The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Mornington Crescent (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13290)

limey 02-09-2007 04:42 PM

A very crafty play, glatt. It seems that both you and UT (who also seems to have an excellent grasp of the rules) are born exponents of the game. I may have been mistaken in giving such a generous opening move ...

limey 02-09-2007 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefoot serpent (Post 314348)
does Stoke-on-Trent count?

Don't think that no-one noticed your ingenious move to Stoke on Trent, barefoot serpent; you almost put UT in knip.

Cloud 02-09-2007 10:35 PM

Okay, I've had to cheat a little, and get help from my grandson, since my copy of the Finsbury rules has a big--unidentified--stain obscuring the section on permissible counters to knips, and loops, which I need.

They are teaching his class MC as a memory and strategy aide, based on a text called, "Let's Play Morningstar Crescent: Simplified American Standard." Based on his help (he's 7):

Shepherd's Bush to block.

monster 02-09-2007 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 314434)
Okay, I've had to cheat a little, and get help from my grandson.

Grandson? GRANDSON? I need to see picture proof you're old enough to have a grandson.
Preferably nekkid picture proof.

Oh Mornington Crescent? Hmmmm

Shepherd's Bush was ruled PG13 and as such is unacceptable in the basic verion of the game. I believe that puts you in Knip and offers me the opportunity to sneak in a quick World Trade Center :eek: I sense an Aldwych coming on.....

Cloud 02-09-2007 11:41 PM

I beg your pardon, Monster, but I believe your interpretation of the rules is incorrect. Certainly, I'm older than 13 (with FIVE and 3/4 grandchildren, no less), so Shepherd's Bush should be a perfectly acceptable move.

However, in the spirit of cooperation, and given that most of us are still learning the ins and outs, I'm going to ask for someone to offer me a trade-up play, in return for a--I think it's called a one-over?--so I can get myself out of knip, thank you very much.

some help from the more experienced players might be nice. Show us newbies how it's done!

monster 02-09-2007 11:49 PM

Could we compromise with World Trade Center but no Knip and I'll protect you against Aldwych?

(There are no newbies -Limey was just trying the sucker-punch)

Cloud 02-09-2007 11:53 PM

That's sounds fair. As I understand it, two players can cooperate on a one-over, as long as there are no loops in play. I suck at games, sorry.

except for Trivial Pursuit. I kick ass at Trivial Pursuit! not the music version, though.

limey 02-11-2007 02:41 PM

In the recent definitive match of Smy vs. Smye manouevres like this were brought into question, though I think that was quite understandable as there were only two players in the game.
This game is developing along an interesting trajectory, with the translatlantic stamp certainly making a difference to the moves chosen - I'll venture into new territory myself and suggest advancing to Greenwich Village ...

Undertoad 02-11-2007 03:45 PM

Am I a novice or is that a disqualification?

Cloud 02-11-2007 05:32 PM

Assuming your advance is an actual play, rather than a "suggestion," Limey, I believe that introduces a North-South vulnerabilty. Therefore, my next move will be to:

Walthamstow Central.

limey 02-11-2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 314760)
Am I a novice or is that a disqualification?

You are right, UT, I shouldn't have presented the move as a "suggestion". I am sure that you have referred to the reports of the 1826 friendly transatlantic tournament between teams from Horse Springs (USA) and Altrincham (UK) in which this matter was clarified in a friendly manner. I stand corrected and will make no more suggestions, only actual moves.

Undertoad 02-11-2007 06:46 PM

Phew... I'd hoped I wasn't speaking out of turn.

monster 02-11-2007 07:00 PM

Well clearly the only sensible move to be made from Wathamstow is direct to Grange Hill -the Bronson Memorial Manoover (sic). Get out of that one!

SteveDallas 02-11-2007 07:33 PM

You've got it backwards I'm afraid... the Bronson Memorial Manoover, if that's really what you want to do, would require you to move to Cockfosters.

monster 02-11-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 314832)
You've got it backwards I'm afraid... the Bronson Memorial Manoover, if that's really what you want to do, would require you to move to Cockfosters.

I think you're a little confused -that's the Brisley Maneuver, also known as the Brown Line Detour.

http://tv.cream.org/arkwelimages/gh.gif