The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

footfootfoot 07-21-2011 08:31 PM

finally got to shoot my new Remington 870. It was so freaking hot today that the range master didn't show up so I and another guy ferreted around and found a dozen or so clays that hadn't busted and we threw them. I hit my last two.

Lola Bunny 07-21-2011 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 745630)
and it's not how you feel, but how you look...

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 745616)
I know I'm old. Luckily I'm still so freaking gorgeous...

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 745635)
I feel about 25. Is that good enough?

Why, you lucky woman. You feel young and is freaking gorgeous...:p:

infinite monkey 07-22-2011 07:23 AM

Not luck. Clean livin'.

:lol:

infinite monkey 08-01-2011 10:16 AM

As Bri is too, I'm sure, I'm so glad July is over. What a crappy month it's been. August, I love you!

Also making me happy, I'm soon to have one less broken thing in my place: my friend is fixing my sink and all I need to do is get a PVC pipe on my way home and my sink will be back in business. What a relief. I was like pioneer woman doing dishes (because dishwasher didn't get any water either): I'd have to wash, drain some water into a bucket, go pour the bucket in the toilet, go drain more water (about 3-4 buckets for each sinkful of water) etc and so on. What a pain. And he's fixing it just because he's a nice guy and a friend. I'll probably bake him some cookies or get him a 30-pack or something. :)

Nirvana 08-01-2011 10:26 AM

Oh wow IM I can't believe we are having the damn problem. Sadly I live with Mr UnHandy and I am the handy man. Part of my water line is plastic hose pipe and it has an "aneurism" I feel like the Amish here. Water pressure like a Chihuahua peeing! Off to Lowe's I go for 8 feet of steel reinforced hosing. Ohio is probably too far to go to borrow a handy man ;)

infinite monkey 08-01-2011 10:41 AM

I used to think I was handy, or I was at least stubborn enough to be all like "I can do it myself! Hmmph." But I've realized my limitations. Plumbing is one of them! These are times I don't mind playing the "single girl" card. ;)

Can I be you when I grow up?
:D

Nirvana 08-01-2011 10:47 AM

Plastic hose pipe doesn't require anything but a flat head screwdriver and hose clamps ;)

Totally out of my league to use pipe wrenches and pipe dope! Our problem with professionals is we are so rural they will come once and then claim its too far out of their region if we call again. :rolleyes:

infinite monkey 08-01-2011 10:49 AM

I read that as "nose clamps." :lol:

Yeah, glad I'm not friends with bankers and lawyers and doctors, my friends are rough and tumble constructiony peoples. ;)

Trilby 08-01-2011 01:04 PM

Amen on the goodbye to July!

Happy Lughnasadh to all my fellow Green Road travellers.

I'm going to make some corn bread (almost wrote crone bread - HA!)

If I was really crafty, i'd make a corn dolly.

wolf - can/do you make corn dolls???

footfootfoot 08-01-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 747744)
Happy Lughnasadh to all my fellow Green Road travellers.

Lughnasadh or Lunacy?

footfootfoot 08-01-2011 06:49 PM

I am happy because I just made the cut off for the bowhunting safety class by a few minutes before they closed registration.

I'm going for my bowhunting permit and a gun permit.

Trilby 08-01-2011 07:38 PM

I'm happy coz footfootfoot used a line of mine in his sig!

:)

Happy happy!

infinite monkey 08-01-2011 07:39 PM

You are weaponcentric these days. Is this new or have you just not talked about much before?

Though, I did love archery in HS. Just at paper targets though. I think there was straw behind that. :)

Nirvana 08-01-2011 08:42 PM

I had those thoughts too IM, didja see CSI Miami last nite? :eek:

DanaC 08-02-2011 04:47 AM

Archery has always really appealed to me.

Trilby 08-02-2011 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 747929)
Archery has always really appealed to me.

Because you're the re-incarnation of Robin Hood. :)

Sundae 08-02-2011 06:52 AM

One thing that REALLY made me snicker: reading on another site that a Brit had an American friend who found it hard to believe she lived in Nottingham. She thought it was an invented place (because of Disney's Robin Hood) like Narnia or Hogwarts.

My ex husband was an archer.
When things really collapsed between us I used his archery lessons as time to call my new paramour. Something I am more ashamed of now than I was then. Hang on, that's not happy thoughts!

I am happy to be home and with my boy again.
He hid for pretty much all the four days I was away.

Maureen next door did the early shift and did not see him at all.
My sis and a combination of niece and/or nephew came round in the afternoons and had to drag him out of bed, but he showed no interest in anything.
And the other Maureen came to feed him at teatime - he got out of bed for food but unless grabbed he went back to bed immediately.

Now I'm back and he's hardly stopped purring since.
Although in this sweaty heat he doesn't feel the need to sleep under my duvet.
Thank goodness!

footfootfoot 08-02-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 747853)
You are weaponcentric these days. Is this new or have you just not talked about much before?

I think I have turned a corner of sorts in my life. I have always really liked shooting but for many years I was not able to. The woodchuck was a gateway animal. According to my friend the Shaman, to put in new age terms I am asserting myself through my first chakra.
Quote:

The first chakra rules our PHYSICAL energies. Also known as the root chakra, it governs our vigor, heredity, survival, security, passion, money, job, and home. This chakra aids us in our everyday survival.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 747956)
My ex husband was an archer.
When things really collapsed between us I used his archery lessons as time to call my new paramour.

Umm, Sundae you're scaring the passengers.

Sundae 08-02-2011 09:29 AM

Don't shoot arrows your wife will cheat on you!

infinite monkey 08-02-2011 09:35 AM

I've long wanted a punching bag, like boxers use. I need chakra too.

(Wasn't that the name of the monkey boy on Land of the Lost?)

Sundae 08-02-2011 01:47 PM

THUNDER!
Smells like the weather is breaking!

And only the 2nd of August (our month for storms).
Well done, weather, nice & early.
Now you can stop being so bloody hot.

Where are my parents though?
Weird - they went out after dinner and have been gone over 30 minutes.
Not a Happy thing, although I don't mind it.
I'd just prefer to know when they'll be back, so I can stop running around with Mum's knickers on my head.

DanaC 08-02-2011 02:44 PM

That last line might need a little explaining...

Sundae 08-02-2011 02:57 PM

Really?
Don't everyone, given the chance, run about with their parents' underwear on their heads?

Actually, although it is only a joke, it is something known and accepted in my family.
Sometimes when the 'rents are away, Mum will call and I won't answer immediately. I'll say, "Sorry, I was running around with your underwear on my head."

Same when I'm away - Dad will answer and I'll question him closely about whether he is using my knickers as headwear.

I accept this might be odd.

Nirvana 08-02-2011 03:18 PM

I can't decide if its odd but its sure as hell funny! :lol:

Sundae 08-02-2011 03:25 PM

Meh, it probably is odd...
...but funny is better than calling the social workers...

:)

Pico and ME 08-02-2011 08:39 PM

Getting the water heater fixed only cost me $145. I was sure I was going to have to get a whole new one.

Trilby 08-03-2011 10:04 AM

I am so psyched!!

Just ordered series one of Case Histories ( based on the book by kate atkinson - thank you, again, sundae for introducing me to her awesome work!!)
on dvd and canNOT wait to watch it! got it thru amazonUK.

Sundae 08-03-2011 10:10 AM

Am still too scared to watch it!
Maybe I will, so I can thrill with you if it's good, and commiserate if it's bad...

BTW - check the postage if you want anything British next time.
If I can buy it and send it cheaper I will. Sometimes it's better to have it delivered to me and then have it sent on.

Trilby 08-03-2011 10:53 AM

thanks, re: postage. Same goes here, too; though last time I tried to send you a few cans of chili they wanted 95 dollars to mail it - remember?! SHEESH!

I saw a (very) small clip on the website and the guy playing Jackson looks exactly the way I imagine him looking and I just can't wait!! I bet it'll be good, sundae. If you wanna wait, I can watch then mail the dvd to you - dvd's being much cheaper to mail than a pound of chili!

Bullitt 08-04-2011 01:43 AM

People have been weirdly nice to myself and my partner at work the last week or so. Holding hospital doors and elevators, waving, smiling and saying hi. Random people on the street too. Had one ghetto lady leading 6 young kids out of Wendy's one day, she turned to the kids as we were walking in and said "Did you tell dose men thankyou!?" to them. The kids turned and said "Thank youuu!" all together.

It makes my day, but is still really weird. We're not used to that at all. We usually get little to no respect, on the road or otherwise. EMS is kind of the forgotten service behind FD and PD. And private EMS, which is what I currently work, even more so. So it's nice to get a couple random thank you's, regardless of how odd it seems.

Griff 08-04-2011 05:42 AM

Your fly is down.

grynch 08-04-2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

What's making you happy today?
the drugs have kicked in.

Bullitt 08-04-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 748476)
Your fly is down.

I knew something was up.

BigV 08-04-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 748091)
Really?
--snip--
I accept this might be odd.

your acceptance is not necessary. O_O

glatt 08-05-2011 08:24 AM

My father in law got accepted to the assisted living facility we wanted for him! Now we just have to make moving and transportation arrangements. This won't be hanging over my head for much longer, and I'll be able to go on a vacation as planned, even if it will be a couple days delayed.

Clodfobble 08-05-2011 09:30 AM

Hooray!

Big Sarge 08-06-2011 12:48 AM

I handed a wonderful chat with Lola Bunny today. She really brightened my day

HungLikeJesus 08-06-2011 09:08 AM

Handed? Is that SFW?

CzinZumerzet 08-06-2011 02:15 PM

Sitting here at home with a glass of red by my side and the rest of the bottle in the kitchen and tonight's Prom Concert will be starting on BBC2 in just under an hour. Mahler's 2nd Symphony. And such a beautiful evening.

DanaC 08-06-2011 02:18 PM

Hiya Caz!

Sounds delightful :)

footfootfoot 08-06-2011 02:27 PM

I like to think of myself as not being a competitive person. Today I saw that was kind of a fantasy when I took my bow-hunter education test. I was highly stoked that I finished 10 minutes before everyone else (54 students) and got a 100. Finishing first would have meant nothing w/o the 100.

Next week is regular hunter safety.

Now I have to find a bunch of people who will let me hunt on them's property.

Sundae 08-06-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 748686)
My father in law got accepted to the assisted living facility we wanted for him!

Good work, Glatt. Taking control of a parent's future is a tough call.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 748816)
I had a wonderful chat with Lola Bunny today. She really brightened my day

Having spoken to Lola and you, I expect the feeling is mutual. You're both great to talk to.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CzinZumerzet (Post 748915)
Sitting here at home with a glass of red by my side and the rest of the bottle in the kitchen and tonight's Prom Concert will be starting on BBC2 in just under an hour. Mahler's 2nd Symphony. And such a beautiful evening.

Oh to be beside the seaside, beside the sea.
I am listening to 5 Live (which has no interest for me on a Saturday night) because I don't know how to retune my radio. And no wine. And FAR inland.

But am relaxed and feeling okay about being halfway between being full and being hungry. A destination I would fill with cheese and crackers if I wasn't on a diet.

Don't get me wrong, I was drooling over a take-away menu three hours ago, but I'm better than that, stronger than that.... ie I still wished I'd ordered it when Mum was out & scoffed the lot. That's why we're in this together.

ZenGum 08-06-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 748919)

Now I have to find a bunch of people who won't hear the sound of a bow.

footfootfoot 08-06-2011 07:32 PM

What is the season and bag limit for Zen monks?

ZenGum 08-06-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 748959)
What is the season and bag limit for Zen monks?

Well, it's tricky.

The season is the eternal now moment, so you're probably good for that.

The bag limit is at once zero, one and infinity. That is harder but any game warden will have even more trouble with it than you, so you're probably good there, too.

The catch is, you have to hunt them with a bow that shoots in a forest when there is no-one around, and that includes you. So the only way to operate one is to achieve a state of "no mind" in which your Self disappears. To do this you must first become a Zen monk. Which means that when you go hunting for Zen monks, the first one you find is you.

Now you see why the problem with the bag limit never really comes up.

footfootfoot 08-06-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 748960)
Well, it's tricky.

The season is the eternal now moment, so you're probably good for that.

The bag limit is at once zero, one and infinity. That is harder but any game warden will have even more trouble with it than you, so you're probably good there, too.

The catch is, you have to hunt them with a bow that shoots in a forest when there is no-one around, and that includes you. So the only way to operate one is to achieve a state of "no mind" in which your Self disappears. To do this you must first become a Zen monk. Which means that when you go hunting for Zen monks, the first one you find is you.

Now you see why the problem with the bag limit never really comes up.

Yes. The moment you draw the bow you are mountains and rivers away from it.

twang!
target falls away,
thwap!
archer falls away
Who is left to gut the harvest?

glatt 08-06-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 748686)
My father in law got accepted to the assisted living facility we wanted for him! Now we just have to make moving and transportation arrangements. This won't be hanging over my head for much longer, and I'll be able to go on a vacation as planned, even if it will be a couple days delayed.

Well, I spoke a little too soon about the vacation. I'm really happy we have a place for my FIL, but I was a little naive about how easily it would be to make the move. There are so many details!

Had to cancel the vacation, but we'll probably take a long weekend somewhere or something. The good news is that the stress is gone now that he's in.

As an aside, did you know medical ground transport from NYC area to DC area is in the neighborhood of $5k? Amazing. We're probably going to move him in a wheelchair on Amtrak. It's faster and about as convenient.

ZenGum 08-06-2011 10:50 PM

UPS?

Bullitt 08-06-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 748969)
As an aside, did you know medical ground transport from NYC area to DC area is in the neighborhood of $5k? Amazing. We're probably going to move him in a wheelchair on Amtrak. It's faster and about as convenient.

I believe it. A standard ALS run for my company runs around $700. And that's for trips around 10 miles. Then you add mileage on top of that, specialized equipment like ventilators, any medications used en route, # of crew needed (bariatric pts needing up to 6 people, or long distances requiring a third EMT or sometimes a whole second crew), and you can get into some pretty high numbers. My longest trip was from Akron, OH to Allentown, PA. 380 miles one way. Severe burn pediatric pt. Don't even want to know the bill for that one.

Pete Zicato 08-08-2011 02:55 PM

This. In the cellar health thread. But I'm jazzed enough it had to go here too.

chrisinhouston 08-08-2011 06:11 PM

The AC repairman came and solved the problem only 1 hour after my call on a day in Houston where it is 100 degrees F. And it only cost $130 and he told me how to resolve the issue myself very inexpensively so it won't happen againg.

And he gave me the winning lottery numbers for the 13 million dollar jackpot and a cure for cancer! What a guy!

Griff 08-08-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 749160)
This. In the cellar health thread. But I'm jazzed enough it had to go here too.

Awesome!

Big Sarge 08-12-2011 12:35 PM

I'm so freaking happy!!!!! I got 2 cards and a gift from Sundae. Plus she has promised me a video of her & her new puppet. WOW!!! This is friggin' awesome.!!

infinite monkey 08-12-2011 01:04 PM

I found it I found it I found it.

After two harrowing weeks and hundreds of spreadsheet manipulations, I finally found the last $2000+ to reconcile the 80 million disbursed for that particular aid year.

It was down to the wire. An unforeseen problem made itself evident as I was doing the final crunching. It was a mess. You just keep whittling away and hope you whittle to the right spot. I had to get a week's extension. But it's done.

And I know what to fix to make it go better for the next year's reconciliation, which I'm starting on right now.

I was trying everything. I had anxiety attacks. I threw my hands up in the air. I teared up a time or two. But I finally found it. When I added up the final numbers on my adding machine and they finally equaled what is on record with the Dept...I almost yelled for joy!

I can keep my job for another week or two. ;)

Whew.

HungLikeJesus 08-12-2011 01:09 PM

Adding machine?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ng_machine.jpg

Maybe that's the problem.

infinite monkey 08-12-2011 01:18 PM

I might try chisenbop next time. ;)

Sundae 08-12-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 749870)
I'm so freaking happy!!!!! I got 2 cards and a gift from Sundae. Plus she has promised me a video of her & her new puppet. WOW!!! This is friggin' awesome.!!

Why does it always arrive all at once?
I sent Bri a postcard too, and she got it aaaaaages ago!

Still, better a mini bonanza than nothing at all :)

Working on the puppet video.
Don't expect anything other than rank amateurism, and me giggling all over the place! It's nothing like The Sound of Music - just me with a fluffy, squawky hand puppet, making a racket.

I intend to use it to help choose things next school year - as part of taking turns and sharing. What child wouldn't concede to a big pink rackety bird? Or her puppet?

Glad they got there in the end!

glatt 08-12-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 749875)
I found it I found it I found it.

Excellent.

Sundae 08-12-2011 01:32 PM

Infi - I've been up to the wire on reconciliations before too.

Nothing like the pressure you're under, but due to my problem with numbers they made me extremely stressed. Which apparently translated into fierce. I've never been feared anywhere I've worked before. By the time I found out, I was back to my normal cheery helpful self. Wish I could've milked it...

Big Sarge 08-12-2011 01:34 PM

Mine can take longer because I use a mail service and I only get my mail once a week. You made me so, so happy