The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

SteveDallas 08-11-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 587218)
It sounds very lovely. Maybe I'll get off my butt next spring and plant a butterfly-attracting garden...and put out some hummingbird feeders. :)

My skimming resulted in me reading this as " . . . a butterfly-attacking garden."

Shawnee123 08-11-2009 03:21 PM

:smack: That's what I meant! Ooops.

;)

Aliantha 08-13-2009 11:00 PM

Our spear pump has water again, so I can water my other plants as well as my veges! :)

Sundae 08-14-2009 12:50 PM

I'm planning the trip on 14 September for Mum and me.
That's the date we're seeing John Barrowman on his opening night in La Cage Aux Folles in the West End.
In case you missed the other times I mentioned it.

I've accepted I will not get to Amsterdam this year.
Much as I planned it, I know I can't cope with it. And I'd probably royally screw myself up right now if I went.

SOME of my savings are being directed to this date.
Hang on - Monster's on holiday, right? :)
No, seriously - Mum is happy with what I pay her in housekeeping, and also appreciates the need for me to have things to look forward to. She isn't quite as excited about the performance as I am - she loves musicals the same, but is not as struck by the Barrowman.

SO.
NOT spending all my savings. Just enough to make it a super-special day.

Plan so far.
11.30 - London Walk. Darkest Victorian London ("peeling forbidden fruit") Cheaper than a film, but much MUCH more engaging.
13.00 - Lunch at Yo Sushi! Probably in Selfridges. There's about 4 in Central London that offer a Blue Plate Special on Mondays. Mum has never eaten sushi, but she'll love it.
14.30ish - haircut for Cherry! Yay! Off to Hair by Fairy, who did my hair beautifully when I first went short (when it was lilac). £13.50 - cheaper than the butchered job I got from the home hairdresser here.
16.00ish (after wandering round Covent Garden) cocktails at Harvey Nichols. The one expensive part of the day (they are £10.95-£15.00 each! We'll only have one! And mine will be alcohol free) Thing is, Mum has never been to Harvey Nicks, has always wanted to, but no-one else had the front to take her. I don't need designer clothes to hold my own. And bloody hell - Mum has put with me for 9 months.
17.00 - Dinner at a J D Wetherspoons just off Trafalgar Square. Two meals for under a tenner.
18.00 - Start walking down to the Embankment, to arrive nice and early (as taught by Mum) at the theatre, put a card in at the Stage Door, order interval drinks (a treat Mum will consider even more outrageous than Harvey Nicks!) and settle down with a programme between us for the performance.

It might not all come off like that.
But you can so see I am my Mum's daughter. The planning is such a part of the fun.
That's why Ste and I scrapped the idea of a surprise party for her 3 years ago - she loves that side of things and has passed it on to me. Which is why I'm happy to amend these plans if she wants.

Sundae 08-14-2009 01:00 PM

Double post, but this one is much shorter.
I've just found that there's an album of Neil & Tim Finn's songs, sung by female artists.

Despite adoring their voices, I know the reinterpretation will be fascinating.
Just have to wait for a cheapo copy... But now I know it's out there, I'm prepared to wait.

limey 08-14-2009 02:23 PM

SG that day out sounds absolutely fabulous! I love planning stuff too, especially when you know someone really well and can jam in all sorts of wee treats that are spot on for your "victim". Well done - I hope you have a truly marvellous time.

Chocolatl 08-16-2009 08:55 AM

Tomorrow is the first "official" day of my new job as a high school English teacher.

Griff 08-16-2009 09:16 AM

Go you!

TheMercenary 08-16-2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolatl (Post 588166)
Tomorrow is the first "official" day of my new job as a high school English teacher.

Congrats!

Just remember you can't be everybody's friend. Establish your authority early.

Shawnee123 08-16-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Wow. You go girl! :)

skysidhe 08-16-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

oh yay for you! How fun. Working in schools is the best. imo

ZenGum 08-16-2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 588174)
Congrats!

Just remember you can't be everybody's friend. Establish your authority early.

What Merc said.

What is your school's discipline procedure? Detention?

Get some detention slips, have them piled on the desk so everyone can see, and have the top one filled out with today's class and date and everything. Do not hesitate. The sooner you get a reputation for being strict, the less trouble you will have.

I actually learned this working in a late night petrol (gas) station before I did any teaching, but it applies in both cases.

limey 08-17-2009 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 588272)
What Merc said.

What is your school's discipline procedure? Detention?

Get some detention slips, have them piled on the desk so everyone can see, and have the top one filled out with today's class and date and everything. Do not hesitate. The sooner you get a reputation for being strict, the less trouble you will have.

I actually learned this working in a late night petrol (gas) station before I did any teaching, but it applies in both cases.

They have detention at petrol stations?! ! :3_eyes:

capnhowdy 08-17-2009 08:00 AM

I'm on vacation. Ahhhh.....

TheMercenary 08-17-2009 12:52 PM

Not there yet. Pack Sat. We start ours next Sunday. Off to the Carribbean for the week.