The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Griff 09-18-2014 08:24 PM

Excellent.

Gravdigr 09-19-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 909929)
...he literally fell asleep with his cup of ice still held aloft, and accidentally dumped ice water all over his own face and woke up screaming.

:lol2: I shouldn't have, but I did. Sorry. I feel for the boy, I've had serious sleep problems my entire life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 909969)
What is the skin cream?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 909972)
ETHER

:lol2:..Hey, son, does this handkerchief smell like chloroform?..:lol2:

Gravdigr 09-19-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 909974)
...It also ain't cheap...

:3_eyes:

footfootfoot 09-19-2014 06:23 PM

Cool. That stuff is an analog of Gabapentin, the stuff I take for RLS and sleep. I might try that instead.

That is so great minifob is able to sleep! Not sleeping is awful.

Clodfobble 09-19-2014 08:48 PM

Of course as soon as I fucking say anything, I jinx it. Last night was borderline. Fell asleep around 9:45, woke up at 2:00 but fell back asleep within an hour (because NPR auto shuts off after one hour, and he didn't turn it on again.) But it was raining, and rain always screws him up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot
That stuff is an analog of Gabapentin, the stuff I take for RLS and sleep. I might try that instead.

The weird thing is, he tried both GABA and 5-HTP in the past, and he didn't react well to them. But at the time we were giving it in the daytime to try to decrease hyperactivity, rather than as a sleep aid, and they were both oral instead of the magical gross skin cream. Plus, it was years ago, and things are always changing.

footfootfoot 09-20-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 910096)
Of course as soon as I fucking say anything, I jinx it. Last night was borderline. Fell asleep around 9:45, woke up at 2:00 but fell back asleep within an hour (because NPR auto shuts off after one hour, and he didn't turn it on again.) But it was raining, and rain always screws him up.

The weird thing is, he tried both GABA and 5-HTP in the past, and he didn't react well to them. But at the time we were giving it in the daytime to try to decrease hyperactivity, rather than as a sleep aid, and they were both oral instead of the magical gross skin cream. Plus, it was years ago, and things are always changing.

Re-reading my post I meant that I might try the cream, not suggesting minifob try gabapentin. I figured with his gut you probably don't want to upset the balance needlessly.

Clodfobble 09-21-2014 08:33 AM

Oh yeah, I understood that. I was just sort of musing about gabapentin in general. Shit's been weird here and I've been doing a lot of internal processing on meds and symptoms and emerging research, trying to tease out patterns that might indicate something meaningful for us.

footfootfoot 09-22-2014 05:49 PM

Maybe if you let a chicken peck his gut...

elSicomoro 09-26-2014 09:57 PM

The Kansas City Royals are going to the playoffs for the first time in 29 years!!!

:king:

BigV 09-28-2014 11:09 AM

I have fair weather for the rear brakes replacement job I'm starting this morning.

BigV 09-28-2014 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 910742)
I have fair weather for the rear brakes replacement job I'm starting this morning.

Mission accomplished. $30.

And two trips to the store.

Nirvana 09-29-2014 10:33 AM

Critters chewed the wires on my truck which is better than a trannny job.

glatt 09-29-2014 10:44 AM

You would think critters would have better things to chew.

xoxoxoBruce 09-30-2014 03:42 PM

To reduce petrochems they use a lot of soybean oil in the plastic insulation of wiring, something like 30%. Critters find it tasty.

DanaC 10-03-2014 03:57 PM

Two things - got a card from Sundae *cheers* she seems to be doing well and I am hoping to visit her very soon.

Also - on this evening's shift, I signed up three regular donors *dances around in delight* and also a one off credit card donation. This makes me very happy because, though I have mainly been hitting my target (5% conversion - @2 signups per 4 hour shift) I felt like I was lagging behind some of the other team members. Three signups is my personal record and I feel great about it :)

Also - just to add to that last bit of happy - this is without doubt the most fun and worthwhile telesales job I have ever done - and I have worked a looooot of telesales jobs in my time. The company is awesome: really ethical, very supportive, great sense of a team working together and a real feeling that what we are doing is worthwhile. We have regular team meeting through conference call and they're always a really good laugh. The team leaders and trainers are all lovely.

I know a lot of charity telesales is done through call centres and the workers have to be really pushy and meet very high targets - some of them are trained to keep pushing and not to put the phone down until either they have objection handled at least three times, or the customer hangs up on them. We are told to objection handle once - twice if we feel we have enough rapport to do so without causing ill feeling and always try to leave them with a good experience of the charity - much better to not get the sale than to give someone a bad impression of the charity. Similarly, any doubt in our minds about somneone possibly being vulnerable (dementia or something like) then back away and don't pursue - or if not sure, can pursue but then ask the teamleader to listen to a recording of the call and possibly not put the deal through.

The charity we are calling for has access through the rapport system to any of our calls whilst we are working - they can listen in at any time - so they're able to operate an intime quality control and that really does make for a much cleaner operation.

I don't think I've ever looked forward to my shift in telesales before. But I really enjoy this. It's brilliant, after I've maybe spent a few hours working alone on my thesis to then drop onto a few hours talking to people about air ambulances :)

My only gripe right now is that because I am running Vista the software is only partly compatible - it works, except for the chat function which only updates intermittently - so sometimes I feel a little cut off from the rest of the team. Hoping to get an upgrade to Windows 7 soon though and then I'll be able to participate in the team chat whilst I work :)