The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Shawnee123 04-15-2010 10:05 AM

Yeah, exactly, so someone please explain why HLJ and glatt are so very happy about it. :confused:

DanaC 04-15-2010 10:12 AM

I suspect he's happy that it was discovered before it did any harm.

Shawnee123 04-15-2010 10:15 AM

Well, I mean...yeah...but it just seemed a bit odd. Maybe my sense of irony is off today. ;)

And, uh...harm THAT WE KNOW OF. I mean, HLJ did come back to the Cellar and all. We don't know what other kinds of long-term damage he may have sustained.

glatt 04-15-2010 10:17 AM

I was just trying to be supportive. :p:

We've got a CO detector that has a numerical readout in addition to the alarm. Pretty cool. I've never seen it get off of zero.

A regular maintenance call turned up a backdraft problem with our furnace a few years back, and we corrected it, but got the CO detector anyway.

Shawnee123 04-15-2010 10:20 AM

Ours saved our lives when I was still married. We had a finished basement, big TV down there, and usually had electric heat but we were using a kerosene heater. The detector went off, we left the house and aired it out.

We could have died right there, watching TV.

HungLikeJesus 04-15-2010 10:25 AM

CO

For the last two years I've been working from home. Sometimes when my wife is traveling I don't leave the house, or even open the door, for days at a time.

During that time I've been having headaches. I gave up sugar for a week; I gave up caffeine for a week; I gave up alcohol for a week - (not all the same week).

I ripped up all the carpets and had hardwood floors put in (thinking it could be allergies). Now I'm hoping that this is it.

We have a CO detector, but it's in the ceiling, upstairs. I need to get another one for the basement.

Oh, and I can't say for sure that it didn't do any brain damage. I've been having trouble calculating square roots in my head.

Shawnee123 04-15-2010 10:32 AM

Well, join me over here, me with my tumah.

Last week I was talking to a student and I couldn't subtract 9 from 20. I just went completely blank.

But I have a CO detector.

Wow, glad you're OK, man.

Now, I want to work from home too. Any ideas?

HungLikeJesus 04-15-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 649004)

Now, I want to work from home too. Any ideas?

No, sorry. I'm starting a new job Monday. I think they're going to want me to come to the office. No more work-from-home for me, either.

I find adding easier than subtracting; to subtract 9 from 20, just add one and subtract 10.

Shawnee123 04-15-2010 10:41 AM

There are some consulting firms I could look into, but I don't know if I'm disciplined enough. Some days it's just so tempting.

HungLikeJesus 04-15-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 649009)
There are some consulting firms I could look into, but I don't know if I'm disciplined enough. Some days it's just so tempting.

Or you could just get a calculator.

Shawnee123 04-15-2010 10:44 AM

Dude, I don't want to work from home because I couldn't REMEMBER 9 from 20. I want to work from home so I don't have to drive through the rat maze to come to the rat race, so I can work in my pajamas, so I can burp whenever I want, so I don't have to look at humans right in their faces. :lol:

HungLikeJesus 04-15-2010 10:49 AM

Now I see. I thought you wanted to hire a consulting firm to calculate 20-9.

Shawnee123 04-15-2010 11:18 AM

Oh. They have those?

HungLikeJesus 04-15-2010 11:28 AM

And thanks glatt for being supportive.

Sundae 04-15-2010 01:46 PM

A friend has been in touch.
Probably the smartest, coollest and best-looking (well, you can't help noticing) person I've ever been lucky enough to call a friend.

IRL I mean. Although I guess I know Dana IRL too... Okay, I'll stop before I dig myself in too deep.

This woman has a golden aura, she's just a wonderful person. And she married a lovely man too. And she still made time for me. I feel like Jade Goody (pre-martyrdom) to her Kate Moss.

And lit up like a neon rainbow that she got in contact.

E - if you're reading this I promise to pay for the dry cleaning if you honk up.