The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Shawnee123 08-13-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 475809)
I decided to check online to see if I could get a manual for our anserphone. Yes, of course I could!

So after being here nearly 5 months and accepting that we use a standard message because no-one knew how to personalise it... I can finally give callers some useful information! Starting with the fact that we're only here 10-6, Mon-Fri. Perhaps it's because we're an arts company, but a surprising amount of people call a couple of times over the weekend, leaving increasingly baffled/ irritated messages.

Do any of those messages start with "I'm not sorry about ur finger?" :lol:

Sundae 08-13-2008 04:20 PM

Not yet, but it's only a matter of time..!

Clodfobble 08-13-2008 05:21 PM

We got out in the little inflatable pool today. It wasn't too hot, Minifob kept the splashing to a reasonable level, and Minifobette actually had no problem getting splashed, even when he got her in the face a couple of times. I can't be sure because I was holding her up from behind, but I think she actually laughed about it at one point. And when it was time to come inside he did so without a fuss (well, okay, he was bribed with the offer of Nilla wafers.) It was a really nice afternoon.

lookout123 08-13-2008 05:25 PM

This is the last week before Lil Lookout heads back to school so I took the morning off to hang out with him. Nice morning starting with some soccer in the backyard, some Battlefront on playstation, then to Barnes and Noble for some starbucks and reading. For the first time he picked out a book with exactly zero pictures in it. :)

DanaC 08-13-2008 06:45 PM

Quote:

For the first time he picked out a book with exactly zero pictures in it.
Aww bless:) that's a lovely milestone.

What's making me happy today is:

- the bank wrote to me and offered to extend my overdraft facility. Yey. This means I have been a good girl for a year and not played silly buggers with my bank account. I persuaded them to apply it to my account this week instead of next week as per the letter. This means the direct debit which was due to bounce hideously this morning instead had a soft landing:P

- I woke up this morning (admittedly rather later than planned) feeling competant and motivated. Yey. Got loads done. I've really been unconscionably lazy recently and have let my case work build up. So, today I got through a bunch of it and made calls I'd been putting off, and chased up stuff that I had been avoiding chasing. Had a really positive visit to a constituent, and was even able to deliver some good news to a group of residents.

- to reward myself for being a grown-up today, I treated myself to two Big Finish audio plays, at a cost of £7.99 each and have them downloaded onto my laptop ready to take upstairs and listen in bed. Cup of tea, slice of cheesecake and a Doctor Who audio play. Nice.

Aliantha 08-13-2008 07:47 PM

I got a package from someone very wonderful last night. It's a book about the things your friends will tell you about pregnancy that the doctors wont.

I've read the first few chapters and they've been very amusing and quite spot on as far as all the crap that happens to pregnant women.

Thanks SG. You are a true sweetheart! xoxox

Sundae 08-13-2008 08:26 PM

You're welcome.
I doubt it contains any surprises but I read it a while back and thought it was totally you.

You are now morally obliged to provide the Cellar with the first baby picture, rather than selling it to a celebrity magazine. There is no such thing as a free lunch... er, book.

Aliantha 08-13-2008 08:29 PM

lol...well I did have an offer from Womens Weekly, but I think I know where my loyalties lay. ;)

Griff 08-14-2008 07:08 AM

We had what turned into a long bull session at the nursing home last night. Lil' Pete's first fencing maestro was holding court. He was in his glory. He gave lessons to Lil' and a former student who was a Cornell varsity fencer, then had them bout. It was a good chance to measure Lil's progress. She fenced beautifully and integrated some new stuff in they'd been working onand got some insight into college fencing from someone who's been there. oh yeah, Lil won

Ibby 08-14-2008 09:09 AM

The girl that just moved in downstairs
in addition to being... way cute
is the ONLY person i've met, my age
who can hold their own with me
when it comes to rock&roll

i mean this girl knows her shit. She can name the members of the Velvet Underground. She's head over heels for Neil Young.

shes just amazing.

there is another guy sorta in the picture... the guy moving in over on the other side of the building, who is quite a bit better looking than me, has apparently known her since preschool (though hasnt had much (any?) contact with her since), but the two are pretty close already apparently. Unless i'm reading it wrong it looks like there might be a little there, but...

i've got a year. and i really like this girl.
i think i'm taking her out to dinner this weekend

we'll see. we'll see.
=]

HungLikeJesus 08-14-2008 10:20 AM

Strange weather in Colorado. Some areas are expecting up to a foot of snow tomorrow.

BigV 08-14-2008 10:38 AM

My new haircut.

Sundae 08-14-2008 10:58 AM

Picture!?

I'm happy because I just got back from the docs. He listened, asked questions and listened again (this time with his stethescope) to my belly, my chest and my throat.

Yes, he agrees I have reflux, and potentially a gastric problem, but it isn't anything more sinister (I wasn't worried about that to be honest). He's put me on PPIs for two weeks then I come back for a review. If they don't work I might have an endoscopy, but again, I don't expect that to be the case.

Yay! An end to the heartburn!

Cicero 08-14-2008 11:11 AM

I am going to Colorado...I hope I am not in a foot of snow tomorrow....

I can't wait!! I am leaving in 45 minutes! How fun! An adventure! On my own!

Clodfobble 08-14-2008 11:44 AM

Monster and her family will be visiting shortly! Hooray!

Sundae 08-14-2008 11:47 AM

Now that is a real hooray!
Damn I'd love to be there with you.

DanaC 08-14-2008 11:52 AM

Ibby, honey you sound ever so slightly smitten :P

Griff 08-14-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 476144)
Picture!?
Yes, he agrees I have reflux, and potentially a gastric problem, but it isn't anything more sinister (I wasn't worried about that to be honest). He's put me on PPIs for two weeks then I come back for a review. If they don't work I might have an endoscopy, but again, I don't expect that to be the case.

Yay! An end to the heartburn!

Have you considered food allergies? I haven't had any serious reflux since I said goodbye to beer (and most other wheat). Back when I had the endoscopy etc... they said I'd be on acid blockers for life. I haven't used any in I don't know how long.

BigV 08-14-2008 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 476144)
Picture!?
--snip

If you insist:

Ibby 08-14-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 476179)
Ibby, honey you sound ever so slightly smitten :P

nah, nope, not me, nuh-uh, not at all

=D

Sundae 08-14-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 476192)
Have you considered food allergies? I haven't had any serious reflux since I said goodbye to beer (and most other wheat). Back when I had the endoscopy etc... they said I'd be on acid blockers for life. I haven't used any in I don't know how long.

It's something I'll start thinking about... As and when I have another attack I'll detail my food for the last 24 hours in a food diary.

monster 08-14-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 476169)
Monster and her family will be visiting shortly! Hooray!

:blush: aaawwww. cf and her famille are just the loveliest. We had to frisk Thor and Hector for Minifob's toys as we left. Thanks for having us, hon, it was lovely to meet you :)

(we're just finishing up in the Denny's round the corner before the big haul North...... ;))

Aliantha 08-14-2008 05:46 PM

I don't get reflux if I don't drink and don't stress too much. I also find if I eat much more bland food it doesn't happen either. These things are fairly obvious though. Dairy can also cause reflux even if you aren't lactos intollerant. There's an enzyme in milk that causes it.

I had an endoscopy shortly before my wedding because I was in such a state with my digestion. Apparently the valve to my oesophagus doesn't work properly all the time. They also suggested that I could be susceptible to a disorder called barretts disease which is a pre-cancerous type of thing. Anyway, an endoscopy can be a good way of checking things out there, and well worth it really. At least you know what's going on down there then, and it's really no big deal. They knock you out for it and you wake up and get tea and bikkies.

jinx 08-14-2008 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 476243)
It's something I'll start thinking about... As and when I have another attack I'll detail my food for the last 24 hours in a food diary.

Just fyi, it takes a good 7 days for dairy to clear your system, not sure about other foods..

Sundae 08-15-2008 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 476247)
They also suggested that I could be susceptible to a disorder called barretts disease which is a pre-cancerous type of thing.

That's what my Uncle has just been diagnosed with.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 476258)
Just fyi, it takes a good 7 days for dairy to clear your system, not sure about other foods..

I doubt it's dairy - I have so little of it in my diet at present. But it's useful info, thanks you two.

FStop 08-15-2008 08:47 AM

I just got paid today. (that's making me happy enough!)
I'm taking a half-day at work, leaving at noon, going up to the local DHL distribution center to have an interview for a part-time dockworker.
Now that doesn't seem like much of a big deal, but I'm hoping that it will grow to full-time. See, my job I'm at now requires a 30-mile (48km for all the metric folks) commute, one-way. So i'm at 60 mi (96.5km!) per day, just to get to work. Now I'm sure some of you might drive further, but regardless, the DHL gig is only 4 miles away. If I can get this job eventually to full-time, I can totally wipe out this commute-heavy-madness crap I'm into now.
However, this job allows me to sit on here for hours a day without worry of getting caught and whatnot. And that's a rarity for anybody, I'm sure. ;)

Hopefully I'll be able to get this job, work both for awhile, and make assloads of moolah. I want to be closer to home, spend less on gas, and make more money. Keep your fingers crossed! :)

monster 08-15-2008 09:13 AM

excellent stuff, Fstop. Good luck! you a fellow Brit, then?

kerosene 08-15-2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero (Post 476154)
I am going to Colorado...I hope I am not in a foot of snow tomorrow....

I can't wait!! I am leaving in 45 minutes! How fun! An adventure! On my own!

And no visit for me?? :sniff:

bbro 08-15-2008 09:33 AM

I got my heater!! :D Apparently pulling out the medical card swayed them. YAY!! :jig:

Sundae 08-15-2008 09:44 AM

Good for you. Hope you'll be toasty in the shortest possible time.

HungLikeJesus 08-15-2008 09:58 AM

Just don't catch your granny blanket on fire.

bbro 08-15-2008 10:00 AM

That would be my luck, wouldn't it. But Granny/Bunny blanket is going home today.

FStop 08-15-2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 476360)
excellent stuff, Fstop. Good luck! you a fellow Brit, then?

Kind of, I suppose. My family moved here to America in 1909, so it's kinda close. I used to hang out alot as a kid with my Great-Grandmother, and she was directly from England. (Oldbury, Birmingham)
I plan on going out there someday, Mum says I've got a few cousins out there I could contact. But if I had the choice and the means, I would emigrate.

BigV 08-15-2008 10:18 AM

Yesterday I retired the water mattress. It had developed its last leak. It had a very good run. It was purchased in 1985. It hasn't been replaced yet, but soon, soon.

xoxoxoBruce 08-15-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FStop (Post 476380)
But if I had the choice and the means, I would emigrate.

The grass is always greener.... :rolleyes:

SteveDallas 08-15-2008 12:11 PM

Mrs. Dallas returns from England today. (Four hours late thanks to airline delays, but still.)

FStop 08-15-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 476399)

Oh believe me, Given a passport and a few thousand dollars, I'd kiss Old Glory goodbye.

DanaC 08-15-2008 08:08 PM

Yey! My new computer is finally working!

When it arrived about ten days ago I had great trouble trying to install windows. Couldnt get a stable setup. Eventually took it to our local computer place and got them to look at it. Turns out both RAM sticks were buggered lol. They were faulty and also "cheap shite" according to our comp guy. So...got two more RAM sticks and decided to get them to put Vista on.

The cheap computer, not so cheap after all :P Lesson learned: don't bargain hunt the infrastructure of your rig. The original machine cost £280, with no OS installed. Cost of new RAM, Vista and setting everything up: £180.

Oh well. I have ended up with a very nice rig and it's all working well. I can now access whatever fucking sites I like without the constant presence of the council's Webmarshall programme looking over my shoulder. Hurray:)

Perry Winkle 08-16-2008 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 476399)

The grass is always green in England. I mean that only in the literal sense.

lookout123 08-16-2008 10:36 AM

I played 40 minutes last night and the knee held together through a few rough hits, including one that saw the other guy red carded. it is screaming at me today, but that's not the point.

Chocolatl 08-16-2008 12:04 PM

I got my learner's permit today! :jig:

A few months shy of my 23rd birthday, I am finally learning how to drive.

HungLikeJesus 08-16-2008 12:41 PM

It must be tough to live in Tampa and not be able to drive. How have you been getting around all these years?

Chocolatl 08-16-2008 01:31 PM

The good will of friends and family, and a lot of luck. I'm looking forward to being able to go places without having to burden others or brave our joke of a public transportation system. (The last time I took the bus it took me 4.5 hours to get to my destination, which was only half an hour away by car.)

xoxoxoBruce 08-16-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 476572)
It must be tough to live in Tampa and not be able to drive. How have you been getting around all these years?

Having seen the lady's picture, I'd say any guy would stop and offer a lift. :D

FStop 08-17-2008 12:27 PM

I purchased the first two seasons of Reno 911. Hell yes. =)

Sundae 08-17-2008 02:18 PM

I move tomorrow.
I'm still in a shaky position - I'm moving into the pub I work in.

John could easily "do a HM" and ask me to move without notice.
AND
The pub is for sale and technically I could be out with 24 hours notice (though we ALL know even a cash sale takes longer)

BUT

I know I only have a couple of months hard saving to move somewhere more stable.
I am right on hand to take up any extra shifts and therefore earn more money.
I am allowed to bring Diz with me (I daren't admit how much I was worried about this in case people thought I wasn't taking the situation seriously enough)
I can still walk to work therefore saving while I am earning

Tonight is my last night on the office sofa (I haven't been home since a row last Monday night). It's taken me this long to sort out the practical matters. I@ll go and collect Diz after work tomorrow. If HM is there is will try to verbally agree and time and date to collect my things. If not I will leave a note.

Which means tomorrow is the last time I have to wash my hait in the work sink :) Then again - I managed to colour it again in such. WI;; take a pic.

Chocolatl 08-17-2008 02:26 PM

Good luck with everything, Sundae! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

limey 08-17-2008 04:34 PM

Hey, SG, congrats on the move. Keep looking after you and, as I said, don't let this set-back set you any further back than the minimum. Hugs'n'all! :grouphug: :hearts:

Clodfobble 08-17-2008 05:50 PM

Good for you for staying level-headed about the whole thing and sticking with your jobs. I think you're going to come out way ahead in the end.

Aliantha 08-17-2008 09:36 PM

I'm happy about the 1 hour facial I just had. Very relaxing.

Aliantha 08-17-2008 09:37 PM

Oh, and we sold our old house which settles today, so we'll be a little bit richer after 2.30pm today.

FStop 08-18-2008 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 476712)
I move tomorrow.
I'm still in a shaky position - I'm moving into the pub I work in.

John could easily "do a HM" and ask me to move without notice.
AND
The pub is for sale and technically I could be out with 24 hours notice (though we ALL know even a cash sale takes longer)

BUT

I know I only have a couple of months hard saving to move somewhere more stable.
I am right on hand to take up any extra shifts and therefore earn more money.
I am allowed to bring Diz with me (I daren't admit how much I was worried about this in case people thought I wasn't taking the situation seriously enough)
I can still walk to work therefore saving while I am earning

Tonight is my last night on the office sofa (I haven't been home since a row last Monday night). It's taken me this long to sort out the practical matters. I@ll go and collect Diz after work tomorrow. If HM is there is will try to verbally agree and time and date to collect my things. If not I will leave a note.

Which means tomorrow is the last time I have to wash my hait in the work sink :) Then again - I managed to colour it again in such. WI;; take a pic.

Good luck, kiddo. Baby steps, now. Hope everything turns out alright.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :beer:

Tink 08-18-2008 11:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hawks won in OT Saturday. It doesn't get any better than this!

SteveDallas 08-18-2008 12:38 PM

Pfft. Still preseason.

Tink 08-18-2008 01:11 PM

Correct. But what a way to start. Football fanatic I am.

binky 08-18-2008 01:41 PM

The kids went back to school today!

DanaC 08-18-2008 04:11 PM

Sundae, you're handling all this so well, honey. I'm so impressed. Brilliant news that you can take Diz with you. I doubt anybody would think you weren't taking the situation seriously wer you to express fear at the possibility of not being able to take him with you. We all understand how important he is to you.

Pilau sends supportive thoughts about sausages and gravy bones. Hope that helps.

BigV 08-18-2008 04:31 PM

Finding this:

Quote:

ScooterAnderson:
Is your BIOS clock changed? Reboot into BIOS and check it there. Also, thoroughly scrub your EV:System logs for any W32Time or related events. If the clock is getting changed in Windows, it should be logged in there...
Accepted Solution

04.23.2008 at 01:57PM PDT, ID: 21425314

Paka:
You probably have a DST bias issue. To clean your registry of time related items open a command prompt on that machine and type:
net stop w32time
w32tm /unregister
w32tm /register
net start w32time

Reboot and logon and your machine will synchronize with it's authenticating domain controller and then periodically (no other configuration is necessary).
Assisted Solution
turns out this was the case. very hard to find. I have been up for several minutes now without a time reset. yay me.

Still not sure about ability to login, though...or rather, how long my ability to login will last.

HungLikeJesus 08-18-2008 04:43 PM

I just took a mouse for a ride on my motorcycle. That almost always cheers me up, and is usually a new experience for the mouse.

This one seemed particularly pleased.

Razzmatazz13 08-18-2008 04:55 PM

First day of school! I like my classes and teachers so far, my child development class is going to be scary for me because it's only about 15 kids at most, and there's supposed to be a lot of presentations and group work...but after being mortified out of my own skin the other night because I ended up the center of attention (which I am not good at with adults/peers, only younger kids) I'm hoping that I'll get a bit more out of this major than I originally thought: The ability to talk when people are looking directly at me. Doesn't sound like a big thing but trust me...it is.