The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

monster 02-18-2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 711983)
Same reason they confiscated the flannels (remember those?) and towels Mum left to wash and dry him.
There have been so many deaths of vulnerable patients from SARS et al, there is little deemed extraneous left on wards. I would expect even cards are suspect these days.

*sigh* that's ridiculous. Mental well-being is a large part of overall health. How can one not go insane in such an environment? it's political correctness gone mad!

limey 02-18-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 712100)
... it's political correctness gone mad!

Have you been reading the Daily Mail?

Sundae 02-18-2011 10:23 AM

She's not quoting The Taxpayer's Alliance, so probably not.

monster 02-18-2011 10:46 AM

I vaguely remember a sketch show from the 90s with guys dressed as conservative women using "it's political correctness gone mad" as a refrain. But I couldn't find it on youtube.

harry enfield? little britain people? I dunno

Pico and ME 02-18-2011 11:07 AM

Busom Buddies was in the 80's....but I dont know if it dealt with political correctness or not.

Edit: Oh sorry, not really related.

footfootfoot 02-18-2011 11:17 AM

Just reserved our awesome campsite in Maine. Got the last available dates too.

glatt 02-18-2011 11:20 AM

Where in Maine?

skysidhe 02-18-2011 11:32 AM

well deserved R&R foot

Big Sarge 02-18-2011 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was so down out until I received a wonderful Valentine from SG. WOW!! I was kind of down and hadn't even checked my personal mail in a week. One of my officers picked up my mail and brought by the court. That's where I opened. Even the judge said I had the biggest shit eating grin!! SG - thanks for brightening my world!!

Tulip 02-18-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 712181)
I was so down out until I received a wonderful Valentine from SG. WOW!! I was kind of down and hadn't even checked my personal mail in a week. One of my officers picked up my mail and brought by the court. That's where I opened. Even the judge said I had the biggest shit eating grin!! SG - thanks for brightening my world!!

Awwwww...

TheMercenary 02-18-2011 02:39 PM

Weather in the high 70's, absolutely beautiful out!

Sundae 02-18-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

I was so down out until I received a wonderful Valentine from SG

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulip (Post 712197)
Awwwww...

It's almost better being a late arrival because it is unexpected and prizes are therefore worth double points. Glad it made you smile Sarge.

I am happy at present because we have a fancy dress day coming up at school. On World Book Day we dress as a character from any book (ideally a favourite, but of course staff work with the parameters of their year group's knowledge).

I thought my vampire dress (my costume in 2008 when I went to see Jeremy Dyson) was a black dress with a red insert. But no! It's red with a black insert so will work perfectly for my Queen of Hearts costume. Along with the red wig I already have from a Red Nose Day before I became a Dwellar. And I plan to add gold cardboard hearts with velcro as I am an untidy seamstress.

I admit I've bought a crown. But it was a cheap one (cardboard) and I will be adding a heart. I also want to make a hitting stick with a heart on the end - think gold papered heart-topped wand. I don't think it's really a hitting stick, but that gets the point across - I was raised on pomp and circumstance and believe me, it's not a sceptre.

There are some characters I'd rather be, but the class did the Queen of Hearts nursery rhyme earlier this term. And even if I had the money to hire/ buy a Disney Princess costume my pride and prejudice would simply not allow it. Given my druthers I'd be Death from Neil Gaiman's The Sandman. I'd look more like Nessa from Gavin and Stacey though. Without even the added sexiness of being Welsh.

DanaC 02-18-2011 04:47 PM

Oh, Sundae....What's occurrin'? ;p

skysidhe 02-18-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 712200)
I am happy at present because we have a fancy dress day coming up at school. On World Book Day we dress as a character from any book (ideally a favourite, but of course staff work with the parameters of their year group's knowledge).

There are some characters I'd rather be, but the class did the Queen of Hearts nursery rhyme earlier this term.

ahhhh, fun!

monster 02-18-2011 10:13 PM

POSTING FROM MY NEW 'PUTER.....

jimhelm 02-18-2011 11:33 PM

Yay! Grats!

roygrimes50 02-19-2011 04:13 AM

Happiness is in your own hands that's up to you when you feel it.....make yourself happy then only you can make others happy!!!

ZenGum 02-19-2011 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 712235)
POSTING FROM MY NEW 'PUTER.....

PITY ABOUT THE CAPS LOCK KEY BEING DEFECTIVE, EH? :p:

Nirvana 02-19-2011 08:39 AM

1st calf born at 2 am, heifer, 54 to go :)

monster 02-19-2011 08:45 AM

congratulations. heifer cigar.

monster 02-19-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 712264)
PITY ABOUT THE CAPS LOCK KEY BEING DEFECTIVE, EH? :p:

HAHA

I'm just being LOUD. (Same keyboard anyway :p:)

Sundae 02-19-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 712217)
Oh, Sundae....What's occurrin'? ;p

Tidy

ZenGum 02-20-2011 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 712272)

What if she doesn't veal like one?

limey 02-20-2011 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 712272)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 712412)
What if she doesn't veal like one?

We'll just have to bully her into it!

footfootfoot 02-20-2011 11:15 AM

OK. That's just about enough. This entire thread is on report.

limey 02-20-2011 11:24 AM

I thought we'd calved up the puns market quite nicely there ...:bolt:

monster 02-20-2011 03:41 PM

that was your first mis-steak

limey 02-20-2011 05:53 PM

Now you've got me cowed!

footfootfoot 02-20-2011 07:16 PM

Mooove it!

monster 02-20-2011 07:27 PM

We need to move this along brisket-ly or footy will have a beef with us

ZenGum 02-21-2011 02:09 AM

Pull the udder one!

I had a good interaction with a student today. Seen her four times over the last four weeks, building up certain study skills, until today I was able to put the last pieces in place and she "got" the technique I was teaching. :)

bluecuracao 02-21-2011 02:27 AM

I found the good bread knife!

It's a long, slim thing...and it was on the floor, tucked under a cabinet. I can't figure out for the life of me how it ended up under there.

Trilby 02-21-2011 06:13 AM

Today is Cake Day!

:yum:

Sundae 02-21-2011 07:14 AM

Got the final bits & peices for my Queen of Hearts costume today.
Now just need to start putting it together.

Hope I bought enough velcro...
This afternoon I intend to make the gold cardboard hearts and stick on the velcro. Then depending how sew-y I feel I might get the velcro onto the dress.
Then Tuesday I'll start making my top of my hitting stick from sheets of thin foam/ paper.
I'm hoping that when I go on my play-date to Alison's on Wednesday she'll have something I can paint the stick with - ideally gold or red spray paint. If not I'll have to come up with another plan.

All excited about this.
Just hope it's cold next Friday - me in a wig = much hotness, and not the good kind.

zippyt 02-21-2011 05:08 PM

me = much hotness

There Fixed it for ya

limey 02-22-2011 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 712716)
me = much hotness

Too dam' right!

plthijinx 02-22-2011 03:16 AM

Quote:

fantastic brother! keep your chin UP things are getting better! all smiles are worth a ton in the heart!

plthijinx 02-22-2011 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecuracao (Post 712532)
I found the good bread knife!

It's a long, slim thing...and it was on the floor, tucked under a cabinet. I can't figure out for the life of me how it ended up under there.

please don;t talk about my junk that way.

plthijinx 02-22-2011 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 712546)
...much hotness...

bet sarge would like that when you come to visit! just sayin. ok bai.

TheMercenary 02-22-2011 08:02 AM

80 Degrees yesterday, high 70's today. Life is good.

plthijinx 02-22-2011 04:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
day off, 77 degrees mostly clear skies. beautiful day. grilling fresh red snapper. so lessee here....

snapper? check.
beer? checkabrewski!
tevo;d daytona 500? check.
good cigar too? check.

Pete Zicato 02-22-2011 04:16 PM

plt, are you marinating there? I always read that marinating in aluminum was bad.

Tulip 02-22-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 712200)
It's almost better being a late arrival because it is unexpected and prizes are therefore worth double points. Glad it made you smile Sarge.

I thought my vampire dress (my costume in 2008 when I went to see Jeremy Dyson) was a black dress with a red insert. But no! It's red with a black insert so will work perfectly for my Queen of Hearts costume. Along with the red wig I already have from a Red Nose Day before I became a Dwellar. And I plan to add gold cardboard hearts with velcro as I am an untidy seamstress.

I admit I've bought a crown. But it was a cheap one (cardboard) and I will be adding a heart. I also want to make a hitting stick with a heart on the end - think gold papered heart-topped wand. I don't think it's really a hitting stick, but that gets the point across - I was raised on pomp and circumstance and believe me, it's not a sceptre.

There are some characters I'd rather be, but the class did the Queen of Hearts nursery rhyme earlier this term. And even if I had the money to hire/ buy a Disney Princess costume my pride and prejudice would simply not allow it. Given my druthers I'd be Death from Neil Gaiman's The Sandman. I'd look more like Nessa from Gavin and Stacey though. Without even the added sexiness of being Welsh.

You know what happens when you say stuff like this right? PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

plthijinx 02-22-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 712880)
plt, are you marinating there? I always read that marinating in aluminum was bad.

yeah but only for a couple hours.

never heard that....why? when i go offshore fishing and bring home the catch i automatically prepare the fish for the next day and marinate in an aluminuminuminim pan.....what;s up? oh no! am i gonna die?!?!?! lmao! no, seriously, what have you heard?

plthijinx 02-22-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulip (Post 712881)
You know what happens when you say stuff like this right? PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

YEP!!! pics or it didn;t happen!!

Pete Zicato 02-22-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plthijinx (Post 712885)
yeah but only for a couple hours.

never heard that....why? when i go offshore fishing and bring home the catch i automatically prepare the fish for the next day and marinate in an aluminuminuminim pan.....what;s up? oh no! am i gonna die?!?!?! lmao! no, seriously, what have you heard?

I don't think it's a health thing. I read that the acids in the marinades can react with metal especially aluminum. It's supposed to give the meat a metallic taste.

plthijinx 02-22-2011 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
huh. really? maybe i;ll try a different pan but i really haven;t noticed a difference. and btw dinner was extremely excellent!

ZenGum 02-23-2011 01:20 AM

Trace amounts of aluminu ... alumini ... ya you know, refined bauxite ... are suspected in alzheimers disease. Can't be bothered searching for a cite. But Alumin*m is fairly reactive, it could well react with an acidic marinade. I am not a chemist. Just a smartasss.

Clodfobble 02-23-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum
Can't be bothered searching for a cite.

Better be careful. Some people don't like those cites because they don't like thinking about one of the major sources of aluminum in the average person's environment. You could accidentally step into a violently politicized debate without even realizing it.

footfootfoot 02-23-2011 09:31 AM

It will react. Dissolve, actually. Yumm

ZenGum 02-23-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 712955)
Better be careful. Some people don't like those cites because they don't like thinking about one of the major sources of aluminum in the average person's environment. You could accidentally step into a violently politicized debate without even realizing it.

That would never happen here. ;)

Aliantha 02-23-2011 05:33 PM

What's making me happy today? Not much!

eta: I just won a war of wills with Max, so that's improved things a bit for me.

DanaC 02-24-2011 03:15 AM

lol victory is sweet huh Ali? :p

This should have been posted yesterday, but it's still making me smile today so;

I got a card from Sundae in the post :0 It is awesome. It's a Moonpig Cellarity Day card.

kerosene 02-24-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 712530)
I had a good interaction with a student today. Seen her four times over the last four weeks, building up certain study skills, until today I was able to put the last pieces in place and she "got" the technique I was teaching. :)

I may have my brain in the gutter today, but that sounded awfully naughty, right there.

God save me if he teaches 6 year olds or something.

Sundae 02-26-2011 03:59 PM

Less than 60 hours and I'm back in school.

monster 02-26-2011 05:48 PM

Today had a shitload of potential to go horribly, horribly wrong..... and it didn't. In fact it went very, very right. But I was on the edge of my nerves the whole bloody day. And now I'm drinking beer when I shouldn't. ho hum

ZenGum 02-27-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerosene (Post 713189)
I may have my brain in the gutter today, but that sounded awfully naughty, right there.

God save me if he teaches 6 year olds or something.

University, thank goodness, and regarding some of the students, I wish! Not this particular one, though.

Sundae 03-01-2011 12:51 PM

Had my nails painted today, my treat to myself for being a good girl.
And I go back Thursday afternoon to get a "free" airbrush (it's included in the price I paid today). I'm going to have hearts for my Queen of Hearts costume, but I didn't want to have them done today or it will lose impact.

Oh and I didn't spend any money in town today, apart from getting my nails done.
Oh. Yes I did. But only in the supermarket. And it wasn't on booze.

jimhelm 03-01-2011 03:33 PM

overheard:

A sales manager is in my office looking for a deal package, and a salesperson comes in and says, "John, there is a lady here for you, and I believe she is wasted. She's shitty drunk."

Sundae 03-03-2011 03:35 PM

Dressing Up

1 Attachment(s)
(and some other things)

I didn't get my free airbrush.

Basically the family-run salon have both scheduled and drop-in clients.
I was advised to book. I did.
It worked fine last time, with the same guy I booked this appointment with.
When I arrived I was told "Five, ten minute."
Nope.
Thirty minutes later I just walked out.
All three technicians were still engaged in Deluxe Foot treatments and I had to get home to feed Diz. I will not go back there.

Happiness?
My session with the Tiger Cub today was observed not only by the Speech Therapist, but also with my class Teacher. Added together their qualifications probably equal twelve years in education if not more.
Me, off-the-street-no-training have managed to establish a rapport with him, and really draw him in.

No, I'm not boasting.
Anyone in this position would have the same result.
I'm just glad I'm not screwing up.
I am very well supported and I work from information gathered by professionals and his parents.
I'm just so very happy that what I am doing, in following their plans, is working in the way they hoped.

My alternative to airbrushing is below.
My hearts have a sideways slant.
Whatever, the kids are going to be more interested in their own costumes than mione!