The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   The Internet (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Social media censorship roundup (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34718)

Luce 01-24-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry quirk (Post 1045415)
The employers (the private citizens) know the employees (the elected folk) are fuckin' around. Some care, many don't.

Domestication.

Naw, I mean employers.

Corporations. Small business. Whatever.

Humans are not meant to be farmed?

henry quirk 01-24-2020 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luce (Post 1045419)
Humans are not meant to be farmed?

Only when makin' Soylent Green.

xoxoxoBruce 01-24-2020 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry quirk (Post 1045404)
"The government is not only a regulator, but a participant in the market."

Yeah, it interferes up and down the line: as regulator, standard-setter, participant; as enforcer, as restrictor, as thief.

And the one thing it should be doin' (contract arbitration) it does poorly cuz it's mixed up in all the other nonsense I list above.

Not it or it's, the government is not singular, the government is an assembly of thousands of agencies, departments, and bureaus. You're making the mistake of thinking one knows what the other is doing when in fact they hardly know the other exists.

Luce 01-25-2020 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1045437)
Not it or it's, the government is not singular, the government is an assembly of thousands of agencies, departments, and bureaus. You're making the mistake of thinking one knows what the other is doing when in fact they hardly know the other exists.

Companies are the same way, after a certain size.

The left tentacle never knows what the right tentacle is doing.

xoxoxoBruce 01-25-2020 09:26 AM

Some CEOs use that to make the tentacles compete.

henry quirk 01-25-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1045437)

Actually, gov is made up of thousands of individuals, employees, each and every one, all tasked supposedly to manage resources of one kind or another, each supposedly lent a certain amount of power to accomplish that management.

Shouldn't matter that this one doesn't know that one if all are equally pointed in the same direction and serve the same master.

The employees, elected and appointed, however, don't serve: they rule, and they do it under the umbrella of, hefting the Big Stick of, government.

#

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luce
Companies are the same way, after a certain size.

Sure. Here's the difference: companies can't jail you if you object and decline to do business with 'em.

Luce 01-27-2020 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1045459)
Some CEOs use that to make the tentacles compete.

Yeah, AT&T started that in the 80s. It worked out well, by which I mean "That was effectively the end of AT&T."

Same thing happened to Sears.

Luce 01-27-2020 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry quirk (Post 1045462)
Sure. Here's the difference: companies can't jail you if you object and decline to do business with 'em.

You're technically correct. They have the government do that for them.

henry quirk 01-27-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry quirk
companies can't jail you if you object and decline to do business with 'em.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luce
You're technically correct. They have the government do that for them.

I'll wait for you to foist up a single verifiable example of a company havin' the gov jail someone cuz that someone declined to do business with with that company...but I won't hold my breath.

Luce 01-27-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry quirk (Post 1045555)
I'll wait for you to foist up a single verifiable example of a company havin' the gov jail someone cuz that someone declined to do business with with that company...but I won't hold my breath.

Ever get caught driving without insurance?

henry quirk 01-27-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luce (Post 1045558)
Ever get caught driving without insurance?

If Progressive could have me arrested for not doin' business with Progressive, you'd have a point. But they can't, so you don't.

Luce 01-27-2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry quirk (Post 1045562)
If Progressive could have me arrested for not doin' business with Progressive, you'd have a point. But they can't, so you don't.

You are forced to purchase a product in their industry. So they get to keep the same percentage of a market share that is mandate to buy that product as they had prior to the mandate.

In other words, as each state made it mandatory, everyone in the industry suddenly made more money.

So it counts, unless you split hairs for a living.

henry quirk 01-27-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luce (Post 1045563)
You are forced to purchase a product in their industry. So they get to keep the same percentage of a market share that is mandate to buy that product as they had prior to the mandate.

In other words, as each state made it mandatory, everyone in the industry suddenly made more money.

So it counts, unless you split hairs for a living.

So, if I go to trial (cuz I won't insure, won't pay fines, and keep drivin'): is it 'me vs the insurance company' or 'me vs the state'?

Luce 01-27-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry quirk (Post 1045569)
So, if I go to trial (cuz I won't insure, won't pay fines, and keep drivin'): is it 'me vs the insurance company' or 'me vs the state'?

You vs the state. It is a criminal action, not a civil one.

henry quirk 01-27-2020 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luce (Post 1045570)
You vs the state. It is a criminal action, not a civil one.

Exactly: I offend against the state, not the business.

When I'm tried, and found guilty, the fine I pay is to the state: I pay no compensation to the business.

And, the final nail: if I have no car, then I don't have to buy insurance.

I get your point, but you're wrong.