The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Gravdigr 03-26-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 985165)
the owner comped our meal and drinks for four.

Awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 985169)
Only the highest calibre of ladies and gentlemen tip the dinner band. :thumbsup:

Sounds like patting m'self on the back, but, if they're good, I always send the band drinks at some point.

Helps get your requests played.

Gravdigr 03-26-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 985165)
the owner comped our meal and drinks for four.

Awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 985169)
Only the highest calibre of ladies and gentlemen tip the dinner band. :thumbsup:

Sounds like patting m'self on the back, but, if they're good, I always, a lot of times, will send the band drinks at some point.

So, Toad is wrong about that "highest calibre" bit.;)

Helps get your requests played, though.

xoxoxoBruce 03-26-2017 01:45 PM

Not patting myself, Relieving the embarrassment of the waitress getting stiffed on the bottom line... what's 30% of 0?
The three piece Jazz combo? Well jazz is not my forte, the only thing I could request is "Take Five" and that might be an insult. :lol:
The guy who was I presumed the leader, playing an upright piano, and was dressed perfectly for an 1890 NOLA whorehouse.
They were nice to listen to with no urge to sing along or intrusive on conversations... just a little toe tapping. ;)
Oh, and when the ambient noise overwhelms my hearing aids so I can't follow the conversation (or get bored with it) I could crane my neck a little like I was watching the band and not seem rude. Worth every penny. :blush:

BigV 03-26-2017 01:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
What's making me happy today is the memory of my experience with these lovely women yesterday.

Me and Twil!
Attachment 59863

Me and Oh So Final and Moe Yadown, two members of my favorite team on the Rat City Rollergirls, the Sockit Wenches.
Attachment 59864

Gravdigr 03-27-2017 04:17 AM

Sockit Wenches...

:lol2:

Undertoad 03-31-2017 10:11 AM

The successor to the Hubble Space Telescope, the James Webb Space Telescope, will be launched in October 2018; and if all goes well, will help work out some of the hardest current questions about the nature of the universe.

glatt 03-31-2017 10:28 AM

That's cool.

Gravdigr 03-31-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 985620)
...some of the hardest current questions about the nature of the universe.

Those answers and explanations will only lead to more questions about the nature of the universe.:o

Undertoad 03-31-2017 11:40 AM

Really really cool! I was listening to that guy Lawrence Krauss on it

They want to study exploding stars (supernovas) to work out the nature of the universe.

There's one exploding star every 100 years PER GALAXY.

So how do you find an exploding star? Because the universe is very big and old, if you hold up a dime, and extend your arm out, and aim it up into the sky, that dime's worth of area will contain like 3 exploding stars.

glatt 03-31-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 985640)
if you hold up a dime, and extend your arm out, and aim it up into the sky, that dime's worth of area will contain like 3 exploding stars.

In that instant of time? In a day? A year? A century?

I think it's really really cool as well, but it's something that we'll see in a couple years. So doesn't have that immediacy for me.

I'm going camping this weekend with the troop. The rain is supposed to be tapering off just as we get there, and Saturday looks acceptable in terms of weather.

Undertoad 03-31-2017 12:05 PM

oh uh yeah i dunno, i figured it was just how many are in the process, i dunno how long it takes them to explode

glatt 03-31-2017 12:06 PM

Oh, yeah. Good point. They probably take a while to explode.

DanaC 03-31-2017 05:17 PM

Nope

Quote:

Most supernova take a fraction of a second up to a couple seconds to explode. What we observe as the actual supernova is the light and energy that come out of that explosion. Typical supernova get brighter during the first 3 weeks or so after that very fast explosion.
http://askanastronomer.org/stars/201...ploding-stars/

xoxoxoBruce 03-31-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 985620)
The successor to the Hubble Space Telescope, the James Webb Space Telescope, will be launched in October 2018; and if all goes well, will help work out some of the hardest current questions about the nature of the universe.

Yes, the star of stars, but note the only answer.

Gravdigr 04-01-2017 04:05 PM

It's time to feed the head.