The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Sundae 01-08-2013 01:08 PM

Oh yes, lesson well and truly learned.
One day at a time.

Got my camera back as well - I really missed it!

footfootfoot 01-08-2013 03:02 PM

What lesson? I missed a serious plot point.

BigV 01-08-2013 03:10 PM

pssst. can I copy your notes when they tell you?

Sundae 01-09-2013 02:11 PM

It's round here somewhere.
Not laid out specifically in black and white.
Happy Thread is not the place for it anyway.

Suffice to say I am happy and healthy/ ier and intend to stay that way.

BigV 01-09-2013 02:18 PM

Psssst... Thanks

glatt 01-14-2013 11:16 AM

As I was driving to an eye appointment this morning, I kept hearing a weird clunk coming from the back of the car, especially going over bumps. Kind of a rattle clunk noise, like something was loose. But the car was behaving normally. I rolled the window down to listen as I drove along, and kept hearing it whenever I went over a little bump or dip in the road. Then, about half a mile after leaving our driveway, I heard a louder clunk, and a rattle, and then heard something drop off the car and clatter onto the pavement. Traffic was heavy and there was nowhere safe to pull over, so I kept driving, but the car sounded and felt normal. I drove another mile to the appointment. When I pulled into a parking space I kind of looked under the car, but everything seemed fine. Weird.

So I went inside and got my eyes checked out. My eyes are the same. That's good. They didn't get any worse. But they are typical middle aged eyes, so they could be better.

So on the drive home, traffic was much lighter. I made a U turn where the car lost whatever it was, and parked the car. Then I walked along the road, to see if I could find what dropped off the car. I found a really nice pair of professional quality pliers lying in the gutter. I guess when they fixed our rear brakes recently to pass inspection, they left some pliers up in the suspension. The shop was only two blocks from our house, and my wife must not have noticed the clunking when she picked the car up from the mechanic. This was the first time we drove it since then.

I'll get under the car and look at the brakes when the ground dries out a little bit, but the car drove and stopped just fine, even backing up fast. We almost never drive this car, so there's no rush to inspect these brakes.

The pliers are nice Snap-On pliers. Better than any other pliers I own. Do I return them? Or keep them?

BigV 01-14-2013 11:21 AM

I keep all tools I find lying on the street. If you don't want them, I'll take them off your hands.

xoxoxoBruce 01-14-2013 11:31 AM

You can't even be sure that's what you heard, might be a coincidence. Keep 'em, any mechanic that doesn't inventory his/her tools at the end of the job, deserves to loose them. Not just to keep from having to replace tools, they can do serious damage to the vehicle... or in this case, a vehicle following.

Aliantha 01-14-2013 03:27 PM

I probably would return them. Especially if the mechanic was local.

You can't buy goodwill.

Trilby 01-14-2013 03:35 PM

Big puppy dog eyes WWJD? Big puppy dog eyes

Clodfobble 01-14-2013 05:57 PM

On the other hand, returning them might get whatever technician who was stupid enough to leave them there fired. He wouldn't appreciate the narc, I bet.

footfootfoot 01-14-2013 06:52 PM

Most mechanics own their own tools. Especially something like pliers. He could jsut go to the shop and say "I'd like to talk to the guy who worked on my car for a moment." Then ask him if he's missing any tools. See where it goes from there.

jimhelm 01-14-2013 07:14 PM

Say you found them under your seat. Must have fallen out of his pocket.

ZenGum 01-14-2013 07:54 PM

If he didn't check for his pliers, what else didn't he check?

Shove the pliers back in the suspension, take the car back saying it sounds funny.

Or, like, keep em, as payment in kind for the discount he owes you for not having done his job thoroughly.

Jaydaan 01-15-2013 12:35 AM

It has been 11 days since my dorky dogs ate the mouse poison (and threw it up with help from myself and my son)
Not one symptom, not one bit of bruising or bleeding, or anything! The vet said I caught it faster than most people, and was impressed I even had times from ingestion to well.. yuck LOL. hubby said when it happened we would not have an issue because of how fast we reacted... but there was still a little bit of "what if" in the back of my mind. The usual time frame was 7-10 days, max, so I am now sure they are fine.

Its also been one week since Loki was hit by that car. He didn't even limp, or whimper or have any bruises or hurts it seems. I saw my 85 lbs dog go flying in the air... but apparently sprinting boxers on snow... bounce! I would not have ever guessed it, but they do. At least this one did, this time and I for one will make sure there is not a repeat if at all possible, thank you very much.

Mama on the other hand is walking with a cane, and in pain most times. But thats another issue. The dogs are healthy, no side effects and no extra vet bills. Yay Loki and Aesa.

BigV 01-15-2013 03:50 AM

Excellent news! So happy!

For myself? It's 1:49 and I have another 135 pages to go. :D

DanaC 01-15-2013 04:01 AM

Great news Jay. I was going to post asking for an update, but you beat me to it :)

Did you get Loki checked out for unseen damage after the car hit? I only ask because my Pilau got himself into a couple of nasty situations. Once he tried to herd a 4x4 car and ended up half sliding under the car between the front and rear wheels. Fortunately, they were already slowing for a junction, so he just got clipped by the back wheel. Seemed fine, no injuries. Couple of years later, he fell of a cliff. Only a small one, maybe a 20 foot drop. Scared the shit out of me and mum, but he bounced back up seemingly fine.

It was later on, when he was older that he started to have problems, and those accidents had most likely caused minor injuries we weren't aware of but which became weaknesses and sites for arthritis and further injury. We probably couldn't have done much had we known, but we could perhaps have got him some anti inflammatories and enforced some rest to promote better healing.

Griff 01-15-2013 05:45 AM

Some dogs just handle that stuff. When I was a kid "my" dog got hit a number of times, he died of very old age.

BigV 01-15-2013 06:15 AM

Gone!

Nirvana 01-16-2013 07:26 PM

My friend worked as an activity director for the seniors that lived in
a hospital/senior living quarters. She worked there for 16 years. When they got a new manager all of a sudden no matter what she did this woman screamed at her in her office at least once a week.

My friend did not say much just vented to me and her husband. This manager made her life hell for no reason. In this job you can have a max of 3 PIs>Personal Infractions These were her PIs :
1)clocking in 1 minute early.
2) not having the TV set to a religious channel on a Sunday that she was not scheduled to work and was actually on vacation in another state.
3) letting a woman in her care eat a piece of cake. Not a diabetic and no other reason given except that she could have given her a healthier choice? WTF? These people live there, they are not on restricted diets. They can bring in any food they want.

My friend is the nicest person ever and had a sucky job where she took care of families and their dying or sick family members this was hospice care too, and this after 16 years this was how the hospital treated her?

After arbitration the hospital was found to have no basis to fire her which means she was entitled to 4 months back salary and she can now apply for unemployment. She deserves every penny. :)

BigV 01-18-2013 03:01 PM

Off to school for SonofV's *final* IEP.

classicman 01-18-2013 11:57 PM

Beat me to it. SonofC's lol is next month.

limey 01-19-2013 09:36 AM

Seeing UT, Jim and Amanda having fun in the this olde apartemente thread :)

orthodoc 01-19-2013 10:01 AM

Ditto!
Also, waking up with enough energy to get on the elliptical for a few minutes. :)

footfootfoot 01-19-2013 12:34 PM

I lost 10 pounds and now fit in my 36" waist pants.

Pete Zicato 01-19-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 849117)
I lost 10 pounds and now fit in my 36" waist pants.

Well done, you.

Griff 01-19-2013 01:25 PM

w00t! Now you can start the dwellar waist size thread.

footfootfoot 01-19-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 849132)
w00t! Now you can start the dwellar waist size thread.

I think there'd be more lying there than anywhere.

Griff 01-19-2013 01:43 PM

You betcha!

BigV 01-20-2013 01:25 AM

Tonight was the opening bout of the 2013 season of the Rat City Rollergirls! Twil and I have season tickets this year and that grants us VIP status, priority seating, early entrance, plus we get these nifty badges on lanyards.... Why, yes, I *am* a bit of a fanboy, why do you ask?

Anywhoo, my favorite team won their bout tonight; the Socket Wenches defeated the Throttle Rockets! It's gonna be a great year!

BigV 01-23-2013 11:02 AM

This:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 849606)
Jackie and I are back together. We are "dating".

It was pointed out to me that I had not mentioned this fact to The Cellar. (Things have been astoundingly busy as you guise know.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 849708)
We're gonna need an announcement from Jackie, and pics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacquelita (Post 849715)
announced and posted :) Pics are from This New Years Eve

BigV 01-25-2013 12:11 AM

tonight I am happy.

My kids are warm and fed and home. They're doing their work. SonofV's making good progress on some important schoolwork. My BD made dinner for me (Ahi with ginger lime sauce on a bed of quinoa). We've had some laughs (see funny youtube clip thread). I had a good ride on my bike today, uphill all the way to the car repair shop. car was ready, and runs great. I put to use the bike rack I built and it works great. I got to talk to Twil a couple times; I love her, I love talking to her. I'm listening to good music (The Rolling Stones, at the moment). I have a present for a friend who's going away for awhile. I've solved a problem that's been facing me for some time. I'm just in a good place, my family's in a good place. Life's good today.

ZenGum 01-25-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 849117)
I lost 10 pounds and now fit in my 36" footfootfoot waist pants.

Sundae 01-25-2013 03:56 PM

Got a new pair of Tesco jeans last night. £10. Size 18.
Yay me.

Wore them to school today. Dig in a bit round the button when I lean over a table to mark Awesome Addition, but they do fit.

In July I was a size 24.

limey 01-25-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 850057)
Got a new pair of Tesco jeans last night. £10. Size 18.
Yay me.

Wore them to school today. Dig in a bit round the button when I lean over a table to mark Awesome Addition, but they do fit.

In July I was a size 24.

Fan-feckin'-tastic, mate! Well done!

Sent by thought transference

Aliantha 01-25-2013 06:20 PM

Good for you Sundae. :) I've been having similar experiences and while the manner of achieving the goal is somewhat less than desirable, it's still a goal achieved anyway. xxx

orthodoc 01-25-2013 06:30 PM

Congrats, Sundae and Ali! Although I hope you're not sick, Ali ...

Chocolatl 01-25-2013 06:49 PM

Congrats, foot, Sundae, and Ali!

(and Zen -- :lol: at the 36" being footfootfoot)

In the opposite direction of weight loss -- tonight I'm happy because Kitsune found me some ice cream sandwiches that are chocolate and dairy free. It's the first ice cream I've had in over two months! :yum:

BigV 01-25-2013 07:11 PM

Dairy free ice cream sandwiches?!?

Hmmmmmmmmm.... Do they say "Astronaut Ice Cream" on the package? ;p. Regardless, how do they taste?

xoxoxoBruce 01-25-2013 08:44 PM

Big V, grab some fresh blueberries at the market, they're pouring in from where it's summer.
Freeze those babies, then stir them into some yogurt. The yogurt will freeze to the berries and make a healthy and tasty ice cream substitute.

Clodfobble 01-25-2013 10:35 PM

They make darn good ice cream substitutes out of both coconut milk and almond milk. The chocolate-free "sandwich" part, though, I don't know how that works.

DanaC 01-26-2013 05:30 AM

Maybe they've used carob?

DanaC 01-26-2013 05:36 AM

Looking at the 'So Delicious' ice cream range, they do an ice cream sandwich that has gained excellent customer reviews with chocolatey looking biscuit, that the reviewers said was really nice.

The ingredients for the biscuits are:

Quote:

WAFER (WHEAT FLOUR, DRIED CANE SYRUP, PALM OIL, BROWN RICE SYRUP, CARAMEL COLOR, BAKING SODA, COCOA, CANOLA LECITHIN, SALT, NATURAL VANILLA FLAVOR).
and for the icecream:

Quote:

NON-DAIRY FROZEN DESSERT [WATER, ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM), ORGANIC AGAVE SYRUP, CHICORY ROOT EXTRACT, CAROB BEAN GUM, GUAR GUM, VANILLA EXTRACT, NATURAL FLAVOR, VANILLA BEAN SPECS],
http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/prod...nis-sandwiches

[eta]hang on...that says cocoa..I thought they were chocolate free...

Chocolatl 01-26-2013 05:44 AM

That's them! They're really good, though the coconut taste is still pretty evident. I'll double check for the cocoa later on.

ETA: there was in fact cocoa in the wafer part. :( Kits misread it as carob at the store and I didn't think to look. Ah, well -- it was such a small amount. We'll see if Beans explodes later today. Hope not, cuz the sandwiches were good and I'm looking forward to the rest of the box!

footfootfoot 01-26-2013 09:32 AM

If you can live without the sandwich part there are some really awesome dairy free ice cream stuff.

I'll check them out at the coop, I don't recall the names.

Griff 01-26-2013 11:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Moose Couch tested and found most excellent for sleepover recovery.

xoxoxoBruce 01-26-2013 11:54 AM

Ha ha, that's great.

When the boss tells you your sleeping on the couch tonight, she can't figure out why you're smiling. :haha:

Trilby 01-26-2013 11:57 AM

only a two dog night, eh?

Looks great though! I like!

Griff 01-26-2013 11:59 AM

Yeah, it never got below 0 last night. :)

Gravdigr 01-26-2013 12:21 PM

Love the flop-eared puppeh!! Best Friend's border collie/blue heeler, Annie, used to do the same 'flop-one-ear' thing when something got her attn. Hasn't done it for a bit, now.

xoxoxoBruce 01-26-2013 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some dogs are more reliable at that. :haha:

BigV 02-01-2013 01:34 AM

To all of us who could use a little encouragement!

I give you, Kid President!

Griff 02-01-2013 06:21 AM

Thanks, Kid President!

Clodfobble 02-01-2013 07:37 AM

I am going to make a conscious effort to replace "I hate my life" inside my head with "Not cool, Robert Frost."

glatt 02-01-2013 07:57 AM

That's a great video.

Kid has a cast on his hand at the end, but is still upbeat.

Sundae 02-01-2013 01:16 PM

Lots of compliments today and on Monday. I think it's when I wear heels (albeit low).
I suppose it equals making more of an effort.

Haven't lost any more weight in this last week.
Not too worried about that, but will monitor what I am eating if I'm still the same next week, Given what I think I am consuming I should still be decreasing weekly.

infinite monkey 02-01-2013 02:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm happy because my friend invited me to a Bowl party on Sunday. No, not the Super Bowl, the PUPPY BOWL. We're gonna hang out in fuzzy jammies and drink beers and cheer on the puppies. While her FIVE dogs clamor for our attention.

Animal Planet. 3:00. Be there.

(I'm so excited!)

BigV 02-01-2013 04:06 PM

Hello from Denver.

limey 02-01-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 851112)
I'm happy because my friend invited me to a Bowl party on Sunday. No, not the Super Bowl, the PUPPY BOWL. We're gonna hang out in fuzzy jammies and drink beers and cheer on the puppies. While her FIVE dogs clamor for our attention.

Animal Planet. 3:00. Be there.

(I'm so excited!)

This looks like FUN!!!

Sent by thought transference

monster 02-01-2013 10:33 PM

you cannot have a puppy, IM