The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   The Internet (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Social media censorship roundup (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34718)

Undertoad 02-27-2020 12:46 PM

New applicants for moderator must:

- Be in good standing with our Safety team (e.g., no account suspensions in past year)
- Have at least 1000 total karma
- Have at least 500 karma in the_donald
- Not have more than 500 karma in quarantined subreddits (aside from the_donald) or subreddits banned for rule violations (not including communities banned for being unmodded)
- Have at least 1 month experience moderating a subreddit in good standing
- Not be an alt of any ineligible accounts

Perhaps not so "strange", in the sense that these might be rules they would come up with, but certainly "strange" in that these rules were constructed just for the management of this one subreddit.

I've participated in a quarantined sub before (not that one; I've never participated in the_donald) and my opinion is that the quarantining of the sub I was in was absolutely arbitrary, and almost certainly just a bias on the "Safety team"'s behalf. Reddit now intends to expand its quarantining program. Let's see if it pays off.

Happy Monkey 02-27-2020 12:56 PM

As they grow, they're just discovering the tragedy of the commons.

Those look like a pretty good rule set, assuming the karma numbers are good (I have no reference point), and as long as there exist places to get the one month experience if it expands.

Luce 02-27-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1047441)
Let's see if it pays off.

By "pays off" do you mean "drives away their user base"?

Undertoad 02-27-2020 03:25 PM

More in the meme sense, intended to be ironic/sarcastic (click the image for more information)

http://cellar.org/img/boldstrategy.jpg

Undertoad 03-14-2020 10:02 AM

Count Dankula recently received a "strike" on YouTube for his original "Nazi Pug" joke video...

...which YouTube itself took down last year.

Also, and I find this to be absolutely stunning, let's say you wanted to see that video to figure out what the fuss was about.

Please compare the Google results for the search "count dankula pug video"

and the Bing results for the same search

Bing is useful, Google is not, because Google is extending YouTube's censorship practices to the video results of its own searches.

Undertoad 04-01-2020 02:15 PM

Canada has requested and gotten a country-level ban of the cannabis review subreddit r/CanadianMOMs.

Partly in response, users joined the subreddit /r/GeographicCensorship. It was immediately banned... entirely.

Undertoad 04-17-2020 09:42 AM

Not censorship by Instagram, but censorship OF Instagram:

A Wisconsin teen had a severe respiratory illness; doctors told her she was tested too late in the cycle to determine it, but that it had likely been COVID-19.

She posted about it on Instagram.

Her school then complained to the local sheriff. A police Sergeant went to her house and ordered her to delete her posts or he'd arrest her and/or her parents.

Sheriff and Sarge are now being sued by the parents -- for nominal damages, but more importantly, for the injunction saying they can't be cited or arrested for posting on Instagram.

This is entirely a First Amendment issue. Let's stop this country from becoming the UK.

https://www.will-law.org/will-sues-m...ech-violation/

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...st/5145087002/

Griff 04-17-2020 11:32 AM

That's more like turning the lights on in a crowded theater...

tw 04-17-2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1051071)
A Wisconsin teen had a severe respiratory illness; doctors told her she was tested too late in the cycle to determine it, but that it had likely been COVID-19.

Doctors are saying that tests do exist to determine someone was infected. But tests to determine that one is infected and other tests to determine that someone was infected remain mostly unavailable in America.

Tests are available in other nations whose leaders decided to address this problem. Those nations are able to recover from this pandemic faster. But doctors repeatedly say they do not understand why those tests are not readily available in America.

Both tests are essential to end a pandemic. Testing could have determined if Amyiah had been infected. But not in Wisconsin? That is essential news that all decent (moderate) Americans would understand. Our health care industry is still denied materials required to diminish or eliminate Covid-19.

Apparently a Sherriff fears we might learn.

Tests would have been available if a government was led by someone with more than a 30 second attention span.

Was he a Republican Sherriff? A relevant question now that so many have become extremists. Extremists (ie Fox News) even declared Covid-19 as fake news in March when Amyiah was getting infected.

85% of all problems are directly traceable to top management. Someone with a 30 second attention span should be understand that much.

Undertoad 04-17-2020 12:57 PM

As of today over 3,400,000 tests have been performed in America

The young lady in question WAS tested

Her test came back negative, and the medical speculation was that she had COVID, but the test was taken after her viral load had already dropped

Antibody tests completed development about three weeks ago and are just now coming online

Undertoad 04-17-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

Was he a Republican Sherriff? A relevant question now that so many have become extremists
Marquette County Sheriff Zybert is a Democrat

Griff 04-17-2020 01:33 PM

Many flavors of extremist out there. I really wish folks could join Team America or Team Humanity instead of this Red Blue dichotomy because it's easy to re-elect extremists like Trump and McConnell when Democrats insist all Republicans are evil and treat them that way.

Luce 04-17-2020 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1051085)
Many flavors of extremist out there. I really wish folks could join Team America or Team Humanity instead of this Red Blue dichotomy because it's easy to re-elect extremists like Trump and McConnell when Democrats insist all Republicans are evil and treat them that way.

Well, after being called every name in the book by republicans since 1979, it is really easy to forget civility.

Just putting that out there.

Griff 04-17-2020 09:13 PM

I definitely hear you. I’d just like the country not to burn after we beat these assholes. Watching the Limbaugh, Hannity, Levine posts on Facebook isn’t giving me much hope though.

Luce 04-17-2020 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1051096)
I definitely hear you. I’d just like the country not to burn after we beat these assholes. Watching the Limbaugh, Hannity, Levine posts on Facebook isn’t giving me much hope though.

Frankly, I don't see the country remaining a single political entity much longer. A couple of years, maybe.