The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

BigV 05-16-2017 07:25 PM

I'm happy now because I am finally checked in at the urgent care office. I've been having a lot of trouble breathing. Stressing me the fuck out.

glatt 05-16-2017 07:56 PM

Not good. Maybe some sort of allergic reaction?

BigV 05-17-2017 01:18 PM

https://medlineplus.gov/heartfailure.html

Turns out congestive heart failure is a real thing. Do not fuck with it.

Gravdigr 05-17-2017 01:24 PM

Well, shit, V...:(

They weren't just trying to scare the shit out of ya like they do sometimes?

glatt 05-17-2017 02:16 PM

wow. I'm sorry man. That sucks.

sexobon 05-17-2017 04:35 PM

What about treatment? Are you going for the traditional blood letting; or, should we start saving our leaches for you?

I suppose there are other ways to bring your systemic pressure down; but, they won't be as much fun.

xoxoxoBruce 05-17-2017 07:17 PM

Lets see, my Pacemaker/Defibrillator combo was $43,000 (plus installation:rolleyes:) and keeps everything working together. Plus if my heart stops it gives me a big shock. That hasn't happened so I don't know how big but I was warned if someone was touching my... uh, touching me, they'd get a big shock too. Gotta get the battery replaced every five years or so, but other than that, merrily I roll along.

I think that's the worst case scenario if you stay on top of it, so don't freak out and stay proactive on this. You can do this.

limey 05-18-2017 01:45 AM

Well shit BigV! Do what the doc says. You'll get through this. x

Griff 05-18-2017 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 988901)
https://medlineplus.gov/heartfailure.html

Turns out congestive heart failure is a real thing. Do not fuck with it.

fuuuuuuuuuuuk.
Sorry man.

Clodfobble 05-18-2017 02:41 PM

This is not generally the type of thing I come to the happy thread for, but I won't give you shit because your heart might not be able to take it. :( Hope the symptoms are relieved soon.

BigV 05-18-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 988855)
I'm happy now because I am finally checked in at the urgent care office. I've been having a lot of trouble breathing. Stressing me the fuck out.

I'm home and THAT MAKES ME HAPPY!

BigV 05-18-2017 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 988994)
This is not generally the type of thing I come to the happy thread for, but I won't give you shit because your heart might not be able to take it. :( Hope the symptoms are relieved soon.

Point well taken.

The initial post was simply true, and the follow up posts were here because it was easier to maintain the continuity through my phone in technologically and logistically difficult circumstances. I closed the loop just now, again, on *happy* point.

A new, different thread is due.

Gravdigr 05-22-2017 12:51 PM

"Earache My Eye" is playing on the radio as I post this!:devil:

Snakeadelic 05-26-2017 07:32 AM

Today a dentist named Dr. Sager is making me very happy! He's in Bozeman, MT and I will be singing his praises for YEARS at this rate.

My "difficult" root canal turned out to be way worse than expected. The root of the tooth in question forks deep in the upper jaw bone, but the nerve canals in mine didn't follow the normal route. Turns out there was also a not-supposed-to-look-like-that partial THIRD nerve path connecting the forks! When he hit that part and it hurt, he put a Novocaine shot directly into my hard palate, not gums but the super-thin tissue on the roof of the mouth.

In under 24 hours I could no longer feel where that injection went in! He managed to get enough anesthetic into that terrifying spot for an injection without leaving any bruising--and I know there was Novocaine in the needle because the partial nerve path immediately went numb.

I'm approaching 72 hours out from the procedure. The bone around that extensive work no longer hurts AT ALL. And in a couple of weeks I get A REAL CROWN, since it turns out I have the fancy-a$$ Medicaid dental that doesn't put a cap on annual dental work costs and WILL pay for a porcelain crown or two a year.

Plus on the way back I got to visit the Mineral Museum at Montana Tech, where among other spectacular exhibits they have a full Siberian cave bear skeleton (his name's Boris)!

Gravdigr 05-26-2017 01:43 PM

IT'S FRIDAY!!!

I was looking for an excuse to drink...:D

Clodfobble 05-30-2017 03:13 PM

We've been trying to gently convince stepdaughter that she needs to apply for a better job since basically day one of her current job. It was always meant to be a shitty stepping-stone gig, and she has done an admirable job of rising to the occasion and increasing her confidence, which was really the only roadblock to her employability in the first place. It only took about 3 months before she first said with wonder, "Everyone I work with is kind of... a lot dumber than me." Yeah, honey, we know. But she didn't follow through on the "so get a better job" conclusion. She's convinced that she'll make some mistake and get fired from any job that's even slightly harder than the one she's at.

But today she told us a complicated tale of work drama that basically boils down to three things: upper management is embezzling money, the last person to catch them red-handed was fired, and they just tried to sucker her into a situation that would put her name on their latest fraudulent transactions. Fortunately she played dumb and "accidentally" deleted the transaction, so they had to abandon the attempt.

But she only did it because she didn't want to get fired like the last person that caught them. I explained to her that this is not about not-getting-fired, this is about not-going-to-jail. These people will not hesitate to throw her under the bus, and she needs a new job immediately.

All of which is in the happy thread because she is, now, applying for new jobs. If it takes the threat of jailtime to get her ass in gear to improve her own life, then whatever, I'll take it.

glatt 05-30-2017 03:32 PM

Awesome! Get a new job or you are going to jail. I like it.

BigV 05-30-2017 05:28 PM

Maybe not "or" .

monster 05-30-2017 09:02 PM

Goalie Boy got an award at school tonight. The award, in fact. The show-closing Soaring Eagle principal's award. (They are the Eagles)

:D

I will post pics in the proud parent thread some time, but I'm too impatient.

I had previously promised him he didn't have to go to the stupid pre-graduation "pinning ceremony", but they emailed us and said he was getting one of the ten "big" awards, so please attend. There were 8 "core values" awards (two representing each of the schools fur buzzwords), and he wasn't called up... and then one named for the first (disgraced imo) principal, and he wasn't called up.... and then the principal's award. Braggety-brag-brag-brag.

I was sure it would be the Sulura Jackson award (a principal who moved away and was later found to be a plagiarist, and topped that achievement off by sending a condolence letter to a staff member at her new school which still had our school's name in it....) because there always seems to be a fly in the beestmonster ointment.... but it wasn't!

And the principal raved about him and said all the things I think...and and and.....

:)

.....This has been the worst ten days in our family's recent memory, I will probably never share details. Trust me, it's been grim.

So THIS really helps

BigV 05-30-2017 10:36 PM

***STANDING OVATION***
***WILD APPLAUSE***

CONGRATULATIONS PARENTS!!!

And job well done, Goalie Boy!

Clodfobble 05-30-2017 11:14 PM

I'm glad for something good, the beestmonsters deserve it!!

Gravdigr 05-31-2017 12:20 AM

I'm glad ya found a bright spot, Monster. Sounds like ya needed one.

Go, Goalie Boy!!!

And good on his parents, too!:beer:

Raisin' good kids 'n' shit...

glatt 05-31-2017 07:17 AM

Way to go! That's fantastic!:celebrat:

DanaC 05-31-2017 03:02 PM

W00t!

Good goin goalie boy:)

glatt 06-02-2017 08:29 AM

Spent 40 minutes on the phone with the IRS and the guy was able to help me! That included him waiting while I went down the hall and faxed him some forms and then came back to my desk. The key is to call first thing in the morning. They are fresh and your day isn't busy yet.

I tried calling an hour before they closed on Tuesday and waited on hold for 45 minutes before I gave up and hung up.

Then yesterday, I tried the call in the morning trick, and I got an a nice employee who was incompetent, after being on hold for 35 minutes to get them. She sent me away. Said my problem was impossible and transferred me to another department to make an appointment to come in person. I was on hold with that department for 10 minutes before they answered and told me the next available appointment was after the deadline the IRS had given me to respond to their letter.

But today's dude answered the phone in only ten minutes, and he actually looked for ways to solve the problem. And he found them. I praised and thanked him profusely at the end of the long call.

Low expectations are the key to happiness.

Gravdigr 06-02-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 989950)
Low expectations are the key to happiness life.

Fixed it.

orthodoc 06-03-2017 05:56 PM

S/he who expects nothing shall not be disappointed.

BigV 06-07-2017 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 988999)
Point well taken.

The initial post was simply true, and the follow up posts were here because it was easier to maintain the continuity through my phone in technologically and logistically difficult circumstances. I closed the loop just now, again, on *happy* point.

A new, different thread is due.

As promised.

glatt 06-14-2017 01:03 PM

Fucking tapatalk. Yay! You were helpful.

I recently started to get tons of ads in my tapatalk feed. I'd go to the cellar on my phone and every third post was actually a tapatalk ad. Fuckers.

So I went into the app store on apple and changed my review from a 5 star review to a 1 star review and complained about the latest update. How dare they serve me ads when I paid full price for the app?

They responded, and 3-4 emails later, including me providing proof of purchase, and they updated me to VIP membership for free.

I shouldn't be happy about this, because it's a net negative. They screwed me over and then stopped screwing me over after I jumped through some hoops. But it's the low expectations thing. I'm not getting ads any more. Yay!

Clodfobble 06-14-2017 01:48 PM

Oh man, I should try that. The new ads are a pain in the ass. Wonder if I can find my email receipt...

glatt 06-14-2017 02:01 PM

Send an email to Support <support@tapatalk.com> with a screenshot of your purchase history of the app.

Quote:

If you have purchased the app in the past and would like VIP (ad-free) status, please send us a screenshot of your purchase history, along with your Tapatalk ID.

Here is how to get your purchase history:

If you purchased Tapatalk through Google Play Store: https://support.google.com/googlepla.../2850369?hl=en

If you purchased Tapatalk through App store: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204088

Clodfobble 06-14-2017 10:17 PM

It worked! Thank you!!

glatt 06-15-2017 07:35 AM

Nice.

limey 06-15-2017 10:11 AM

Thanks, glatt! Giving this a go myself now - for both android and apple :D

Gravdigr 06-15-2017 03:34 PM

What's making you happy today?

No more TW. Not for me, anyway.

Gotta love that ignore list, man.

:jig:

Griff 06-16-2017 07:14 AM

I use a different tact. I scan for 85% if it's in there I know he hasn't thought out an actual reply.

monster 06-25-2017 08:13 PM

being there for my kids.

I was emancipated at 16, Beest and I have been together since we were 18, I had no idea adult kids can be independent and still need/want/appreciate occasional parental involvement. It's wonderful. :D

Clodfobble 06-25-2017 09:46 PM

That made me smile, monster. :) You guys are awesome.

xoxoxoBruce 06-25-2017 09:54 PM

It's the way you raised them, as a tight family with engaged parents. So I'll bet they will always be comfortable with you being involved, and bounce options off you for your opinion when making some decisions.

That said, I'm not sure about their future spouses if they weren't raised that way. You might be seen as an evil banana lady. :lol:

lumberjim 06-26-2017 02:24 AM

Think about how awesome you'd be if monster was your mom.

Think about it.

Shiver. I'd be the fucking president.

Griff 06-26-2017 06:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
monster crushes parenthood!

Happy I saw my kid this weekend.

monster 06-26-2017 09:06 PM

aw thanks guys, you just made me cry in a way that's so much nicer than the usual

xoxoxoBruce 07-06-2017 04:12 PM

I've located a stash of the last factory windshields for my truck in the world. Aftermarket windshields will seal out weather, but are a different shape that doesn't match the surrounding trim and looks like shit.
This glass being so rare, I'm paranoid about shipping a box that's 40" x 54" x 9". So even though it'll be more expensive, Tuesday I'll go to Ohio to fetch it. Win.:jig:

Gravdigr 07-06-2017 05:15 PM

This the SSR?

ETA: Gone to YouTube to watch the top go up & down.:D

Gravdigr 07-06-2017 05:17 PM

Heh, that's so cool.

DanaC 07-06-2017 05:41 PM

Tomorrow is day one of my holiday :)

I don't go back to work until 18th July.

Awesome.

limey 07-06-2017 05:43 PM

Wow! Have a great time and don't get bored now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sexobon 07-06-2017 05:46 PM

Alright, you'll be free to storm the Bastille!

xoxoxoBruce 07-07-2017 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 991932)
This the SSR?
ETA: Gone to YouTube to watch the top go up & down.:D

Yes.

Griff 07-07-2017 06:23 AM

Dana and Bruce's excellent SSR adventure?

Gravdigr 07-07-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 991937)
Tomorrow is day one of my holiday :)

I don't go back to work until 18th July.

Awesome.

:devil:

Doing anything special?

Gravdigr 07-07-2017 11:50 AM

What's making you happy today?

IT'S FRIDAY!!!!!!!!

And more importantly, it's Friday night!

glatt 07-07-2017 11:57 AM

I just learned that I'm getting a 3% raise starting this month. Woo! A quick lookup of the CPI shows 2.2% this year, so that's an actual real increase in income for me of 0.8%. I ain't gonna complain. This is good.

Gravdigr 07-07-2017 12:23 PM

Go, raise boy!

xoxoxoBruce 07-07-2017 12:30 PM

The family will have it spent before he gets home. :haha:

Griff 07-08-2017 08:19 AM

Congrat to glatt!

xoxoxoBruce 07-08-2017 01:23 PM

Yes, 3% of a couple hundred thousand is a good raise. ;)

henry quirk 07-14-2017 04:34 PM

http://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2017/...eartland-tour/

HA!

DanaC 07-14-2017 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 991975)
:devil:

Doing anything special?

Didn't see this :P

I've just been doing nice things. Half-day trips to local beauty spots and cool places with mum and the dogs, or seeing friends, interspersed with pottering and box sets :)

glatt 07-15-2017 01:25 PM

I got 8 hours of sleep last night.

The last time that happened was April 12th.