you happy I feel congratulations are in order. Well done!

spudcon 05-30-2008 09:09 AM

2160 on my ZITS!

Undertoad 05-30-2008 10:22 AM

2112 on my WALKMANZ!

TheMercenary 05-30-2008 10:31 AM

We have numerous deaths here each year from ATV's, almost always children riding unsupervised and with out appropriate gear. We have had some real tragic events. Including this one:

http://www.news4jax.com/news/2506914/detail.html

I own an ATV and use it for hunting. My son has rides it frequently and always wears protective gear.

elSicomoro 05-30-2008 01:05 PM

He better...or my wife will be happy to come down there and have a talk with you and your wife. :)

lookout123 05-30-2008 05:59 PM

I leave for Hawaii in 13 hours. My bank delivered a new debit card and a new credit card to my office today. I'm out some cash but it could have been worse.

Cloud 05-30-2008 06:08 PM

your bank delivers? wow!

have a great time and don't think of us, and take lots of pictures.

Sundae 05-30-2008 06:14 PM

I lost my debit card two days before I got married (was eventually found in the car!) I was also due to be paid the day after the ceremony and was stony broke until then, so was relying on my salary to give us honeymoon expenses.

So basically it all depended on my new card being delivered - as agreed - at the bank branch at the airport before our 11.30 flight. The branch didn't open til 10.30. I worried myself sick all the way there.

It was delivered, I got it no problems and we even underspent.

Glad to hear yours arrived in time!
Have a wonderful holiday

Sundae 05-31-2008 01:21 PM

YAY!!!!!!!
It's the Steve Pemberton episode of Dr Who!

Two of my favourite men together.
Very very different, but both gorgeous.

For future reference for the Americans it's the library episode.
Steve is the man whose family built the library.

DanaC 06-01-2008 04:35 AM

Wasn't that a good episode? A proper, old school, get the younglings hiding behind the sofa, Doctor Who tall tale. Wonderful. I love the Moffat episodes. Empty Child and the one with the scary ass statues were both classy fayre.